Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 1: Jan. 2010 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sofia has damaged herself all on her own as it seems that no one forced her into such a seedy life.

Last edited:
He's probably not. Sexism and slut-shaming are pretty common unfortunately; that doesn't make them acceptable though.

Sofia made a choice to take part in a legal activity that didn't hurt anyone in any way. It doesn't make her unworthy of love.

I will always hate seeing women participating in denigrating other women for their sexuality.

Well as my mother always said "you can always count on a woman to try and knock another woman down".

HRHHermione said:
He's probably not. Sexism and slut-shaming are pretty common unfortunately; that doesn't make them acceptable though.

Sofia made a choice to take part in a legal activity that didn't hurt anyone in any way. It doesn't make her unworthy of love.

I will always hate seeing women participating in denigrating other women for their sexuality.

It's not sexism. If Prince Daniel had posed naked with a snake or with his hands tied together do you think that no-one would have said anything? There would have been headlines everywhere. Like it or not, Sofia's past behaviour is not seen as entirely conventional by society and will be a topic should she and Prince Carl Philip get engaged.

Simply posing naked doesn't make her a bad person, of course but I personally find her behaviour attention seeking. Announcing on Twitter you're dating the Prince? Talking to the media about their relationship? A 'makeover' program while they are just dating? That can be called unwise at best.

Last edited:
Esmerelda said:
It's not sexism. If Prince Daniel had posed naked with a snake or with his hands tied together do you think that no-one would have said anything? There would have been headlines everywhere. Like it or not, Sofia's past behaviour is not seen as entirely conventional by society and will be a topic should she and Prince Carl Philip get engaged.

Simply posing naked doesn't make her a bad person, of course but I personally find her behaviour attention seeking. Announcing on Twitter you're dating the Prince? Talking to the media about their relationship? A 'makeover' program while they are just dating? That can be called unwise at best.

And THAT is a much longer conversation about sexism and how it works and I won't take over the thread with it. But let me just point out: men's bodies and men's sexuality is not commodified in the same way women's is and Prince Daniel would never have been approached with a similar job offer.

And let me point out once more: it's legal work that doesn't hurt anyone and I think it's a poor reason to write someone off as inferior.

I hate to ask this and have really restrained myself over all the time I have been patr of these forums ... but does this young amn DO anything or is his life to be a true disappointment?? can someone tell me!!!

I hate to ask this and have really restrained myself over all the time I have been patr of these forums ... but does this young amn DO anything or is his life to be a true disappointment?? can someone tell me!!!

I've been thinking the same thing. I once saw a documentary call Young Royals and when the interviewer asked him what he did with his day he said "I play video games". That was a long time ago I'm just hoping he finds something substantial to do with his life rather than "race car driving" and dating Sofia. I do
wish them the best.

Didn't he just graduate school and has since been filling in for Victoria while she's on maternity leave?

Didn't he just graduate school and has since been filling in for Victoria while she's on maternity leave?

Obviously the only event he filled in for Victoria was when he was at the airport welcoming Charles and Camilla, maybe yesterday when also he was on the airport when the finnish president left. The others of his work engagements are his own I think.

And THAT is a much longer conversation about sexism and how it works and I won't take over the thread with it. But let me just point out: men's bodies and men's sexuality is not commodified in the same way women's is and Prince Daniel would never have been approached with a similar job offer.

And let me point out once more: it's legal work that doesn't hurt anyone and I think it's a poor reason to write someone off as inferior.

My goodness. As conservative as I am, I have to agree with you, Hermione. CP is no longer 2nd in line and within a few years, he will probably be 5th in line, which leads me to the conclusion that he should have the freedom to marry whom he wishes.

bertie5252003 said:

Yes he does. If you want to pop over to his currents events thread, you can see what he does.

If there is to be an engagement/wedding this year, then her previous life is best left where it is ---- in the past! As they say ---- the past is another country, and we are all strangers there!

She is what she is, and the Prince has chosen her for better or for worse!

I think Princess Margaret should have been allowed to marry Peter TOWNSEND, instead of that disastrous marriage with Tony Armstrong-Jones in 1960.

Last edited:
If he marrys her, he should lose his HRH and give up his titel, as he doesn't seem keen on performing royal dutys anyway - if she is made a princess, it will backfire on the royal family in sweden -

I really would have liked to see the uproar if there would be naked Pics of Daniel out and about .. next thing is, that royals get their own centerfold in Playboy.

No really - people who want to be taken serious, should keep there clothes on, while posing for pictures - IMHO

Really, I hate it how nudity is still considered cheap. It's just skin. We all show exact the same amount of skin when we're on holiday and are wearing our bikinis. Making money with taking bikini pics is just a job these days and making nude pics isn't a disaster either. I admit it's an unlucky choice if you are keen on marrying a prince lateron but how should Sofia have known this? She simply couldn't. And as long as there aren't coming new pics (really NEW pics not some just now realeased pics) this whole thing isn't a big catastrophe in my eyes. Because honestly, no one can expect from everyone to live an unspectacular, boring live because he/she may maybe meeting and marrying a princess/prince. That's completely idiotic.

I don't thing CP should loose anything. He didn't do anything "wrong" and what his hypotetical future wife did in her past should be left in the past. She would be just a woman who switched jobs, just like so many others do all day over the world. As long as from the beginning of the relationship all is okay there is no reason forcritic in my eyes.

And regarding the "But Daniel in Sofias shoes would have never had a chance to marry Victoria" I can just say: Right so. Because in that case the starting positions are completely different. Daniel was about to marry the future Queen whereas Sofia would just marry a brother of the future Queen who will never ever have a chance on becoming king one day. Quite the opposite is fact. He will be pushed more and more back from the throne the more children there are of Victoria and Daniel and will become less and less important for the royal family in years to come. It's the same like with the sisters of Carl Gustaf. So all the fuss about Sofias pics and life in general - from which 98% are perfectly okay IMO (2% bad choice is okay, because she's a human being and not a robot) - is simply not worth the time.

That's my thinking on this whole situation for all the time now and I doubt it will change in the future. Just like you all won't change your thinking for sure. Which leads to the question why we always come back to this loose-loose-discussion? It's not getting us anywhere.

Sorry but I look nothing like the nude Sofia when I'm in a bikini. The most important and sacred part of me is always hidden...unlike Sofia who doesn't give a hoot about her body, except throwing it around for others to see.

In that matter,I am neutral, but I'd say my views are quite conservative. Though I don't agree that nude photos of Sofia reveal her bad sides or more sins in comparison with other princesses.I rather doubt that others were virgin angels before their eventual engagement, some people have dark hidden private secrets of personal life.

CrownPrincess5 said:
Sorry but I look nothing like the nude Sofia when I'm in a bikini. The most important and sacred part of me is always hidden...unlike Sofia who doesn't give a hoot about her body, except throwing it around for others to see.

"Most Sacred Part"? That's a prudish euphemism worthy of an Austen novel and the idea that there's something shameful about the female body belongs in the same era.

Again, for me its not the nudity. We all are nude at some point in the day.

Its her apparent desire to be famous for all the wrong reasons...the reality show....the previous twitter posting, etc. Check out any of the women that Prince Harry of Wales has been linked to, and you get the feeling that they are looking at the so called relationship from a PR angle. And for the record, I am not against reality shows, I happen to watch and like the Kardashians...but I am not saying that anyone of them should marry a member of a royal family.

I also find it strange that some believe that Carl Phillip should have the power to marry who he wants like everyone else. I am sorry...he is NOT like everyone else. He is a representative of Sweden, and although Victoria and Estelle are destined to be Queens, at the end of the day, when Carl and Sofia go around the world to promote Swedish interests...what do you think the first thing people are going to say about her....she posed with a snake and was on a reality show! So who he marries, does matter in some respects.

I will agree that she has appeared to have toned it down in recent months. So we shall see how it ends up.

Last edited:
This thread is seriously going around in circles and nothing gets resolved. Carl Philip doesn't give a crap what some randoms on a thread think about his girlfriend and possible future wife. He likes her, you don't, only one persons opinion matters in this scenario....well that and his families.

:previous:
... and Swedish people.
As long as Prince Carl Philip remains a Prince of Sweden, the opinion of the country's population is going to matter to him. A lot.

True! It doesn't matter what we think ... and the people of Sweden have Victoria so I don't think it will bother them who her brother or sister end of marrying! They may not like it, but they will accept it, and concentrate on Victoria and her family.

Why do I prefer Sofia at least to Chris ---- something about that man that does not sit right with me!!

Last edited:
Bunte writes about the article in swedish "Se och Hör", which tells about Sofia living in New York with a divorced man and his son, she acted almost like a step-mother to him. But in the summer 2009 she broke up with his boyfriend... and the swedish papers have reported that Sofia met Carl Philip in July 2009 in Båstad. So the question is: Was it bare calculation - or pure love from Sofia's side?
Carl Philip von Schweden: Die geheime Vergangenheit seiner Sofia - BUNTE
Google translation

I cannot tell whether Sofia's feelings are genuine or not; she's probably the only one who could.
However, the timing just doesn't say anything; sometimes you can fall for someone literally at first glance, Prince or not.

I think that it matters who Carl Philip marries! CPh has now increasing duties and will probably continue, since Madeleine is likely to be little available. Sweden should be represented by respectable people and I am not sure that applies to SOfia!! I think the Swedish monarchy needs reasons for appreciations, after the scandals ... and I do not see Sofia contributing to that.

Artemisia said:
... and Swedish people.
As long as Prince Carl Philip remains a Prince of Sweden, the opinion of the country's population is going to matter to him. A lot.

You can have an opinion all you want, but to think your opinion matters more than Carl Philip's when it is his life is the problem. Famous people including royalty should not dictate their lives to what the masses want them to do. It is still my opinion that the people who are actually involved and affected by Sofia are CP and his family, and if they have accepted her there has to be a reason. People looking in from the outside and have nothing but pictures and speculation have zero understanding of the actual people involved and that they are more than a millisecond snapshot.
This whole discussion reminds me of the lead up to Charles marriage to Camilla, she is unfit and he should be penalized for marrying her.

Last edited:
In case you didn't notice from my posts in this thread, I am actually one of the few who believe Sofia should be given a chance and, should an engagement be announced, Carl Philip must not relinquish his rights for merely choosing to marry the woman he loves.
However, Carl Philip is a Prince of Sweden; of course the opinion of Swedish people matters. If there is an exceptional strong opposition and/or more controversies surrounding Sofia's name, Swedish Royal Family will not be able to just do whatever they want; they'll have to take into account people's opinion.

My opinion, on the other hand, matters little since I'm not a Swede. I only share my point of view; if you do not agree with it, you can disregard it - it's your right.

With the exception of Victoria and her family and queen Silvia, members of the SRF have become more and more impopular here in Sweden and the number of people who are either against the monarchy or indifferent is getting higher. There are parties in the Swedish parliament that want to abolish the monarchy and if they feel that there is a majority among the public that doesn't care what happens with the royal family there may well be a move towards a republic in the parliament. To abolish the monarchy would only take two votings in the Swedish parliament with an election between the votings.

To say that Carl Philip's position lessens with each child Victoria have is true, but until Estelle reaches her 18th birthday he is the one who will become a regent for her if anything happens before that to Victoria and if the king dies before Estelle is 18. Even if the members of the Bernadotte family tend to live long healthy lives accidents do happen, you just have to remember the death of prince Gustav Adolf when prince Carl Gustav wasn't even a year old.

With the exception of Victoria and her family and queen Silvia, members of the SRF have become more and more impopular here in Sweden and the number of people who are either against the monarchy or indifferent is getting higher. There are parties in the Swedish parliament that want to abolish the monarchy and if they feel that there is a majority among the public that doesn't care what happens with the royal family there may well be a move towards a republic in the parliament. To abolish the monarchy would only take two votings in the Swedish parliament with an election between the votings.

To say that Carl Philip's position lessens with each child Victoria have is true, but until Estelle reaches her 18th birthday he is the one who will become a regent for her if anything happens before that to Victoria and if the king dies before Estelle is 18. Even if the members of the Bernadotte family tend to live long healthy lives accidents do happen, you just have to remember the death of prince Gustav Adolf when prince Carl Gustav wasn't even a year old.
Thank you Meraude! Nailed it.

In case you didn't notice from my posts in this thread, I am actually one of the few who believe Sofia should be given a chance and, should an engagement be announced, Carl Philip must not relinquish his rights for merely choosing to marry the woman he loves.

That's exactly what my opinion is, too. Very well said.

However, Carl Philip is a Prince of Sweden; of course the opinion of Swedish people matters. If there is an exceptional strong opposition and/or more controversies surrounding Sofia's name, Swedish Royal Family will not be able to just do whatever they want; they'll have to take into account people's opinion.

That's also right. If there is a big fuss over this matter in Sweden, than CP and the royal family have to react. There's no denying it. But the thing is, as far as I'm informed, this whole Sofia situation isn't a big fuss in Sweden right now. Mostly it's non-Swedes who are making a big fuss about it and I don't get why? It doesn't matter to them. Why not let the Swedes decide for themselves? If they don't have much problems with Sofia everything should be okay, right?

I've contacted a big number of swedish members last fall via PN because I was curious how the Sofia situation was recognized and handled in Sweden. And about 90% of the answers were like "There's no big fuss about them. They don't really matter, because Victoria and Daniel are the favourites anyway. So most people acknowledge Carl Philip and Sofia but don't thing so much about them. Because they don't really matter in any way." And if the Swedes can look and this situation like this, why can't everyone else do it too?

And if the Swedes can look and this situation like this, why can't everyone else do it too?
As long as she is a private citizen it doesn't matter, she can do whatever she wants, it's another thing if she was to become engaged to Carl Philip. She may be ok as duchess of Värmland, but I can't see her as a HRH princess of Sweden. (Well, perhaps if she is willing to wait for it for 33 years.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom