The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
And yet most people understand that despite a few missteps, Prince Harry isn't unfit to marry or to serve and represent his country. And most will forgive and forget if he spends the next three or four years doing charity work and behaving appropriately, which Sofia has done.

And as for the argument that Sofia is a poor role model for young women- I suppose that depends on what you think young women should be raised to believe.

As someone who believes strongly in redemption, forgiveness and not allowing mistakes to define one's character forever, I'd be happy to point out to a young woman that it's brave to stand up straight, hold your head high, and learn to reinvent yourself when a reinvention is called for.

And most importantly, I'd be happy to point out that a woman's whole character is not defined by how much skin she chooses to show.
I never commented on her suitability as a role model. I simply disagreed with an action of hers for God's sake. i don't want her burned at the stake, and I don't care who she marries. At all. I simply didn't like something she did. If she were a man I would have had the same reaction. I believe my comments are being read into way too much.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post

I never commented on her suitability as a role model. I simply disagreed with an action of hers for God's sake. i don't want her burned at the stake, and I don't care who she marries. At all. I simply didn't like something she did. If she were a man I would have had the same reaction. I believe my comments are being read into way too much.
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. The first part of my comment was a reply to yours, the second part was about the general sentiments being expressed in this thread and focused on the comments of other posters.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. The first part of my comment was a reply to yours, the second part was about the general sentiments being expressed in this thread and focused on the comments of other posters.
No worries. Sorry to you if I sounded harsh.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Probably for the same reason Lilian Craig, then still married to another man, gave up her singing/dancing/modeling career when another Swedish HRH came into her life....the career just did not mix with her boyfriends life. The 1940s attitude in Europe to a singer/dancer/model were not dissimilar to your attitude to Sofias glamour modeling.
I cannot for the life of me see any "glamour" attached to the image of a completely nude young woman spread over the front seat of a convertible NGalitzine.

I always laugh out loud when someone uses that innocuous little adjective to describe Hellqvist's "work"...but I completely understand wanting to use that word while promoting her as a possible future princess of Sweden.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

I cannot for the life of me see any "glamour" attached to the image of a completely nude young woman spread over the front seat of a convertible NGalitzine.

I always laugh out loud when someone uses that innocuous little adjective to describe Hellqvist's "work"...but I completely understand wanting to use that word while promoting her as a possible future princess of Sweden.
That is the actual name for that type of photography. Google glamour modeling. It's the correct terminology.

Also, glamour photography has existed forever, and a lot of famous, talented and beloved women have done it at some point. Marilyn Monroe, Charlize Theron, Betty White, Drew Barrymore, to name just a handful.

This is not new, nor are the women who do it all dumb, talentless or lazy. It's not some moral failing that defines who someone is forever.

I imagine most people think of Betty White as an adorable old lady, not a glamour model, but she was one.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That is the actual name for that type of photography. Google glamour modeling. It's the correct terminology.
Glamour -to me- is champagne cocktails on the Riviera, not the type of photos Sofia poses for. That is my "morally superior" opinion, nothing else, and anyone is free to simply disagree.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

This young woman irks me. I don't know her, but I question both her motives and her sincerity. For example, she started a so called charity in Africa called "Project Playground" which is-so we hear-supposed to promote the welfare of children in developing African nations. There is a reality TV show tentatively titled "Siyakohlwa". Sofia has selected a few young girls from her charity to audition for the new show, and here is how she has chosen to present them:

http://www.project-playground.org/en...tv-stars1.jpeg
http://www.project-playground.org/80...unds-tv-stars/

I mean...is Sofia quite serious??! South Africa, with one of the highest records of sexual brutality toward female children on the planet? And this is how Sofia chooses to promote these beautiful little girls?

I rest my case. You can take the girl off reality TV, but you can't take the reality TV out of the girl. I think she is a disastrous choice for Sweden, but if in a few years I am proven wrong I will be here to publically apologize.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:

This young woman irks me. I don't know her, but I question both her motives and her sincerity. For example, she started a so called charity in Africa called "Project Playground" which is-so we hear-supposed to promote the welfare of children in developing African nations. There is a reality TV show tentatively titled "Siyakohlwa". Sofia has selected a few young girls from her charity to audition for the new show, and here is how she has chosen to present them:

http://www.project-playground.org/en...tv-stars1.jpeg

I mean...is Sofia quite serious??! South Africa, with one of the highest records of sexual brutality toward female children on the planet? And this is how Sofia chooses to promote these beautiful little girls?

I rest my case. You can take the girl off reality TV, but you can't take the reality TV out of the girl. I think she is a disastrous choice for Sweden, but if in a few years I am proven wrong I will be here to publically apologize.
What the heck??? Gawd, I am speechless at that link, really. Wow
Old 09-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Royal Highness

Are you implying that there's something sexual about those images or even more appallingly, that how children are dressed affect childhood sexual abuse? Because I find that staggering.

Also, a reality show? It's a documentary series about children and faith that promotes morality. http://www.mediahive.tv/Siyakholwa.php

Also? I'm not familiar with where these girls are from, and I can't look it up from my phone, but it might be wise to learn where they're from and learn about cultural dress and customs in their area before you assume Sofia personally chose their outfits in a quest to groom them to be sex objects.

I kind of love these little girls. Look how happy and excited they look, and with no shred of body anxiety or fears that they don't look good. That's a beautiful picture.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

It's about "children and faith that promotes morality"??

And the best way to promote those things, in the culture of sexual violence that is rife in certain parts of Africa...is to have them dressed like that?

It's Sofia's charity. She has no control over how the girls are dressed when she sent them out?

Yeah. APALLING is a good word for it.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It's about "children and faith that promotes morality"??

And the best way to promote those things, in the culture of sexual violence that is South Africa...is to have them dressed like that??
Did you read the link I provided describing the show? Yes, it is about children and faith that promotes morality, and all kinds of different faiths. It sounds like a fantastic program and something very positive for the kids of Project Playground to be involved with.

And that's just it- the way people are dressed says almost nothing about their morality, who they are as people or what they believe. And clothing styles and what's appropriate vary widely across different cultures and I'd spend some time finding out more about these girls and who they are and where they come from before you jump to the conclusion that there's anything wrong here.

And once more with feeling: clothing style has NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH SEXUAL VIOLENCE. Nothing. There is no link,

The perception that there is a link is entwined with the horrifying idea that some rape victims are "asking for it".

Possibly these adorable little girls are a dance group?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Did you read the link I provided describing the show? Yes, it is about children and faith that promotes morality, and all kinds of different faiths. It sounds like a fantastic program and something very positive for the kids of Project Playground to be involved with.

And that's just it- the way people are dressed says almost nothing about their morality, who they are as people or what they believe. And clothing styles and what's appropriate vary widely across different cultures and I'd spend some time finding out more about these girls and who they are and where they come from before you jump to the conclusion that there's anything wrong here.

And once more with feeling: clothing style has NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH SEXUAL VIOLENCE. Nothing. There is no link,

The perception that there is a link is entwined with the horrifying idea that some rape victims are "asking for it".

Possibly these adorable little girls are a dance group?
Well said.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

[The perception that there is a link is entwined with the horrifying idea that some rape victims are "asking for it".]//

HRRHermione, please don't go there. Trust me when I tell you it's simply not a very good idea, for many reasons.

This about SH, and what I feel is her very questionable judgement in allowing young girls from a dangerous part of the world FOR young girls to audition for a show about "faith and morality" dressed that way.

Were tank tops and jeans strictly out of the question?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
[The perception that there is a link is entwined with the horrifying idea that some rape victims are "asking for it".]//

HRRHermione, please don't go there. Trust me when I tell you it's simply not a very good idea, for many reasons.

This about SF, and what I feel is her very questionable judgement in allowing young girls from a dangerous part of the world FOR young girls to audition for a show about "faith and morality" dressed that way.

Were tank tops and jeans strictly out of the question?
You made the link between their clothing and sexual violence more than once, I merely pointed out that such a link is both inaccurate and can be construed as victim blaming. You've also just made that link again.

Also, there is no evidence whatsoever that Sofia was present when these girls left for their show, or that she had any direct hand in their attire, which- as I've said- you should make sure was not for a purpose or culturally accepted in their area before you criticize it.

You dislike Sofia, so you see what you wish, and as a result you're seeing something crass in a photo of a group of happy, proud little girls.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

And you-on the other hand like her, so nothing she does or has done will cause you to question her judgement.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
And you-on the other hand like her, so nothing she does or has done will cause you to question her judgement.
No, that's not true at all. I think as a young woman, she did display some poor judgement, in a few instances, but I don't think it's unforgivable nor is it something that needs to be discussed to death on every page of a 90 page thread.

Since she's been dating Carl Philip, she has done her best to behave appropriately as his girlfriend and has done so with few missteps. Also she seems to genuinely enjoy her charity work and I like that.

Plus I love a good redemption story and I like seeing people end up happy.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

On your last sentence, I think we have finally found some common ground.

For example, I like Mette-Marit of Norway very much. Maybe it will be the same with SH after a while, who knows.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
On your last sentence, I think we have finally found some common ground.

For example, I like Mette-Marit of Norway very much. Maybe it will be the same with SH after a while, who knows.
And that's fair enough and I hope it comes to pass. Or who knows, I could be wrong and she could develop a reality show called The Real Housewives of the Bernadotte Dynasty and swan around in yoga pants and a tiara all day.

Which would be hilarious, but terrible PR :)
Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
And that's fair enough and I hope it comes to pass. Or who knows, I could be wrong and she could develop a reality show called The Real Housewives of the Bernadotte Dynasty and swan around in yoga pants and a tiara all day.

Which would be hilarious, but terrible PR :)
Hahahaha!!!!!! Oh God, that is awesome!!!

I want to swan around in yoga pants and a tiara!!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post

Hahahaha!!!!!! Oh God, that is awesome!!!

I want to swan around in yoga pants and a tiara!!
With a matching hot pink velour sweatshirt that says "HRH The Princess" in sequins.

Tags
prince carl philip