The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #921  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
You are correct, the legal base for not allowing princess Mabel the title of princess of The Netherlands is different. In Sweden the government doesn't need to give permission to a wedding of a royal AFAIK.
Wrong, the Swedish government have to give its consent for a member of the royal family to marry if he/she wants to stay in the Order of Succession, according to the stipulations in the Swedish Act of Succession, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Act_of_Succession

As for what title the spouse (or child) of a member of the royal family will have, it is something the monarch will decide, it's not that the spouse of a prince automatically becomes an HRH and princess of Sweden. So if the king really wants to be "För Sverige i tiden" (For Sweden - With the Times) like the royal motto he once chose, he shouldn't chose to give titles of different status to the spouses of his younger children, depending on the sex of the royal spouse, nor should there be a difference in the title and status of future children.
__________________

__________________
  #922  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 AM
KitKat2006's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oldenburg, Germany
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
As for what title the spouse (or child) of a member of the royal family will have, it is something the monarch will decide, it's not that the spouse of a prince automatically becomes an HRH and princess of Sweden. So if the king really wants to be "För Sverige i tiden" (For Sweden - With the Times) like the royal motto he once chose, he shouldn't chose to give titles of different status to the spouses of his younger children, depending on the sex of the royal spouse, nor should there be a difference in the title and status of future children.
I've followed this "Title or no title for Sofia"-discussion for a while now. And I've always wondered why no-one ever arguments with the most obvicious argument. It's not the royal family that denies Chris a title but only himself by choosing to keep his american citizenship. Because you can't be a Prince of Sweden when your not a Swede yourself. Or a duke of a dukedom in a country you're not citizen of. It's as simple as that.

Sofia on the other hand is swedish citizen. So why should she be denied a title? Just because another person marrying into the family decides against it? If the royal family decides she doesn't deserve a title if she really marries Carl Philip just because Chris doesn't get one now, THEN they're handling things differently. Because Jonas (as a swedish citizen) would have had a title.

It's not Sofias fault that Chris decided on staying american citizen and thus not being able to recieve a title. You all should start to think more about this fact.
__________________

__________________
Prejudice is opinion without judgement.
- Voltaire (1694 - 1778) -

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
  #923  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM
blauerengel's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Sofia on the other hand is swedish citizen. So why should she be denied a title? Just because another person marrying into the family decides against it? If the royal family decides she doesn't deserve a title if she really marries Carl Philip just because Chris doesn't get one now, THEN they're handling things differently. Because Jonas (as a swedish citizen) would have had a title.

It's not Sofias fault that Chris decided on staying american citizen and thus not being able to recieve a title. You all should start to think more about this fact.
Thank you for your input & giving us your version of the story,but I think you may have missed a few details-on the last few pages we were not talking about wheter Sofia should not get a title because Chris doesn´t get one by his choice (very smart IMO,shows that he is a very clever man) but because of her past.
She may get a lesser title than Princess,but right now the title and wheter she will get one/which one is not the most important question.

The title doesn´t have anything to do with nationality-royals of the past have always strengthend alliances with other countries by exchanging brides and grooms to other Royal families-and from modern day we have Tasmanian CP Mary and Argentinian CP Maxima or also German Queen Silvia who received a title with no problems.IF Chris wanted to have a title he would have got one,but obviously he doesn´t care about such superficial things and therefore decided against it.
__________________
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing
. Helen Keller
  #924  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
KitKat2006's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oldenburg, Germany
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Thank you for your input & giving us your version of the story,but I think you may have missed a few details-on the last few pages we were not talking about wheter Sofia should not get a title because Chris doesn´t get one by his choice (very smart IMO,shows that he is a very clever man) but because of her past.
I disagree here. There was a lot of talk that Sofia shouldn't be given a title because Chris also doesn't get one now and it would not be fair if he gets none when she gets one because of gender equality.

Yes, there was also talk about her past, but that was not the main argument 5, 6, 7 pages ago. The main argument was gender equality which is not the right argument IMO.
__________________
Prejudice is opinion without judgement.
- Voltaire (1694 - 1778) -

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
  #925  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
The members of TRF represent a part of the general society and EVERY European royal family needs to care for the public opinion unless they want to be abolished
If public opinion were to be so important every royal house would be gone by now. We have seen a king abdicate in order to marry a divorcee, naked photos from Las Vegas, a current king with illegitimate children, a current king living a double life for most of his married life, a queen and head of the Church of England with three out of four children divorced. One can go on and on. Being born into and being part of a royal family is no guarantee for integrity and good judgement. Sweden just buried a very loved and respected member of the royal family that met her prince while being a nightclub hostess/model/actess, hardly respectable professions for a future princess, and then being supported by him and living with him without being married through the 40's, 50's, 60's and into the 70's. Hardly times when respectable royals and aristocrats lived in "sin". Sofia made a very unfortunate mistake in her young days but she is hardly alone in this. Other than the photos that have surfaced there has been no other news of a questionable lifestyle. Swedes have a big heart for friends, family and their royals and any less then perfect decisions they may make. Sofia will be welcomed as Carl Philip's choice and perhaps time for the rest to let go.
__________________
  #926  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,395
I agree, it's time for people to let that stuff go.
__________________
  #927  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,395
I say let Prince Carl Philip be happy. It seems like his family is happy that he's happy. That's all that matters.
__________________
  #928  
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
The reason there was a compromise with the Oranjes is because Prince Friso decided to marry without the approval of the government. There was a legal reason to deny Mabel a title.
if CP and Sofia ever do what Friso and Mabel did, 'provide incomplete and false information' of her past, this thread will explode
The dutch government made clear they would never approve of the marriage after that and he chose marriage and lost his place in succession...

imo, i know a lot of people dislike Sofia, but their situation is not *that* bad...
__________________
  #929  
Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: somewhere, Aruba
Posts: 26
If he wants her and she wants him, well they should be together. Im not a Sophia fan but I do believe that this relatiinship must run its course. If that means marriage then so be it. Hopefully they'll stop giving interviews once it happens.
__________________
  #930  
Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,395
If they become officially engaged, I'm guessing they will give an interview. These days the royals now give interviews everynow and then.
__________________
  #931  
Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Posts: 8,603
Ok this thread is fastly spiraling out of control and way off topic, I'm closing it for Moderator's review!
__________________
30th of July 1936-Birth of HRH The Infanta Pilar of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz, Dowager Viscountess de la Torre
  #932  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Turku, Finland
Posts: 14,884
Sofia Hellqvist at Capetown, Project Playground's football teams participated at a football tournament.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGDVB-5CYAIODEn.jpg:large
__________________
  #933  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:27 PM
CrownPrincess5's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States
Posts: 2,545
Gosh, when will CP be done with this girl!
__________________
I don't dream at night, I dream all day. I dream for a living.
-Steven Spielberg
  #934  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,395
I hope they had fun.
__________________
  #935  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I hope they had fun.
Me too! It looks like it was probably a nice day. I like seeing her Project Playground work.
__________________
  #936  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:55 PM
USCtrojan's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Phoenix, United States
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

Me too! It looks like it was probably a nice day. I like seeing her Project Playground work.
What exactly is ProjectPlayground?
__________________
  #937  
Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCtrojan View Post

What exactly is ProjectPlayground?
Project Playground is a charity Sofia co-founded that provides recreational activities for children living in poverty. It's pretty neat.

http://www.project-playground.org/en/
__________________
  #938  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,961
By the way, I found this picture of Sofia awhile back, and I love it. She looks very comfortable and happy around these kids, and I think this side of her personality is not often remarked on by people who follow this relationship:

http://asa.svenskdam.se/files/2010/0...G.w300h400.jpg

Here is the original article the pictures were placed in: Carl Philips Sofia Hellqvist plockar prinsesspoäng | Åsas kungliga Europa

And I always assumed people were right and she only got interested in charity after she started dating Carl Philip, but apparently she was doing work in Ghana as early as 2007.
__________________
  #939  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Turku, Finland
Posts: 14,884
Sofia told at a visit to Finland, that she visited Africa shortly when she was 17 years old. In the autumn 2009, after meeting Carl Philip in Båstad and they started calling each other and then dating, Sofia went to Ghana for a charity work and stayed there about two months.
Sofia's photos from Ghana, posted from 16 September-11 October 2009
www.sofiahellqvist.org | Facebook
__________________
  #940  
Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
I disagree here. There was a lot of talk that Sofia shouldn't be given a title because Chris also doesn't get one now and it would not be fair if he gets none when she gets one because of gender equality.

Yes, there was also talk about her past, but that was not the main argument 5, 6, 7 pages ago. The main argument was gender equality which is not the right argument IMO.
My objection to a royal title for the spouse of Carl Philip have nothing to do with whom the spouse was/is/are going to be, I would have made the same objections if he had chosen his former girl-friend Emma(?) as a spouse, but as she was seldom seen or discussed in the Swedish media during their relationship, nor were there any lengthy discussions here, there were no reason to discuss a title for her.

Sofia on the other hand has never been media-shy and she is and have been a public figure, whether it is because of her past (Swedish media has always had an interest in people who have participated in Big Brother and other reality shows), or because of her relationship with Carl Philip, and there has been a very lengthy discussion about her future as a possible spouse and a future title for her, so that's why I have been discussing it here.

To me it's the gender equality that matters when it comes to the titles of the spouses of the junior royals, not who that future spouse is.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 1: Jan. 2010 - April 2012 principessa Current Events Archive 2239 04-26-2012 05:14 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge style fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]