The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:16 AM
Royal Highness

Well,the tabloids make up 98% of their articles and often fabricate stories, we do not know if the tale with the woman in the department store is true or not.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning is the only magazine in Sweden, which praises and promotes Sofia almost in their every issue, so I doubt that they would write about this if it wasn't true.

Sofia in Istanbul to turkish magazine (with Google translation, so this isn't accurate, perhaps some of our turkish members could translate this)
Hellqvist answered questions after the match, on her second visit to Turkey. "Turkish Airlines and Turkey are very welcoming and friendly to everyone. Istanbul is a very charming place. I would like to bring my fiancé, Carl Philip here," she said. Hellqvist, who has been Prince Carl Philip of Sweden's live-in-partner since 2011, declined to answer the question about marrying him: "I can not talk about these issues without permission from them. The only thing I can say is, he is my eternal love".
Sofia Hellqvist 23 Temmuz 2013 / 4 - Magazin Foto Galeri

Old 07-27-2013, 05:48 AM
Royal Highness

OMG,if she really talked to Svensk Damtidning it does not really serve her well,all the other people who married into royal families did not talk to the press and kept a low profile before the wedding.
. Helen Keller
Old 07-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Majesty

If true, she didn't say anything too revealing at all. She complimented Turkey's Airlines and Turkey and then didn't comment about her personal life. Good for Sofia.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Serene Highness

They should just get married. Geez.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
If true, she didn't say anything too revealing at all. She complimented Turkey's Airlines and Turkey and then didn't comment about her personal life. Good for Sofia.

I think she was too revealing, if that was what she really said. Since there was not a formal engagement yet, her saying "my fiancé" is, in fact, commenting on her private life a little too much.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Majesty

I think the article was translated in saying "fiancé" but I think she may have said boyfriend. Again, she didn't say anything she wasn't suppose to say. She was kind and gracious.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
My fiancé... That Is too revealing when you are supposed to keep it under the covers so to speak! She should be professional and respectful just like everyone else and leave it quiet until it is official. Happy or not, that is for the court to decide and announce! The court needs to approve of this courtship before they can officially be finances and represent the family. Victoria and Daniel had to do it, and so did Chris and Madeline! Both of these couples were also low key and kept any possible engagement quiet and undetected until announced as it should be!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think the article was translated in saying "fiancé" but I think she may have said boyfriend. Again, she didn't say anything she wasn't suppose to say. She was kind and gracious.
Yes, Google translation was the first thing I thought of. "Fiance" does not necessarily mean the same thing in one language as it does in English.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:32 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

(Graciously) babbling about her royal boyfriend and his family. I do not recall any other royal girl/boyfriend doing that*, they usually evade the press like the plague. But somehow for Sofia the Swedish court has different rules, though I suppose that such an attitude to the press would still set all the alarm bells of in most other courts (and quite rightly so). But she needed and uses this charity to polish up her reputation and the only reason why the press pays attention to the charity is due to her royal boyfriend, so she is stuck in a self created limbo. Anyway, I wish they would get engaged and get the thing over with, perhaps all this babbling will be less irritating when she is actually married. The prince has made a mockery of himself and of his family IMHO.

* except Marie Chevallier who talked to Point de Vue once.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
(Graciously) babbling about her royal boyfriend and his family. I do not recall any other royal girl/boyfriend doing that*, they usually evade the press like the plague. But somehow for Sofia the Swedish court has different rules, though I suppose that such an attitude to the press would still set all the alarm bells of in most other courts (and quite rightly so). But she needed and uses this charity to polish up her reputation and the only reason why the press pays attention to the charity is due to her royal boyfriend, so she is stuck in a self created limbo. Anyway, I wish they would get engaged and get the thing over with, perhaps all this babbling will be less irritating when she is actually married. The prince has made a mockery of himself and of his family IMHO.

Well said, Marengo! Couldn't agree more!
Old 07-31-2013, 03:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

The word in Sofia's turkish "interview" which Sofia is written to say of Carl Philip is "nişanlım"
At the online dictionaries "nişanlı" is fiancé, as an adjective "nişanlı" means engaged.
nişanlı - English translation - bab.la Turkish-English dictionary
"erkek arkadaş" or "flört" is boyfriend.
boyfriend - Turkish translation - bab.la English-Turkish dictionary

I'm still amazed how Sofia can babble freely about Carl Philip to the press.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

I completely agree,while Sophia did not say anything indecent,the whole matter does not let her appear very sophisticated and regal. Personally I prefer people who are understated and do not make such a fuss about their personal life,talk about themselves all the time etc.
In this regard I am particularly fond of Prince Daniel´s behaviour and very noble manners, he never talked to the press even when they were writing nasty articles about him before the engagement.

While we do not know Sophia´s exact words (due to the translation and artistic freedom of writers), she would be better off by not talking to the press at all. If she feels like telling the public her side of the story, it would be better to release a formal statement.
. Helen Keller
Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I think Sofia wants people to believe that her position is stronger within the family than it actually is. Will they marry? I don't know. If they don't, its because CP doesnt want to. I can easily imagine that. He's his father's son. Maybe he wants to enjoy life with a woman, race his cars, do what he wants, without the necessity (that's the difference to CG's life as heir) to committ and find a woman with princess material.
CP can still marry and have children when he's 50 or even older, and not everybody wants a family of his own, his sisters will provide him with some nephews & nieces, maybe that's enough for him and he can keep his freedom.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think Sofia wants people to believe that her position is stronger within the family than it actually is. Will they marry? I don't know. If they don't, its because CP doesnt want to. I can easily imagine that. He's his father's son. Maybe he wants to enjoy life with a woman, race his cars, do what he wants, without the necessity (that's the difference to CG's life as heir) to committ and find a woman with princess material.
CP can still marry and have children when he's 50 or even older, and not everybody wants a family of his own, his sisters will provide him with some nephews & nieces, maybe that's enough for him and he can keep his freedom.
Hi, DOM,
whereas I agree on your Point, that he only needs to marry when HE wants .... I do not agree that he is behaving like his father prior to his wedding: while the King had dozens of girlfriends and short relationships, Carl Philipp only had 2 and both of them were/are long-term ones. Nevertheless I think it is wise to "check out the relationship" in-depth PRIOR to a wedding. A divorce is always the worst thing, worse than waiting waiting waiting.
Bye Bine
Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 AM
Majesty

I think you guys are overreacting to her nice short words. Then again, I guess that's what happens when people talk about Sofia.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Pictures of Carl Philip and Sofia at the arrival at Nice airport, July 28
All Over Press Finland.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Majesty

Very nice pictures of the couple with their dog.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sophia needs to keep her head down and her mouth shut. If she truly loves CP and wants to be a part of his family, that's what she will do. No talking to the press or just about anyone else for that matter about her "fiancé". Take notes from Prince Daniel & Chris.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Sadly it seems that the Swedish RF of today does not mind her babbling to the press, otherwise they would have stopped it by now. Their PR department is notoriously bad so perhaps perhaps mr. Tennert had something to do with this too. The quotes are usually of an air headedness and shallowness that is mind boggling too: the we-are-so-in-love lines we usually get from D-listers. Now such talks can perhaps be entertaining if it comes from participants of Geordie Shore, but she isn't one of them. She may become a princess of Sweden, representing a country! I am quite sure that at most other courts any partner that so openly flaunts her royal connections and uses them to gain fame would be a persona non grata ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
I think you guys are overreacting to her nice short words. Then again, I guess that's what happens when people talk about Sofia.
In what way are we overreacting? Most posters say they prefer her to be quiet and stop babbling to the gossip press, as practically ALL other royal partners have done in the past. Many/most royals don't even talk to the press after the wedding. Perhaps her starting an education instead of (ab)using a charity to white wash her image would have been preferable to most too. Instead of over reacting I find that this is just common sense and stating the obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofMarmelade
That was my hope too,but since she posed in a group picture for Madeleine's wedding banns I consider the engagement a done deal. Unless this was another one of Mr. Tennert's brilliant strategies.

Tags
prince carl philip