Carl Philip attacked by an unknown man in Cannes when he was outside a nightclub with Sofia.
Carl Philip and Sofia have been since the beginning of the week in Riviera. Friday night they were at a night club in Cannes, and after three o'clock in the night an unknown man attacked Carl Philip outside the club. The man hit CP with his fists and took a hold of his neck.
- Let me go, let go, the prince yelled seconds before he was beaten. Sofia was heard repeatedly screaming, "darling, darling" as she tried to go between the prince and the unknown man.
The attack occurred outside the club Baoli which arranged "Crazy angels party" where all the guests were dressed all in white. According to a Norwegian visitor, the club was full and at first there was very good atmosphere.
- The prince sat at a table with eight people. They danced and it was a good atmosphere. When we left at three in the morning, we stopped outside. And suddenly there came a whole flock out. One man held the prince's neck, the next second he got a good whack in the head. It seemed totally unprovoked, says the visitor.
A dozen people were around Carl Philip when he was attacked. At the film several people are seen hitting each other.
- Then the prince and his company left. They walked towards the port, said the visitor.
The court confirmed that Carl Philip has been beaten.
- The Prince has been attacked by a stranger outside a nightclub in Cannes. The person was totally unprovoked, came back and punched him, says the information officer, Bertil Ternert.
He does not know about if the incident is reported to the police, but the court is concerned about what happened and are looking closer to it.
The king and queen and the rest of the royal family are also briefed on the attack against the prince.
- Everyone knows it, says Bertil Ternert.
According to Ternert Carl Philip is still on the French Riviera and is feeling well under the circumstances.
- He is surprised and dazed after the incident but otherwise feeling good. This was an inexplicable situation that occurred, says Bertil Ternert.
Här hamnar Carl Philip i vilt slagsmål | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
Expressen's article about the same issue (the attack was first reported in Aftonbladet)
Carl Philip överfallen av man på nattklubb | Nyheter | Expressen
Carl Philip is normally without body guards, but protected by SÄPO on special occasions. During the attack in Cannes no guards were seen.
- We never go out with what possible threats there are against him, says Sirpa Franzén, Press Officer at SÄPO.
The King has as head of state always bodyguard protection. The Prince and the rest of the royal family are protected in special circumstances.
- They get protection under the special resolution, says Sirpa Franzén.
In general, the prince has bodyguard protection in public contexts. But he has had bodyguards with him even when he had visited the night clubs, in Båstad and Stockholm. SÄPO does not want to go out with if the prince had a body guard during a nightclub visit to Cannes.
- I have no comments on the information that he was there, says Sirpa Franzén.
What is the threat towards the prince?
- We never tell the details of how a person is protected. That's because we do not want to reveal how we work, Franzén says.
Skyddas bara vid speciella tillfällen | Nyheter | Aftonbladet