The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisma View Post
Would you not have tried to protect your daughter if any photographer trying to squeeze into the room where she undress and tryed out clothes?
I dont understand from the article that he did something anywhere near that. The photographer was outside, trying to take pictures from inside the shop. No big deal for somebody who is being followed by the media for decades and has personal guards.

Dont get me wrong, I do think it was unpleasant but rather unlucky than a case of dangerous harrassment and IMO the comms department of the Swedish court (who have dealt rather amateurish with all sorts of issues in the past) is trying to make use of an unlucky situation to get back some sympathy votes.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is generally being overlooked here that the store where Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine went shopping (allegedly for a birthday present for The King) is 'Beretta' on Madison Avenue - where they have a clothing department as well (mostly men's hunting and leisure clothes), but 'Beretta' is of course best and widely known for guns.
The fact that candid pictures of the two on this occasion would have shown the Queen of Sweden and her daughter 'shopping for a gun' (or whatever other silly captions those pics might have invited) might very well help explain the rather exaggerated-seeming reaction of the Queen and her wish not to have photos taken.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
The fact that candid pictures of the two on this occasion would have shown the Queen of Sweden and her daughter 'shopping for a gun' (or whatever other silly captions those pics might have invited) may very well explain the rather exaggerated-seeming reaction of the Queen and her wish not to have photos taken.
But doesn't excuse them putting blame on the photographer, accuse him of stalking them, making it seem like he was harassing them and making them feel 'cornered', making it seem like it was his fault she fell, and have him compared to a peeping tom. If she didn't want to be seen visiting a gun shop then she should have gone into a gun shop. All that just to make people more sympathetic to the fact that the Queen overreacted and hurt her self on her own.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnana View Post
But doesn't excuse them putting blame on the photographer, accuse him of stalking them,
Don't get me wrong - I absolutely agree that the Court's new spokesperson Ternert handled the matter in a very bad way, with an unnecessarily aggressive attitude and a rather unprofessional, far too detailed wording of the press release.
It's not the first time that he acts undiplomatically and doesn't know when to shut up, unfortunately.
Quote:
If she didn't want to be seen visiting a gun shop then she should have gone into a gun shop.
I think it's almost needless to say that this statement is way too simplicistic... Royals do actually have a right to privacy and a right to protect it.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
But doesn't excuse them putting blame on the photographer, accuse him of stalking them, making it seem like he was harassing them and making them feel 'cornered', making it seem like it was his fault she fell, and have him compared to a peeping tom. If she didn't want to be seen visiting a gun shop then she should have gone into a gun shop. All that just to make people more sympathetic to the fact that the Queen overreacted and hurt her self on her own.
Agree 100%!!! The sugary story of the poor Queen harrassed by the paps while buying a sweet gift for her husband (uh, they are in love again) reads so much better than Queen Silvia buying a gun or hunting equipment for her unfaithful hubby and falling over while trying to outwit the paps and leave unnoticed and the comms people think they are clever to twist the story their way but as so often in the past they are wrong.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I disagree...I'm glad the court gave a thorough detail about the incident and it makes the photographers and its company look bad, not the royal family IMO. I don't care if they were going into a "gun shop" it's not fun being harassed by people who assume they can invade your space any time they choose. The real problem here is not the store or what she's buying for her husband but the paparazzi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnana

Have you ever been around paparazzi? I liken them to wolves and scavengers. It may sound extreme, but they don't care about anyones feelings or space and I totally think they should put the blame on the photographer. The queen is what, almost 70 years old? Give her a break.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
But doesn't excuse them putting blame on the photographer, accuse him of stalking them, making it seem like he was harassing them and making them feel 'cornered', making it seem like it was his fault she fell, and have him compared to a peeping tom.
Agree 100%. There is no evidence that the photographer crossed the line, if he was such a "monster" that they are claiming he is, there'd be already tons of pictures of Queen falling over garbage bag around.
I'm getting fed up with the SRF comm. dep., especially with Terner, he's slowly evolving into a nightmare for SRF, anything he does is just a miss.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Royals do actually have a right to privacy and a right to protect it.
I am not at all trying to say that they don't deserve privacy, because all humans do royal or not, and a person should be able to shop in peace. However in the case what seems to have upset queen was not the fact that someone wanted to take her picture, but rather where they wanted to take the photo (in that store), and had it been a clothing store she wouldn't have been upset enough to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I disagree...I'm glad the court gave a thorough detail about the incident and it makes the photographers and its company look bad, not the royal family IMO. I don't care if they were going into a "gun shop" it's not fun being harassed by people who assume they can invade your space any time they choose. The real problem here is not the store or what she's buying for her husband but the paparazzi.

Have you ever been around paparazzi? I liken them to wolves and scavengers. It may sound extreme, but they don't care about anyone feelings or space and I totally think they should put the blame on the photographer. The queen is what, almost 70 years old? Give her a break.
I agree the paparazzi can be horrible, I've seen videos where there are dozens of them camera lights constantly going off that you can't even that its the late evening because of all the extremely flashing lights. But this was NOT that. This was one photographer. Had it been a pack of them outside the store I would understand, but this was one person with one camera. And if he was/is such a 'scavenger' he would have released the photo, or would have created and released the story to the tabloids before the court's press release, but instead he said nothing to days after the fact. The way the court handles things atrocious, they could have just said she fell on her way out the door and left it at that. But instead the court intentionally and maliciously misinterpreted the situation (at the man's expense) for sympathy for the Queen.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Nobility

Nonsense!

Quote:
It is generally being overlooked here that the store where Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine went shopping (allegedly for a birthday present for The King) is 'Beretta' on Madison Avenue - where they have a clothing department as well (mostly men's hunting and leisure clothes), but 'Beretta' is of course best and widely known for guns.
The fact that candid pictures of the two on this occasion would have shown the Queen of Sweden and her daughter 'shopping for a gun' (or whatever other silly captions those pics might have invited) might very well help explain the rather exaggerated-seeming reaction of the Queen and her wish not to have photos taken.
I disagree with those who try to make the event a small violation of the photographer or the evening newspaper Aftonbladet. It is rare that Aftobladet, usually in exchange for the royal family and warm supporter of the republic apologize to the royal family. But this time they crawl on their knees and in front of the following: "We look very seriously at the incident. The incident will lead to a discussion of how the newspaper watching the royal family. (Statement from Aftonbladet editor Jan Helin).

The hardest thing to understand is that there are women here at TRF who apparently believe that the time when respect for a lady of 67 years is past and that by the media may behave anyway. Perhaps the rule is that only the ladies themselves, here on the forum, will be respectfully considered, it's OK, but the same rule does not apply to not be a 67-year-old queen?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Serene Highness

No one can dispute the fact that Queen Silvia was injured trying to get away from the paparazzi. A wrist wrapped in a bandage and a foot brace with crutches was what her injuries were. I would say those are not minor injuries. When the paparazzi are bent on getting photographs of people, this happens. Others can also get hurt who have nothing to do with the situation. A example would be someone pushed out of the way so that the parparazzi can get a better picture. They need to back off.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karisma View Post
The hardest thing to understand is that there are women here at TRF who apparently believe that the time when respect for a lady of 67 years is past and that by the media may behave anyway. Perhaps the rule is that only the ladies themselves, here on the forum, will be respectfully considered, it's OK, but the same rule does not apply to not be a 67-year-old queen?
I am about as old-fashioned and bent on respect for ladies as possible, but this is just not an issue of gender. I think this whole incident was unfortunate, and I'm sorry Silvia was hurt, and yes she has a right to privacy, but I think this has all been blown way out of proportion. It's not as though the photographer pushed her, accidentally knocked her down, or was so in her face that she stumbled. She was walking quickly to her car so that she wouldn't be photographed shopping somewhere that could have become an issue, and she tripped over some garbage bags. The photographer has been unjustly villified here.

And it's totally unfair to imply that members who disagree on this issue don't respect women.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
I am about as old-fashioned and bent on respect for ladies as possible, but this is just not an issue of gender. I think this whole incident was unfortunate, and I'm sorry Silvia was hurt, and yes she has a right to privacy, but I think this has all been blown way out of proportion. It's not as though the photographer pushed her, accidentally knocked her down, or was so in her face that she stumbled. She was walking quickly to her car so that she wouldn't be photographed shopping somewhere that could have become an issue, and she tripped over some garbage bags. The photographer has been unjustly villified here.

And it's totally unfair to imply that members who disagree on this issue don't respect women.
My intention is not to judge or point the finger at individual members here at TRF. If my post was perceived that way, I really ask the one who feels hit to excuse me.

I believe that you should treat all people as You Yourself wish to be treated. Male or female does not matter. But obviously, it requires greater sensitivity in some cases than in others.

The person who criticized the conduct of the photographers'most powerful's editor in chief of the newspaper Aftonbladet, the employer who hired him.

For my own part, it is most important to discuss the way to behave, etiquette, respect and royal behavior more than other things. If I then, (for example), do not care much about whether a monarch wearing a hat, something more beautiful than anyone else does not mean I do not respect those who wish to discuss this.

Respect has different forms: One form, "Respect", described as an attitude close to fear. For example, being the kind of respect a mariner should have the ocean, or a night wanderer has to street gangs. Another, "Observantia", is the moral form of respect. It means that the object of one's respect by its very existence makes legitimate demands on how to treat it. We believe that this kind of respect historically came later than the first method, first seen on harmless but good people and later for all people. It is "observantia" which alludes when speaking of equal respect for all people. The third form of respect, "Reverentia" denotes the specific sense of awe one has when faced with something extraordinary or sublime. There is a feeling that makes one humble and exalts those who know it. Here we mean that it is this last kind of respect that brought in people who are faced with the moral law and those who live under it.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Royal Highness

http://myroyal-myroyals.blogspot.com...ange-2011.html

Queen looks fabulous!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Serene Highness

Yesterday evening the next official event of Queen Silvia - short time after her visit by Scout Orange 2011 in Den Haag:

"Lilla Akademiens Middag Confidencen Ulriksdal"
Old 04-13-2011, 04:38 AM
Serene Highness

Yesterday evening the queen attend:

"Stockholms läns Blåbandsdistrikts manifestation till förmån för "De glömda barnen" och den nationella kampanjen "Ingen alkohol före 18", Berwaldhallen, Stockholm"
Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Yesterday, April 12, King Carl Gustaf has attended the opening of the forest
industry week and handed out several awards.

** royalcourt.se: Kungen invigde Skogsnäringsveckan ** translation **
Old 04-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Serene Highness

On the cover of DAM-magazine No.16
Svenskdam nr 16 2011
is a picture of queen Silvia and princess Madeleine. Is this pic new (New York?) or an old one? Has anybody read this article?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursulajohanna View Post
On the cover of DAM-magazine No.16
Svenskdam nr 16 2011
is a picture of queen Silvia and princess Madeleine. Is this pic new (New York?) or an old one? Has anybody read this article?
The pic is actually recent, from this last trip to New York; it seems that a photographer took pictures on the street and sold them to AllOverPress.
Here's a different one from that day:

http://img25.imageshack.us/i/12396453ts1302351602827.jpg/
Old 04-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks Boris for your information and link.
Was the pic from the same day of Queen Silvias accident?

But, than I don't understand the reaction of the queen by the other photographer, short time before her accident!

Quote:
The pic is actually recent, from this last trip to New York; it seems that a photographer took pictures on the street and sold them to AllOverPress.
Here's a different one from that day:

http://img25.imageshack.us/i/12396453ts1302351602827.jpg/
Old 04-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursulajohanna View Post
Thanks Boris for your information and link.
Was the pic from the same day of Queen Silvias accident?

But, than I don't understand the reaction of the queen by the other photographer, short time before her accident!
I don't know if the NY street pics were taken before or after the accident; unfortunately I don't have access to AllOverPress, where the date could certainly be checked.

Closed Thread

Tags
current events, king carl gustav, king carl xvi gustav, queen silvia