The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1081  
Old 01-15-2011, 11:36 AM
KitKat2006's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oldenburg, Germany
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
Judging from the reactions they are saying it, but it's not like CP cares.
And why should he care? It's his and Sofia's love-life and no-one else's business. Also, he isn't the heir to the throne anymore and therefor it's even less important what anyone else thinks about his girlfriend.

Honestly, us digging into his love-life is just the same as him digging into the love-life of any employee of the palace. Or did he mention he doesn't like the wife of the butler oder the girlfriend of the gardener? I haven't heard anything like that. So if he let's them (and us) love who we want we should leave the decision about his love-life to him too.
__________________

__________________
  #1082  
Old 01-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lafayette, United States
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
And why should he care? It's his and Sofia's love-life and no-one else's business. Also, he isn't the heir to the throne anymore and therefor it's even less important what anyone else thinks about his girlfriend.

Honestly, us digging into his love-life is just the same as him digging into the love-life of any employee of the palace. Or did he mention he doesn't like the wife of the butler oder the girlfriend of the gardener? I haven't heard anything like that. So if he let's them (and us) love who we want we should leave the decision about his love-life to him too.

Hi, KitKat2006. In principle I agree with you, particularly in regards to him "digging into" relationships of the palace employees, as he is not the boss. However, with any company, which the royal court essentially is, most people go through a background check. And I would assume the one for the royal court is even more extensive than any "regular" company. I am completely ignorant about the royal court's SOP's, but most large companies also, upon offering a position and processing a new hire, include many documents regarding job performance, privacy, confidentiality of company information, behavior that reflects poorly on the company, and many other factors - all of which can be the basis of advancement and/or termination.

I don't think CP should care what we think but as a member of "the firm" I think he has a responsibility to represent the company, i.e. the royal family to the best of his ability. And in this situation, I just don't believe that he is doing that. In addition, and in the more simplistic area of his immediate family, ANY situation can work out to be a beneficial one for everyone, but rarely do situations such as this one end well. I don't think he should necessarily follow the "orders" of his family to the extent that he loses his own individuality, but I think he (and in the broader sense all of us) have a duty to consider how our families feel, especially in this type of situation - you can divorce a bad relationship and most people get over that. When you "divorce" your family the immediate effects are much more far-reaching and hurtful. And the emotional scars last much longer.

Also I think about the reality of CP's situation in regards to the fact that maintaining his official status (and all its benefits) IS contingent on the approval of the monarch (in this case his father) and the parliament. It is entirely possible that he receives approval from his father (who seems rather over-indulgent where CP is concerned) and does not receive approval from parliament. That does more than just affect him...it places his father in an awkward position at best, and if he chose to marry someone parliament did not approve of anyway, creates ill will with them.

As stated before, if this is really that serious, CP needs to be prepared for the consequences of his choices and lose possible rank, style, and whatever else could be affected. It is not without recent precedent - Prince Friso is no longer a member of the Dutch Royal House, just the Dutch Royal Family, sacrificing his position in the line of succession as a result. I don't know how it would work or what the king would do regarding CP's title, but if he did lose the "Prince of Sweden" title, I'm not sure how likely it is that another monarch could grant a title (as was done with princes who married commoners in the past). The marriages of the king's sisters and the changes in the constitution should not guarantee no problem in this area because their marriages were approved and therefore they retained their courtesy titles.

I wonder - if faced with the possibility of becoming simply "Carl-Philip Bernadotte" with no title or style because of an unapproved marriage, what would he choose to do? Or for that matter, what would she?
__________________

__________________
  #1083  
Old 01-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Esmerelda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,215
I don't like Sofia either but she is not a criminal and as far as we know does not have any connections that can compromise the royal family in an official way as Mabel had if you see what I mean. So I think it unlikely that parliament would withhold permission. As for Carl Philip giving up his title, he's not completely useless and I believe he can go into the army full time if nothing else. Besides which he probably has private wealth to support him, title or no.
__________________
  #1084  
Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
...
I wonder - if faced with the possibility of becoming simply "Carl-Philip Bernadotte" with no title or style because of an unapproved marriage, what would he choose to do? Or for that matter, what would she?
For likely responses se the actions of the last princes of the house of Bernadotte in the same situation:
Count Sigvard Bernadotte of Wisborg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Johan_Bernadotte
Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dumping the girl due to external pressure is NOT a Bernadotte trait, and since Madeline is still left as spare (due to the change in the law of succession in 1980) the Prince Bertil option is less likely.
__________________
  #1085  
Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lafayette, United States
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Dumping the girl due to external pressure is NOT a Bernadotte trait, and since Madeline is still left as spare (due to the change in the law of succession in 1980) the Prince Bertil option is less likely.
I agree, janb. It seems much less likely that a Bertil-Lilian situation would exist again.

One thing I find really interesting is the amount of discussion that has been raised regarding this relationship. Ten years with Emma and hardly anything...now this has become EPIC, LOL!
__________________
  #1086  
Old 01-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Iva's Avatar
Iva Iva is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: -, Slovakia
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
And why should he care? It's his and Sofia's love-life and no-one else's business. Also, he isn't the heir to the throne anymore and therefor it's even less important what anyone else thinks about his girlfriend.

Honestly, us digging into his love-life is just the same as him digging into the love-life of any employee of the palace. Or did he mention he doesn't like the wife of the butler oder the girlfriend of the gardener? I haven't heard anything like that. So if he let's them (and us) love who we want we should leave the decision about his love-life to him too.
No, he's not a heir to the throne, but he's still the spare. If, God forbid, Victoria is unable to have children he'll stay the spare, meaning one day he might be the King and Sofia may be the Queen Consort. They can then publish her naked photos before every official visit they make as an advertisment.

I agree with you about us digging into his love life, but he's not in position of a butler or garden, even if maybe he would like to be when he's reading the press. As a member of SRF he is living from the money of swedish taxpayers so I think it's only natural that people are digging into his love life and judging who he loves. In the end, when they marry and unless he gives up his succesion rights and becomes an ordinary citizen, she'll be living from their money too and represent them abroad.
__________________
  #1087  
Old 01-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Sternchen's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: xxx, Germany
Posts: 1,282
Everyone working for the government or the SRF are living from the money of the swedish taxpayer, too.
__________________
Soccer is a game for 22 people that run around, play the ball, and one referee who makes a slew of mistakes, and in the end Germany always wins.
Gary Lineker
  #1088  
Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 PM
KitKat2006's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oldenburg, Germany
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
..., but rarely do situations such as this one end well.
Such as this? What do you mean with 'this'? Could you explain it in more detail, because I really don't what you mean with that specifically. How is this relationship doomed to end bad in comparison to others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I wonder - if faced with the possibility of becoming simply "Carl-Philip Bernadotte" with no title or style because of an unapproved marriage, what would he choose to do? Or for that matter, what would she?
Well, that's completely up to him, isn't it? Prince Friso doesn't seem to regret his choice and neither does Princess Märtha Louise. At least she doesn't seem unhappy to me. And to be completely honest, if I were in Sofias shoes I would be happy about having way more freedom and space if CP does a Friso/Märtha Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
No, he's not a heir to the throne, but he's still the spare. If, God forbid, Victoria is unable to have children he'll stay the spare, meaning one day he might be the King and Sofia may be the Queen Consort. They can then publish her naked photos before every official visit they make as an advertisment.
Like I said before, this problem can be solved with a bit cash (for buying the copyrights). So, not a big problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
I agree with you about us digging into his love life, but he's not in position of a butler or garden, even if maybe he would like to be when he's reading the press. As a member of SRF he is living from the money of swedish taxpayers so I think it's only natural that people are digging into his love life and judging who he loves. In the end, when they marry and unless he gives up his succesion rights and becomes an ordinary citizen, she'll be living from their money too and represent them abroad.
And that's where you have it completely wrong. Only the King and CP Victoria live officially from tax payers money. The others are living from what those two give them of THEIR taxpayers money. So CP and Madeleine don't do anything differently from what millions of children with wealthy parents do. They live their life on daddy's money and that's nothing we have to stick our noses in, because it is in a way only a family problem. If it is even that, because the king may be perfectly okay with the fact that he's financing the lifestyle of his younger children and wife and with that throwing away his hard earned money. It's the money the king get's from his millions of employers and he's completely free to do with it what he wants as long as he does his job. And as far as I can see it, he is doing the job he's "hired" for.

And honestly, who says CP doesn't make his own money? With his photos, his designs, his race driving, his military time, his farm? I'm sure he doesn't need daddy's money and only uses it if he's on official duty. And then it's perfectly okay.


And where Sofia as a possible Princess is concerned I recommend you to read the early posts of CP Frederik's new girlfriend Mary Donaldson in the DRF Forum. There she is labeled as a "cold and calculated woman" who "will make Frederik unhappy in the long run". A woman who's to much of a "career woman to ever be a warm, loving wife and mother". Everyone was hoping and praying for "Frederik to get back to his senses". And now have a close look at reality. They're happily married, have four cute and healthy children and the "cold and calculated woman" is everybody's darling now. So, who the hell are we to judge Sofia now? Who says she can't be just what Mary is in Denmark right now? Keep my words in mind, because I'm more and more sure CP and Sofia are in for the long run too.
__________________
  #1089  
Old 01-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lafayette, United States
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
Everyone working for the government or the SRF are living from the money of the swedish taxpayer, too.
Excellent point, Sternchen. The only difference is that they are performing a job/service on a day-to-day basis to earn their income. As pointed out in KitKat2006's post, Silvia, Madeleine, and Carl-Philip receive their income from the state only through the allowance of the king. There is not money specifically allocated to them as individuals.
__________________
  #1090  
Old 01-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
Judging from the reactions they are saying it, but it's not like CP cares.
What reaction, what've they said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
And where Sofia as a possible Princess is concerned I recommend you to read the early posts of CP Frederik's new girlfriend Mary Donaldson in the DRF Forum. There she is labeled as a "cold and calculated woman" who "will make Frederik unhappy in the long run". A woman who's to much of a "career woman to ever be a warm, loving wife and mother". Everyone was hoping and praying for "Frederik to get back to his senses". And now have a close look at reality. They're happily married, have four cute and healthy children and the "cold and calculated woman" is everybody's darling now. So, who the hell are we to judge Sofia now? Who says she can't be just what Mary is in Denmark right now? Keep my words in mind, because I'm more and more sure CP and Sofia are in for the long run too.
WelcomeBack KitKat.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #1091  
Old 01-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Iva's Avatar
Iva Iva is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: -, Slovakia
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
And that's where you have it completely wrong. Only the King and CP Victoria live officially from tax payers money. The others are living from what those two give them of THEIR taxpayers money.
Umm and what's the difference? It's still the same money paid by swedish tax payers. That they give it "officially" to two people does not change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
So CP and Madeleine don't do anything differently from what millions of children with wealthy parents do. They live their life on daddy's money and that's nothing we have to stick our noses in, because it is in a way only a family problem.
Yes, but millions of children don't have a King as their daddy and a whole nation as his employer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
And honestly, who says CP doesn't make his own money? With his photos, his designs, his race driving, his military time, his farm? I'm sure he doesn't need daddy's money and only uses it if he's on official duty. And then it's perfectly okay.
Lately he spends most of the time with his studies, when I was in university they did not paid us for that. Yes, he for sure makes some money with his leasure time activities, but I don't think that being an avarage competitor in a local Porsche Carrera Cup and occasionally making designs earns you enough to lead a luxury life he's leading. I'd love to be mistaken though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
And where Sofia as a possible Princess is concerned I recommend you to read the early posts of CP Frederik's new girlfriend Mary Donaldson in the DRF Forum. There she is labeled as a "cold and calculated woman" who "will make Frederik unhappy in the long run". A woman who's to much of a "career woman to ever be a warm, loving wife and mother". Everyone was hoping and praying for "Frederik to get back to his senses". And now have a close look at reality. They're happily married, have four cute and healthy children and the "cold and calculated woman" is everybody's darling now. So, who the hell are we to judge Sofia now? Who says she can't be just what Mary is in Denmark right now? Keep my words in mind, because I'm more and more sure CP and Sofia are in for the long run too.
Yes, they have 4 cute children. The rest is a matter of point of view and what one calls reality. But good luck to all 4 (F, M, CP & S) of them and may they be happy forever as they are now.
__________________
  #1092  
Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM
CrownPrincess5's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, California, United States
Posts: 2,545
This thread is really a battle....some people are obviously for Sofia and others are against the relationship. If someone doesn't agree with you there's no reason to knock what they're saying...after all this is a community to express your thoughts on the royals...at least I thought it was

We can act like Sophia never took those pictures, but she did! We can act like CP's actions have no consequences on the monarchy but it does!! Like the saying "one bad apple spoils the bunch", so one wrong move or a bad decision can destroy the monarchy. CP knows this, he knows he's playing with fire, but he doesn't care at the moment. He's being rebellious. I read a post somebody compared Sofia to Mary...um I've never seen Mary's breasts. Sofia and Mary have two very different roads and two very different pasts. That just doesn't strike me as a good comparison.

Yes CP makes his own money somewhat, but he is still living off taxpayers money and daddy's money is indeed taxpayers money. So I'm all for taxpayers having their say on the matter.

I'm all for modernizing the monarchy, but I just hope they'll be careful not to modernize it too much, cause then what's the point in having royals?
__________________
I don't dream at night, I dream all day. I dream for a living.
-Steven Spielberg
  #1093  
Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 PM
KitKat2006's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oldenburg, Germany
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
Umm and what's the difference? It's still the same money paid by swedish tax payers. That they give it "officially" to two people does not change that.
That actually changes a lot, because weather or not CP takes or refuses the money he lives on now, it will still be paid to his father who then spends it otherwise. The tax payers wouldn't have to pay less for the royal family just because CP choose to refuse his share of tax money like it would have been if he would get the money directly payed to him. So yes, there is a very big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
Yes, but millions of children don't have a King as their daddy and a whole nation as his employer.
And that's why we normal people should cut them some slack. Because sometimes it's not even possible to be on the good side of ONE employer. So there is no chance in hell to ever satisfy millions of employers. And the king in this case is nothing more than what's Daddy Hilton to darling daughter Paris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
Lately he spends most of the time with his studies, when I was in university they did not paid us for that. Yes, he for sure makes some money with his leasure time activities, but I don't think that being an avarage competitor in a local Porsche Carrera Cup and occasionally making designs earns you enough to lead a luxury life he's leading. I'd love to be mistaken though.
How do you know that? How do you know what he does besides his studies? When the other students work for McDonalds or IKEA in their spare time he could very well do some photographes for some magazines or design a china set for a local firm. After all he is a very private person in comparison to his sisters. I do not say he definitely does all that, but no-one can honestly say he doesn't do it either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I read a post somebody compared Sofia to Mary...um I've never seen Mary's breasts. Sofia and Mary have two very different roads and two very different pasts. That just doesn't strike me as a good comparison.
I brought Mary up, but I wasn't comparing her to Sofia. I just said that the first comments on Mary were just as negative as the comments about Sofia now. That's not a personal comparison but a comparison of the comments made. I'm very aware that there is a huge difference between those two woman comparing their lifestyles but that doesn't change the first very negative comments on Mary years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I'm all for modernizing the monarchy, but I just hope they'll be careful not to modernize it too much, cause then what's the point in having royals?
Good question. What is the point in having royalty these days? It's for representing the country. Every country has representatives. Even those without royalty. But do you honestly think those countries are better of? I don't think so. I live in a republic and would wish for a royal house. because then we would know what we're in for in the long run and have a better identification with our representatives. Oftentimes my countrymen don't even know who our official representativ (our president) is. That wouldn't happen with a royal family, regardless who they're dating. We pay taxes for someone who we oftentimes not really recognize as our representativ. So in my eyes all tax payers of monarchies are far better of. They at least know who they pay for and had a chance to get some kind of bonding to their countries representativ.
__________________
  #1094  
Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Torresita's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 22
Royals aren't called royals for nothing. They should stay like that even number (majority?) of people think that they are too much distant from them. Being closer to "normal" people doesn't mean being this much rebellious when people's opinion on monarchy can get changed to worse and as said before it can ruin monarchy and date Sofia.

I have nothing against her in person. She is a beautiful young woman. She has done the pictures, okay, we cannot change it. But Carl Phillip should at least "act" that he cares about monarchy and what happens with it when chosing a woman.

Comparing Sofia to Mary is, as has been said before, not in place..
__________________
  #1095  
Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lafayette, United States
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Well, that's completely up to him, isn't it? Prince Friso doesn't seem to regret his choice and neither does Princess Märtha Louise. At least she doesn't seem unhappy to me. And to be completely honest, if I were in Sofias shoes I would be happy about having way more freedom and space if CP does a Friso/Märtha Louise.


I don't know if Friso seems happy (he always seems a little grumpy or annoyed to me), but I agree with you that it is CP's choice what path he would choose to take. It isn't necessarily up to him though, because parliament could grant their permission with no conditions, they could reject the request to marry outright, they could approve the marriage with conditions, etc. Also the king could reject the request, approve it outright, strip CP of his titles, grant him others, etc. Those things are not up to CP. His only choice is to marry or not and to make that decision based on the consequences it brings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Like I said before, this problem can be solved with a bit cash (for buying the copyrights). So, not a big problem at all.


I don't want to speak for Iva, but I don't believe she seriously thought the nude pictures of Sofia would actually be posted before state visits, although currently they could as they are still being published. I believe she used an example of the absurd/unthinkable to highlight the bigger issue which is the fact that the photographs exist in the first place. If I had made this statement, I think the point I would be trying to make is that the copyright can be bought, the pictures can be removed from future publications, but that is only pro-active, not retro-active. The photographs would still exist in the original publications, on search menus on the internet (even if you could not open them), and in people's individual memory.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Such as this? What do you mean with 'this'? Could you explain it in more detail, because I really don't what you mean with that specifically. How is this relationship doomed to end bad in comparison to others?


This is a lot, but you asked for more detail :

If you've read any of my previous posts in this thread, you know I am not a fan of the choices Sofia has made in addition to much of her behavior. My belief about this relationship is that Sofia typifies the "gold-digger" - someone from more modest circumstances pursues someone from much more comfortable circumstances...usually portraying themselves in a certain way to gain the affections of the wealthier party and when it becomes too difficult to keep up the charade of their insincere "love" for that person, they hit the road with a nice settlement/alimony/house/clothes/jewels/etc. These claims could all be made of the other crown princely couples but as a point of contrast:

Mette-Marit - perhaps the most "scandalous" of the current crop of crown princesses - single mother, used drugs, etc. But also seems to be the one most genuinely in love with her prince. She never pursued notoriety or the limelight.

Maxima - came from a wealthy, affluent background but had established a career. By all accounts, very intelligent, approachable and down-to-earth. Maybe she did pursue WA because he is a prince, but he seems much happier to me than he appeared to be when he was single.

Letizia - had some baggage as well with the previous marriage, and if JC and Sofia had not made what IMHO is miscarriage of justice by making Felipe end the relationship with Isabel Sartorius, Letizia would probably never have been in the picture. But she is. Looking at her life prior, she was educated and had established a career for herself. She doesn't seem that happy to me now, especially in the last year when she is looking WAY too thin and kind of haggard, but we don't have a way of knowing otherwise. She also doesn't seem to be head over heels in love with Felipe, but that could also be because of her professional training and experience with the media.

Mathilde - noble birth, impeccable behavior, and for someone who married a much older man (isn't Philippe 11 years older than her?), she seems happy, content, and fulfilled...and she sure has been producing heirs. Whether or not people here or anywhere else like them as individuals, Philippe and Mathilde to me are the snooty people's Haakon and Mette-Marit. They seem genuinely in love, just not as much fun as the Norwegian couple.

Since you introduced Mary into this thread, I'll address your statements on her below. As far as a comparison with these women, the most damaging/haunting things from their past is a son (Marius), a self-confessed experimentation with drugs, a civil marriage license and divorce decree, and a father's involvement in an oppressive military regime. Certainly not spotless, but IMHO those things are minor compared to Sofia. While I agree that there is no ideal candidate for a princess, there still exists at least a sliding scale of appropriate to inappropriate. The fact that Mette-Marit might have been closer to the latter and now seems to have re-invented herself doesn't mean that Sofia could or would or that anyone should overlook Sofia's very recent past. Assuming Mette-Marit was the most inappropriate choice out of the current crown princesses, at least there are not AFAIK photographs of her topless, and dozens of photographs of her in a bikini posing suggestively with her legs spread. And none of these women stated that they wanted to be famous, wanted to be a model/actress, none of them participated in a reality program that centers on flaunting sexuality.

As to the relationship between CP & Sofia, I don't know if it is "doomed", I merely stated that more often than not a relationship with these two types of personalities historically tends to fail. My question after learning more about Sofia was this: why would someone who is so intent on being famous hooking up with a guy who doesn't want to be famous?


Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
And where Sofia as a possible Princess is concerned I recommend you to read the early posts of CP Frederik's new girlfriend Mary Donaldson in the DRF Forum. There she is labeled as a "cold and calculated woman" who "will make Frederik unhappy in the long run". A woman who's to much of a "career woman to ever be a warm, loving wife and mother". Everyone was hoping and praying for "Frederik to get back to his senses". And now have a close look at reality. They're happily married, have four cute and healthy children and the "cold and calculated woman" is everybody's darling now. So, who the hell are we to judge Sofia now? Who says she can't be just what Mary is in Denmark right now? Keep my words in mind, because I'm more and more sure CP and Sofia are in for the long run too.
Initially I was going respond to these statements and contrast them with the other individuals as well, but I took the time to look back at the threads mentioned that had criticisms of Mary. As I find the expression of an opinion of Mary to be a loaded invitation to those who gush over every time she blinks/steps/breathes to have to respond with countless posts as to why that opinion/poster are wrong, I won't be presenting my assessments of her here - good and bad.

In looking back at those threads, however, I found something very interesting. Many people presented opinions there, some not very flattering, some including both good and bad comments...and for the most part, posters either respected one another's opinions or, even when disagreeing, didn't take those disagreements personally. I am left wondering when it was that the army of Maryphiles began attacking in force anyone who said anything unflattering about her. Look back for yourself at those threads and then read any of the current ones. There is a COMPLETE difference in the tone of the posts. Maybe the really nasty posts about Mary in the current threads are a result of some of her fans being overly aggressive in their defense of her. I don't know, but if someone cannot quote or refer to unflattering comments about Mary in older threads as a means to show how she has improved or developed by complimenting her without someone feeling it necessary to "defend" her and list all the redeeming qualities they see in her (whether it is their own perception or if she actually has those qualities), perhaps all discussions of Mary need to be removed from this forum.
__________________
  #1096  
Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Iva's Avatar
Iva Iva is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: -, Slovakia
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
That actually changes a lot, because weather or not CP takes or refuses the money he lives on now, it will still be paid to his father who then spends it otherwise. The tax payers wouldn't have to pay less for the royal family just because CP choose to refuse his share of tax money like it would have been if he would get the money directly payed to him. So yes, there is a very big difference.
Did he already refused his share? Or has been taken down from Daddy's pay list? This is hypotetical and I'm sure that "if" he decides to do so, Swedish parliament will notice, decrease the yearly appanage for King and reallocate the money for other important issues.
But I think we've come a bit too far away from the original point, he still is on the paylist and he still lives from taxpayers money to larger or smaller extend. He is still also 2nd in line to the throne, therefore a possible future King of Sweden and people may question who he dates/lives with/intends to marry, since the person may in the future represent them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
How do you know that? How do you know what he does besides his studies? When the other students work for McDonalds or IKEA in their spare time he could very well do some photographes for some magazines or design a china set for a local firm.
If he does so, good for him. If it pays for his lifestyle, even better. It is just my personal feeling that it isn't so. His name is a good advertisment for anything he may offer, so I think that if he would make photos for some magazine or design for a local firm, we'd hear about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Good question. What is the point in having royalty these days? It's for representing the country. Every country has representatives. Even those without royalty. But do you honestly think those countries are better of? I don't think so. I live in a republic and would wish for a royal house. because then we would know what we're in for in the long run and have a better identification with our representatives. Oftentimes my countrymen don't even know who our official representativ (our president) is. That wouldn't happen with a royal family, regardless who they're dating. We pay taxes for someone who we oftentimes not really recognize as our representativ. So in my eyes all tax payers of monarchies are far better of. They at least know who they pay for and had a chance to get some kind of bonding to their countries representativ.
Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I don't want to speak for Iva, but I don't believe she seriously thought the nude pictures of Sofia would actually be posted before state visits, although currently they could as they are still being published. I believe she used an example of the absurd/unthinkable to highlight the bigger issue which is the fact that the photographs exist in the first place. If I had made this statement, I think the point I would be trying to make is that the copyright can be bought, the pictures can be removed from future publications, but that is only pro-active, not retro-active. The photographs would still exist in the original publications, on search menus on the internet (even if you could not open them), and in people's individual memory.
Yes, that's what I ment. Even if they buy the copyright, they were already published, there may be people who have saved them to computer etc. Buying copyright does not solve everything.
__________________
  #1097  
Old 01-15-2011, 08:58 PM
KitKat2006's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oldenburg, Germany
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I don't want to speak for Iva, but I don't believe she seriously thought the nude pictures of Sofia would actually be posted before state visits, although currently they could as they are still being published. I believe she used an example of the absurd/unthinkable to highlight the bigger issue which is the fact that the photographs exist in the first place. If I had made this statement, I think the point I would be trying to make is that the copyright can be bought, the pictures can be removed from future publications, but that is only pro-active, not retro-active. The photographs would still exist in the original publications, on search menus on the internet (even if you could not open them), and in people's individual memory.
I didn't think she was serious too. But I do think that this is a problem that could be solved. At least regarding those pictures that show her completely nude. I don't really have a problem with those were she poses in underwear or bikini. That's her job. So what? We've seen Emma, Madeleine and Victoria in bikinis too. I agree those may have been just paparazzi pictures and not professional ones but that just shows that bikini pictures are not criminal or vulgar. They're just a statement of our lifestyle. and honestly, most of Sofias bikini pics or underwear pics are every much okay. You can see much more skin than it was the case with other princesses before they were princesses, but again: So what? It's her job and she shouldn't be ashamed about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
This is a lot, but you asked for more detail
That I did and I write a big THANK YOU for that, because now I have clearer view of what you meant. And even though I can see your point I'm not completely sure I can agree on everything. But that should be okay, because everyone should be allowed his or her own opinion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
As to the relationship between CP & Sofia, I don't know if it is "doomed", I merely stated that more often than not a relationship with these two types of personalities historically tends to fail. My question after learning more about Sofia was this: why would someone who is so intent on being famous hooking up with a guy who doesn't want to be famous?
I can see what you mean, but I'm sure you have heard of the expression "Opposites attract". This relationship would be a perfect example for this expression, wouldn't you think? As for your question I've just two words for an answer: True love?



And just for the record: I'm not someone who takes every word written here personal. I'm all up for a good discussion but I'm all against bashing someone (sadly that often happens here. May it be Sofia or user users).

That said, I stop on that matter now and keep concentrating on CP and Sofia again.
__________________
  #1098  
Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lafayette, United States
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
That said, I stop on that matter now and keep concentrating on CP and Sofia again.
Whole-heartedly agree with you there, KitKat2006!

Which brings me to something I have been wondering about for a while. There have been many times when someone has been involved with a famous person, royal or not, and their friends or relatives have spoken to the media...this has happened many times with royalty. Has anyone seen or heard of interviews/statements made publicly from Sofia's family?
__________________
  #1099  
Old 01-16-2011, 07:20 AM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,853
This thread has been cleaned up, please keep to the topic of this thread - Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist's relationship. Comparisons to other Princesses are not necessary for this discussion, and futher comparisons will be removed.

The moderators would also like to remind all posters to treat their fellow posters with respect, and respect their opinions.

Thank you,
JessRulz
Swedish Forum Moderator
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #1100  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,086
As a Swede I have a feeling that if Victoria was to die without an heir, it's possible that Sweden would become a republic, as I can't see neither Carl Philip (especially if married to Sofia) or Madeleine as material for a regent. With the exception of the marriage between Victoria and Daniel, much of the writings about the royal family have been negative the last year, and more people are thinking that a republic could be an alternative.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip, relationship, relationships


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 2: April 2012 - June 2014 Marengo Current Events Archive 2016 06-27-2014 11:18 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games ottoman pom president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]