The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
You are correct, the legal base for not allowing princess Mabel the title of princess of The Netherlands is different. In Sweden the government doesn't need to give permission to a wedding of a royal AFAIK.
Wrong, the Swedish government have to give its consent for a member of the royal family to marry if he/she wants to stay in the Order of Succession, according to the stipulations in the Swedish Act of Succession, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Act_of_Succession

As for what title the spouse (or child) of a member of the royal family will have, it is something the monarch will decide, it's not that the spouse of a prince automatically becomes an HRH and princess of Sweden. So if the king really wants to be "För Sverige i tiden" (For Sweden - With the Times) like the royal motto he once chose, he shouldn't chose to give titles of different status to the spouses of his younger children, depending on the sex of the royal spouse, nor should there be a difference in the title and status of future children.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
As for what title the spouse (or child) of a member of the royal family will have, it is something the monarch will decide, it's not that the spouse of a prince automatically becomes an HRH and princess of Sweden. So if the king really wants to be "För Sverige i tiden" (For Sweden - With the Times) like the royal motto he once chose, he shouldn't chose to give titles of different status to the spouses of his younger children, depending on the sex of the royal spouse, nor should there be a difference in the title and status of future children.
I've followed this "Title or no title for Sofia"-discussion for a while now. And I've always wondered why no-one ever arguments with the most obvicious argument. It's not the royal family that denies Chris a title but only himself by choosing to keep his american citizenship. Because you can't be a Prince of Sweden when your not a Swede yourself. Or a duke of a dukedom in a country you're not citizen of. It's as simple as that.

Sofia on the other hand is swedish citizen. So why should she be denied a title? Just because another person marrying into the family decides against it? If the royal family decides she doesn't deserve a title if she really marries Carl Philip just because Chris doesn't get one now, THEN they're handling things differently. Because Jonas (as a swedish citizen) would have had a title.

It's not Sofias fault that Chris decided on staying american citizen and thus not being able to recieve a title. You all should start to think more about this fact.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Sofia on the other hand is swedish citizen. So why should she be denied a title? Just because another person marrying into the family decides against it? If the royal family decides she doesn't deserve a title if she really marries Carl Philip just because Chris doesn't get one now, THEN they're handling things differently. Because Jonas (as a swedish citizen) would have had a title.

It's not Sofias fault that Chris decided on staying american citizen and thus not being able to recieve a title. You all should start to think more about this fact.
Thank you for your input & giving us your version of the story,but I think you may have missed a few details-on the last few pages we were not talking about wheter Sofia should not get a title because Chris doesn´t get one by his choice (very smart IMO,shows that he is a very clever man) but because of her past.
She may get a lesser title than Princess,but right now the title and wheter she will get one/which one is not the most important question.

The title doesn´t have anything to do with nationality-royals of the past have always strengthend alliances with other countries by exchanging brides and grooms to other Royal families-and from modern day we have Tasmanian CP Mary and Argentinian CP Maxima or also German Queen Silvia who received a title with no problems.IF Chris wanted to have a title he would have got one,but obviously he doesn´t care about such superficial things and therefore decided against it.
. Helen Keller
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Thank you for your input & giving us your version of the story,but I think you may have missed a few details-on the last few pages we were not talking about wheter Sofia should not get a title because Chris doesn´t get one by his choice (very smart IMO,shows that he is a very clever man) but because of her past.
I disagree here. There was a lot of talk that Sofia shouldn't be given a title because Chris also doesn't get one now and it would not be fair if he gets none when she gets one because of gender equality.

Yes, there was also talk about her past, but that was not the main argument 5, 6, 7 pages ago. The main argument was gender equality which is not the right argument IMO.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
The members of TRF represent a part of the general society and EVERY European royal family needs to care for the public opinion unless they want to be abolished
If public opinion were to be so important every royal house would be gone by now. We have seen a king abdicate in order to marry a divorcee, naked photos from Las Vegas, a current king with illegitimate children, a current king living a double life for most of his married life, a queen and head of the Church of England with three out of four children divorced. One can go on and on. Being born into and being part of a royal family is no guarantee for integrity and good judgement. Sweden just buried a very loved and respected member of the royal family that met her prince while being a nightclub hostess/model/actess, hardly respectable professions for a future princess, and then being supported by him and living with him without being married through the 40's, 50's, 60's and into the 70's. Hardly times when respectable royals and aristocrats lived in "sin". Sofia made a very unfortunate mistake in her young days but she is hardly alone in this. Other than the photos that have surfaced there has been no other news of a questionable lifestyle. Swedes have a big heart for friends, family and their royals and any less then perfect decisions they may make. Sofia will be welcomed as Carl Philip's choice and perhaps time for the rest to let go.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Majesty

I agree, it's time for people to let that stuff go.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Majesty

I say let Prince Carl Philip be happy. It seems like his family is happy that he's happy. That's all that matters.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
The reason there was a compromise with the Oranjes is because Prince Friso decided to marry without the approval of the government. There was a legal reason to deny Mabel a title.
if CP and Sofia ever do what Friso and Mabel did, 'provide incomplete and false information' of her past, this thread will explode
The dutch government made clear they would never approve of the marriage after that and he chose marriage and lost his place in succession...

imo, i know a lot of people dislike Sofia, but their situation is not *that* bad...
Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Commoner

If he wants her and she wants him, well they should be together. Im not a Sophia fan but I do believe that this relatiinship must run its course. If that means marriage then so be it. Hopefully they'll stop giving interviews once it happens.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Majesty

If they become officially engaged, I'm guessing they will give an interview. These days the royals now give interviews everynow and then.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Ok this thread is fastly spiraling out of control and way off topic, I'm closing it for Moderator's review!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sofia Hellqvist at Capetown, Project Playground's football teams participated at a football tournament.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGDVB-5CYAIODEn.jpg:large
Old 03-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Gosh, when will CP be done with this girl!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Majesty

I hope they had fun.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I hope they had fun.
Me too! It looks like it was probably a nice day. I like seeing her Project Playground work.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

Me too! It looks like it was probably a nice day. I like seeing her Project Playground work.
What exactly is ProjectPlayground?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCtrojan View Post

What exactly is ProjectPlayground?
Project Playground is a charity Sofia co-founded that provides recreational activities for children living in poverty. It's pretty neat.

http://www.project-playground.org/en/
Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Royal Highness

By the way, I found this picture of Sofia awhile back, and I love it. She looks very comfortable and happy around these kids, and I think this side of her personality is not often remarked on by people who follow this relationship:

http://asa.svenskdam.se/files/2010/0...G.w300h400.jpg

Here is the original article the pictures were placed in: Carl Philips Sofia Hellqvist plockar prinsesspoäng | Åsas kungliga Europa

And I always assumed people were right and she only got interested in charity after she started dating Carl Philip, but apparently she was doing work in Ghana as early as 2007.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sofia told at a visit to Finland, that she visited Africa shortly when she was 17 years old. In the autumn 2009, after meeting Carl Philip in Båstad and they started calling each other and then dating, Sofia went to Ghana for a charity work and stayed there about two months.
Sofia's photos from Ghana, posted from 16 September-11 October 2009
www.sofiahellqvist.org | Facebook
Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
I disagree here. There was a lot of talk that Sofia shouldn't be given a title because Chris also doesn't get one now and it would not be fair if he gets none when she gets one because of gender equality.

Yes, there was also talk about her past, but that was not the main argument 5, 6, 7 pages ago. The main argument was gender equality which is not the right argument IMO.
My objection to a royal title for the spouse of Carl Philip have nothing to do with whom the spouse was/is/are going to be, I would have made the same objections if he had chosen his former girl-friend Emma(?) as a spouse, but as she was seldom seen or discussed in the Swedish media during their relationship, nor were there any lengthy discussions here, there were no reason to discuss a title for her.

Sofia on the other hand has never been media-shy and she is and have been a public figure, whether it is because of her past (Swedish media has always had an interest in people who have participated in Big Brother and other reality shows), or because of her relationship with Carl Philip, and there has been a very lengthy discussion about her future as a possible spouse and a future title for her, so that's why I have been discussing it here.

To me it's the gender equality that matters when it comes to the titles of the spouses of the junior royals, not who that future spouse is.

Tags
prince carl philip