King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 8: May 2010 - May 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The norwegian media has noticed very strongly that king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia don't attend at the National Day of Norway on 17th May. 2014 is the 200th anniversary of when the country's Constitution was adopted at the Storting in Eidsvoll and thus that this year's celebration is considered as very important by Norwegians.
History professor Ole Kristian Grimnes sees Swedish royal couple's absence as "regrettable" and can't see any reason why the King and Silvia should not attend.
- The royal family should come because it's a major event in the Norwegian nation's history. They should be with and rejoice with the Norwegians. It was, so to say thanks to Bernadotte that we got a constitution.
Denmark's Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik have said they will attend the Norway's National Day celebrations.
According to NRK, it is not known why the Swedish royal couple turned down.
- Of course it would have been very nice that all three monarchs would meet at Eidsvoll dated May 17, but I think the Swedish royal couple must have strong reasons to reject, such a state visit at home or abroad, says TV2 court expert Kjell Arne Totland to Dagbladet.no.

According to the court's acting director of the press department, Annika Sönnerberg explanation is simple:
- The King doesn't visit other countries on the grounds that they are celebrating a special day, such as National Day.
Why not?
- There is a line that the king has when it comes to this kind of invitations. He is in Sweden at the Swedish National Day. I have nothing more to say about this.
What do you say about that this issue has been widely reported in the Norwegian media?
- I have no comment on that.
Kungen och Silvia i norskt blåsväder Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Kungen nobbar Norge Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Thanks (as always) LadyFinn :flowers:

I see that story is rapidly spreading here in Scandinavia.
What about junior members of the SRF? Might they attend instead, you think?

And what's the word on streets in Sweden?

Thanks (as always) LadyFinn :flowers:

I see that story is rapidly spreading here in Scandinavia.
What about junior members of the SRF? Might they attend instead, you think?

And what's the word on streets in Sweden?

"Royal Court's explanation is just hogwash", says Johan T Lindwall from Expressen.
Lindwall tells that he got the first call from Norway already in the morning. Then he was sure that the king and queen had a very good reason to decline their attendance, like a state visit which hasn't been published yet and he told it in all the interviews to the Norwegian media. He thought it was unthinkable that the King and Queen would otherwise pass up such an important day in Norway. Not only that they are Sweden's closest neighbors, King Harald and Queen Sonja are personal friends of the royal couple and Haakon and Mette-Marit are very close to Victoria and Daniel.
Then came the Swedish royal court's explanation:
The King does not visit other countries on the grounds that they are celebrating a special day, such as National Day.
Lindwall writes: "Excuse me? Nonsense, I say. No such rule has never before existed. Royal Court's explanation is thin and I'm convinced after several hours newsfeed that they have misjudged the situation. They have not realized how important this day is for Norway and their population. What to do now? Difficult. Unfortunately, the damage is already done. Someone at the castle has obviously not done their job. The only chance now is to save a little of the situation and accept the invitation and go to Norway".
Hovets förklaring är bara struntprat Johan T Lindwall
Translation

As for if someone from the SRF will attend, we will have to wait and see...
But norwegian media is writing about this a lot.

As far as I remember, the union between Norway and Sweden was founded in November 1814. The constitution of Norway was first adopted on 16 May and subsequently signed and dated on 17 May 1814 by the Norwegian Constituent Assembly at Eidsvoll. And so 17th May is Norway's National Day.

Last edited:
Why should Sweden send a representative to a Norwegian jubilee that basically was something like an uprising against Sweden in 1814?

IIRC we didnt send anyone to St Petersburg when they celebrated 300 year celebration(when the tow was built on what de jure counted as Swedish territory)

:previous: Because one of the main functions of a head of state is to cement good relationships between countries. Not least neighboring countries and perhaps even more so if the heads of states in these countries already have a very good personal relationship.

I can well understand if the Norwegians feel snubbed. It is after all not the 197th anniversary and being a young nation the bicentennial anniversary is still very important and something to celebrate.

Okay, based on what is known at present I think it's a case of very poor judgement if Sweden do not send a royal representative to Norway, even more so if the other Nordic countries send their heads of states.
However, if the SRF were planning to send say Victoria and Daniel, then it's a major PR blunder not to say so right away. Because if it is published later on that V&D will go it inevitably leaves the impression of getting cold feet.

And Norway was granted independence by DK IIRC in 1814, (or more correctly allowed to form their own constitution and elect their own king without interference from Denmark) so you can say that Sweden invaded Norway, rather than surpressed a rebellious province, which by the way had never been Swedish.

Last edited:
King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia attend at the 400th anniversary of Kristianstad in May, queen Margrethe and prince Henrik will not attend.

Queen Margrethe and prince Henrik have already two years ago been invited to the 400th anniversary of Kristianstad in Sweden in 22-24 May 2014, a former city and now a municipality which danish king Christian IV founded in 1614. Because the organizers hadn't got an answer, they had sent two reminders. The danish court had told that they will answer after king Carl Gustaf gives his decision if he attends. The swedish court told in November that king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia will attend at the anniversary, but the danish court notified two days after that queen Margrethe and prince Henrik don't attend.
Det danska hovet ger Kristianstad nobben Kvällsposten
Translation

Last edited:
The King and Queen attend the celebration on May 17. The king has changed his mind after getting new information about the program.

Swedish royal couple not to attend National Day celebrations, but must be part of a special anniversary event at Eidsvoll on the night of May 17.

Kungen kommer likevel - Nyheter, tv og radio fra hele verden - NRK.no

Press release from the royal court
Norska grundloven 200 år - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The king and queen had today an audience with Sweden's county governors.
Kungaparet tog emot Sveriges landshövdingar - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation
HQ photo
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/18....MM+Landshövdingar+foto+H+Garlöv+30X20+067.jpg

Last edited:
The king attends today and tomorrow at the the Annual National Conference of Folk och Försvar (Society and Defence) in Sälen. The event was recently added to the king's calendar. The president of Finland, Sauli Niinistö, speaks today at the conference. Prince Daniel attended at this conference last year.

Live coverage
Rikskonferensen 2014 söndag 12.30-13.15 - Folk och Försvar

The king arriving
http://media.shootitlive.com/9jpHHLXDOe2kPcbAkZeG1cDXspL/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1285
http://media.shootitlive.com/8zqqV3wqgMb9n6OunSyVxE1Nhf7/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1285
http://media.shootitlive.com/NrDYsk6jI5yar0Ba1MzDIbDLRGH/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1285

President Sauli Niinistö arriving
http://media.shootitlive.com/AqX6W7jrNWCwPNtgouKRCY8rnDF/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1285

The king at the conference
http://media.shootitlive.com/BzAKz63l105vDNNfw936tMyGhNa/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1285
http://media.shootitlive.com/K1RGnMmfqVJBiOTlhKCxQaaqVjT/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1285
http://media.shootitlive.com/U1Rq30dLRuQ0ttxGsQTvKh3lsZv/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1285
http://media.shootitlive.com/7Ko9r85kl8hxzrlhLd40LHSxnH4/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1285
http://media.shootitlive.com/WA0ANO7cHq77GzYLXPH1Z98gd1b/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1285

President Niinistö and prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt
http://media.shootitlive.com/4GOb1ynwI1zlej3zhCIEeh3TAuq/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1285

Kungen vid Folk och Försvars rikskonferens i Sälen - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Last edited:
The king gave on Wednesday formal audiences to new ambassadors from Kazakhstan, Egypt, Armenia and Mauritania.
Högtidliga audienser på Kungliga slottet - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The king met also 14-year old Samir. He had wished through Foundation Min Stora Dag (My Big Day) to meet the king. Samir's family came to Sweden two years ago, but has been on the road for a long time. They left Afghanistan and traveled to Iran, where they lived for several years, then they came to Turkey and then to Greece before they came to Sweden.
Due to a severe accident, Samir had to undergo several operations. He is feeling better now, but must live with complications for a long time to come.
"My dream has come true. It was unbelievable to meet the King. He asked about me and my family and told me, among other things, that he has been King for forty years", said Samir after meeting with the King
Kungen träffade Samir, 14 år - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation
Photo
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/16615_658897590835823_1519645692_n.jpg

Queen Silvia delivered scholarship awards from Queen Silvia's Jubilee Fund for Research into Children and Children's Disabilities at the Royal Palace.
Drottningen delade ut stipendier - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Last edited:
The king gave on Wednesday formal audiences to new ambassadors from Kazakhstan, Egypt, Armenia and Mauritania.
Högtidliga audienser på Kungliga slottet - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The king met also 14-year old Samir. He had wished through Foundation Min Stora Dag (My Big Day) to meet the king. Samir's family came to Sweden two years ago, but has been on the road for a long time. They left Afghanistan and traveled to Iran, where they lived for several years, then they came to Turkey and then to Greece before they came to Sweden.
Due to a severe accident, Samir had to undergo several operations. He is feeling better now, but must live with complications for a long time to come.
"My dream has come true. It was unbelievable to meet the King. He asked about me and my family and told me, among other things, that he has been King for forty years", said Samir after meeting with the King
Kungen träffade Samir, 14 år - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation
Photo
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/16615_658897590835823_1519645692_n.jpg

Queen Silvia delivered scholarship awards from Queen Silvia's Jubilee Fund for Research into Children and Children's Disabilities at the Royal Palace.
Drottningen delade ut stipendier - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation
:previous:

pictures
Photobank

APA-PictureDesk
IBL Bildbyrå - Redaktionella arkivet - Samtliga arkiv

Svensk Damtidning writes in this week's issue (paper version) that no one can believe how pretty and young queen Silvia still is.
Some things and secrets behind the youthfulness of the queen:
- the queen has the same waist size and figure than 37 years ago
- the queen dyes her hair very often, no one has ever seen her with roots showing
- the last time the queen was seen with glasses was in 1993. If she has been at an eye operation or she uses contact lenses, that is a well kept secret.
- her teeth are fine because of she prefers tea to coffee and has never been smoking
- her hearing has become worse, say those who have seen that she uses a hearing aid sometimes. She can hide it to her hair.
- she eats a lot of fish and vegetables
- earlier she had a gymnastics group with her friends at the Drottningholm Palace, not anymore, she swims a lot at the pool she got as 50th birthday gift.
- she gets training tips from Daniel
- Estelle, her smile and when she runs at the Palace corridors, keeps the queen young
- and the queen has inherited the good genes from her mother Alice, who had a thick hair and beautiful figure.

But not a mention to beauty trips to Brazil.

Svensk Damtidning writes in this week's issue (paper version) that no one can believe how pretty and young queen Silvia still is.
- the queen dyes her hair very often, no one has ever seen her with roots showing
- the last time the queen was seen with glasses was in 1993. If she has been at an eye operation or she uses contact lenses, that is a well kept secret.
- her teeth are fine because of she prefers tea to coffee and has never been smoking
- her hearing has become worse, say those who have seen that she uses a hearing aid sometimes. She can hide it to her hair.
- she eats a lot of fish and vegetables
- earlier she had a gymnastics group with her friends at the Drottningholm Palace, not anymore, she swims a lot at the pool she got as 50th birthday gift.
- she gets training tips from Daniel
- Estelle, her smile and when she runs at the Palace corridors, keeps the queen young
- and the queen has inherited the good genes from her mother Alice, who had a thick hair and beautiful figure.

But not a mention to beauty trips to Brazil.

Very interesting thanks for sharing!!!

After three pregnancies? Is it possible?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom