Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 2: April 2012 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary (if I can) because I think it will be nice to get to know Sofia and the work she and the team do for Project Playground.

Better to hear from her rather than the folks that spread all kinds of false stuff about her.

Well, Sofia is really good in playing down her past and exaggerating her work in South Africa. She may work for PP in Sweden but it is Frida who does most of the real work in South Africa. According to the articles at the swedish press and the photos at PP's Instagram Sofia has been this year two times in South Africa, on Easter and in November. Yet the document claims that the life in Langa is normal work days for her and gives the impression that she lives there many months a year.
Sofia also says that she doesn't regret her bikini photos and Paradise Hotel. Those are just two occasions in her life and she has done so much more (what?). She suitably forgets the nude photos she posed when she was underage and the nude photos she posed for later. Sofia tells also that when they started they were both penniless students. But according to what I have read, Frida had a very wealthy boyfriend.
The program focuses too much on Sofia, but it is good that they tell also about Frida and that she was already in 2005 in South Africa and saw Langa. She moved to South Africa and worked there for as a volunteer for an AIDS organization before she started Project Playground. Frida is the real hero of Project Playground, she lives there and works there for the whole year. Of course the life in Langa and the work with the children isn't as rosy and easy as they try to show at the documentary and it is Frida who has to deal with that, not Sofia. Sofia lives the easy and comfortable life in Stockholm and gets most of the credit.

Norwegian royal expert Kjell Arne Totland says that many people see Monday's documentary as a carefully planned public relations program.
- Many Swedes are still skeptical of Prince Carl Philip's girlfriend because of her past as a glamour model and Paradise Hotel-participant, and therefore see tonight's documentary as part of a well planned public relations program to increase Sofia Hellqvist's reputation in public opinion. And as sufficient proof that she is now moving towards formalizing her relationship with the prince.
Svenskeprinsens kjæreste snakker ut om nakenfortiden - TV2.no
Translation

The reporter of the program, Renée Nyberg told to Expressen that there is great public interest in Sofia Hellqvist, a prerequisite for the interview was of course also to ask questions of her private life, the contrasts between of being at a royal ball and be in a shantytown.

Last edited:
It seems that Sofia has problems with her memory indeed. A pity that these interviewers don't do their homework.

The PR machinery is not very subtle, is it?

When was Sofia a (peniless) student? AFAIK she only went to secundary school... and even underage she made extra money by posing nude. Like Frida, Sofia also had a rich boyfriend twice her age just before she met CP, right?

exaggerating her work in South Africa

I find the title 'Secretary General' also rather pompous for a co-founder of PP, with a handful of employees. (I)NGO tend to use the title for their CAO, but PP is no Red Cross/Crecent or Amnesty International (yet). Anyway, it will look good on her business card for sure.

-
Do we know the ratings of the show? Since Expressen is referring to a great interest in Sofia?

Last edited:
I really don't care about Sofia's past and the confusion around it. I'm pretty much focused on the now and I really enjoyed seeing the work Project Playground do for these young people and their families.

I'm glad Sofia and Frida dedicate their time to this organization and are interested in helping others. That's the most important thing, IMO.

I find it interesting that Sofia claims that the children are her whole life and her family. She hardly knows the children since she spends about 5 or 6 weeks a year in Langa.

Johan T Lindwall claimed today at Expressen's live TV, that Carl Philip will spend Christmas with Sofia and her family in Älvdalen. Carl Philip leaves there right after the Queen's birthday party.

I find it interesting that Sofia claims that the children are her whole life and her family. She hardly knows the children since she spends about 5 or 6 weeks a year in Langa.

Johan T Lindwall claimed today at Expressen's live TV, that Carl Philip will spend Christmas with Sofia and her family in Älvdalen. Carl Philip leaves there right after the Queen's birthday party.

Over time you do get a chance to know the children and you end up developing a relationship and friendship with them. You can see the affection between those kids and Sofia and Frida.

It looks to me that Sofia has turned the corner on her former self. She will always be the "horrible woman who posed nude" to some people. If C-P wants to marry her, well, she'll be another "commoner" who snagged a prince and she will be a princess. I don't have a problem with that, nor do I have a problem with her former ambitions. I just wish he'd pop the question and get on with it.

I just wish he'd pop the question and get on with it.

On that we can agree, just drink the cup of poison and get it over with :lol:.

As you may have expected, I do not agree with the rest of your message. Like I said before, I do not see a 'changed' woman, I see the same woman, with the same goal (fame) but with new and more succesful tactics. If she wanted to change herself, providing for her own living would have been a good start. Persueing some form of education a nice follow-up and all that preferably out of the limelight, like all previous princes(ses)-to-be tried to do. Making herself the Swedish Mother Theresa, helping 'poor brown babies in Auwfrika' like Ingrid Bergman in 'Murder on the Orient Express', seems phoney. Especially since this is accompanied by one interview after another, also discussing her private life.

Last edited:
Well, it seems the opinions on the lady are pretty much set, no matter how many pr-tactics are used (all parties will feel strenghtened in the set opinion by whichever image they will try to get across)

C-P should make a move in 2014, no matter in which direction...

It looks to me that Sofia has turned the corner on her former self. She will always be the "horrible woman who posed nude" to some people. If C-P wants to marry her, well, she'll be another "commoner" who snagged a prince and she will be a princess. I don't have a problem with that, nor do I have a problem with her former ambitions. I just wish he'd pop the question and get on with it.

I agree with this statement. I think half the world (or those in the world who care) are hoping he gets on with it and pops the question, and half hope he gets on with it and ends the relationship. I almost think that by doing neither CP is almost finding a middle ground - he's not marrying the woman that people are determined to see as little more than an ambitious, fame seeking slut, but he's also not ending the relationship. If both of them are okay with the status quo as it is, I'm not certain he needs to pop the question (although, I would like to see them marry).

I agree with this statement. I think half the world (or those in the world who care) are hoping he gets on with it and pops the question, and half hope he gets on with it and ends the relationship. I almost think that by doing neither CP is almost finding a middle ground - he's not marrying the woman that people are determined to see as little more than an ambitious, fame seeking slut, but he's also not ending the relationship. If both of them are okay with the status quo as it is, I'm not certain he needs to pop the question (although, I would like to see them marry).

I've never seen it like this. Interesting viewpoint. If this really is CPs thinking he's not half as naive as many think him to be.

And yes, I would very much see that, too. Those two are very much in love and I'm sure they would have a very happy life together.

Marengo:
Like I said before, I do not see a 'changed' woman, I see the same woman, with the same goal (fame) but with new and more successful tactics. If she wanted to change herself, providing for her own living would have been a good start. Pursuing some form of education a nice follow-up and all that preferably out of the limelight, like all previous princes(ses)-to-be tried to do. Making herself the Swedish Mother Theresa, helping 'poor brown babies in Auwfrika' like Ingrid Bergman in 'Murder on the Orient Express', seems phoney. Especially since this is accompanied by one interview after another, also discussing her private life.
I most certainly do agree with your comment 100%, her smile does not reach her eyes when you see a picture of her, and I ask, how close of a relationship can a person have with a child when they only see that child for maybe a week or two a year, the child would probably not even remember the name of the person they had a relationship with. To me, this is one phony woman who is out for all she can get and then some. If she would just learn to keep her mouth shut when talking to the media, stop courting the media, have some discretion, stop bragging about the prince and get a job, a real 9/5 job with a paycheck like most normal people do, then maybe I could gather some respect for her. This Project whatever is all about her trying to win her way into the SRF and I bet that only PCP's sisters see right through her. She must be doing something right in whatever to keep this manchild. CP is still acting like an immature spoiled little boy who wants everything his own way. No I don't sugar coat anything in life especially if it isn't deserved. He needs to look to his sister Victoria on how to be a royal and accept responsibility for his position.

Oh dear, Sofia dared to attend an event she was invited to, dressed right for the occassion and say a few nice but completely non-saying things about the mother of her boyfriend who is the reason of the event she attended. What a crime. She should be ashamed like hell. :nonono:

Honestly, it's a nice dress. I'm sure if Madeleine or Victoria (or even Emma if she was still in place) would have worn it, everyone would have said what a nice dress it is.

And her talking to the press is also not such a big thing. She isn't indiscreet, as anyone always says. She would be if she tells the press that the Queen was in a fuss just an hour ago, because her hairdresser was running late. Or if she tells, Madeleine is whining about this and that problem she has in her advanced state of pregnancy. But she doesn't do it. She just says a few nice and kind words that clearly can be translated into "I don't want to be impolite to you, but I really have nothing interesting/scandalous to say. Thanks and have a nice evening."

And like I said before, Sofia is not just a girlfriend of a royal, but also prominent because of her own (like it or not, it's true). If she would have changed to never say anything at all to the press since she got involved with CP, she would be very fast be labeled as turned from nice girl to arrogant bitch and everyone would think "Now she thinks she is already royalty who just smiles and waves and stays mute, even though before she always was kind enough to say a few words." And also it wouldn't do Project Playground any good if she starts to play the mute game.

But like someone wrote in the thread about Silvias Birthday "Whatever Sofia does she can't do it right." I so hope they get married soon.

Why? Because of the slit in the dress where you can see her legs? Sorry, but then the Queen also is dressed tacky.

Or because of the photo of the Queen which seems to be a part of her present? Then I agree that she should have made sure that it wouldn't be shown like this. But this is more thoughless than tacky. Tacky is something completely different and I don't see anything tacky at all.

Last edited:
I don't understand why it's tacky, either... The dress is very similar to Madeleine's. The glimmer and style of it is not unusual for evening or winter events. She's smiling because they're taking her picture. And she said nice things about the Queen. I'm failing to see a problem here.

I think the problem is that the picture shows Sofia, so of course it must be tacky.

If the "tacky" part is the slit then I wonder what LadyFinn has to say about the slit in Kate's dress the other week.

...not to mention the tacky paste jewelry Kate wore.

I do hope C-P gives Sofia a really big, monumentally TACKY ring as an engagement present...tacky to the inth degree. LOL

^^^ Yep. There's nothing tackier than a really big diamond engagement ring. :D I reckon she'll be sporting one soon.

The way Sofia is acting suggests that the king allows it, allows Sofia to show up again and again and to speak to the press. The royal family has lost all the dignity and etiquette. This is killing the magic. Who needs a royal family if they are just like us commoners and live a life which reminds a reality-TV-show. Setting a focus on Sofia is alarming. But it also reflects on the relationship between the king and prince Daniel, and hints that the king doesn't like Daniel, since he didn't get the same treatment.
That a young man who has a blameless past, who has worked hard from when he was a youngster and has never sought the media attention, was treated so much worse than Sofia with a very questionable past, one can not understand it.
It also raises the question of the relationship of the king and Victoria. The king said that being a regent isn't a suitable job for a woman...

Last edited:
I think the Swedish royal family is just fine.

I remember when the then Sophie Rhys-Jones (Countess of Wessex) was dating Prince Edward back in the 90's, she used to talk to the media all the time. She used to say a kind 'hello' to the media and paparazzi when going or leaving work. The media used to leave flowers on Sophie's doorstep or windshield of her car and she would be very kind and accept the flowers and say a nice 'thank you.' When the media and paps was getting to be too much for her, Sophie had no problem going up to the camera's and telling them to back off.

I don't remember anyone saying that Sophie loves the attention, the British royal family lost dignity or etiquette. The young Lady Diana Spencer was also friendly to the media during her short courtship with Prince Charles. The media was crazy then but she managed to give a nice smile and even posed with some children for royal photographer Arthur Edwards.

I guess some would say that being kind, giving a nice smile and saying a few nice words is inappropriate for a royal girlfriend but I think it's rather nice that Sofia Hellqvist is allowed to say a few things to the media and set the record straight when she can. She said nothing but nice few things about Queen Silvia for her birthday celebrations. When Sofia is invited to some royal family events, she gives a nice and kind smile for the media. I really see no harm in that and somehow neither does Carl Philip and the royal family.

Last edited:
The way Sofia is acting suggests that the king allows it, allows Sofia to show up again and again and to speak to the press. The royal family has lost all the dignity and etiquette. This is killing the magic. Who needs a royal family if they are just like us commoners and live a life which reminds a reality-TV-show. Setting a focus on Sofia is alarming. But it also reflects on the relationship between the king and prince Daniel, and hints that the king doesn't like Daniel, since he didn't get the same treatment.
That a young man who has a blameless past, who has worked hard from when he was a youngster and has never sought the media attention, was treated so much worse than Sofia with a very questionable past, one can not understand it.
It also raises the question of the relationship of the king and Victoria. The king said that being a regent isn't a suitable job for a woman...

Very interesting observation.. so Sofia's actions are not just seem in the light of her past, but also in comparison with Daniel's path up to the SRF
Maybe Daniel has paved the way for Chris and Sofia, but it's unfortunate that the king might not like him (and very unfortunate that that is known outside the palace' walls)

By the way: if the king did say that last statement, then Sofia isn't the only one who should be monitored on public speaking :flowers:

What LadyFinn has just said has got me thinking. Is it the case that in Sweden and elsewhere in that region there is a widespread view that the King is exercising poor judgment about Sofia? I have been of the view that if she has the approval of CP's parents then she must be OK. However is it possible that the King set the barrier really low for her? It has been said in no uncertain terms that in the past he demonstrated a fondness for models types. In an article in Aftonbladet, Katrine Kielos implied that in CG's wild days, "Women were simply desserts, used as sweets to be served with the coffee". Perhaps he sees Sofia as embodying the qualities that he considers women should possess, and likes having her around and makes allowances for her that he would not make for Daniel. I'm not suggesting any improper behaviour, just that CG likes having pretty model types around and understands his son wanting one as his own. I hadn't thought of that possibility before, but if it is the case then surely any blame lies with him, not with Sofia.

Last edited:
I think the Swedish royal family is just fine.

I remember when the then Sophie Rhys-Jones (Countess of Wessex) was dating Prince Edward back in the 90's, she used to talk to the media all the time. She used to say a kind 'hello' to the media and paparazzi when going or leaving work. The media used to leave flowers on Sophie's doorstep or windshield of her car and she would be very kind and accept the flowers and say a nice 'thank you.' When the media and paps was getting to be too much for her, Sophie had no problem going up to the camera's and telling them to back off.

I don't remember anyone saying that Sophie loves the attention, the British royal family lost dignity or etiquette. The young Lady Diana Spencer was also friendly to the media during her short courtship with Prince Charles. The media was crazy then but she managed to give a nice smile and even posed with some children for royal photographer Arthur Edwards.

I guess some would say that being kind, giving a nice smile and saying a few nice words is inappropriate for a royal girlfriend but I think it's rather nice that Sofia Hellqvist is allowed to say a few things to the media and set the record straight when she can. She said nothing but nice few things about Queen Silvia for her birthday celebrations. When Sofia is invited to some royal family events, she gives a nice and kind smile for the media. I really see no harm in that and somehow neither does Carl Philip and the royal family.

BIG difference between Sophie Rhys-Jones and Sofia. Sophie worked with the media in PR, and she is/was far more discreet than Sofia. The late Diana, Princess of Wales was well known to love the media attention. Neither Sophie or Diana made documentaries regarding their work during their courtship with their respective partners.

Regarding the relationship between the King and Daniel, well, even blind Freddy can see the King was overly tough and prejudical regarding Daniel and Victoria's relationship. Daniel is completely committed to Victoria, the Royal family and Sweden. Victoria wasn't going to leave Daniel (and good on her!) and the King had to succumb.

If the King did indeed state that females shouldn't be regents, he not only offending his daughter and grand-daughter, but his cousin, Queen Margarthe II. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

I am not a big fan of Sofia's but I think some are reaching here.

IMO there is nothing tacky about Sofia's dress or the silt (which is an appropriate length and in the back of her dress). No danger of anything being seen that shouldn't be seen.

I get what you are saying about the "magic." Royals are like us mere commoners but in some ways they shouldn't be. I won't repeat my issues with Sofia...I think everyone knows where I stand.

I disagree with your sentiment about the King not liking Daniel. How do you know this...you don't. What I will say is that younger siblings usually always benefit from the struggles/fights that their older siblings had to do deal with. For example, I begged and pleaded for a leather skirt but my parents didn't think i needed one. It was the late 80's...and lo and behold, four years later I come home for a college break...and what is my younger sister (8 years younger than me) wearing....a leather skirt! Benefiting from my pleading. I know its not the same as a potential spouse, but hopefully you understand where I am coming from.

Victoria is the heir, so of course, her potential spouse was to be held to a higher standard that Madeleine's and Carl Phillip's. To add 1 plus 1 and get four, and than implying that the King didn't/doesn't like Daniel because Sofia get's to do certain things is wrong. Sofia didn't stand with the family as if she is a member of the family, but rather she entered the event as an invited guest. If I recall both Daniel, Emma, and Jonas attended certain events (i.e. birthdays, anniversaries, etc.) before any type of engagement announcement (in the case of Daniel and Jonas) but didn't enter with the royal family.

And to bring up the fact that the King didn't think that a woman could be regent...again...you are reaching for a connection that doesn't exists.

What the King thought about the change of the succession laws in 1979, and Sofia potentially being a suitable wife for his son in 2013, as well as problem in his relationship with Victoria....have nothing to do with each other.

If you are not a fan of Sofia's, and for the record I am not...that is one thing. But saying that Sofia's attendance at a party is reflection on other relationship's in the SRF is stretching it a bit too far IMO.

Well i'm so bloody tired of everyone who says "Sofia did this" and "Sofia did that" and "Sofia shouldn't do this" and "Sofia shouldn't do that" !!!! For gods sake she will never be a Queen nor a Crown Princess. She will just be an unimportant Princess. Princess Lilian had in her time almost the same background as Sofia has today and she became a very loved member of the royal family. But the swedish royal family almost killed her psychologically and took away her right to marry and her right to have children with the man she loved and who loved her. I'm sure you don't want to see the same treatment to anyone ever again ! Not even a potential Princess Sofia !!

You are all entitled to your opinion but so am i to mine. And my opinion is that i want to see a spring engagement and a beautiful fall wedding in 2014 for Carl Philip and Sofia :)

And if there was still a "royal magic aura" to talk about Victoria would have married Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Madeleine would have married Hereditary Grand Duke Gulliaume of Luxembourg or something like that. Defenitely not the 2 commoners who are married to them today ! Todays royal families are like you and me and i think that is the reason why they still are popular and why we haven't abolished the monarchies already.

Last edited:

Sofia showing up again and again and again? I don't think she showed up uninvited. It would have been rude to stay away after getting an invitation.

I never saw anything wrong with the relationship between the king and Prince Daniel. And the different treatments between Daniel and Sofia is just based on the fact that Victoria is the heir whereas Carl Philip isn't (anymore). Daniel had to prove way more that he is suitable than Sofia because it was always "crownprincess consort and future queen consort" for him whereas the future spouses of Carl Philip and Madeleine had / have more choices (staying privat citizen like Chris, becoming just a duke / duchess like Jonas would have or becoming prince / princess). Daniel never had a chance. It was all or nothing. A life as a consort living in the limelight or seperating from his then girlfriend and staying who he was. It was harder for him because he got a way bigger job in the end. I never get why people don't get it and come up with "It's unfair. Daniel had to fight harder and longer than Chris / Sofia)."

The king saying a woman is not suitable has nothing to do with a bad or reserved relationship with his daughter. It has to do with his own upbringing. We shouldn't forget his age and the fact that not his father raised him but his grandfather. A man who was born 1882 when it was common that only men were heirs. A time when women hadn't rights of their own. It is only logical that he taught his grandson it was only right that men are heirs and women aren't. It also was hard for the current king to see that the royal family lost a lot of reigning rights in the 70th. He started being king on a complete different background and with a lot less rights than he was thaugt. Changing the law for women to also become heirs was just an additional thing for him to get his head around. And getting children in the time when everything changed didn't help either.

Not knowing if the law will change while sitting in the background waiting because he doesn't have any real reigning rights anymore and not knowing for a very long time if his firstborn child or his firstborn son will be the heir and then seeing the change take place when two children were already born and had to switch places combined with his own upbringing naturally result in comments like that. He loves his daughter. He made it clear a lot of times. The love for his daughter has nothing to do with his thaughts of heirs being men. And he didn't make a comment like that for a long time now. At least not that I know. Victoria obviously proved to him that women can also be good heirs.

But appart from all of what I just wrote I agree with you on the "The magic is vanishing" thing. You're right with that. I like the fact that princes and princesses can make their own choices when it comes to marriage and can even marry commoners. But it also strippes away the magic, the feeling of awe that came with the word "Royalty" for a very long time. And it also stripped away the wonder when a cinderella story of "Commoner marries a prince" happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom