The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Majesty

Don't know if that's true but, if so, then that's refreshing. I think Chelsy dumped Harry on Facebook a while back.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Yes, indeed she did. It went like this... "......Wanna know a secret? I'm dating the Prince!"
If that's true (I can't find any sources saying such), then I agree that it's tacky but also very... Well, celebrity-esque of her. We have to remember that Sofia wasn't just a random commoner, or even a royal herself. She was a celebrity prior to her relationship (and is now in that awkward famous and in between being a celebrity and a royal stage), and acted like celebrities do.

Does she still tweet about her relationship? Do we have any reason to believe that when she made that tweet (or any subsequent tweets, or any interview comments, or what have you) that she did so without the approval of her partner? I'm not saying that she needs to ask for his permission, but more of a "hey do you mind if I do this?" Do we know if CP objects to anything Sofia has ever said about their relationship? I'm not saying that he does or that he doesn't, but if he doesn't then it seems to me that we don't really have reason to complain. I mean, if the person whose life is the one being displayed doesn't see anything wrong with it, who are we to object?

I do get what's being said about the idea that Sofia is in her relationship with CP for the fame and attention, and subsequently she says more than a royal partner should. But unless we have reason to believe that CP isn't completely comfortable with what she's saying (it with her saying anything at all) I don't necessarily agree that this is a problem. It's the same with Charlotte Casiraghi and Gad; we assume that since their previous partners were more discreet that their current, less discreet partners are only in it for the fame and that their behaviour is unwanted. I'm not sure if it's fair to compare Sofia to CP's past relationships and to assume that since CP's last girlfriend was discreet then his current girlfriend is going against his wishes by not being discreet.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
True, but in the 40s and 50s many people in Europe considered any modeling to be not quite respectable. Much like stewardess were once thought of as "coffee, tea or me" kind of ladies.
We don't know how much modeling Lilian did, when she sometimes worked as a mannequin. And we haven't heard that she would have constantly tried to get to the press or radio to be famous. Times were also different then. But obviously Sofia would have all the chances to study and live "normal" life like her two sisters, who have studied and taken exams.
Sofia also attended at the first Paradise Hotel in Sweden, the reality-shows weren't then so popular than now, although Big Brother had started in Sweden earlier.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
It always surprises me how people's expectation of royals is that they are "perfect". and how harsh people are on anyone who is not royal or noble daring to marry into a reigning family. Daniel, Catherine, Camilla, Mette Marit, Maxima, Letitiza, and Charlene to name a few. And then the praise for Stephanie and Matilde just because they are noble.

then there is the picking over of their physical appearance, past, families, work, work ethic, friends and finances.

Finding someone to share your life with is hard enough, but then there is all this stuff on top.

but what gets my goat is how very unforgiving some posters are. If current behaviour was so bad that it had a negative impact on the SRF, I would understand but it isn't.

Based on some views on here, new members of RFs who are excellent ambassadors ( Daniel and Mette Marit for example) would have been shown the door.

Carl should marry his girl and be happy and continue to carry out royal duties if that is what they both want.
Mathilde and Stephanie were not presented to the public until the day they became engaged. And if there had been any dirt to have been found on them, the tabloids would not have sat on the info just because they were from the nobility.. Prince Felipe's very noble girlfriend Isabel Sartorius was disqualified because she had divorced, shady parents.

Mathilde and Stephanie were not praised because they were aristocrats. They were praised for being intelligent, well educated and modest, uncontroversial. The fact that there was no controversy was refreshing to some, boring to many others.

They were also not criticized because there were no divorces and rumors of abortions(Letizia), no dragged out ten year courtship, with a coke snorting uncle blabbing to the tabloids(Kate) no controversial fascist father(Maxima) no single mother/ wild drug abusing party girl(Mette-Marit) no junior high school dropout apparently unable to learn French even after six continuous years in Monaco as the sovereign Prince's financially kept girlfriend(Charlene), no adulterous, multi decade affairs complete with divorces and recorded illicit phone conversations(Camilla)

The tabloids did uncover a family feud between Mathilde's father and uncle, and the fact that Guillaume and his fiancée Stephanie had not made love at the time of the engagement and that she was apparently a-gasp!-virgin. But that was it.

While there was approval online that they were well bred noblewomen, I well remember an equal amount of criticism that they were frumpy and boring.

BTW...the newest Royal bride Claire Lademacher is a nouveau riche non-aristocrat. If criticism is only leveled at commoners, why has there been virtually NONE of Claire?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Mathilde and Stephanie were not presented to the public until the day they became engaged. And if there had been any dirt to have been found on them, the tabloids would not have sat on the info just because they were from the nobility.. Prince Felipe's very noble girlfriend Isabel Sartorius was disqualified because she had divorced, shady parents. Mathilde and Stephanie were not praised because they were aristocrats. They were praised for being intelligent, well educated and modest, uncontroversial. The fact that there was no controversy was refreshing to some, boring to many others. They were also not criticized because there were no divorces and rumors of abortions(Letizia), no dragged out ten year courtship, with a coke snorting uncle blabbing to the tabloids(Kate) no controversial fascist father(Maxima) no single mother/ wild drug taking party girl(Mette-Marit) no junior high school dropout apparently unable to learn French even after six continuous years in Monaco as the sovereign Prince's financially kept girlfriend(Charlene), no adulterous, multi decade affairs complete with divorces and recorded illicit phone conversations(Camilla) The tabloids did uncover a family feud between Mathilde's father and uncle, and the fact that Guillaume and his fiancée Stephanie had not made love at the time of the engagement and that she was apparently a-gasp!-virgin. But that was it. While there was approval online that they were well bred noblewomen, I well remember an equal amount of criticism that they were frumpy and boring. BTW...the newest Royal bride Claire Lademacher is a nouveau rich non-aristocrat. If criticism is only leveled at commoners, why has there been virtually NONE of Claire?
Thank you for your great comment. I completely agree with you.
I guess we all have past criticising someone because he/she is a commoner or only because she is a woman. What is important in judging that a person is worthy of her future
role is to see what has she achieved in her life so far. Although some of these now royal women have proved us that we were wrong, we still have the opportunity to talk about the achievements of the possible future royals.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Courtier

I remember I was shocked when Guillame's engagement was announced. I was like "Huh? He was dating someone?" LOL and the same goes for Mathilde and Phillipe. Out of the blue, a great many people were surprised.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:42 AM
Courtier

Is it true his previous girlfriend is now married to someone else? If so, what a shame, she seemed so suitable for the role.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:12 AM
Courtier

I'm not sure if she's married already. But she has a kid with her new boyfriend/husband.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
Is it true his previous girlfriend is now married to someone else? If so, what a shame, she seemed so suitable for the role.
Emma Pernald got engaged with her boyfriend Tomas Jonson in May 2012. In September 2012 Emma gave birth to their first child, son named Arthur, the baby was born three weeks before it was due. Emma and Tomas applied for the Certificate of No Impediment and Marriage licence from the Swedish Tax Agency about ten days after Madeleine's wedding. The marriage licence is needed if one is getting married abroad. There hasn't been any information about Emma and Tomas getting married at the swedish press.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Courtier

Any bets as to when the engagement will be announced.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post
I remember I was shocked when Guillame's engagement was announced. I was like "Huh? He was dating someone?" LOL and the same goes for Mathilde and Phillipe. Out of the blue, a great many people were surprised.
That´s true, I had the same experience, I was extremely surprised when they announced their engagement ;-)
This is one of the reasons why they have received so little criticism-Stéphanie and Mathilde were extremely discreet and they have always guarded their private life very well. There simply would not be anything to discuss or be shocked about, since all they were doing was studying and living a pretty normal down-to earth life.
No partying,drugs,public relationships,crazy fashion or anything the tabloids could write about
. Helen Keller
Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

ICAM blauerengel. Mathilde and Stephanie were not considered exempt from criticism because of their noble backgrounds, there was simply no controversy and therefore nothing to discuss.

Both Guillaume and Philippe seem almost obsessed with protecting their private lives. I was not truly surprised that nobody knew who they were dating...until they wanted it to be known.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

All seems quiet on the CP and Sofia front. How long for? Has this been the longest they have not been pictured together?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
All seems quiet on the CP and Sofia front. How long for? Has this been the longest they have not been pictured together?
Staying quiet until to the "Big Bang"?????
Bye Bine
Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
Bye Bine
Oh myyyy!!!!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
Bye Bine
Very much my thought. All quiet before a big announcement?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:30 AM
Courtier

CP and girlfriend

Yes, I noticed also that there was no pictures nor articles of them, since she likes to talk to the media and have her face out and about, I am hoping that she will go away and not return. There is something about her, her face and the eyes when she looks in the camera, which she loves to do, that I don't like. Her smile never reaches the eyes, there is no warmth or light in them..............so right now no news is great news!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Royal Highness

I am not sure, no news could either mean "no news" or, let´s keep a low profile before we announce something that will create a really big uproar! While I could not care less who the royals spend their time with, I do not think that someone with Sofia Hellqvist´s attitude and history will be a great asset to a Royal family. I hope that there won´t be a "Big Bang" because it would certainly affect the credibilty of the SRF and create a lot of trouble for Queen Silvia, CP Victoria, Prince Daniel and all the other people who have spent a lot of time and efforts into creating a positive public image of the Royal family.
. Helen Keller
Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Aristocracy

Hopefully the next big news is that he canned her and she is no more.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Loyalist, that would be nice!

Tags
prince carl philip