Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 1: Jan. 2010 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These days people are settling down later Prince Carl Phillip may be well into his 30's when he settles down. Used to be by the time a man was about 30, he was expected to be married or going in that direction.

A man can have father children for decades. Women are more limited. The only drawback to having children when you are in your 40's or 50's is that unless long life is in your genes, you might miss out on seeing your grandchildren grow up. My grandmother was in her 20's when she had children. She lived to be 82 and lived to see grandchildren, two granddaughters marry and lived to see one of them have a child (her great-grand son). Had she waited until she was in her 40's to have children, she wouldn't have lived to have seen all this.

Västerbottens-Kuriren quotes Expressen:
Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist defy Queen Silvia's desires. Carl Philip now appears openly with Sofia, despite the fact that Silvia does not like it.
According to Expressen, the couple went to the movies together in central Stockholm last Tuesday.That´s not uncommon. But earlier, they entered the cinema alone and then sat down next to each other. This time they went both in and out of the cinema side by side.
Västerbottens-Kuriren - Trotsar drottningen

I'm happy for them. They don't hide their love anymore and that's great.

The couple has never really hid their relationship.

They should do what they want. It makes the Republican movement in Sweden happy.

They should do what they want. It makes the Republican movement in Sweden happy.

I usually consider myself a firm monarchist, but on the matter of CP and his new girlfriend I totally understand where the Republicans are coming from.

I mean...seriously...what is the POINT anymore?? :ermm:

Those who yesterday were in place in Jylland at the classic racetrack Jyllandsringen could not misinterpret the prince's message: The first time during a racing event was Sofia Hellqvist at his side instead of staying in the background. At previous competition, she has been involved as a spectator and was then smuggled out and into the engine depot to meet her prince. Yesterday Sofia was constantly at Carl Philip´s side. Several people who spoke to Expressen testified Carl Philip's willingness to show up with Sofia. But above all establish who she is. He presented Sofia to many people as his girlfriend.
Nu struntar prinsen i hemlighetsmakeriet - Extra - Expressen Extra
Google Translate

Carl Philip and Sofia at Jyllandsringen
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Everybody knows they're dating. It's a bit pointless showing up to the cinema at different times when you're going to sit together anyway.

Was it such a big deal when Victoria and Daniel started showing up in public together?

I usually consider myself a firm monarchist, but on the matter of CP and his new girlfriend I totally understand where the Republicans are coming from.

Agree. On the matter of CP and his girlfriend, I'm also happy that Sweden was the first country to apply equal primogeniture and the change was retroactive. :whistling:

Agree. On the matter of CP and his girlfriend, I'm also happy that Sweden was the first country to apply equal primogeniture and the change was retroactive. :whistling:

The horror scenario still remains in case V&D are unable to produce an heir(ess).

Could the nightmare scenario be sorted out if V&D adopted? Just wondering.

Nope. If V&D remain childless (adopting doesnt count), CP will have to take over or rather his offspring (if he has any) since he and his sister are more or less the same age group.

Well, I believe in case CP has stayed being the heir to the throne he probably would´ve been educated differently. It´s strange IMO that both CP and Madeleine behave in such a totally different way compared to Victoria. But it could´ve become worse: Victoria could´ve become a person like CP and Madeleine are now.

Nope. If V&D remain childless (adopting doesnt count), CP will have to take over or rather his offspring (if he has any) since he and his sister are more or less the same age group.
Ah I understand now. I just wasn't sure before. Thanks for explaining.:flowers:

The more odd, the better?

If you look at how relationships are linked within the royal families in some other countries, there seems to be so that the more strange relationships, the more the media writes that the current royal families "now are adjusted to the year 2011".

I personally believe that the Republican Club in Sweden will be defused on Carl Philip socializing with Sofia.

Every country needs someone who represents it. In some countries royals are doing the part, in other countries presidents are doing the part. The pro of having royals is that they are more known and more "this country" than presidents that come and go. The pro of having a president is that he can be get rid of better if he steps over the line to much / to often (at least they should be. If you look at Egypt, Lybia, Tunis it's not that easy either). What's absolutely equal is that both the reigning royal and the reigning president gets payed by the taxpayers. So there would be absolutely no difference in that department when some country decides to get rid of their royals.

And royals or not there's always a possibility that a country get's a representant who's even lesser perfect than others. No offence but I wouldn't want to have the Sarkozy-Bruni-Duo representing my country. Or George Bush jr.. Or Bill Clinton (when the Monica-incident went public). Or (heaven forbid) someone like Mubarak or Gaddafi or Saddam Hussein. :eek: Or (just pointing out my own countries blackest time in history) Hitler. :eek::eek: I would give anything if Germanys last imperial family would still reign today, because than the whole worlds history would have been very, very different.

So my question is completely the other way around:

What's the point of NOT having royalty?

And my second question is:

Are you (or anyone else who's always blaming CP for Sofia) sure Sweden would really be better of without royalty? How big is the chance of getting out of the frying pan into the fire with a president (and his family) instead of a royal family? :whistling:

And I don't care if I repeat myself here once more. I do it anyway. No-one can be blamed for their past. What happened happened. Case closed. What matters is the present. And in the present Sofia is just an attractive young woman who does charity and makes a man happy who's making her happy in return. Honestly, what's wrong with that? I still don't get it. She never once stepped over the line since she got involved with CP. If she would have I would see her completely different. But she didn't. So why not giving her, CP and them as a couple a chance? Because honestly, this time last year we all have seen that a perfect choice can be anything but perfect and end up in a scandalizing broken engagement whereas the not so perfect choice is now happily married and accepted by almost everyone. ;) Does anyone ever think of that? :whistling:

Last edited:
The current president and his wife are really nice and decent people. They represent Sweden in a much better way then CP and his nude model. :cool:

But will it be the same with the next one? What happens if the next presidents son turns out to be a teenage drug dealer? Or the daughter has a habbit of topless dancing on university partys? In that case Sweden has the same "problems" that it has now. So it doesn't matter that there is a prince now who's in love with a FORMER nude model.

Personally I think Sweden is better of now than in a hypotetically republic. Because now everyone knows what's in store for many years to come whereas the other way around it's russian roulette every few years.

Okay, then Sweden should have a future princess, whose body is now well known. I fully support this two.
smiley_two_thumbs_up.gif

At least they don´t pretend to be devout. ;)

:ROFLMAO:

And well, what's one more hypotetically princess who's body is well known. Because honestly, almost every princess nowadays has been photograped in a bikini by papparazi when they're on holidays. ;)

Well, I believe in case CP has stayed being the heir to the throne he probably would´ve been educated differently. It´s strange IMO that both CP and Madeleine behave in such a totally different way compared to Victoria. But it could´ve become worse: Victoria could´ve become a person like CP and Madeleine are now.

It is strange indeed...and I think the fault lies squarely with the King and Queen.

Madeleine and CP appear spoiled beyond belief.:bang:

I personally think the king and queen were too relaxed with CP and Madeleine...whereas they were more disciplining with Victoria. Carl is rebelling, Madeleine doesn't want to come home. One had a broken engagement, the other is dating a nude model. They are spoiled. I would be ashamed if I were their parents. I know CP and Madde are grown, but the king has got to put his foot down.

What if Victoria and Daniel can't have kids! God forbid!! That would be a nightmare.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't in your mind to blame Madeleine for her broken engagement, because it very well sounded like it. And that Victoria had a more disciplined upbringing than Carl Philip and Madeleine makes sense. SHE will be the future queen whereas her siblings will only be her sidekicks. They will be pushed further from the spotlight the older they get. You can see it with Joachim in Denmark, Märtha Louise in Norway, Johan Friso and Constantin in the Netherlands and it will happen in Sweden as soon as Victoria and Daniel produce little royals. And they will, believe me. I don't know why anyone is always bringing up a childless CPcouple when Sofia enters the picture. There is absolutely no evidence that Victoria and Daniel will remain childless and Sofia ever gets to be queen of Sweden. So why all the panik? Just leave them be and wait patiently for the baby-news.

KitKat2006 said:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't in your mind to blame Madeleine for her broken engagement, because it very well sounded like it. And that Victoria had a more disciplined upbringing than Carl Philip and Madeleine makes sense. SHE will be the future queen whereas her siblings will only be her sidekicks. They will be pushed further from the spotlight the older they get. You can see it with Joachim in Denmark, Märtha Louise in Norway, Johan Friso and Constantin in the Netherlands and it will happen in Sweden as soon as Victoria and Daniel produce little royals. And they will, believe me. I don't know why anyone is always bringing up a childless CPcouple when Sofia enters the picture. There is absolutely no evidence that Victoria and Daniel will remain childless and Sofia ever gets to be queen of Sweden. So why all the panik? Just leave them be and wait patiently for the baby-news.

I didn't say anything about evidence or facts. I'm not blaming her for a broken engagement but it happened nonetheless. I'm not panicking...I'm not saying they won't have kids, I'm just saying I feel sorry for Sweden if by chance V&D can't have kids. Hey it could happen.

No it doesn't make sense to discipline Victoria more because she's the heir. All of the kids should be treated the same (when it comes to discipline) CP and Madeleine are still in line for the throne and they should be disciplined accordingly. Of course Victoria will have more work and training but the disciplining should be the same.

People are bringing up the childless matter when Sofia entered the picture because that would mean Carl would be a potential king and that's a scary thing right now considering he's not setting the best example. Right now Carl Philip possibly being king is a scary thing to behold!

The King is our head of state

Prime minister then :chef:
All democracies have a head of government, Prime Minister, also Sweden. But he is not the head of state. The King is our head of state and not likely to change by Carl Philip's relations with Sofia. Would it not be needed more than that monarchy had long since been dead in Denmark, Britain and Norway among others.
1st As long as there is a majority of Swedes who prefer monarchy over republic dare none of the parliamentary parties raise the issue seriously.
2nd So long as no relation published by the court, there is not. It can be difficult to understand for many people living in other countries, but is formally the case in Sweden.
3rd Would Carl Philip and Sophia marry we do not know if Carl Philip to retain his title. He could, perhaps as it was with the king's sister, taken from the title of "royal highness" but keep the title Prince. And no one knows about Sofia even get a title? Possibly maybe Duchess of Värmland, because it is Prince's duchy.

Everything is just speculation and I think they are unnecessary until something more is published by the Royal Court Administration.

Last edited:
CrownPrincess5 said:
I personally think the king and queen were too relaxed with CP and Madeleine...whereas they were more disciplining with Victoria. Carl is rebelling, Madeleine doesn't want to come home. One had a broken engagement, the other is dating a nude model. They are spoiled. I would be ashamed if I were their parents. I know CP and Madde are grown, but the king has got to put his foot down.

What if Victoria and Daniel can't have kids! God forbid!! That would be a nightmare.

The King and Queen said in an interview I think it was episode on Victoria in the series The Bernadottes (I think there's a German version floating around on YouTube-sadly they never dub these things in English) that they tried to treat their children the same in terms of discipline (or maybe tried to?). They said that upbringing and education are different things. Maybe Victoria was more aware of her position growing up from the way she was treated at school etc or naturally has a different personality. I don't think we should blame the King and Queen completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom