The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Administrator

No one is disputing that at the present time CP has some type of feelings for Sofia. And I assume she has feelings for him as well.

What people are discussing is how such a relationship (because of her background) will play regarding the role of the monarchy in Sweden.

I do think in order for the concept of the monarchy to survive, there do need to be some changes in how the royals interact with their countrymen, the public perception of what they do and what value they bring (if any) to Sweden, England, Norway, etc.

It is also a different time than centuries ago when royals need to marry royals for political purposes (i.e. alliances, to settle succession disputes, etc.). I would also hope that royals marry for love and if that the case if the royal is in love with a commoner or a member of the aristrocracy or whatever. But let's not lose sight that monarchy exists because of the will of the people. And as DoM says, if the people think that there is nothing that differeniates the people from the royals, than people will start to question the point of the monarchy.

And IMO marrying someone who posed nude, appeared on a celebrity and also shows a thirst for fame is an example of someone who will start the questions. Sofia is probably a very nice girl, and I don't think anyone has anything personal against her. Its just what represents. I mean, people had a problem with a gym trainer who made an honest living...you think a nude model is going to fly under the radar?

And I totally agree with Rascal. CP should show better judgement as well. He is a member of the SRF so he knows what is acceptable and what is not. If she is non negotiable and the Swedes have an issue with her being a Princess, than he needs to be willing to accept the consequences.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I do think in order for the concept of the monarchy to survive, there do need to be some changes in how the royals interact with their countrymen, the public perception of what they do and what value they bring (if any) to Sweden, England, Norway, etc.
I was wondering what changes you were thinking about?

Quote:
And I totally agree with Rascal. CP should show better judgement as well. He is a member of the SRF so he knows what is acceptable and what is not. If she is non negotiable and the Swedes have an issue with her being a Princess, than he needs to be willing to accept the consequences.
I wonder if CP chose Sofia over having his titles, would people start to say things etc?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Administrator

There are a variety different changes and it can vary per country.

Some changes could be a smaller Royal Family. As Victoria and Daniel have kids, its natural that we see less of CP and Madeline. Perhaps when CP marries his kids will not carry the HRH title but HH or no title at all. Changes include a reduction in the money paid to certain member of the SRF. It can be anything. In Englad some of the changes include how the Civil List was paid out.

I would imagine that CP would need Parlimentary approval to marry Sofia. I know that was the case for Victoria and I am not sure if its because she is the Heir and he is the Spare. Could he do a Friso and Mabel and marry without parliamentary approval and lose his places in succession. It definitely possible.

People might say the same thing they say about Gustav on why he doesn'tmarry Catrina. If he loves her, than the money, castles and everythign else shouldn't marry. And I am trying not to get OFF TOPIC. He needs to do whats best for him and whats best for Sweden. If they two goals don't meet, than he needs to do what allows him to sleep at night without any regrets.

Public officials are answerable to the public. I certainly think that sometimes we expect to much, we are very demanding and we hold them to a higher standard. But you know, if my money supports you in any way. I think we have a right to do so. I don't expect to know ALL of their business but I have a right to question certain things.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Serene Highness

Did someone take a poll in Sweden to see what the average person thinks of their relationship?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Administrator

I don't think so but I am sure one of our friends can tell us for sure.

I do believe that there was a roll done that questioned the importance of the Swedish Royal Family or something like that. I believe it rose slightly but not sure if it was done before Victoria's wedding.

If it was done after, that would be something that everyone (the SRF and the people who work for them) need to take into consideration I would think.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
There are a variety different changes and it can vary per country.

Some changes could be a smaller Royal Family. As Victoria and Daniel have kids, its natural that we see less of CP and Madeline. Perhaps when CP marries his kids will not carry the HRH title but HH or no title at all. Changes include a reduction in the money paid to certain member of the SRF. It can be anything. In Englad some of the changes include how the Civil List was paid out.
We will see less and less of them, but not for a while. Because not to be mean, but if Victoria and Daniel don't have children CP will be King, with the possibility of Sofia as his consort. IF the swedish people allow it.
I can understand what you say about the reducing titles and money if the Swedish people feel like they don't deserve it.

Quote:
I would imagine that CP would need Parlimentary approval to marry Sofia. I know that was the case for Victoria and I am not sure if its because she is the Heir and he is the Spare. Could he do a Friso and Mabel and marry without parliamentary approval and lose his places in succession. It definitely possible.
I have always though that if parliament did not like the idea of the marriage and they said no, CP would loose his succesion rights and title if he chose to marry Sofia or whoever without permission.

Quote:
People might say the same thing they say about Gustav on why he doesn'tmarry Catrina. If he loves her, than the money, castles and everythign else shouldn't marry. And I am trying not to get OFF TOPIC. He needs to do whats best for him and whats best for Sweden. If they two goals don't meet, than he needs to do what allows him to sleep at night without any regrets.
I agree with you analysis of Carina and Gustav, and it might apply to CP one day, like you say if Gustav/CP truely loves Sofia/Carina castles, money, title shouldn't mean anything.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Nobility

Princesses until 1970-ies, flight attendant in 1976, personal trainer in 2010 and now a reality TV show contestant who poses topless. The Swedish Royal Family has certainly become liberal since the days of Gustaf VI Adolf. But when does liberal become too liberal? What is the criteria for a royal spouse these days?

And no, a prince cannot even date any woman he likes or loves. That's because he is a prince.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
? What is the criteria for a royal spouse these days?
To be a good wife, princess and produce an heir. IMO.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Nobility

That was the criteria 60 years ago. Obviously, they no longer have to be princesses.

A prince's wife should be more than simply faithful and fertile. IMO.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

That was the criteria 60 years ago. Obviously, they no longer have to be princesses.

A prince's wife should be more than simply faithful and fertile. IMO.
That's my criteria, that's why I put IMO.
There aren't enough Princess' for everyone.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

If the King or Queen agree to a royal marriage and approve the choice their son or daughter made, do you really think the Parliament is going to tell the couple that they can't get marry. I've never heard of a case where the reigning monarch has approved a marriage of their son or daughter and the Parliament turns them down. If they did, they better have a very compelling reason because all this is is rubber stamping it. A formality, that is all it is. We approve it, so you rubber stamp it.

Why does the Parliament even need to be involved in this these days? Private matter IMO.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness

To Kotroman: As far as dating, prince and princesses date pretty much who they want. Their parents don't dictate this to them or tell them you're going to date so and so. If they are an adult, they really couldn't. Who they marry though is an entirely different matter. Who they marry is more important than who they went out with to a movie or who they dated in college.

It seems like some people get bent out of shape when a royal dates someone that they don't approve of. This is what has happened in this case and on this blog. If the couple is engaged or serious, then there is some concern.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
If the King or Queen agree to a royal marriage and approve the choice their son or daughter made, do you really think the Parliament is going to tell the couple that they can't get marry. I've never heard of a case where the reigning monarch has approved a marriage of their son or daughter and the Parliament turns them down. If they did, they better have a very compelling reason because all this is is rubber stamping it. A formality, that is all it is. We approve it, so you rubber stamp it.

Why does the Parliament even need to be involved in this these days? Private matter IMO.
Carl Philip doesn't need the permission of the parliament to marry. Only the Permission of the King and the Government. Actually the only reigning Family in Europe where the permsiion of the Parliament is needed are the netherlands where every time a member of the Royal House marries with permission a law has to be made which regulates the titles and names of the future children.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:

We are talking about a future Head of State, representing the country at the highest level. Especially in case of the heir/ess, of course the partner choice isnt a private matter. No country wants to become a laughing stock if the partner is really unsuitable for different reasons. Usually if the reigning monarch is ok, he or she will convince parliament or government, depending on whose formal ok is needed. A background deal was done in case of Maxima because of her father's past, he had to stay at home for the agreement of parliament, Friso gave up any claim to the throne because Mabel lied about her past and wouldnt have gotten parliaments' ok.

Back to topic, CP is not really important for the country but can do a lot of image damage in case he wants both - marry an unsuitable person and continue his royal lifestyle at taxpayer's expense at the same time.

Sofia's whole CV only shows one aim in life: I wanna be famous. Hardly Princess material. Looks like the Swedish Kings are at their wits end, all three kids with disappointing choices, Daniels 9 year struggle clearly shows that Victorias parents thought she could do better and only the future will tell how Daniel will actually cope as consort.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
To Kotroman: As far as dating, prince and princesses date pretty much who they want. Their parents don't dictate this to them or tell them you're going to date so and so. If they are an adult, they really couldn't. Who they marry though is an entirely different matter. Who they marry is more important than who they went out with to a movie or who they dated in college.
I know they date who they want but I think they should choose more carefully. They are not Hollywood celebrities. They are princes. Calling someone who's dating a topless model "Your Royal Highness" is a bit... silly, in my opinion.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

Agree with you.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

Sofia's whole CV only shows one aim in life: I wanna be famous. Hardly Princess material. Looks like the Swedish Kings are at their wits end, all three kids with disappointing choices, Daniels 9 year struggle clearly shows that Victorias parents thought she could do better and only the future will tell how Daniel will actually cope as consort.
BINGO!!

Quote:
I know they date who they want but I think they should choose more carefully. They are not Hollywood celebrities. They are princes. Calling someone who's dating a topless model "Your Royal Highness" is a bit... silly, in my opinion.
You can say that again!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Aristocracy

I also share the general opinion here, I don't understand what CP is hoping with a girl who has done nude photos and reality shows. I feel sorry for him, hope I'm wrong though...
Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Exactly.
I just hope the monarchy does not become damaged. I think CP is going through a time right now. I think he's questioning himself and he's looking for answers. I do think he's trying to break free a bit from the claws of royalty. Sometimes we all just go with the flow without regards to the consequences but later on we reallze what we've done and we learn from it. CP, in my opinion, is 31 but he's a 18 year old inside. He has a lot of sorting out to do and I know eventually he will make the right decision.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Aftonbladet publishes today photos of Carl Philip and Sofia taken on a go-cart track in Laholm 20th July, five days before the palace spokeswoman Nina Eldh confirmed the prince's relationship with Sofia. At one photo Carl Philip caresses Sofia´s cheek.
The prince was to receive her gold medal on the podium and Sofia was quickly there with the camera. Carl Philip also had no objection to stand when spectators wanted to take pictures. When he climbed down from the podium, he took off his medal and hung it around Sofia's neck.
Här visar prins Carl Philip sin kärlek till Sofia Hellqvist | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip, relationship, relationships