The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I saw some of the more explicit photos she took and I really don't know how she will be able to live that down. Plus the fact that she has tweeted about their relationship doesn't bode well. I do think an engagement is coming, but I have mixed feelings on the entire relationship. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisma View Post
If Carl Philip don´t get a permission to marry from both the King by the government, the least they do is to take away the title "Royal Highness". Is it really bad, he also loses the title of prince and becomes Duke of Värmland.
No, he probably doesn't stay the Duke of Värmland. All other Swedish princes had ducal titles in addition to their princely title and lost it all when they married without permission, becoming simply Mr. Bernadotte. In case the bride was just a "commoner" but of a pleasant disposition, another reigning house, eg. Belgium or Luxembourg, ennobled them then and made them Counts Bernadotte. That happened eg to Prince Lennart of Sweden who was a duke, but became plain Mr. Bernadotte after his marriage. From his grandmother, Swedish Queen Victoria (nee of Baden) he inherited the island of Mainau in the Bodensee-lake of Constance in South Germany and the relatives in Luxembourg (the Grandduchess was a cousin through his father and her mother) granted him the style of "Count". The Swedish RF is still close friends with their Mainau-relatives. Honestly, I don't think there will be an estate forthcoming if Carl Philip marries Sofia. Well, maybe one in Brazil....

Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Serene Highness

Carl Philip already has an estate or will inherit one. I think it was left to him by his uncle Prince Bertil although Princess Lillian is still living there?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Nobility

Whatever people say on bloggs, twitter and forums the truth is: Most people older than 40 still rather read tabloids and watch the news on TV and dont care about what the "truth" on the Internet is. People over 60 think that there is only hatred in different forums and have created witchhunts already. They belive that the photos were taken a long time ago and that Sofia have changed. After all, most Swedes will not even see the pictures as they dont read foregin tabloids. When the engagement is announced Sweden will be happy once again.

Just search for Hey Baberiba + familjen on youtube and find out why most Swedes feel that Carl-Philip can marry whoever he chooses, many of them angry over the treatment he gets from comedians.

Me? I am currently in favor of another marriage in the royal family, as long as the media stop talking about the Reluctant monarch
Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Commoner

I just hope Victoria and Daniel have many kids, so CP is faaar away from the throne.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Majesty

Preity, from your keyboard to God's ears...may Daniel and Victoria have MANY children, to save Sweden and the Bernadotte's from even the remote possibility of CP and Sofia on the Throne!!

matte74...the photo I saw Friday that shocked me so was definitely NOT taken a long time ago..from looking Sofia's face in the photo it looked to have been taken in the last two or three years. It wasn't an old photo.

Whether she has "changed" or not is beside the point. She cannot make the images disappear...what exactly about her has "changed?" She made the decision fairly recently to exploit herself and her body in that manner and she was obviously quite proud of it...until she moved on to the greener pastures that marrying a Royal Prince would present for her.

That is what has "changed" about SH, imo.

Not impressed.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Nobility

Correctly

Miss Hellqvist has captivated members of TRF so much that some take the time searching of her pictures on the Internet. Officially there are not any relations with HRH prince Carl Filip. One need to se the difference between "official royal" and "private among royals". While Carl Filip is believed to have met Sofia´s family, it is understood that she has not been introduced to any of his relatives. The prince, and the Royal Court, has so far refused to confirm or deny the relationship
Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Miss Hellqvist has captivated members of TRF so much that some take the time searching of her pictures on the Internet. Officially there are not any relations with HRH prince Carl Filip. One need to se the difference between "official royal" and "private among royals". While Carl Filip is believed to have met Sofia´s family, it is understood that she has not been introduced to any of his relatives. The prince, and the Royal Court, has so far refused to confirm or deny the relationship
There is no official relationship = an engagement, but the former informationchef of the court, Nina Eldh, confirmed last summer that they have a relationship.
Carl Philip och Sofia upprörda över bilder - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Johan T Lindwall: Carl Philips krav fick kungen att ta beslutet om Sofia - Nyheter - Senaste nytt | Expressen
Swedish Palace confirms Prince Carl Philip's romance with model after blocking publication of nude photos - hellomagazine.com
Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Aristocracy

im just glad for sweden they have equal primogeniture law. god i could only imaging the horror for the Swedish people at the prospects of Sofia becoming queen if carl phillip was the crown prince
Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Not introduced? She was invited to Haga for the kings 65th birthday. Not confirmed? Tennert said that they were sambos
Old 06-14-2011, 06:14 AM
Nobility

Sofia is seen as a private person among royals

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74 View Post
Not introduced? She was invited to Haga for the kings 65th birthday. Not confirmed? Tennert said that they were sambos
Once again: One need to see the difference between "official royal" and "private among royals". The prince, and the Royal Court, has not confirmed or deny the relationship. Before tha the gouverment and HM the King must give permission. Tha have not happend!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Once again: One need to see the difference between "official royal" and "private among royals". The prince, and the Royal Court, has not confirmed or deny the relationship. Before tha the gouverment and HM the King must give permission. Tha have not happend!
The King and the government have to give permission to a marriage, not to a relationship.
The relationship has already been confirmed by former Bernadotte PR chief Nina Eldh last year, the fact that the couple is living together now in Prince Carl Philip's new house has been confirmed last week by current PR chief Bertil Ternert.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Commoner

Actually, I wonder if the king and Parliament have to give permission for him to marry, since he is not the heir apparent. I know that Prince William did not have to have the permission of the queen to marry once he reached either 28 or 25. I forget which. I am wondering if the same is true for Swedish royals. Actually, he could always marry without the king's permission, if it is required. He would just have to give up his right to ever be the king or for his heirs to be the king or queen. Interesting enough, however, his issue could still become a king or queen consort of another country, should one of them marry an heir apparent of another kingdom. Royalty is complicated, isn't it?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I can't imagine the king refusing to give permission for such a marriage (IF they will ever get engaged/married). Although I won't be cheering when an engagement happens, a refusal to give permission will give even more bad press than an actual engagement will & the press will milk every detail of the 'forbidden love conquers all-story' and such. But both aren't exactly ideal scenarios of course. If they stay together the most we can hope for is that the couple will lead a very private life, much like the king's elder sisters.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Administrator

But isn't there a law in Sweden...that you couldn't marry commoners or something or you would lose your place in the line of succession. Which is why Betril waited until after the old Gustav was deceased and Carl Gustav was married before he married Lillian. And that was why a couple of his uncles lost their place and titles? Or am I mixing this up.

For the record, William could marry after 25 without the Queen consent but he did seek it, and she issued the proclamation about a week before the wedding.

who knows how this is going to turn out.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

In Sweden, the monarch has to approve a marriage or a prince or princess, or the respective person will loose their titles and place in the succession. Carl Gustav was already the King when he married Silvia, so he wasn't depending on anyone's approval. Once he was the monarch, Carl Gustav approved the wedding of his oncle Prince Bertil to Lillian. Therefore Bertil could keep his title and Lillian became a Princess. Carl Gustav's grandfather was much stricter, and all the princes who married commoners during his livetime had to give up titles and their rigt to the succession.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Thanks thats what I pretty much thought. Thank you Tilla C.

But I guess we are putting the cart before the horse (in regards to a possible marriage between CP and Sofia).

Old 06-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Being a fan of art, I think Sofia's python pic is very nice. See absolutely nothing wrong with it. I haven't seen anything racier than that one, but I'm not looking.

However, no python pic will ever be more provocative than that of Nastassja Kinski and the Serpent back in 1981 (I think)...Richard Avedon was the photographer.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Majesty

There is nothing really wrong with the python picture...even though I am not a fan of it.

You don't want to see the rest of her "portfolio" KittyAtlanta...trust me.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Nobility

Thanks for your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Being a fan of art, I think Sofia's python pic is very nice. See absolutely nothing wrong with it. I haven't seen anything racier than that one, but I'm not looking.

However, no python pic will ever be more provocative than that of Nastassja Kinski and the Serpent back in 1981 (I think)...Richard Avedon was the photographer.
Thanks for that! I have not sought and seen so many pictures of Sofia. The ones I have seen is nothing that bothers me. However, there have been many pictures of royalty, which is very disturbing, but - of course - they're already royal, so it is not allowed to talk about them in the TRF. I want to wait and see what happens. Is there anything "oficial" that has been shown in many other royal houses, people are much more generous than you might think of some debate. And before that individuals who become royal's often held the position of the area and have since become celebrated in all keys. For me it's important not to judge in advance but to let everyone get a chance. Jesus said: "He who is without blame themselves should cast the first stone". Thanks again for your post!

Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip, relationship, relationships