King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 8: May 2010 - May 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queen Silvia has handed out the 2011 World's Children Honorary Award during
a ceremony at Gripsholm Castle in Mariefred, western Stockholm on April 28,

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

King Carl Gustaf yesterday, April 28, presented scholarships to three young
leaders and presented diplomas to the participants of the course Value
Based Leadership.

** royalcourt.se: Kungen delade ut stipendier till tre unga ledare ** translation **

** royalcourt.se: Kungen delade ut diplom för Ungt Ledarskap ** translation **

On May 3rd, King Carl Gustaf planted a tree at the Drottningholm Palace Park in
Stockholm. The tree planting marked the 20 year anniversary at the Palace
Park as a UN World Heritage.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3**

** royalcourt.se: Kungen planterade lind i sista etappen av lindallén på Drottningholm **

Besides that the 20 year anniversary of the Drottningholm castle as an UN World
Heritage was marked with a special ceremony inside the palace:

** royalcourt.se: Kungen invigde att Drottningholm firar 20 år som världsarv ** translation **

Thanks for the information. But where do you listen, that the queen will stay in Rio on 12th May? ;)
Do the queen visit Childhood-projects or attend conference/seminar in Brasil?

The Childhood-Foundation-Gala in Rio de Janeiro will be on 17th May. :flowers:

Queen Silvia is going to be in Brazil on 12 May

Blog da Hildegard Angel » E, depois das princesas, uma rainha!

She will be in Rio do celebrate the 12th anniversary of the Childhood Foundation which was founded by her.

It is royalty season in Brazil: Prince Albert of Monaco, Princess Michael of Kent, Infanta Elena and now Queen Silvia.

You are right ursulajohanna! I should have payed more attention. Queen Silvia will be at the event on May 17th but I really don't know when she is going to arrive in Brazil!

Well, after all, it seems Queen Silvia arrived in Brazil some days before her press conference in Rio on May 16th.
She spent a few days in São Paulo, where she has some relatives. In previous visits to Brazil it was reported that when in São Paulo she stays at her relatives’ home in the expensive neighborhood of Morumbi but this time she stayed at Hotel Fasano Fasano - Hotels.
In Rio de Janeiro, there was a press conference at Sofitel Hotel at Copacabana Beach Hotel Sofitel Rio de Janeiro Copacabana - Luxury hotel RIO DE JANEIRO - Official Web Site, on May 16th but I could not find out if she stayed at this hotel. She hosted a breakfast for the press and was very elegant in a beige dress and carrying a handbag with a scarf tied to it. The journalists who attended the conference had to sign a paper in agreement to not ask any personal question, because the subject to be discussed was only the World Childhood foundation that, by the way, has been doing an excellent job here in Brazil for many years. Rainha Silvia da Suécia: no Rio | Site RG – Moda, Estilo, Festa, Beleza e mais – iG and
Uma rainha contra o abuso e a exploração sexual de crianças e adolescentes no Brasil - Celebridades - Notícia - VEJA.com. The Queen explained why the Foundation was created: "15 years ago there was a case (of sexual exploitation of children) in Sweden that shocked me. But nobody wanted to talk about it. So, I thought, although it is difficult for me as Queen and as a mother, I have the duty to speak out. ". She called the society to step in: "It is a matter that needs attention. I am not a politician but I can draw politicians and media’s attention. “ The Queen praised the Brazilian Government's engagement in the fight to combat sexual exploitation. "We were here in the World Congress of Confrontation of the Sexual exploitation of children and adolescents (the first congress held in a developing country, in 2008) and saw that Brazil takes this very seriously. “
The interview was given in a very good Portuguese, almost without an accent. She was very relaxed and ended up adding some information about her private life. She said she has a special affection for Brazil because she lived here for 10 years as a child and appreciates very much Brazilian culture and food. She said that the high notes of her trips to Brazil are “family, friends, food, sweets, and jabuticaba ..." Jabuticaba is a delicious Brazilian fruit . You can find info on Jabuticaba here : Jabuticaba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, YouTube - Jabuticaba, YouTube - Geléia de jabuticaba-1, how to make jabuticaba jam, YouTube - Jabuticaba jabuticaba song in English by Bebel Gilberto, daughter of one of Bossa Nova creators.
Queen Silvia will leave Brazil on May 21th but said jokingly that if Brazilians could promise her more sun she will consider staying a little bit more.

While in Rio, Queen Silvia visited social projects supported by her foundation accompanied by the Mayor Eduardo Paes and by the Governor of the state of Rio de Janeiro (which has the same name of its capital) Sergio Cabral. Here you can see a small video of a visit G1 Rio de Janeiro - Vídeos - Rainha Silvia da Suécia visita instituição para crianças em Vila Isabel
On May 17th, Queen Silvia attended a concert at Theatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro (Profile Pictures | Facebook, YouTube - Reabertura do lindo Theatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro, YouTube - Theatro MUnicipal do Rio de Janeiro) to improve awareness of child abuse and exploitation. Brazilian press stated that she “speaks Portuguese fluently, is kind, friendly, very accessible, without a shred of snobbery. Attitudes of a true Queen, anyway!”. After the concert (Blog da Hildegard Angel » Rainha da Suécia vem ao Brasil defender as crianças, em noite no Municipal . Childhood Brasil @Theatro Municipal | Site RG – Moda, Estilo, Festa, Beleza e mais – iG) Queen Silvia received a standing ovation from the public. She also met the artists in a private room and according to one of them she thanked each and every one for their support.

Today, May 18th she is in Brasilia (Brazil’s capital)to meet Dilma Rousseff, the President of Brazil

Tomorrow, May 19th Queen Silvia will be participating in a congress about sexual abuse and child exploitantion at Superior Federal Tribunal where judges from all corners of Brazil will discuss their experience with children relating the abuses they were subjected to. Embaixada da Suécia Brasilia - Notícias
PLEASE SEE CORRECTION ON THIS INFO BELOW

It seems that Queen Silvia will host a dinner at the Swedish Embassy as well but I am not sure if it will be tonight or tomorrow night.

The Swedish Prime Minister is also in Brazil but leaves for Chile today. He has been to Brasilia and São Paulo. He came with a delegation of Swedish businessman and met with the President Dilma Rousseff, Ministers and Brazilian Businessman. DefesaNet - F-X2 - F-X2 - Primeiro-ministro da Suécia visita o Brasil na próxima semana
Jornal Agora | Dilma defende desarmamento nuclear em todo o mundo ...
Portal Fiesp

Last edited:
Thanks for the many information about the visit in Brasil. :flowers:

Do you just know when the Dinner of the queen was taken and do you see pics of this event? ;)

It seems that Queen Silvia will host a dinner at the Swedish Embassy as well but I am not sure if it will be tonight or tomorrow night.

I will have to correct some of the info about Queen Silvia’s activities on May 18th. :bang:

I think that it is also important to mention that May 18th is the Brazilian National Day against Child and Adolescent Abuse and Sexual Exploitation.

In the morning, she opened the congress at Superior Federal Tribunal on Brazilian Judiciary Experiences on taking testimony of children and adolescents victims of sexual abuse and exploitation. The congress will last till May 20th. The opening of the meeting, which happened in the Great Hall of the Federal Supreme Court was attented also by the President of the Federal Supreme Court, Minister Cezar Peluso; the Attorney General, Roberto Gurgel; and the President of the Council of Childhood Brazil, Rosana Camargo de Arruda Botelho.
G1 - Rainha Silvia abre evento no DF sobre direitos de crianças e adolescentes - notícias em Distrito Federal, Midia News | Judiciário | Presidente do STF e Rainha da Suécia debatem proteção à infância

In the afternoon, Queen Silvia met the President of Brazil, Dilma Rousseff.
Dilma e rainha Sílvia da Suécia conversam sobre proteção a crianças e adolescentes | Agencia Brasil,
MOVIE NIGHT by VANDERLAN NADER: RAINHA SILVIA DA SUÉCIA EM BRASÍLIA COM DILMA: PARCERIA ENTRE BRASIL E SUÉCIA.

At night, there was a dinner at the Swedish Embassy in which Queen Silvia was present. This in an official link of a Brazilin Ministry:
http://www.mds.gov.br/saladeimprens...ional - Mobilizacao marca data 18 de Maio.pdf
I could not find any pictures yet, Ursulajohanna, sorry.Maybe later today I can find something.:sad:

Today, May 19th, the Swedish Embassy and Brazilian Secretariat for human rights (Secretaria de Direitos Humanos), with the support of the Swedish organization Save the Children promote a seminar on experiences of legislation against corporal child punishment. The seminar will take place in the Brazilian Congress. Queen Silvia will attend the opening ceremony.

Seminário discute leis contra castigos corporais em crianças
Seminário discute leis contra castigos corporais em crianças - Agência Câmara de Notícias

Is the Queen (still) fluent in Portuguese? was she ever? thank you in advance for your reply ;)

The press said she does, almost without an accent

King Carl Gustaf handed out Scholarship awards from the Carl XVI Gustaf 50th Anniversary
Fund for Science, Technology and the Environment at the Royal Palace in Stockholm on
Thursday May 19, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Is the Queen (still) fluent in Portuguese? was she ever? thank you in advance for your reply ;)

As Portugese is her mother's tongue and she grew up in Brazil I guess she speaks it as good as German.

On May 20, King Carl Gustaf inaugurated the jubilee exhibition "WWF 40 years in
Sweden, 50 years in the world" at Solliden Palace.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

On May 21, he was pictured leaving a banquet at the Castle in Kalmar.

** Pic **

While in Brazil last week, Queen Silvia gave a long and quite interesting interview, mostly about the purposes of her World Childhood Foundation and her views on issues related to it, but also including a few more personal matters.
Link to the interview in google translation, also with a new portrait taken on the occasion,:

Google Translate

Thanks for the information. The Interview was taken 16th May 2011 in Rio.

While in Brazil last week, Queen Silvia gave a long and quite interesting interview, mostly about the purposes of her World Childhood Foundation and her views on issues related to it, but also including a few more personal matters.
Link to the interview in google translation, also with a new portrait taken on the occasion,:

Google Translate

ZDF Royal - ZDF.de

Tonight, there is a documentary about CG on german TV, ZDF

We'll see how realistic it is, but the over-sugarcoated stuff re SRF that has been dominating the german media for decades because of "german" Queen Silvia is a thing of the past now, and not only because of CG's affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom