Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 1: Jan. 2010 - April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to Sweden, neither the parliament, nor the government have any say in whom a member of the royal family marries, the only person who have to accept a royal spouse is the monarch, and then s/he informes the government about the upcoming marriage. The parliament and/or the government can be against a marriage but they have no way to stop it (well, with the exception to decide to abolish the whole monarchy, of course.)

Sorry that's wrong. According to the succession law Article 5 (see here) a Prince/Princess of the Royal House may not marry until the Government has given it's Consent upon Application from the King. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Should a Prince/Princess marry without such consent, he/she forgfeights the right of succession for himself, his children and their descendants.[/FONT]

There is much media coverage when it comes to the royal family, but you have to differentiate between what is coverage of their personal/private life and what is coverage of their public engagements. Most of what is written in the papers about Carl Philip is about his private life (for example his relationship with Sofia H. and his attempts at car racing) and there is not much about his official duties. He has four official engagements from now to mid-April, one of them together with his parents', the upcoming state visit from Estonia.
I agree that one should diferentiate his private and public life. But as you said there is nearly no coverage of his official duties in media and that together with all the coverage of his private life may result in him being viewed in negative light. If one does not follow it closely it may seem that he does absolutely nothing, spends time with racing and his questionable girlfriend.

I haven't been on here in awhile - so CP is STILL seeing that trash Sofia, huh? Well, at the rate the monarchy is going (CP dating trash, Madeline spending her time in the US instead of her own country), I would not be surprised if the monarchy was abolished within this decade. What's the point if they have nothing to offer?

I believe he will marry Sofia as soon as Victoria´s first baby has been born.

So are most people here thinking that Prince Carl Philip will marry before Princess Madeleine?

So are most people here thinking that Prince Carl Philip will marry before Princess Madeleine?
No,I think Madeleine will be the first to get married.Prince Carl-Phillip won't announce any engagement until Victoria announces her pregnancy,I guess.Otherwise,his role is more important than Madeleine's

Depends on a lot of different things of whether who will get married first. The way things currently are, it's more likely that Prince Carl Phillip will marry before Madeleine. In a couple of years, it will be interesting to see if I'm right. Haven't heard much news lately about Prince Carl Phillip and Sofia Hellqvist lately.

Both relationships are relatively 'young' compared to how long they both dated Emma and Jonas. I think it will be at least a couple of years before either Carl Philip or Madeleine marry.

Are you sure? They are getting older not younger. (Madeleine - late twenties, Carl-Phillip - early thirties) - already in that age they would probably want to have children. From they earlier experience they both know that a long "loose" relationship doesn't need to end in marriage.
Of course they and their current partners need to give themselves time to get to know each other, to make sure if this concrete person is the only one, but...without exaggeration.

Last edited:
:previous: I think, you are right, Biri. They won´t wait as long as it was with their previous relationships.
But: they also know, they also need to "deeply test" their potential partner, as they will move into the royal limelight. Especially Madeleine cannot afford being engaged again and then potentially announcing another split.
So I hope, they will check out the acceptability of the future partner carefully (I really, really hope so, Carl Philipp), wait for a pregnancy announcement/child of CP Victoria and then :whistling:....

BYe Bine

i still think she is preparing her role for princess one day...otherwise why is she doing the charity work...especially around the same time she started to date the prince...

Princesses do a lot of charity work, ribbon cutting and attending various functions. I would imagine some of it is very interesting but some of it is probably boring especially if you have no interest in it (I'm just using this as an example, I love books and libraries so going to an opening of a book store or library or visiting a library would be fun activity if I were a princess. I have no interest in how air conditioners work, so visiting a factory where air conditioners are built and listening to a story about how they are made and built would be very boring). Just depends on what you like or are interested in.

An interesting question would be if doing charity work was not part of the job description of being a princess, you wonder if Sofia would be doing this. She wasn't (correct me if I'm wrong) doing charity work before she met Prince Carl Phillip.

Slowly I get the feeling that Victoria doesn´t dare to become pregnant because as soon as she is CP might announce his engagement to Sofia/or Madeleine hers to Chris....

Stefanie said:
Slowly I get the feeling that Victoria doesn´t dare to become pregnant because as soon as she is CP might announce his engagement to Sofia/or Madeleine hers to Chris....

I doubt that.
I'm pretty sure Victoria's pregnancy is not dictated by her siblings possible engagements.

On the other hand, I wonder if it'll make it hard for Daniel to have children because of his illnesses. If she's not pregnant within a few years I'll wonder about that.

Getting back on topic...I agree with nascarlucy...it makes me wonder what Sofias intentions are. The whole Africa thing looks a bit staged for me.

Last edited:
According to SvenskDam, a while ago Carl Philip and Sofia came with two bodyguards to watch "The King´s speech", they arrived when the lights were turned off and left before the end texts.

According to SvenskDam, a while ago Carl Philip and Sofia came with two bodyguards to watch "The King´s speech", they arrived when the lights were turned off and left before the end texts.

According to Johan T Lindwalls book Victoria that is also how Victoria went on moviedates with Daniel Collert(in the 90ths) and Daniel Westling(more recent)

And let me guess. They probably went on a night when the movie theatre wasn't crowded, came in quietly(right before the movie started) and sat in the back of the theatre or in an area where they would not be noticed. Before everyone else got up, they quietly left. People protected their privacy so no one really knew they were there. Someone told me this is what celebs in the Orlando area often do, so I'm assuming their setup was similiar.

Haven't heard anything lately about Prince Carl Phillip and Sofia Hellqvist.

His apartment is 114 square feet?
That can't be right.

Thread is way too long for me to read all of it, but I did manage to read some, and imho I would remove Carl Philip from the royal family (at least the line of succession) if he marries his present girlfriend.

After the Monaco Princely Family, the SRF is my next favorite, and I follow them peripherally. So with that said, the only child I like from this generation is Crown Princess Victoria, whom is exemplary in every way possible, always has been. Whereas her brother & sister are another matter all together.

I will never forget Madeline bailing out of a trip to the Swedish Hospital in Seattle, Washington, last year, and her poor sister Crown Princess Victoria having to fill-in for her at literally the last minute ~ two weeks before her wedding. Unacceptable!!!! >:^<

His apartment is 114 square feet?
That can't be right.

Why not? Do you think, tis is too small? If this is just an interim solution (the article mentions, that he will move to Prince Bertil's house Villa Solbacken after renovation) this size is absolutely ok.
Bye Bine

Don't get confused with our german way of using "Quadratmeter", Bine. 114 squarefeet is just 10 Quadratmeter (at least if the online converter is right). And that's definitely to small. For everyone. ;)

KitKat2006 said:
Don't get confused with our german way of using "Quadratmeter", Bine. 114 squarefeet is just 10 Quadratmeter (at least if the online converter is right). And that's definitely to small. For everyone. ;)

I don't think it's too small for one person. 1 square foot is the area enclosed by a square with a side of 1 foot. So the apartment would have an area of 114x114 feet. Pretty small but livable.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_foot

I think the Google Translater got it wrong.
The original article writes "kvadratmeter" which means in English "square meters" and not "square feet".

I don't think it's too small for one person. 1 square foot is the area enclosed by a square with a side of 1 foot. So the apartment would have an area of 114x114 feet. Pretty small but livable.

Square foot

Sorry, but you're wrong there. It's just plain logical mathematic which is absolutely identical everywhere on our planet. 114 square feet doesen't mean 114x114 feet but YxZ=114. So 114 square feet are definitely to small to live in.

Btw, 114 feet x 114 feet = 12996 square feet = 1207 square meter. That's not small by any means. That's a palace. ;)

I think the Google Translater got it wrong.
The original article writes "kvadratmeter" which means in English "square meters" and not "square feet".

Ah! OK, then it makes more sence. I guess I should have read the original article. Not that I speak danish, swedish or norwegian but there are a lot of words that sound the same like their german counterparts. Even if they're written completely different. Kvadratmeter/Quadratmeter is one of them. :D

114 square meters are absolutely enough. My husband an me have an 85 square meter appartement and are absolutely happy with it.

Last edited:
Not all settle down at this age. Just take a look south to Monaco. Albert is in his 50th, so CP has still a lot of time. He also doesn't need to settle down like his older sister was expected to. But if he feels the need to do so, he should do it with a woman he really loves. Regardless of what others may think. If it's Sofia, Emma (which I absolutely don't see to be honest) or some woman we don't even know yet doesn't matter.

If you ask me I would say, Sofia could very well be "the one". With Emma he had some kind of a boyish, innocent first relationship, whereas Sofia seems to be a something completely different. The time for experiments in the subject "love" is over. Both really know what a relationship and marture life is and are - like you already stated - in the right age to settle down.

So, why not? Personally I like Sofia. But I'm one of the little minority here who say that. I'm sure most of the users here will scream bloody murder if he really marries Sofia. And it's absolutely sure that the press will have a field day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom