Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 2: April 2012 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a big deal, the swedish newspapers and photo agencies have much more photos of them than many of the royal guests.

Haakon looks good in his beard and it is well-groomed. Chris looks grimy and rugged.
Of course they have more photos of the partners of our swedish prince and princess. Would be very strange if they were ignored as their attendance perhaps indicated that there are two more royal weddings coming up.

:previous:
In all fairness, she isn't looking at the camera in that particular picture (unlike most others). As for the expression on her face - I have similar one whenever I am anywhere near a cute baby, and Estelle is as cute as it goes. It's the universal "aww" expression. ;)

Mabel Wisse Smit was not yet engaged to Prince Johan Friso of the Netherlands, but invited to the wedding of Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands and Laurentien Brinkhorst. And as far as I know no one had troubles about this fact.

But Mabel was part of the bridal party. She did join the royal family when prince Claus interred in the Royal Family's tomb. No one had a problem with this, but it was noted by the media.

Last edited:
I don't remember the "Sofia Haters" as you call them, saying she wasn't a nice person. For the 1000th time, some people have a problem with the way she carried herself in the past and how she's willing to do anything for a bit of attention now. The timing of the charity, etc. There are a lot of red flags when it comes to Sofia, but unlike you some people aren't willing to overlook them.

BTW no one knows what goes on behind closed doors between Carl Philip and Sofia. That mentor can say she's a good partner for him but only Carl Philip can make that call;)

Oh wow! You definitely don't read my comments really good, do you? Because I don't overlook any red flags. I just don't overanalyze them and make more out of them than there is. Yes, in hindsight she did a few not very fortunate choices in the pastin regard of her current statusas a royal girlfriend. But like I stated many times before: How should she know than where she is now? Those choices weren't unfortunated or bad back when she made them and wouldn't even be that now if she would date anyone apart from CP.

Therefore I stick to my opinion that many around here do only lash out at her just because it is Sofia doing/sayin/wearing this or that. Because let's be honest. There are a lot of pics today where important and not so imortant people where either looking into the camera or not. But it's only Sofia who get's lashed out at from almost everyone here for looking and smiling into the camera and no one else. And it's only her who get's labeled as 'attention seeking' and no one else. That's hypocritical if you ask me and I'm not to shy to say it out loud. Or to write it down in plain readable letters. Because that's just what I think. Plain and easy.

Well, this whole argument makes my blood boiling again. I so can't wait for those two to get their engagement out into the open. Because meanwhile I really, really want them to marry.

sorry, I got the one out of one million where she doesnt look.
this was the reality of today
http://i2.bunte.de/img/gen/f/E/HBfEEbWE_Ax282.jpg

In this picture I can definitely see,what Madeleine sees in Chris. He looks good and the stubble - or rather beard because it's way more than a stubble in this pic - really, really suits him like I said before. He's a really handsome guy in this pic and I really can see a nice royal husband in him here

Last edited:
Sofia was grinning like the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. Even our local tv reporters were talking about her behaviour :)

I agree. I cannot like her. Her smile is just too artificial. She looked like she was metaphorically thumbing her nose at her critics.

Wasn't Prince Albert of Monaco engaged to Charlene Wittstock at the time of the wedding of Victoria and Daniel? Only for days after the wedding, the engagement was announced. Has anyone problems with the attendance of Charlene at this wedding as a (until then) commoner?
Oh there were a lot of people on the Monaco boards that were upset about her attendance, well they were upset whenever and wherever she and Albert appeared together. They felt it inappropriate for her to appear with Albert at royal events, and then when she sat with the royals they were more than upset as if Albert had made the seating plan himself. In all honesty for some of those people Charlene would never be ok, They talked about how she was always looking at the camera and putting herself forward to the press, and would never be good enough to be a princess. Some probably still feel that way, but Albert & Charlene seem to have survived quite nicely without some peoples approvals. I expect CP & Sofia will survive as well if they decide to go to the altar.

Everyone single person is this photo, besides Sofia, is concerned with getting down the stairs. Not Sofia she's ready for a photo op. She's definitely an opportunist.

sorry, I got the one out of one million where she doesnt look.
this was the reality of today
http://i2.bunte.de/img/gen/f/E/HBfEEbWE_Ax282.jpg

I'm seeing something different, because she's definitely looking at the camera in this pic too.

Last edited:
Oh wow! You definitely don't read my comments really good, do you? Because I don't overlook any red flags. I just don't overanalyze them and make more out of them than there is. Yes, in hindsight she did a few not very fortunate choices in the pastin regard of her current statusas a royal girlfriend. But like I stated many times before: How should she know than where she is now? Those choices weren't unfortunated or bad back when she made them and wouldn't even be that now if she would date anyone apart from CP.

Well I must say this is the first I've seen you even talk about those "red flags". I'm glad you admitted that her choices were bad. But what if she did know what she was doing all along? I have a feeling she doesn't see the choices she made in the past as unfortunate. Quite the opposite, I think she'll do anything for attention.

Therefore I stick to my opinion that many around here do only lash out at her just because it is Sofia doing/sayin/wearing this or that. Because let's be honest. There are a lot of pics today where important and not so imortant people where either looking into the camera or not. But it's only Sofia who get's lashed out at from almost everyone here for looking and smiling into the camera and no one else. And it's only her who get's labeled as 'attention seeking' and no one else. That's hypocritical if you ask me and I'm not to shy to say it out loud. Or to write it down in plain readable letters. Because that's just what I think. Plain and easy.

Yes but be honest with yourself. No one else looks into the camera the way Sofia does. Everyone looks and smiles, but she looks with an air of "SEE ME!". That's why a lot of posters comment on her looking in the cameras all the time. Daniel, Emma, Jonas and even Chris never paid much attention to the press. If at an event, they simply smiled in the camera and moved on, but not Sofia. She reminds me of a little girl in desperate need of approval and attention.

Well, this whole argument makes my blood boiling again. I so can't wait for those two to get their engagement out into the open. Because meanwhile I really, really want them to marry.

I pray that day will never come! Now you've made my blood boil!

I thought this was a pretty good article (although it may have suffered in the translation) and I'm not sure it's been posted here yet (if it has, sorry).

Anyway, according to the article linked below, one must be engaged to appear at official engagements. Daniel, wasn't invited to such things before he was engaged to Victoria. However, it was apparently a late decision by the King to invite Chris and Sofia and one of the main reasons (according to Aftonbladet) was that Victoria and Daniel wanted the "whole family" at Estelle's baptism.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/aftonbladetlive/article14860164.ab

I thought this was a pretty good article (although it may have suffered in the translation) and I'm not sure it's been posted here yet (if it has, sorry).

Anyway, according to the article linked below, one must be engaged to appear at official engagements. Daniel, wasn't invited to such things before he was engaged to Victoria. However, it was apparently a late decision by the King to invite Chris and Sofia and one of the main reasons (according to Aftonbladet) was that Victoria and Daniel wanted the "whole family" at Estelle's baptism.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/aftonbladetlive/article14860164.ab

It's easy for the press to say that Victoria and Daniel wanted Sofia and Chris there. It was the king's decision. We must remember that Sofia and Carl Philip were seen at a holiday in St. Maxime last summer at the same boat with the king and the queen - kissing and cuddling, so it was obvious already then, that the king had accepted Sofia. I don't think that anyone who hates a person would spent some days at the same quite small boat... Sofia and Carl Philip were also at Storlien with the king and the queen this year.

Everyone single person is this photo, besides Sofia, is concerned with getting down the stairs. Not Sofia she's ready for a photo op. She's definitely an opportunist.

I'm seeing something different, because she's definitely looking at the camera in this pic too.

Oh, for crying out loud. She's looking at a totally random angle in the first picture, and if you look at the picture, there's no way to tell who she's looking at or why.

She smiles a lot, and doesn't ever appear surly or angry at photographers. That's not a bad thing, if she is indeed going to marry Prince Carl Philip.

I feel like this is a pretty great example of people choosing to read what they want to see into photographs. I don't really love Sofia, nor do I dislike her, but I feel like having to constantly say "Hey, that thing she did really wasn't a big deal" is making me sound like a raving fangirl by default.

HRHHermione, I wonder if you actually watched the live broadcast?
I have rarely seen anyone at a royal state occasion acting with this kind of attitude, treating the occasion as if it was one long major photo opportunity with the very own person as object, and not a guest.
I'm sorry but it was rather unpleasant a bit embarrassing to watch, and so are the tons of photographs of her from the event. You hardly find a single one in which she is not either posing or searching out the next camera lens without any focus on the occasion or the people around her.
It's not a matter of what you want to see into photos, it's a matter of what you do see in the photos.

Two pics which illustrate an interesting difference in attitude:

http://s16.postimage.org/qhrtfaakl/Newscom_abaphotos878101.jpg

http://s7.postimage.org/p5b8868nv/Screenshot_1.jpg

I think Sophia was very nervous as this was a very formal function for her. I just loved her simple, understated look. So chic and elegant. Her hair was absolutely lovely. Under the circumstances, I think she did really well. As for the photos, maybe she just caught the camera at all the right times.

It is almost impossible to say that a person is an opportunist by a photo..of course her past is not immaculate, but none was Mette Marit past and people love her now!!! So if she has true love for Philip we can never know...I think even he cannot know that...people can pretend all their life just to have this kind of life...she can live pretending and acting...we can never know...;)

I have rarely seen anyone at a royal state occasion acting with this kind of attitude, treating the occasion as if it was one long major photo opportunity with the very own person as object, and not a guest.
I'm sorry but it was rather unpleasant a bit embarrassing to watch, and so are the tons of photographs of her from the event. You hardly find a single one in which she is not either posing or searching out the next camera lens without any focus on the occasion or the people around her.
I agree with Boris. I do not know her personally and it may be that she is a nice, intelligent girl who has made a few bad decisions in the past, but hey who hasn't ? The thing is her behaviour yesterday was really quite embarassing to watch, the constant grinning into the cameras certainly can leave an impression of her as being an attention seeker. Even our press commented about her behaviour, in fact RTL showed a few clips of her at the wedding to show her posing for the cameras (not my saying, the original audio commentary from the reporters !).

Yes but be honest with yourself. No one else looks into the camera the way Sofia does. Everyone looks and smiles, but she looks with an air of "SEE ME!". That's why a lot of posters comment on her looking in the cameras all the time. Daniel, Emma, Jonas and even Chris never paid much attention to the press. If at an event, they simply smiled in the camera and moved on, but not Sofia. She reminds me of a little girl in desperate need of approval and attention.

Have you ever tought about this like being simply a side-effect of her job? Because I'm quiet sure you could look at the same building I look at and see and react to completely different things. Simply because of my studies in architecture. That is, if you're not an architect yourself.

Like it or not, but Sofia has jobwise been more of a public figure than Chris, Emma or Jonas ever were and cameras ad photographers are just normal to her. A tool to become better in her job and more known which would lead to better paychecks. She's way more outgoing than all of the other three, simply because it's helping her more with her job as a model, of which I'm admittingly not sure if she works in this job currently. But since we never see her everyday life she could do some work in the modeling world that doesn't put here into the big spotlight currently, even if she maybe is not modeling herself currently out of respect to Carl Philip and his status. We don't know it. Btw, her being open and outgoing also doesn't hurt in charity work to be open and outgoing and not shy and always on the run from people and/or cameras.

I don't say this is for sure, because what's really going on in her head I don't know. You could be right with her being a little egoistic attention seeker. But I'm not completely blind and ignorant to other possibilities of her every do's and don'ts. I try to see what else can be the reason and that's something a lot around here simply don't. Most often it is just "Oh! It's Sofia. She's looking! She's smiling! She's looking AND smiling! How dare she?" Because honestly, I don't see a lot of those sentences made here in her eyes. I see different things.

But then again, I also saw different things about what could have been going on in little Estelles head during the christning (see other thread). So all of this is simply a point of view here. Maybe she did search for the cameras in the stairs-pic. Maybe someone said something funny and she just perked up and got photographed in that exact moment. Maybe she is just a very aware person who simply doesn't tend to withdraw into herself or look elsewhere when being nervous because of a big event in her life. Some people to live with the german motto "Angriff ist die beste Verteidigung" which would be "Attack is the best defense" but I don't know if this german saying is known in te rest of the world. Her smiling like that could very well be proudness over being there (who can really honestly blame her for that?) mixed with nervousness over being at something this big and historic (which it definitely was and no one can be blamed for being nervous if one isn't used to things like this) and the fear of being caught as inwardly nervous. Or maybe she was just looking if she could spot her boyfriend somewhere down there. And heaven knows I would have a radiant smile on my face too, if I see my husband as a proud godfather of his cute-to-die-for little niece. Only Sofia knows what was really going on in her head in this special pic and in all the others before.

I pray that day will never come! Now you've made my blood boil!

It seems like we're both hot-tempered persons and one of us has always her blood boiling after a few comments of the other. But even if it sounds strange now and you maybe may not believe me: Somehow I really like you, even if we're not on the same page when it comes to Sofia. ;)

She smiles a lot, and doesn't ever appear surly or angry at photographers. That's not a bad thing, if she is indeed going to marry Prince Carl Philip.

I feel like this is a pretty great example of people choosing to read what they want to see into photographs. I don't really love Sofia, nor do I dislike her, but I feel like having to constantly say "Hey, that thing she did really wasn't a big deal" is making me sound like a raving fangirl by default.

I'm on the completely same page with you here, HRHHermione. :flowers:

Last edited:
her job as a model, of which I'm admittingly not sure if she works in this job currently
She does not.
Actually, Sofia Hellqvist has not held a paid job ever since she started her relationship with Prince Carl Philip.
When she met Carl Philip, she did not have a place of her own to live in Sweden either but was registered as living with her parents, she had no regular job, and did not study either.
In the two and a half years of their relationship, she apparently made one promotion deal with the yoga clothing line DOM which appears to have terminated by now.
'Job'-wise, that's all.

I just posted this in the Christening thread but I have to repost it here:

Wow I just watched all the 463 christening pictures on the Swedish Royal Website and guess what ? There was not even one clear photo of CP Mary where she is alone and/or in the foreground (the same applies for all the godparents except Carl Philip) BUT more than 20 pictures of Sofia (sometimes alone and sometimes with Chris) featured prominently in the foreground. Think of it whatever you want but I see an engagement coming in the next few weeks .....

She does not.
Actually, Sofia Hellqvist has not held a paid job ever since she started her relationship with Prince Carl Philip.
When she met Carl Philip, she did not have a place of her own to live in Sweden either but was registered as living with her parents, she had no regular job, and did not study either.
In the two and a half years of their relationship, she apparently made one promotion deal with the yoga clothing line DOM which appears to have terminated by now.
'Job'-wise, that's all.

But how do we really know that? We don't even know what Madeleine does in every detail every day in New York when she works at childhood. And we also don't know what other members of the SRF doe every day when they're not on a public event. So how do we know for sure that Sofia isn't getting up and going to some kind of work every day? How do we know that she's not working on a payed job from home somehow? How do we know she f.e. doesn't hold a job as a columnist at a fashion magazine under some kind of pseudonym to not shift attention from the topic of the column itself? Just because it's not publicly announced it doesn't say this doesn't exist? A promoting job can't be kept in hiding because that's against all this job stands for. But other jobs like the example above can be kept out of the limelights and maybe she holds a job like that right now.

Again, I'm not living in a pink bubble where bad behaviour and choices don't exist, but I just thing of other possibilities to the few informations we get or don't get.

That will make her popular among those who see the whole royal family as living on subsidy and want to abolish the monarchy. Prince "I rather be a racecar driver" marrying miss Jobshy.

I just posted this in the Christening thread but I have to repost it here:

Wow I just watched all the 463 christening pictures on the Swedish Royal Website and guess what ? There was not even one clear photo of CP Mary where she is alone and/or in the foreground (the same applies for all the godparents except Carl Philip) BUT more than 20 pictures of Sofia (sometimes alone and sometimes with Chris) featured prominently in the foreground. Think of it whatever you want but I see an engagement coming in the next few weeks .....
:previous:
The pictures are from Expessen site and I think they just add to kungahuset's site
http://www.expressen.se/mode/har-ar-alla-bilder-fran-estelles-dopdag/

I agree with Boris. I do not know her personally and it may be that she is a nice, intelligent girl who has made a few bad decisions in the past, but hey who hasn't ? The thing is her behaviour yesterday was really quite embarassing to watch, the constant grinning into the cameras certainly can leave an impression of her as being an attention seeker. Even our press commented about her behaviour, in fact RTL showed a few clips of her at the wedding to show her posing for the cameras (not my saying, the original audio commentary from the reporters !).
Oh Kit, you hit the nail on the head!
I have to admit that at first I was not liking CP's choice because of her background, but after seeing her out with other members of the family I was trying very hard to soften my opinion of her. But after yesterday, and the impression she left, I might he heading back toward my previous opinion of her.

I know absolutely nothing of her and until a moment ago, had never seen a photo of her either.

Having just spent the past 2 or so minutes looking at photo's of her through google images, I note that the woman in question (perhaps the use of 'Lady' would not be considered suitable?) has an 'interesting' background.

From what I could tell, perhaps two front veneers wouldn't go astray, but that's based purely on a surface evaluation. It would make a flattering difference to her smile and seeming as she loves smiling so much then why not have it look it's best.

Last edited:
She must consider arranging her front tooth...it ruins all her smile...we will never know for sure her intentions...of course she must be fascinated to enter this family, to be a part of the royal family, to enter in the castle...but she needs to learn how to be a royal, how to behave...but of course this is not a problem to her...I also think that her intentions are not good, but who knows...and we will never know...

The pictures are from Expessen site and I think they just add to kungahuset's site
Well the Royal Family or at least the person responsible here - in that case PR chief Ternert - should think about which pictures they put on the official Royal homepage before they go online. Over 20 pictures of Sofia on their homepage conveys a certain message to the public - at least to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom