Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 1: Jan. 2010 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a perfect world, everyone should be able to marry the person they love without any questions and/or problems. But guess what....this isn't a perfect world.

You guys talk about Carl Phillip as if he was a regular guy and not a Prince of Sweden. But guess what he is a Prince of Sweden and he can't just marry anyone. Anyone who marries into royalty shouldn't be average, because really if that is the case....what's the point. Time will tell if Sofia and Carl Phillip are going to go the distance and marry, and really if the King and the Swedish people don't have an issue than all this is for naught. But if they they do have an issue and they don't want as a Princess a girl who has posed nude a couple of times....well it will be very interesting to see if Carl Phillip is willing to give up the girl or his status as a member of the Swedish royal family. If they are trying to do a PR conversion on Sofia...it could be months or years (like 1 to 3) before they even talk about taking the next step. Or they can go the Martha Louise route....renounce the HRH, and become self supporting.

And there are nothing wrong with tattoos (as I have one myself) but that doesn't mean everyone should have one.

Last edited:
Exactly Karisma. That's what I meant and why I asked why Duke mentioned the tattoos.

And it's just interest, Duke. I don't mean my question as an attack.

Its very simple, I mentioned them because from what we can see, Silvia doesnt have tattoos. And I was comparing the looks of Sofia & Silvia. It would be something to distinguish Sofia from young Silvia, they look so much alike.

Its very simple, I mentioned them because from what we can see, Silvia doesnt have tattoos. And I was comparing the looks of Sofia & Silvia. It would be something to distinguish Sofia from young Silvia, they look so much alike.

Ah, okay. Now I understand. Thanks for answering.

Some people said here that they will get engaged when Victoria has a baby.Now that she's with child,do you think they will get engaged when he's no longer second in line?

Last edited:
Some people said here that they will get engaged when Victoria has a baby.Now that she's with child,do you think they will get engaged when he's no longer second in line?
Or maybe he will get engaged closer or after the birth of the baby.

I've wondered since yesterday if the pressure on these two will stay on the current level or if everyone will become more tolerant now that "scandalous, bad" Sofia becoming queen someday is not an option anymore. I really hope so for them.

I've wondered since yesterday if the pressure on these two will stay on the current level or if everyone will become more tolerant now that "scandalous, bad" Sofia becoming queen someday is not an option anymore. I really hope so for them.
From what I noticed on other boards, it's leaning towards the second option. Now that most likely it's secured that CP will move down the succession line, people tend to accept Sofia a bit more, not like her, but accept that she might be around either forever or for some time.

Personally, I still don't think she's a princess material and if they intend to marry some day, the situation should be solved the same way as the situation around Prince Friso of Netherlands and his wife was solved.

Agree!

Thank´s! I Agree with You!

OK, if this is true I have to admit that Chris had way more class and backbone that day than Sofia had. I can definitely understand that a girl doesn't want to meet the ex-girlfriend of her new boyfriend when they just came together. But after two whole years? That's pathetic. Real pathetic. It makes Sofia look like she's really unsure of her relationship and that's what you shouldn't be anymore after two years.

For Emma it must have been a real boost for her ego when she heard this. Even if she and Carl Philip are definitely over they have got a long past together. To know that she still scares the new girl in the life of his ex-boyfriend has to really make her day.

I dont believe its true, either. Would be very immature and Sofia doesnt look like a person who is too worried about a former girlfriend, who is past and has nothing to do with the current relationship (eg if Sofia was the reason why CP split from Emma what is not the case), rather the opposite, Sofia looks like a girl who would use the opportunity to outshine the former girlfriend.

Maybe Emma doesnt want to meet Sofia because both women are likely to be fire & water, Emma never was the "cheap" type, wanting to get famous first and foremost and if a good looking prince comes along, even better.

I respectfully disagree

I dont believe its true, either. Would be very immature and Sofia doesnt look like a person who is too worried about a former girlfriend, who is past and has nothing to do with the current relationship (eg if Sofia was the reason why CP split from Emma what is not the case), rather the opposite, Sofia looks like a girl who would use the opportunity to outshine the former girlfriend.

Maybe Emma doesnt want to meet Sofia because both women are likely to be fire & water, Emma never was the "cheap" type, wanting to get famous first and foremost and if a good looking prince comes along, even better.

Quite the contrary, IMO. Psychological studies show that many people who "flaunt" themselves are actually more self-conscious and insecure than the normal average person. It is akin to baiting for attention and compliments and can be a sign of diminished self-worth. In addition, even without her past indiscretions, Sofia has a very lightweight cv in comparison to Emma. That alone could be intimidating.

I don't believe Emma is a better or worse person than Sofia, but she has certainly made more responsible choices in her life, without even considering respectable ones. But while Sofia may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer (which may actually make her a better match for CP), she is certainly not a complete idiot and has to be aware of the overwhelming discussion of her unsuitability, even if the Swedish media do not cover that. The inevitable media comparison between the well-liked, approved of, better cv, outwardly more acceptable girlfriend with the uneducated, morally questionable, trashy photo model new girlfriend would only stir up more coverage and rehash all of her supposed shortcomings.

IMO if this is why Sofia didn't go to this event, it may very well be the smartest thing she has done thus far.

Carl Philip has denied the information given about why he and Sofia didn´t attend the wedding. The informationschef of the court Bertil Ternert told to SvenskDam:
- Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist were invited to the wedding. They told the couple a few weeks before that, unfortunately, they can´t attend. It had nothing to do with that Sofia did not want to meet Emma Pernald, prince´s former girlfriend. The reason was different.
And there is no rift between Sofia and Emma, according to Ternert.
- They have a good relationship.

Carl Philip dementerar att det är en fnurra på tråden | Svensk Damtidning
Translation

LadyFinn said:
Carl Philip has denied the information given about why he and Sofia didn´t attend the wedding. The informationschef of the court Bertil Ternert told to SvenskDam:
- Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist were invited to the wedding. They told the couple a few weeks before that, unfortunately, they can´t attend. It had nothing to do with that Sofia did not want to meet Emma Pernald, prince´s former girlfriend. The reason was different.

Carl Philip dementerar att det är en fnurra på tråden | Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Oh yeah like I'm going to believe that! What could possibly be so pressing that they had to miss the wedding. It's not like they were meeting the pope! It had everything to do with Sofia feeling insecure and the fact that Emma was present.

In light of this information I have to agree with KitKat:

KitKat2006 said:
OK, if this is true I have to admit that Chris had way more class and backbone that day than Sofia had. I can definitely understand that a girl doesn't want to meet the ex-girlfriend of her new boyfriend when they just came together. But after two whole years? That's pathetic. Real pathetic. It makes Sofia look like she's really unsure of her relationship and that's what you shouldn't be anymore after two years.

For Emma it must have been a real boost for her ego when she heard this. Even if she and Carl Philip are definitely over they have got a long past together. To know that she still scares the new girl in the life of his ex-boyfriend has to really make her day.

This is pathetic.
I don't think it was just Emma that scared her away. I think she's embarrassed by the nude photos and I believe she would've went if she had some kind of friendship with Madeleine. Looking at those pics in Paris, it looked like Madeleine wanted nothing to do with her. That could be a hard pill to swallow. If Madeleine hasn't accepted her then her friends probably won't either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and link, LadyFinn. But yet again this is a truly ill-advised move by the Swedish Court's information office. It may function overall better than when Nina Eldh was at the helm, but so far I would say not by much.

Maybe I am just spoiled from the long tenure of Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, but I simply can't understand why they can't get a professional team of people with good (sometimes common sense) ideas and have them execute their media plan accordingly. It's become such a joke it's like reading the crap that comes out of Denmark or Monaco.

Last edited:
It had everything to do with Sofia feeling insecure and the fact that Emma was present.

Don't you think there's and "I think" or "IMO" missing in your sentence, CrownPrincess5? Or do you know her, Carl Philip or someone around them good enough to really know that Sofia may feel insecure? Because if you write it like this it seems like it. If not you're doing what is called defamation. And that's not a nice thing to do.

Oh yeah like I'm going to believe that! What could possibly be so pressing that they had to miss the wedding. It's not like they were meeting the pope!

You don't have to meet the pope to have a reason for not attending a wedding of a friend. There could be endless possibilities for them. It's them who know where their priorities lie and obviously on that day it wasn't this particular wedding.

Btw, I said IF this is true it would put Sofia in a bad light. But when the court makes an official statement on this, the press articles must have stirred enough trouble in the courts or Carl Philips eyes. Because otherwise they wouldn't have made this statement. It's absolutely possible that Carl Philip didn't want Sofia be defamed like this and asked the court to make an official statement. It could also be that the court decides this themself. For what reasons ever.

Thanks for the info and link, LadyFinn. But yet again this is a truly ill-advised move by the Swedish Court's information office. It may function overall better than when Nina Eldh was at the helm, but so far I would say not by much.

Maybe I am just spoiled from the long tenure of Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, but I simply can't understand why they can't get a professional team of people with good (sometimes common sense) ideas and have them execute their media plan accordingly. It's become such a joke it's like reading the crap that comes out of Denmark or Monaco.

Why is this statement ill-advised or unprofessional? I really can't see that. They gave a statement on something that concerns a member of the royal family in a way, has been widely discussed and is in their eyes not only wrong but defaming (otherwise they wouldn't feel like stating anything). What's really interesting is, that it is not a member of the royal family who got "help" here but "just" a girlfriend of an official member of the royal family. That shows that she is important enough for them and that could hint to something big maybe coming along in the future.

But honestly, I'm not sure what to think about this:

It could be, but it could also be just throwing sand in everyones eyes. I'm not sure if they would fight every time they meet (how often that will even be). I could see them both more like tolerating that the other one exists but not seeing why to waste time to fight with her. On the other hand, Emma and Carl Philip did split on a friendly basis. For Emma there are absolutely no bad reasons to not accept a new girl at Carl Philips side. So maybe this is actually true. Who knows.

Last edited:
Good lord, what is the SRFs idea of professional PR work? Now they even lower themselves to respond to some gossip about a meeting or not meeting and why of the girlfriend and the ex-girlfriend of CP. Whats next? Confirming what aftershave Chris O'Neill uses?

What a joke and waste of time taking such crap issues seriously.

Oh yeah like I'm going to believe that! What could possibly be so pressing that they had to miss the wedding. It's not like they were meeting the pope! It had everything to do with Sofia feeling insecure and the fact that Emma was present.

This is pathetic.
I don't think it was just Emma that scared her away. I think she's embarrassed by the nude photos and I believe she would've went if she had some kind of friendship with Madeleine. Looking at those pics in Paris, it looked like Madeleine wanted nothing to do with her. That could be a hard pill to swallow. If Madeleine hasn't accepted her then her friends probably won't either.

I agree CP5.
Perhaps, they had something important to do, but there's a very, very good chance that maybe Sofia thought she would feel awkward at that wedding, like the odd man out. I know women who were situations like this so I totally could understand something like that.

On the other hand, the royal court should never release a statement like that. They did not have to name drop by putting Emmas name in there. This is a disgrace.

What is wrong with the Royal Court? Do they realize commenting on gossip suggests that every aspect of the Royals' private lives is up for discussion?

I can´t understand why whe court and Ternert had to comment this? Sofia could have commented herself, if she wanted to stress out that her not going to the wedding didn´t have anything to do with the presence of Emma Pernald.
The times have changed - 6-7 years ago the court surely didn´t comment the life of Daniel Westling, Emma Pernald or Jonas Bergström...

Another PR fail on Terner's site. Where are the times when partners of the royal couples children were not commented on? As many like to stress out, Sofia & Chris are privat persons. Sofia could have commented on this issue herself if she felt the need. Gosh, I hope they get rid of Terner really soon, he does nothing good for them.

There is no way that the British Royal Court would comment on a private issue like this. I was very surprised when I read it, as it sort of confirms the situation and lays it open to even more discussion.

I think there used to be a saying that the BRF had - 'never complain, never explain'. It had its failings, but also had its advantages!

Is there a reason why you mentioned the tattoos? Because I can't see them on those two pictures. And also tattoos aren't a vulgar thing these days. So what reason do you have to mention them?

OK,this is an older post :previous: but I was reading through the thread...
I wanted to say something about tattoos on royals: Empress Elisabeth of Austria,Queen of Hungary was said to have a tattoo on her shoulder with the image of an anchor!But she was considered a "rebel" by the ppl of her time...I have only found German sources for this-http://www.sissi.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18433&sid=ec4bb4e779dadfd607781dd7f3ab3e5a
I understand Sofia is attracted to the Prince,I mean which girl wouldn´t run after him?:whistling:We have seen other "unsuitable" princesses before-Mette-Marit changed her whole life to live up to the expectations of her husband and the public and I think she did very well,she´s a real role model-she has made some mistakes but she has worked very very hard to overcome them and be a respectable woman and good wife:flowers: Just think about Stephanie from Monaco and her singing career...in fact both Monegasse princesses had lived to the fullest when they were young and now they are doing well! So let´s see what Sofia is up to...

Just think about Stephanie from Monaco and her singing career...in fact both Monegasse princesses had lived to the fullest when they were young and now they are doing well! So let´s see what Sofia is up to...

I'm no fan of Sofia's, but to suggest that she can "overcome" her past in the manner of the Monagasque princesses isn't much of a show of support. Caroline, IMO, would be a vastly different person if Stefano had not met an early and untimely death, but her expressions & demeanor at her brother's wedding don't indicate that everything is moonlight and roses in her world. Don't forget the now "second lady of the land" spread her legs for her supposed friend's husband, got pregnant, caused the official breakup of that marriage, married him herself, got to babysit his drunken, violent, boorish behavior for several years, then gets to live in this empty marriage while he perpetually cheats on her with younger women. Stephanie has a long string of failed marriages/relationships, children out of wedlock, usually looks lost/desperate/depressed, and thanks to too much sun (and perhaps some dabbling in chemicals IMO) looks twice her age. While they may sometimes be very nice people and while they may do very important charitable works, other than financially, they aren't "doing well" at all IMO.

In fact, these are exactly the types of women with whom I would expect Sofia to be enamored. Actually, tweeting about dating CP and funneling charity money into her personal bank account (unforgivable IMO) aside, since the relationship with CP started Sofia has behaved with more dignity than either of these two women. I don't know how you did it, blauerengel, but you actually have me defending Sofia....thanks...I think.;)

If things continue the way they are now, Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist will get married after Victoria and Daniel's baby is born. It might be true love or just sexual attaction and wish to shock from Carl Philip's part and and attraction to glamour and money from Sofia's part. Only time will tell. All we can do is wait and see.

I find it strange that of all the rumours the Royal Court could have responded to, this is the one they choose.

People have been talking for months about Princess Madeleine not liking Sofia and we don't hear any denials. One little blurb about CP & Sofia not going to a wedding and suddenly we're getting an official statement?

If things continue the way they are now, Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist will get married after Victoria and Daniel's baby is born. It might be true love or just sexual attaction and wish to shock from Carl Philip's part and and attraction to glamour and money from Sofia's part. Only time will tell. All we can do is wait and see.

What you have said could well be true. No engagment or marriage will occur before Victoria and Daniel's baby is born, because it will take the shine away from them. Who knows maybe Carl Philip and Sofia could get engaged in the late spring of next year and marry in the late summer or early autumn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom