The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Poor Carl Philip, it seems Sophia brings bad luck to him. But taken seriously, it is rather sad after the incident with another member of an European royal family, Pierre Casiraghi in an American club.
A random attack is because of his girlfriend?

Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I'm glad Carl Philip is OK.
There are some strange people in this world: how drunk you have to be to attack a complete stranger?!
My opinion on Sofia somewhat changed; you do not try to get between an attacker and someone, unless you really do love that someone.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

In the video of the incident which is included in the 'Aftonbladet' link posted by LadyFinn above and inevitably on youtube by now as well, I don't see a 'crazed attacker'...
It rather appears to show a whole group of people having a drunken brawl including punches and trying to punch back. It strikes me as an example of the kind of unpleasant behaviour which is apparently bound to happen in front of clubs after a long night at 3.00 in the morning.
Very unfortunate incident.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, Aftonbladet's article was written in the morning and they published the video later during the day. The video and the article aren't in sync IMO.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Courtier

What a scare that must have been for both of them.
I am glad that CP is unharmed and that S. too had no injuries.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist have given an interview to Aftonbladet about the incident, there is also a photo of Carl Philip and Sofia and photos of the fight:

The dinner at one of Cannes's most exclusive clubs on Friday was supposed to be an enjoyable evening for their closest. But the night at Baoli ended in a fight cabled all over the world. When the Prince and his Sofia left a man came up and attacked. Everything was captured on film, and since yesterday it has been speculated what was behind the attack.
Today, Aftonbladet reveals what really happened 
- after receiving an exclusive interview with Prince Carl Philip and his girlfriend Sofia Hellqvist. The couple wants to talk about the incident to clarify what happened in the street outside the nightclub and stop the speculation. And they want to make it clear that the battle which was caught on film was the first punch and it came without warning.
- We had a nice evening with our loved ones. When we were about to leave Carl Philip 
was attacked by some strange men, says Sofia.
Sofia and their friends got into the turmoil to protect Carl Philip who got slapped in the face by a person totally unknown for the prince.
Sofia and their friends received several blows before they managed to stop the fight and could get out of this challenging situation.
- It's been an emotional and tumultuous situation. We are feeling well under the circumstances, but it is an event that we would prefer to deal in private and therefore we ask for a little space. We are asking for the media and others that we and our friends get a little peace and quiet at the situation, the prince and Sofia say to Aftonbladet.
The great attention has been tough for both the prince and Sofia, especially because their friends were accused of being behind the trouble.
- We have from many sources been told that our close friends have been involved, and we want to really emphasize that this is not so, the couple says.
- I want to emphasize that my good friends' effort led to that this ad situation, after all, ended up ok, says Carl Philip.
Now they quietly decide how to proceed with the event being investigated internally.
- We will consider how to proceed with a possible lawsuit. It will be decided this week, said Bertil Ternert.
Carl Philip och Sofia talar ut om bråket | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It's reached the UK press, no surprise, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ht-Cannes.html
Old 08-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Sorry the ignorance, but what exactly is happy slapping?
DM loves reporting on all the scandals or controversies surrounding the Swedish Royal Family, doesn't it?
I remember at least 3 articles this year alone - and they don't cover foreign royals that much at all.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Aristocracy

nothing good ever happens at 3am you go clubs and stay till the end this happens more often then not.
maybe he will smarten up get married have a family and stop acting like a 20 year old
Old 08-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

The whole family is worried about Carl Philip
Familjens oro för Carl Philip efter slagsmålet | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation

The nightclub manager tells
Nattklubbschefen berättar om bråket | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation
Old 08-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

So to summarize:

Carl Phillip and friends were minding their own business when a drunk fool, or just a fool, suddenly decided to punch him?

Carl Phillip isn't hurt, just an unpleasant experience richer?

No arrests have been made?

And these are the hard facts?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

What a completely ill-advised decision to give a joint tabloid interview on this 'occasion'... I find it mind-boggling.
By providing a tell-all exclusive about their 3.00am drunken brawl with a supposedly mysterious attacker, Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist succeed in making themselves look and sound like the latest reality TV show couple and subsequent Z-grade celebrities - some 'Big Brother' drop-outs who got themselves into trouble and milk the story in the media, telling it 'all' and absurdly asking to please remain private at the same time.
I find them guilty of further blurring the line between Royalty and Celebs with this move - all wrong, IMHO.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Sorry the ignorance, but what exactly is happy slapping?
It's when one person is slapping another one and the third one is recording it and later put on the Internet.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Sweden's rebel prince happy slapped in front of glamour model girlfriend during night out in Cannes | Mail Online

I wonder where the royal handlers were. While Sweden is quite well-off economically, it is unacceptable for a member of the royal family to engage into any controversies.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I find them guilty of further blurring the line between Royalty and Celebs with this move - all wrong, IMHO.
CP chose a celebrity (Z list though) as girlfriend and possible wife - no surprises here.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
What a completely ill-advised decision to give a joint tabloid interview on this 'occasion'... I find it mind-boggling.
By providing a tell-all exclusive about their 3.00am drunken brawl with a supposedly mysterious attacker, Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist succeed in making themselves look and sound like the latest reality TV show couple and subsequent Z-grade celebrities - some 'Big Brother' drop-outs who got themselves into trouble and milk the story in the media, telling it 'all' and absurdly asking to please remain private at the same time.
ITA with you. Not a surprise there though, I think we can expect more of this in the future. Sofia already showed what she's capable of and CP is succesfully following her path, what a shame.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I seriously don't get this CP gets punched and Sofia is to blame? Next world hunger will have had something to do with Sophia having second helpings.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
Actually, I think that their answers were measured and seemed sincere.

What can't be ignored is that this is the last thing that CP and Sofia needed because, irrespective of any of the facts, everyone will assume that Sofia was to blame and CP is just another playboy prince.

The circumstances of this don't really make sense to me, I have to say. Only time will tell what truly happened.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Courtier

They were showing the video-clip on German TV too. The interesting thing here is that at the beginning of the clip CP seems to start running towards the man as if to "attack" him. Afterwards he is shouting to him something like "slap, come on just slap me". The reporters think there is more to this story than the way the incident is presented in the official press release of the Swedish court. Don't know what to make of it to be honest.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I seriously don't get this CP gets punched and Sofia is to blame? Next world hunger will have had something to do with Sophia having second helpings.
Totally agree. Some people have worked up such a dislike for Sofia that everything that happens to CP or anything he does that they do not like gets laid at her feet. Sometimes bad things just happen to people, even to Swedish princes.

Tags
prince carl philip