Press Reports about Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill: January 2011 - October 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She receives money from the king because he is her father. And, that is what he wants to do. People who make a living out of cutting ribbons and opening meat markets, cannot critcize what she is doing. I think, she is living her life. She, obviously, was unhappy. Whether she marries Chris or not, she is growing up.

She receives money from the king because he is her father. And, that is what he wants to do. People who make a living out of cutting ribbons and opening meat markets, cannot critcize what she is doing. I think, she is living her life. She, obviously, was unhappy. Whether she marries Chris or not, she is growing up.

No one would say anything if Madeleine received money from the King's private funds. It's the money from the Kings appanage that is the problem; it is intended for the members of the Royal Family who actually represent Sweden on official events. Princess Madeleine has no engagements in Sweden I am aware of, which means she isn't really entitled to any money from the appanage. At least, that is my understanding.

No one would say anything if Madeleine received money from the King's private funds. It's the money from the Kings appanage that is the problem;

I thought the king does not tell who gets as much money from his apanage? How do we know she lives from his public money or not? For the Bernadottes sure can afford to pay for a daughter who lives in the US. What about princess Brigitta? She lives on Mallorca and not in Sweden but is considered to be a Royal Highness and member of the Royal House. Does she gets money from her brother?

No one would say anything if Madeleine received money from the King's private funds. It's the money from the Kings appanage that is the problem; it is intended for the members of the Royal Family who actually represent Sweden on official events. Princess Madeleine has no engagements in Sweden I am aware of, which means she isn't really entitled to any money from the appanage. At least, that is my understanding.

So I guess the question is (or one of them at least) isn't it up to the people of Sweden, the Parliament and/or the King to decide if Madeleine isn't entitled to any money from the appandage. Not us?

I mean not to be funny and/or rude in anyway, but we can talk about this all day long and at the end of the day, as a non citizen of Sweden----we are just talking about something that really doesn't affect us. And yes, I get that we talk about the Swedish royals (and others) because we have an interest in royalty and that is the purpose of the forum ---- but at the end of day I think we can go round and round on this topic and it still wont' solve/answer anything.

Last edited:
I thought the king does not tell who gets as much money from his apanage? How do we know she lives from his public money or not? For the Bernadottes sure can afford to pay for a daughter who lives in the US. What about princess Brigitta? She lives on Mallorca and not in Sweden but is considered to be a Royal Highness and member of the Royal House. Does she gets money from her brother?

Ternert has confirmed that Princess Madeleine receives money from the appanage but didn't specify how much.

So I guess the question is (or one of them at least) isn't it up to the people of Sweden, the Parliament and/or the King to decide if Madeleine isn't entitled to any money from the appandage. Not us?

Of course.
It is certainly not up to me since I'm not a Swedish taxpayer, nor am I connected with the country in any way. I was merely expressing my point of view. :)

Finnish Iltasanomat writes about the story in Klick!
The king and the queen are worried about Madeleine, about the criticism of her not working enough for her royal status. They would like everyone to focus on the little princess and they don´t want negative headlines, tells Jenny Alexandersson. The king and the queen didn´t care about that some people criticized the name of Estelle, but it is different with the criticism towards Madeleine.
Madeleine has explained her being away from Sweden by saying that she is working in Childhood. But according to newest information, she doesn´t spent so much time in Childhood as she says.
- Only few people know, how much Madeleine is seen at work. She doesn´t thrive there as much as she makes people believe. She lives a luxurious life with Chris, sits in coffee houses and classy restaurants, tells a source to Klick!.
Ruotsissa ihmetellään: Käykö Madeleine ollenkaan töissä? - Ilta-Sanomat

Thanks, LadyFinn :flowers:

When I read "friction in the family" I thought that it meant that there was friction or ill-feeling between some of the family members.

Thanks, Lumutqueen :flowers:

They should film a documentary of Madeleine's life in New York. Go behind the scenes of her work in childhood, what she does when shes not at the office, etc. I think the problem is no one understands what's she's doing over there. If we have a better understanding it'll cause people to lighten up on this situation.

They should film a documentary of Madeleine's life in New York. Go behind the scenes of her work in childhood, what she does when shes not at the office, etc. I think the problem is no one understands what's she's doing over there. If we have a better understanding it'll cause people to lighten up on this situation.

That´s absolutely true and it would answer many questions! Send an email to Bertil Ternet to arrange that :flowers:!!!!
BYe Bine

That is an excellent idea and you are spot on, by doing a documentary this should help to alleviate some of the negative feelings surrounding the situation with Madeleine.

Madeleine, Chris and Zorro left Stockholm yesterday, Chris was carrying Zorro.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

They had come from Verbier on Thursday morning and spent the whole day with Victoria, Daniel and Estelle in Haga Palace. Only a few people have known that Chris was in Sweden, and obviously this is an evidence that Chris is accepted as Madeleine´s future husband. Madeleine will return to Sweden to the baptism of Estelle, she will stay only two days in Sweden then.
Här åker Madeleine hem till New York | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation

Last edited:
The newest Svensk Damtidning writes that they have first photos of Madeleine's new home (I guess the photos are from outside), that Madeleine and Chris pay rent 40000 SEK (4500 euros) a month and that Chris has office at home.
Prinsessan Madeleines nya hem i New York | Svensk Damtidning
Google translation
At the paper version also photos of Madeleine and Chris walking with Zorro.
A teaser of the article here
SDT1216_

As of 11 April, that is only US$5910. Really not that much to be paying for an apt in the city. Do we know if it is 2 or 3 bedrooms and where exactly it is? A respectable 1 bedroom, just outside of SoHo, can (if lucky) start at $4000

As of 11 April, that is only US$5910. Really not that much to be paying for an apt in the city. Do we know if it is 2 or 3 bedrooms and where exactly it is? A respectable 1 bedroom, just outside of SoHo, can (if lucky) start at $4000

SvenskDam wrote earlier about a four room apartment.
At the teaser of this weeks SvenskDam it is written:
A Saturday walk in baseball caps only a little more than a quarter away from Central Park...
No guards follow her and she drops the dark cars and tinted windows.

Last edited:
SvenskDam wrote earlier about a four room apartment.
At the teaser of this weeks SvenskDam it is written:
A Saturday walk in baseball caps only a little more than a quarter away from Central Park...
No guards follow her and she drops the dark cars and tinted windows.

Hmm... I question how they're only paying around $6000 a month. Something very fishy.

:previous:
That's not very specific though, are there any other sources that may mention the location? Some pictures perhaps?

Princess Madeleine and Christopher O'Neill rent an apartment of 100 square metres in Manhattan at a cost of SEK 40,000 per month. So reports Svensk Damtidning in this week's edition.
While Madeleine has a packed schedule of work in Childhood it seems that Chris has a more relaxed schedule. According to Svensk Damtidning, he works from home after several years in the financial industry at firms Amphion Capital, NM Rothschild & Sons and Steinberg Asset Management.
Besides a couple of private investment it seems Chris has now also the main responsibility for the couple's dog Zorro, as he is often seen walking with Zorro.
Maddes finanskille agerar hundvakt - Realtid.se

Last edited:
Se & Hör writes that Chris has got such a good job offer from a financial company in Florida, that he couldn't refuse of it. And that Chris is leaving Madeleine.

This day's finnish Iltasanomat (paper version) quotes Se & Hör, which claimed that Madeleine is desperate because of that Chris prefers his career before love. Chris is going to take the job and it means that he has to move to Florida, where the headquarters of the company are. Madeleine can't move to Florida because her job is in New York.
Iltasanomat has called Aftonbladet's Mattias Sandberg, who doesn't believe that Chris and Madeleine will separate, although the story of Chris moving to Florida was true: "It can very well be true, that Chris is moving to Florida, but we don't believe that it is in other ways a significant matter. Chris isn't going to leave Madeleine. They are happy together and they will have their own apartment in New York in the future too".
If Chris is moving to Florida, it will be a big change to the lives of the couple, the distant love is a test for their relationship.

Last edited:
Expressen's royal reporter Johan T Lindwall told to Iltalehti, that he thinks that Madeleine and Chris will not separate, if Chris moves to Florida. According to the sources of Expressen, Chris has a house in Florida. Chris' move to Florida is rather surprising, because they just moved to live together. The article also points out, that money/salary doesn't hold Madeleine in NY, since she doesn't get any salary from her work in Childhood.
Hoviasiantuntija: Totuus Madden erosta | Kuninkaalliset | Iltalehti.fi

Madde's "kärlekslya", love nest.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/klick/article14778508.ab?teaser=true
http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/14778815/800/normal/4c89480b25c23/maddeny.jpg

Last edited:
So, hot on foot of hearing that Chris is taking up employment in Florida we see Madeleine pictured with her good friend and now, Carl Philip.

Is this a coincidence or is she very upset and has sent for reinforcements to console her. ?

So, hot on foot of hearing that Chris is taking up employment in Florida we see Madeleine pictured with her good friend and now, Carl Philip.

Is this a coincidence or is she very upset and has sent for reinforcements to console her. ?

Since Carl Philip has been seen only once with Madeleine, I think that Sofia is with him, they flew together from Sweden to Zurich. Maybe they have their own holiday in USA. Madeleine will accompany her mother at the events of Childhood on next Tuesday and Wednesday in New York. And in two weeks Madeleine will be in Sweden for the christening, she will also attend a dinner of Min Stora Dag at the 4th June, and she will attend at the National Day Festivities on 6th June. And she will have her 30th birthday on 10th June, hopefully she will celebrate it in Sweden.

According to the press if Chris takes the job, he should move in a month, in the beginning of June.

Last edited:
Since Carl Philip has been seen only once with Madeleine, I think that Sofia is with him, they flew together from Sweden to Zurich. Maybe they have their own holiday in USA. Madeleine will accompany her mother at the events of Childhood on next Tuesday and Wednesday in New York. And in two weeks Madeleine will be in Sweden for the christening, she will also attend a dinner of Min Stora Dag at the 4th June, and she will attend at the National Day Festivities on 6th June. And she will have her 30th birthday on 10th June, hopefully she will celebrate it in Sweden.

According to the press if Chris takes the job, he should move in a month, in the beginning of June.

Thanks a million for all that info, LadyFinn. :flowers:

She will certainly be kept busy in the foreseeable future.

The 30th birthday will be interesting. Celebrate in Sweden and maybe then fly to Florida to meet Chris as it looks as if she won't be in New York when he leaves it. ??

Regarding Chris' work offer in Florida, if he does accept it and Madeleine chooses to stay in New York, I'm afraid the relationship is doomed.
However much they care for each other, long-distance relationships rarely work.

Last edited:
Regarding Chris' work offer in Florida, if he does accept it and Madeleine chooses to stay in New York, I'm afraid the relationship is doomed.
However much they care fr each other, long-distance relationships rarely work.

I would be fearful for them too, Artemisia. IMO, it will certainly make or break them.

Florida isn't so far away, the flight time from Miami to New York is less than 3,5 hours.

Florida isn't so far away, the flight time from Miami to New York is less than 3,5 hours.

Is that all. ? For some mad reason I thought that it was about 12 hours. ! :bang:

I'm more hopeful now for the two of them being able to see one another very regularly. :flowers:

Unfortunately, 3,5 hours is still a very long trip. Basically, Madeleine and/or Chris would have to spend about 8 hours to see each other every day - which is pretty much impossible given both of them will be working. Realistically, it would mean weekend meetings at best - and I doubt a relationship can survive on days off only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom