The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark also participated in a documentary about her life before her marriage. I thought it was a great way to introduce Mary to the people and I think this could be a great way to introduce Sofia to the people..
The documentary about Mary was aired a couple of months before the wedding, introducing the fiance of the Crown Prince to the Danes.

Sofia is a girlfriend and the PR machine has been working a bit longer than that, it seems.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Majesty

Sometimes the PR machine comes in handy. I like the idea of hearing from Sofia and watch her talk about the work of Project Playground. I think it's great that Carl Philip will also participate in the doc.

Unless there's some English involved, I won't understand the doc but I hope someone will provide some translations if they can.

9pm Monday- TV3
http://www.tv3.se/project-playground

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
The documentary about Mary was aired a couple of months before the wedding, introducing the fiance of the Crown Prince to the Danes.

Sofia is a girlfriend and the PR machine has been working a bit longer than that, it seems.
Exactly. Mary was already officially engaged when the documentary aired.
Sofia Hellqvist is not.

The PR machine is out in full force it seems.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
Exactly. Mary was already officially engaged when the documentary aired.
Sofia Hellqvist is not.

The PR machine is out in full force it seems.
I'm always a bit confused why anyone is confused by the PR Sofia gets. We can't really compare her to other royal girlfriends. Mary was working in marketing, Maxima was an investment banker, Mette Marit was a student at University. Not one of them was of any interest by the media because of themself.

But like it or not, Sofia is of interest by herself. She was known by the media even before she met Carl Philip and became his girlfriend. She was a little starlett because of Paradise Hotel, Slitz and frequenting certain "Must be seen there"-places in Sweden. Sure, she gets a lot of media coverage because she is the girlfriend of Carl Philip. But it's not the only reason. It's the mix of "Little starlett of herself" and "Girlfriend of a Prince of Sweden". A mix Mary, Maxima and Mette Marit didn't have.

Letizia did have this mix and I remember a big media frenzy 10 years back, when a well known journalist got involved with the Prince of Asturias. And yes, I agree that Letizia as a serious journalist can't be compared to a little starlett like Sofia. But the fact is, that both woman were known by the media and by a handful of fans and thus got the media attention other current Princesses and Queen didn't get until right before they got married.

I hope I could make my point clear. It's always a bit difficult for me to get the meaning out of my head into the right english words.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think your point comes across clearly Kitkat :), and you are right, the mix of reality starlet dating a prince is unique at the moment. Though previous girlfriends of princes were in a simular situation, like Koo Stark (Andrew) or Eva Sannum (Felipe).

Letizia's relationship with Felipe was not known to the world/press. Their engagement came as a total surprise to all. Only after the engagement the frenzy started.

I find the documentary rather odd, but it seems that they are moving to make their relationship official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn
I have difficulties to see myself at the gala glitter, I'm more at home here in Africa and here I can be more myself.
Thanks for the translation & summary again LF! This gave me the laugh of the day!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Majesty

I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary (if I can) because I think it will be nice to get to know Sofia and the work she and the team do for Project Playground.

Better to hear from her rather than the folks that spread all kinds of false stuff about her.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Thanks for the translation & summary again LF! This gave me the laugh of the day!
Same lmao
It´s so obvious PR, but well, if people need "fairy tales" like this, okay.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Majesty

Video:
Project Playground Documentary-
Project Playground - En galen dröm - Avsnitt 1 | TV3 Play

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Video:
Project Playground Documentary-
Project Playground - En galen dröm - Avsnitt 1 | TV3 Play
I saw this documentary. I'm impressed how many these women do for the children. It's also touching how little children need to be happy
Old 12-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Majesty

I've just finished watching the Project Playground documentary and I was truly touched and very proud of what I've just seen. Sofia and Frida's heart is in this organization and I think you will see it in this documentary.

The kids are happy, bright and have big dreams. That little girl, Olwetha Skosana, stole my heart. She is so bright and smart and have a lot of life in her. I felt a lump in my throat when she broke out into song and sang "This Little Light of Mine." Not only can she dance but she can sing too. Africa and the world better look out for this young lady. She's serious.

I can see why Sofia, Frida and the team dedicate so much time and energy with Project Playground. The organization is truly making a difference in peoples lives in Africa. I enjoyed seeing the support Carl Philip gives to Sofia and Project Playground. You could see the love and friendship between them.

I'm really glad this documentary was made and I think it not only showed Sofia in a good light but I think it helped shine a light on a very worthy cause and may Project playground continue to flourish and I wish all the children the best of luck and blessings.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary (if I can) because I think it will be nice to get to know Sofia and the work she and the team do for Project Playground.

Better to hear from her rather than the folks that spread all kinds of false stuff about her.
Well, Sofia is really good in playing down her past and exaggerating her work in South Africa. She may work for PP in Sweden but it is Frida who does most of the real work in South Africa. According to the articles at the swedish press and the photos at PP's Instagram Sofia has been this year two times in South Africa, on Easter and in November. Yet the document claims that the life in Langa is normal work days for her and gives the impression that she lives there many months a year.
Sofia also says that she doesn't regret her bikini photos and Paradise Hotel. Those are just two occasions in her life and she has done so much more (what?). She suitably forgets the nude photos she posed when she was underage and the nude photos she posed for later. Sofia tells also that when they started they were both penniless students. But according to what I have read, Frida had a very wealthy boyfriend.
The program focuses too much on Sofia, but it is good that they tell also about Frida and that she was already in 2005 in South Africa and saw Langa. She moved to South Africa and worked there for as a volunteer for an AIDS organization before she started Project Playground. Frida is the real hero of Project Playground, she lives there and works there for the whole year. Of course the life in Langa and the work with the children isn't as rosy and easy as they try to show at the documentary and it is Frida who has to deal with that, not Sofia. Sofia lives the easy and comfortable life in Stockholm and gets most of the credit.

Norwegian royal expert Kjell Arne Totland says that many people see Monday's documentary as a carefully planned public relations program.
- Many Swedes are still skeptical of Prince Carl Philip's girlfriend because of her past as a glamour model and Paradise Hotel-participant, and therefore see tonight's documentary as part of a well planned public relations program to increase Sofia Hellqvist's reputation in public opinion. And as sufficient proof that she is now moving towards formalizing her relationship with the prince.
Svenskeprinsens kjæreste snakker ut om nakenfortiden - TV2.no
Translation

The reporter of the program, Renée Nyberg told to Expressen that there is great public interest in Sofia Hellqvist, a prerequisite for the interview was of course also to ask questions of her private life, the contrasts between of being at a royal ball and be in a shantytown.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:35 AM
Administrator

It seems that Sofia has problems with her memory indeed. A pity that these interviewers don't do their homework.

The PR machinery is not very subtle, is it?

When was Sofia a (peniless) student? AFAIK she only went to secundary school... and even underage she made extra money by posing nude. Like Frida, Sofia also had a rich boyfriend twice her age just before she met CP, right?

Quote:
exaggerating her work in South Africa
I find the title 'Secretary General' also rather pompous for a co-founder of PP, with a handful of employees. (I)NGO tend to use the title for their CAO, but PP is no Red Cross/Crecent or Amnesty International (yet). Anyway, it will look good on her business card for sure.

-
Do we know the ratings of the show? Since Expressen is referring to a great interest in Sofia?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Do we know the ratings of the show? Since Expressen is referring to a great interest in Sofia?
DagensMedia writes that the show got low viewer ratings, only 145000 people watched it.
Svagt tittande för prinsens flickvän - Dagens Media
Translation
Old 12-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

From former footballer Tomas Brolin's Instagram, he met Carl Philip and Sofia at the Operakällaren last week, Carl Philip and Sofia had drinks before having a Christmas dinner.
.@tomasbrolin11 | Träffade detta underbara par i fördrinken på väg till julbordet#Operakällaren... | Webstagram
Old 12-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Majesty

I really don't care about Sofia's past and the confusion around it. I'm pretty much focused on the now and I really enjoyed seeing the work Project Playground do for these young people and their families.

I'm glad Sofia and Frida dedicate their time to this organization and are interested in helping others. That's the most important thing, IMO.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

I find it interesting that Sofia claims that the children are her whole life and her family. She hardly knows the children since she spends about 5 or 6 weeks a year in Langa.

Johan T Lindwall claimed today at Expressen's live TV, that Carl Philip will spend Christmas with Sofia and her family in Älvdalen. Carl Philip leaves there right after the Queen's birthday party.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I find it interesting that Sofia claims that the children are her whole life and her family. She hardly knows the children since she spends about 5 or 6 weeks a year in Langa.

Johan T Lindwall claimed today at Expressen's live TV, that Carl Philip will spend Christmas with Sofia and her family in Älvdalen. Carl Philip leaves there right after the Queen's birthday party.
Over time you do get a chance to know the children and you end up developing a relationship and friendship with them. You can see the affection between those kids and Sofia and Frida.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

It looks to me that Sofia has turned the corner on her former self. She will always be the "horrible woman who posed nude" to some people. If C-P wants to marry her, well, she'll be another "commoner" who snagged a prince and she will be a princess. I don't have a problem with that, nor do I have a problem with her former ambitions. I just wish he'd pop the question and get on with it.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I just wish he'd pop the question and get on with it.
On that we can agree, just drink the cup of poison and get it over with .

As you may have expected, I do not agree with the rest of your message. Like I said before, I do not see a 'changed' woman, I see the same woman, with the same goal (fame) but with new and more succesful tactics. If she wanted to change herself, providing for her own living would have been a good start. Persueing some form of education a nice follow-up and all that preferably out of the limelight, like all previous princes(ses)-to-be tried to do. Making herself the Swedish Mother Theresa, helping 'poor brown babies in Auwfrika' like Ingrid Bergman in 'Murder on the Orient Express', seems phoney. Especially since this is accompanied by one interview after another, also discussing her private life.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

Well, it seems the opinions on the lady are pretty much set, no matter how many pr-tactics are used (all parties will feel strenghtened in the set opinion by whichever image they will try to get across)

C-P should make a move in 2014, no matter in which direction...

Tags
prince carl philip