The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

She looks cute; he looks worn out.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

"The prince spends all his time with Sofia - Carl Philip ignores his school ratings. He is alling behind at school more and more"
Expressen Extra

Old 10-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
"The prince spends all his time with Sofia - Carl Philip ignores his school ratings. He is alling behind at school more and more"
Expressen Extra
It's not new, here's an article about it written a year ago: Prins, inte plugghäst | Tema Utbildning | Aftonbladet

It was planned that he would finish his studies in January 2012, I doubt he will magage that.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

SvenskDam (paper version) writes about Carl Philip´s and Sofia´s holiday of love in Thailand a few weeks ago. They arrived to Thailand at five o´clock in the morning, and were welcomed by a person from the embassy.
After they had returned home, Sofia was seen with her friend Rebecca Simonsson at restaurant Escalier last Friday. They ate oysters, and drank RedBull energy drink. Sofia was also using her phone, so SvenskDam thinks that maybe she was missing her prince...

Carl Philip von Schweden: Seine Sofia will unbedingt seriös sein! - BUNTE
Old 10-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

in Aftonbladet Plus

How Sofia is drilled to be a princess
Sofia Hellqvist, 26, could be our next princess.
From ast spring glamour model from the valley has been living with Prince Carl Philip and now she's turning into Sweden symbol.
Work has already started - Sofia goes prinsesschool.
Så ska Sofia drillas till prinsessa
Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn
in Aftonbladet Plus

From ast spring glamour model from the valley has been living with Prince Carl Philip and now she's turning into Sweden symbol.
And thus begins the end of the Swedish monarchy :whistle:
Old 10-26-2011, 04:11 AM
Courtier

Sofia is certainly as attractive as Carl Philip is handsome. The combination could just make them one of the most photographed couples in Europe and be an additional boost that could only do the Swedish monarchy good. Sofia seems lovely and if she has the makings of a successful Princess, well then good for her. Carl Philip certainly seems very proud of her.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Its only adding to the sentiment that royals become more and more like celebrities with zero "power" apart from supporting the media industry by selling a fake fairy tale. No problem so far but although people pay to see zoo animals, I doubt people will continue to pay for the royal zoo animals to look at, with little difference to the celebrities who are out there for free.

CP & Sofia are the best example lately, and certainly not the last with new generations to come, that the idea of a royal family with regard to serving the country is dead. Victoria being popular or not, I cant see them lasting another century since there is no real purpose apart from entertainment and I dont think that in the long run people will want or, more importantly, will be able to pay for a lavish livestyle in return for nice pictures.

My opinion of Sofia and her "qualifications" is very low, but then my opinion of CP and his "qualifications" is equally low. The spoilt good looking car racer and the attention seeking nude model - I guess they deserve each other.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Courtier

I have to agree with a lot of what you say Duke of Marmelade. Royal families today do contribute very little to society excepting for glamor, wearing tiaras and cutting ribbons which does give the press something to photograph and write columns about. There is also the tourist aspect where people do visit certain countries solely because of the present monarchy. However, one does wonder if the cost of their lavish lifestyle does warrant what society actually gets back in return. Sofia and Carl Philip may not be at the height of successful professionals but they certainly can bring the glamor aspect to the table which is basically all the public gets from royalty these days. I think a lot of people do like to see royalty as role models and upstanding citizens but many of them are anything but. Sofia may be considered to be unsuitable now but look at the questionable lady company Princes like Andrew and Harry have kept let alone all the scandal in monarchies like the BRF. Existing protocol was even bent to accomodate Charles and Camilla. Just because royals cut ribbons I think they still feel the right to live their lives in a way they choose. If the public is unhappy about it, well tough. Will the public ever question the "value for money" aspect, well that remains to be seen.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Nobility

I think the royal aids are not doing a good job. They should first focus on CP and try to improve his profile . Maybe put him on the board of a musueum (I suppose he has got artistic interests) and make him work there form 9 to 5 at least twice a week. He sould as well be on the board of a foundation. How can somebody believe his wisdom in his choices if he is not himself taken seriously? And Sofia should also find other activities besides her charity work. Maybe finding a jobwould help. Only cosmetic changes won't help.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
in Aftonbladet Plus

symbol of what??
end of Swedish monarchy??
Old 10-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Aristocracy

If she becomes the most photographed princess it will be for all the wrong reasons. All this "glamor model" stuff is ridiculous and driving me nuts! I'm not a conservative person but since when is posing with a snake covering your breast, naked in front of a mirror, or naked in heals covering your lower privates considered glamor? The longer this goes on the more I'm convinced if he does marry her he should have to give up his title and place in line because it really is threat to the monarchy. Any unpublished photos of her, as soon as they become in engaged the price would skyrocket. No matter now nice or pretty she is, it won't erase those photos. I'm really disappointed in him, hes 32 and what has he done so far? Sure he has designed a few things, but most of his time is spent racing cars for fun, he still hasn't graduated from his agriculture college studies has he?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Courtier

Very pretty she is, and she can change.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

TBH, I think the King refusing to give permission to the marriage will hurt the Swedish monarchy more than allowing the marriage. I imagine the press will have a field day with the king being all strict here, after last years scandal with the singer.

If there will be a wedding, the best we can hope for is that the couple will be happy with a role out of the spotlights. But somehow that doesn't seem to be in line with Sofia's past ambitions.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Serene Highness

I guess we'll see how this plays out. I definitely think they'll wait until Victoria's child is born if they do get engaged.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Aristocracy

I don't see how refusing to give permission could be any worse then giving them the permission. If it did create a scandal it will be a mock one drummed by gossip magazines to sell more papers. I hate being so critical of someone I don't know, but I haven't seen any evidence of change, her trip to Africa was after she had already meet the prince (while he was still with Emma), and now all the charity that shes been doing are things that involve dressing up and cameras, or putting her name on things like lip gloss and yoga clothes. Going from that type of modeling to living with and off of as I don't think she is employed isn't a change it's a shift.

It would horribly unfair to use the birth of a couples first child publics goodwill as a cover to get hitched.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilla View Post
Very pretty she is, and she can change.
I do agree here. Give the girl a chance. She may just end up doing a good job and rise up to be a successful princess. It would be different is she was still posing nude after an official engagement. In any case, Prince Carl Philip's association with her would not be the first scandal to hit a royal house.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisiesforever View Post
I do agree here. Give the girl a chance. She may just end up doing a good job and rise up to be a successful princess. It would be different is she was still posing nude after an official engagement. In any case, Prince Carl Philip's association with her would not be the first scandal to hit a royal house.
Sorry to be a non believer in people, but how many people do actually change, intrinsically, not nice behaviour on the outside untill the storm passes?
I tend to go with those who believe that any visable change is just outward, to make people think more positively, like PR change, not more.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Commoner

For good, or for bad, our past actions always impact on how people think of us. I think this is especially true in Sofia's case. Whether or not she becomes Carl Philip's wife, regardless of what good deeds she might perform, or how impeccably she might behave from here on in, she cannot change her past and whether we like it or not, people will judge her for it. Whilst in my personal opinion, someone with Sofia's past is not an ideal candidate for becoming a princess (and that is only my opinion, I respect that the opinions of others may be different) it seems to me that it will come down to whether or not the Swedish Royal Family and the people of Sweden are willing to accept her in that role. I don't pretend to know Sofia or how her mind works, but I would think that the weight of her past must be a heavy cross for her to bear. Whether or not she regrets her past I do not know, but she cannot change it. It remains to be seen whether it will cost her her relationship with Carl Philip.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen Extra:
Now everything is clear with the wedding - the loving couple Sofia and Carl Philip - the prince is a very happy man.
http://cdnstatic.expressen.se/polopo...rticleFull.jpg

Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip, relationship, relationships