The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDial View Post
...At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the Swedish monarchy is abolished within 10 years.
I would be very surpised if it is. Give it 15 to 20 and it is a real, but faint possibility.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDial View Post
At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the Swedish monarchy is abolished within 10 years.
I'd be very surprised if that happend, one troublesome prince is not enough to do so.

Well as most of you, at the moment, I'm not too keen on seeing Sofia as a member of SRF. I remeber watching a document about Victoria & Daniel before their wedding (I think it was from German ZDF), there was said that the King and Queen have a very good sense of what the swedish people are willing to accept, in regards to the partner choices of their children. I'd like to know what they think about Sofia. Carl-Philip might love her, but at the moment I don't think she's someone that will be accepted by the people. Thanks to the negative media coverage, her past is catching her and it does not matter if she regrets what she did or not. Time will tell what happens, if CP hormones calm down and he finds out that it was a nice "fling" but it's time to search for someone with whom he can start a family and who can represent Sweden or if Sofia is really worth it and they are willing to take the road of Victoria & Daniel and fight for their love.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Photos:
Prince Carl Philip and his girlfriend Sofia Hellqvist the restaurant Pepe's in Bastad, at the westcoast of Sweden. According to witnesses they ate a romantic dinner and looked very in love with eachother. Around 21.30 o'clock they came to Pepe's, holding hands. They were seated furthest into the corner of the restaurant, separated from the other gusets around a table with sofas. They got more intimate as the night went on. During the summer the prince and Sofia have stopped to avoid to show their love to the press, and other guests at the restaurant said it looked like true love between the two.
Profimedia
Profimedia
Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Gentry

on photos they don't look like a romantic couple! it looks like more friends meet than a romantic dinner!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Aristocracy

I also do not see the romance. Plus, I am afraid, the girl's got ugly teeth. Well at least one can do something about that.
http://a.blip.tv/scripts/flash/strat...&enablejs=true
Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Aristocracy

One of the 3 siblings must marry into royalty
There is danger for the Swedish Monarchy SpeedDial is right
Victoria married a commoner She made a mistake that can't be corrected that easily
Now Carl Philip and Madeleine must be careful with their future partner
Old 07-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Gentry

I still don´t like Sofia I still hope they will break up but the worst part is the more people want them to break up the more closer they will get if we look on the past when people are against that couple (like MM and HM of Norway, Wallis Simpson and George and so on)they grew closer.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Commoner

My feelings about Sofia aside, I don't trust her becuase someone is leaking all these photos of them out and about to the press. Since we never see CP unless he's with her, either he never leaves the house unless he's with Sofia or at an offical function, she's leaking the info, or she has untrustworthy people in her life who she really should cut out of it.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Aristocracy

If Victoria has children with Daniel, then it's over
She should give up her CP title and then Carl Philip must marry into royalty and become King
Beatrice of York or Theodora of Greece would be the most suitable brides
I prefer the latter
Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Aristocracy

Anne83: what's wrong with the swedish royal family finally having a few swedish genes in their pool? And do you not think that the swedish people who write here can judge the situation better than someone in Atlanta? After all, old Bernadotte was not a Royal himself, far from it. So the swedish people seem to have a tradition of pragmatic choices. Besides, while Viktoria obviously has had an education to prepare her to be queen and takes the matter very serious, her siblings seem a far cry from the capability of putting themselves in the service of their country for the rest of their lives.
I like Mette-Marit. She might have a past, but she has a very winning present and the future looks bright for her. I only have problems with Sofia because she looks and behaves totally superficial. The problem with a woman who goes for making a living out of her physical attributes is that she usually is not getting herself some character traits which are very valuable in the long run. 'Cause sexyness is not a lasting characteristic.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Aristocracy

Future Monarchs who respect the Monarchy and themselves marry into Royalty
The Norwegian Monarchy isn't abolished yet but they didn't gain any more popularity from Haakon's choice to marry an ex-drug addict.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

^So...none of the future monarchs respect monarchy, according to you. Because we have:
Haakon with MM
Frederik with Mary
W-A with Maxima
Felipe with Letizia

and so on...
Old 07-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
^So...none of the future monarchs respect monarchy, according to you. Because we have:
Haakon with MM
Frederik with Mary
W-A with Maxima
Felipe with Letizia

and so on...
When there is no difference anymore between "Royals" who represent the country on taxpayer's money and any ordinary citizen monarchy will become obsolete and will be abolished. MM already lowered the standard and if this doesnt stay a one off but will be business as usual with fitness instructors or pin up girls becoming HRH's, people will say at some point "wait a minute". Not today, not tomorrow, very likely not in our generation but I doubt all of the present ruler's heir grandchildren will actually take to the throne.

But back to topic - CP wont do anyone a favour if he should indeed stay with Sofia. She would be a big step towards the downfall of monarchies in general, another level of "low" after what we have already seen.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne83 View Post
She should give up her CP title and then Carl Philip must marry into royalty and become King
I prefer the latter
You are fooling us, aren´t you?
Nothing would weaken the Monarchy more than to celebrate an expensive love wedding and to have said multiple times, how serious one is taking the task, just to step back, when children (the Monarchy´s base) arrive. Yes, then the 10 years SpeedDial was talking about are extremely likely.

And Beatrice?!? Why not a divorce from Daniel and a wedding with Prince Ernst August of Hannover. Hey, he is Royal after all.

Sorry, but a lack of commitment and the press (who would cover the prince cheating, because he doesn´t love his Royal wife) is the problem, but inbreeding is belonging to the past. Thankfully

And Mette Marit can´t complain about the 8%+ the RF had made in the 9 years with her as Crown Princess. If she would have been as awful as many had thought, popularity would have dropped more and wouldn´t have raised again.

Quote:
When there is no difference anymore between "Royals" who represent the country on taxpayer's money and any ordinary citizen monarchy will become obsolete and will be abolished. MM already lowered the standard and if this doesnt stay a one off but will be business as usual with fitness instructors or pin up girls becoming HRH's, people will say at some point "wait a minute". Not today, not tomorrow, very likely not in our generation but I doubt all of the present ruler's heir grandchildren will actually take to the throne.
And if they take a look in their biology books, they will also say, wait a minute, isn´t it a bit unhealthy, if you marry your cousin, who is by genes already your brother.
The times are different. If they marry for education or title only, their unhappy marriages will be in the rags day for day for day.
And as we can see in Belgium. Mathilde is a sweet perfect noble wife, but obviously many Belgians find them "too boring".
What I want is decent people with humour, who do their job and who don´t just marry for status or money. And I guess this is something most agree on.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Aristocracy

Well Beatrice's mother is not quite a royal born, is she? Whereas Diana was, but it did not help very much. Changing times do not stop at the palace door, the royal blood still might not help someone endure an unhappy marriage. In the old days, Kings and Princes would have affairs and illegitim children without the press covering their every move. And the women simply did not have to say much, noble or not.
I think most royal parents prefer their childern to be in a stable marriage with someone suitable but not blue blooded than to have constant scandal. Now, and that is my point, I think that in case of unhappiness and (godforbid!) divorce, Prince Daniel would still be discreet and loyal, while I have serious doubts about Sofia in that respect. But then there is Fergie....
Old 07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
I'd be very surprised if that happend, one troublesome prince is not enough to do so.
I'm not saying this CP/Sofia mess will be the cause of it, but it will certainly be one more reason for the Swedish people to be fed up more than they already are. Look at that recent poll that was done where less than half of the people surveyed like the monarchy. I can't say I blame them at the rate it's going.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
And if they take a look in their biology books, they will also say, wait a minute, isn´t it a bit unhealthy, if you marry your cousin, who is by genes already your brother.
The times are different. If they marry for education or title only, their unhappy marriages will be in the rags day for day for day.
And as we can see in Belgium. Mathilde is a sweet perfect noble wife, but obviously many Belgians find them "too boring".
What I want is decent people with humour, who do their job and who don´t just marry for status or money. And I guess this is something most agree on.
1- I think the inbreeding thing is seen by many people nowadays as a bigger problem that it actually is. It became a problem when there was several marriages between first cousins whose children married first cousins etc..
If you marry second cousins or so probability of something bad happening are low, just as having children after 40 or so.. In the european royal families there are hundreds of examples of extremely healthy and good looking children of parents that were related between them (just thinks to the children of Marie Astrid and Margarete of Luxemburg).

2- Isn't this too much?? I don't understand people that accept CP dating Sofia but implying she's better that the delightful Mathilde of Belgium seems really crazy to me! So what?? Should Mathilde pose naked with a snake to be less boring?? Thankfully it's not true people find her boring, actually everybody likes her: a recent survey proclamed her the most popular member of the Royal Family.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne83 View Post
I prefer the latter
Daniel-now Prince of Sweden-might be born a commoner. But he has conducted himself with nothing but dignity and made an honest living for himself long before he met CP Victoria-to whom he seems genuinely devoted.

And no one except his wife knows what he looks naked!

At first I had doubts about him...since Victoria's father married a non-Royal I had hopes that the Crown Princess would infuse some aristocratic blood into the Royal House...she did not, but that is okay...I think Daniel will prove to be a real asset to his new wife and to Sweden.

There is a big, BIG difference between being a commoner and being simply common!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Courtier

For me it´s the education and behave, which makes you noble. And Sofie is in my opinion not well educated or discreet.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Aristocracy

Right, Nathalie Cox
All these Crown Princes made bad choices
I wouldn't want any of them as my King

Tags
prince carl philip, relationship, relationships