The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Gentry

okay...I'm looking forward to it! It's very soon!

Old 01-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Kofi and the King(Yes, but who is that to the side of the general secretary)

Goran Persson, Kofi Annan, Hans Blix, King Carl Gustaf & Queen Silvia at the "Preventing Genocide" conference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2902502.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	37073   Click image for larger version

Name:	2902630.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	37074  

Old 01-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Gentry

LOVE that new picture with Silvia and Carl Gustaf. They look so happy! Wonderful!
Old 01-30-2004, 01:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Dennism  Posted: Jan 28th, 2004 - 4:47 pm
I gather Kofi's wife is Swedish. I wonder how 'well connected' she is with the Swedish RF?
Old 01-30-2004, 02:39 AM
Majesty

Don't know. She surely knows Silvia. She is involved with the various children programs at the UN. She and Kofi were at Willem and Maxima's wedding as well. From a UN site:

"Nane Annan was born in Stockholm, Sweden. She trained as a lawyer and worked for many years in the public sector. After receiving a law degree from Stockholm University in 1968, she entered the Swedish Court System, becoming an Assistant Judge at the Administrative and Fiscal Court of Appeal in Stockholm in 1975. On leave from the Court, she assisted in legislative projects as Assistant Secretary of the Swedish Parliamentary Aliens Act Commission (1976-1981) and as expert of the Swedish Commission on Ethnic Prejudice and Discrimination (1979-1980). In 1981, she joined UNHCR Geneva as a Legal Officer until 1983 when she moved to New York.

Since 1985 she has been painting full time for several years in two New York institutions - the Art Students League and the Studio School. She has participated in a few group exhibitions, two benefiting UNICEF and one at United Nations premises in Germany. In 1996 she joined the board of Women's International Forum, which provides a forum for discussion on international relations, particularly in regard to the United Nations.

The election of her husband as Secretary-General of the United Nations in December 1996 has brought about dramatic changes in both their lives. Although she is pursuing her interest in art, she is focusing on women's issues, also in regard to programmes designed to alleviate poverty, and the welfare of children and refugees. However, given her and her husband's sudden loss of anonymity, she finds it important to provide a retreat into a private world for both of them as well."
Old 01-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Kofi and the King(Yes, but who is that to the side of the general secretary)
haha, looks funny. a new human. "Kofi- Victoria"
Old 01-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Majesty

I was just imagining Victoria with his accent. That would be interesting.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:51 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Silvia reminds me of Eugenie de Montijo y Guzman. Both seem to have a limitless supply of gorgeous dresses and gowns. Empress Eugenie dressed for political reasons and to keep luxury industries going. She really wasn't all that interested in fashion and dress from what I've read. Maybe Silvia is dressing the part and isn't enthusiastic about dress. But if that's the case, she's sure fooled me!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Gentry

well....can you maybe post some of those pictures?...because I tried to get to see them, but the computer cept saying that I had to log in first...so pleeeeease help...I would really loooove to see those pictures! Kamilla
Old 04-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, how can you watch ALL pictures at brainpix. The text under the one pic, in which both are eating ice-cream, says that there are 7 pics, but I can´t find them...
Old 04-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Translation from article in the national Swedish newspaper Expressen, 8 April:

Picture: loading the elephants

The King’s elephants have landed!

Sanoi and Bua were about to cause a diplomatic crisis. Last night The King’s elephants came to Sweden.
- This is great. I have been nervous for weeks, says Mats Höggren, Animal Director at the Kolmården Animal Park.

It was a long trip for the two six- and seven years old elephants. Around five AM yesterday morning they took of by plane from Bangkok in Thailand. At a stop in Frankfurt, the animals were loaded onto an especially charted Herkules plane. Last night at two PM they came to Norrköping Airport.
- They seem calm and nice. Now we can relax, said Mats Höggren, Animal Director at the Kolmården Animal Park last night.
- Elephants are so special and magnificent animals. They put high demands on us. Those we are going to live up to.

But Sanoi and Bua’s home will have to wait. The elephant females were taken directly into quarantine in an industrial area in the outskirt of Norrköping. King Carl Gustaf received the elephants as a gift by the Thai King Bhumiol during a visit in the country last year.

Kolmården approved.
But it was for long not clear whether the gifts could be received by Sweden. After long discussions – that were about to cause a diplomatic crisis – Kolmården Animal Park was approved by the Thai Minister for Culture as their new home.

On 1 May, the elephants will arrive at the park. That day The King and his family will visit the park to welcome their new “pets”.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:37 AM
Nobility

Queen Silvia looks lovely. For some strange reason, she reminds me of Caroline von Monaco. If I were to see them both in the streets, then I'd swear they were mother and daughter.

You see, don't they look like mother and daughter? Oh my, they both have the same nose, hair color, and skin complexion.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Aristocracy

They do look similair, but I think Sylvia and Victoria look more alike. When I look at pictures of Sylvia, sometimes I see Jackie Kennedy, especially as she got older. I definitely see it in those last two pictures with Caroline of Monaco.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, they look very much alike...but I would rather say they look like elder sister and younger...Queen Silvia looks in spite of her 60 years much younger, and in the last years IMO Caroline aged a lot (smoking?&#33...and Caroline is only 13 years and 1 month younger than Queen Silvia...
Old 04-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Gentry

The pictures of Silvia and Caroline are almost freaky to me...they look so much alike. I think that they look much more alike than Silvia and Victoria. In my opinion, that Silvia and Caroline look so similar just goes to show how young Silvia still looks for her age!
Old 04-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Majesty

Thanks for posting those. I love those early photos. They are so cool.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

aww, from the Kings 50th birthday 1996... I love Silvias dress!
Old 05-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Gentry

When is the royal copule going to that birthday-party? does someone know?
Old 05-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Here is a photo from 1978, I think, with their eldest child:

photo

Here is a photo from June of 2003:

photo
Old 05-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Aristocracy

Picture 8 is fantastic! Now I know where Victoria got her ability to make faces from.

Look at Silvia's facial expression and keep an watch for pictures of Crown Princess Victoria who makes some of the funniest faces I've ever seen captured in a photograph or image. Its almost as if no set of pictures of CP Victoria is complete without a funny face-picture of her. :flower:

Tags
carl gustav, king carl xvi gustav, pictures, queen silvia, silvia