The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Serene Highness

Agree with KittieAtlanta. For some people it's an obsession.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
perhaps her boyfriend treats her to a new outfit now and then. Nothing wrong with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I'm hoping for a Christmas engagement.
Then let's hope that he also has enough money saved to pay for a wedding, as I doubt that the Swedish tax-payers will want to pick up that bill, after all the expenses for crown princess Victoria's wedding.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure the money can be scraped up somewhere. Taxpayers (and I am one, but in the US) can riot, moan and complain about picking up the cost of C-P's (possible) wedding, but what will be done about it? Nothing, nada, zilch...

Would the taxpayer be so upset if he married someone else? I think not, this is about Sophia and nothing else.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Serene Highness

Am I assuming correctly that this won't be a state wedding (if and when it occurs)?
If this is the case, Carl-Philip may want a smaller 'toned down' wedding anyway and thus cheaper wedding
Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Administrator

If he marries Sofia (Shudders) than he can always follow the example of Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex. It was a low key family wedding (royal family style anyway), I believe the most the taxpayers paid were for the security in Windsor. And the Queen paid for the whole thing.

And I have always thought Sofia was pretty. It wasn't her looks I had a problem with. It was her apparent lack of judgement and apparent quest for fame that I question. If she had acknowledged the pictures (which she has) and had a low brow approach to being the girlfriend of the Prince of Sweden it would be one thing. And by low brow I mean, do your charity work but don't publicize it. Show up for family events (ie.a christening) but don't look like you are looking for the camera. Acknowledge that because you are the girlfriend and there is a natural curiosity about you, be cordial and smile but don't look like (at least that is how it appeared to me) that you are there for the camera. Do the Chris O'Neill thing. The day isn't about you.

Let your actions speak for themselves in a positive way.

But if she is in it for the long haul, we shall see.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
If he marries Sofia (Shudders) than he can always follow the example of Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex. It was a low key family wedding (royal family style anyway), I believe the most the taxpayers paid were for the security in Windsor. And the Queen paid for the whole thing.

And I have always thought Sofia was pretty. It wasn't her looks I had a problem with. It was her apparent lack of judgement and apparent quest for fame that I question. If she had acknowledged the pictures (which she has) and had a low brow approach to being the girlfriend of the Prince of Sweden it would be one thing. And by low brow I mean, do your charity work but don't publicize it. Show up for family events (ie.a christening) but don't look like you are looking for the camera. Acknowledge that because you are the girlfriend and there is a natural curiosity about you, be cordial and smile but don't look like (at least that is how it appeared to me) that you are there for the camera. Do the Chris O'Neill thing. The day isn't about you.

Well said, I agree with everything you're saying.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Well, I think it's great that she's doing charity work but in order for her to help highlight the charity or charities she's involved with and for her to attract people to support the charity, it make sense for her to publically promote the charities that's close to her heart.

Since she's dating Prince Carl Philip, I'm sure Carl Philip and even the palace PR team have encouraged her to give a nice smile when she's being pictured attending an event. It's a good way for people to see that you're a nice person, it makes you look presentable and who in their right mind want a bad and grumpy picture of themselves plasted over magazines and newspapers.

If I was dating Princess Madeleine and I attended an charity event, socitey wedding or whatever, you better bet that I would put my best foot forward and give the photographers a nice and friendly smile. I see nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, I think it's great that she's doing charity work but in order for her to help highlight the charity or charities she's involved with and for her to attract people to support the charity, it make sense for her to publically promote the charities that's close to her heart.

Since she's dating Prince Carl Philip, I'm sure Carl Philip and even the palace PR team have encouraged her to give a nice smile when she's being pictured attending an event. It's a good way for people to see that you're a nice person, it makes you look presentable and who in their right mind want a bad and grumpy picture of themselves plasted over magazines and newspapers.

If I was dating Princess Madeleine and I attended an charity event, socitey wedding or whatever, you better bet that I would put my best foot forward and give the photographers a nice and friendly smile. I see nothing wrong with that.
If you read my post you will have noticed that I acknoweldged that you smile for the cameras and keep it that. For Sofia (and for Kate, and all the royal girlfriends) its a natural curiousity that all of the cameras and attention are gong to be focused on you or in this case Sofia. But if you look at the Christening pictures, this doesn't appear to be the case or at least for me. That is a big difference.

And I disagree to some extent regarding your example of bringing attention to your charity. Of course, each and every charity needs publicity in order to get donations to the cause and attention to a particular society ill that needs fixing. But there is a difference to bringing attention to a charity and actually doing something. Talk the talk and walk the walk.

Again maybe if it didn't appear that you are doing things for a personal gain people (or maybe just me) wouldn't question her sincerity in her charitable work. From the outside looking in, everything Sofia has done has been about bringing attention to Sofia. How can I advance Sofia?

Sofia is really a pretty girl..why feel the need to pose with a snake to become famous? Why appear on a reailty show...to become famous? Why announce on Social media of all things...who you are dating? And yes, I know regular people announce on Twitter that I am dating John Smith who works at the movie theater? Its the same but its not because of what.....her quest for fame.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Again maybe if it didn't appear that you are doing things for a personal gain people (or maybe just me) wouldn't question her sincerity in her charitable work. From the outside looking in, everything Sofia has done has been about bringing attention to Sofia. How can I advance Sofia?

Sofia is really a pretty girl..why feel the need to pose with a snake to become famous? Why appear on a reailty show...to become famous? Why announce on Social media of all things...who you are dating? And yes, I know regular people announce on Twitter that I am dating John Smith who works at the movie theater? Its the same but its not because of what.....her quest for fame.
Well said. I also fear that with the possible engagement Sweden may have their own Closer-scandal.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
If you read my post you will have noticed that I acknoweldged that you smile for the cameras and keep it that. For Sofia (and for Kate, and all the royal girlfriends) its a natural curiousity that all of the cameras and attention are gong to be focused on you or in this case Sofia. But if you look at the Christening pictures, this doesn't appear to be the case or at least for me. That is a big difference.

And I disagree to some extent regarding your example of bringing attention to your charity. Of course, each and every charity needs publicity in order to get donations to the cause and attention to a particular society ill that needs fixing. But there is a difference to bringing attention to a charity and actually doing something. Talk the talk and walk the walk.

I really don't know that much about Sofia's career as a model but I do know that models often do crazy things and I do consider posing with a snake crazy but then again sometimes you do what you have to do to get ahead.

Well, some reality shows seem fun to young people. I wanted to join the show The Real World but I thought it was a bit too much for me so I didn't go there.

I'm not going to pretend I know Sofia was trying her best to seek fame or not but I'm just trying to point out that in some cases people just explore the world outside of their comfort zone. Some people try modeling, some folks join reality shows. Prince Carl Philip may see that there's more to her than just a young girl who appeared in a reality show and who posed with a snake.

I'm sure she work hard behind the scenes on her charity and not just show up to pose for an event.

As I said before, the best thing Sofia can do is try to put her best foor forward when she's in public. Give a nice smile to the camera, continue on supporting her charities and promoting it so others can lend their support. Be a nice and presentable young lady and that's about it.

It's natural that others will have different opnions about her but I do think it's important to remember that the only person that truly know her and what she's all about is her family, friends and her boyfriend, Prince Carl Philip.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Majesty

I also think the palace's PR team have a hand in this as well.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Don't get me started on this palace PR team, they appear to have one of the worst PR departments of all of the royal families. We could probably have a discussion on their hits and misses alone!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
But that is just the most odd thing in this all. Daniel, Emma and Jonas had all to be quiet, and the court's personnel didn't speak about them. Daniel, Emma and Jonas had all an impeccable past. They didn't give interviews (Daniel did a couple after four-five years dating to entrepreneurship magazines about his work, he didn't say a word about Victoria) and they couldn't attend at official events of the royal family. The king allowed them to attend his private 60th birthday party, but not the official one. And now the press chef of the court speaks about Sofia and tells how they are helping her. According to the press Sofia pressed Carl Philip so that she could attend Estelle's christening. Sofia is also talking at her interviews freely about Carl Philip.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Classic examples of seeking fame and more importantly, not being low key.

We should guess and see pictures of you at certain family events but not everything. Hey, even Stephanie (the fiancee of Guillame didn't attend a major event in Luxembourg because they were just engaged!) Autumn Phillips didn't show in an official photo with Queen Elizabeth II until she was engaged! We knew Kate, Chelsy and Daniel had met the royal parent/grandparent but it was all low key until it wasn't.

And why are you talking about your royal boyfriend to press? If you are a royal girlfriend IMO and you feel that you absolutely MUST speak to the press it should be about your charity and thats about it.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Majesty

Well, perhaps the palace PR team are doing things a bit differently with Sofia. I really didn't expect to see Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine girlfriend and boyfriend attending Crown Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel's baby's christening but they were there. I really don't think they pressed to go but Victoria & Daniel invited them with the kindness of their hearts and knowing how much it would mean to Carl Philip and Madeleine.

Most likely Sofia won't talk too much to the press about her relationship but I think if Carl Philip, the King & Queen and palace didn't like her talking at all to the press, they would've told her so.

I know it's pretty easy to look in from the outside and judge a person but I think things would be different if you were on the inside and getting a chance to know the person on a personal level. I remember looking at the pictures of Carl Philip & Sofia at a concert with Victoria & Daniel and Madeleine & Chris and they all looked so happy and comfortable in each others company. I think just as long as Prince Carl Philip is happy, everything should be okay.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Yeah, the photos of the three couples were really sweet.

I do like Sofia, but I have to admit that I find it odd that she and the Palace PR team are talking so much about the relationship. By speaking to the media, it comes off looking a bit attention seeking, even if that isn't her intention. I think they should just stop commenting on the relationship and put the focus on her charity work.

This might have been answered before, but does Sofia work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Well said. I also fear that with the possible engagement Sweden may have their own Closer-scandal.
I agree. If they get engaged, those photos will unfortunately be widely published and reported on.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

The king decided the guest list of the christening. The way the court (and perhaps the king and the queen) are treating Sofia now, it is so unequal for Daniel.
Of course I hope that Carl Philip will be happy. If Sofia makes him happy, they can be very happy as Mr. and Mrs. Bernadotte.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The king decided the guest list of the christening. The way the court (and perhaps the king and the queen) are treating Sofia now, it is so unequal for Daniel.
Of course I hope that Carl Philip will be happy. If Sofia makes him happy, they can be very happy as Mr. and Mrs. Bernadotte.

Maybe the SRF think that Sophia needs some 'selling' in the eyes of the public, more so than Daniel needed, so they are giving interviews and creating a relatively high profile for her.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Project Playground (Sofia and Frida) are naming every month some person, who has helped them, as the "Project Playground Ambassador of the Month". The first ambassador is swedish mediaperson Calle Schulman.
PROJECT PLAYGROUND AMBASSADOR OF THE MONTH
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It's only natural that they were harder to Daniel than to Sofia, because Daniel was involved with the heir and future Queen of Sweden while Sofia is only involved with the spare who has way more possibilities of living a life he wants to live. And not a life traditions and the court is telling him (and his future spouse) to live.

So the only ones we really can compare are the current or former partners of Carl Philip and Madeleine. Victorias former partners and Daniel can only be compared with each other but never really with Sofia, Chris, Emma, Jonas, etc. Because Victoria in her position as Crownprincess is in herself different than her siblings who are "only" normal princes or princesses.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip