The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Silvia and Pele:
Daylife

Old 11-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Pics from IBL
Queen Silvia and Pelé, November 18 2008.
http://i38.tinypic.com/1j3o2g.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/243guxi.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/282m4cz.jpg

IBL Gallery

http://www.prismanews.com/spip.php?article4346

Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Courtier

A courageous woman, Queen Silvia !!!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

King Carl Gustav receives Ukraine premier Julia Tymosjenko, 21 November 2008.
IBL
IBL
IBL
IBL
Gallery Prisma
Old 11-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by giov View Post
King Carl Gustav receives Ukraine premier Julia Tymosjenko, 21 November 2008.
IBL
IBL
IBL
IBL
Gallery Prisma
One more pic of Queen Sivia with Henrik Lunqvist and Marcus Schenkenberg at the Waldorf Astoria.
IBL
Gallery Abaca
Mmmm.... Julia Tymosjenko, what a wonderful snow-queen she is!
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 11-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Aristocracy

Here is an interview with the King about music from SvD:

Kungens favoritmusik | Kulturnyheter | SvD
Old 11-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Majesty

News Summary Royalblog.nl: Silvia in fight against exploitation and abuse

Courtesy Royalblog.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Silvia attends the World Congress III Against the Sexual Exploitation of Children opening ceremony in Rio de Janeiro, Tuesday, Nov. 25.
Daylife
Queen Silvia talks with Brazilian First Lady Marisa Leticia da Silva.
Daylife
Queen Silvia with the president of Brazil, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
Daylife
Old 11-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Commoner

"Sexual Exploitation of Children" in Rio de Janeiro, day 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Queen Silvia attends the World Congress III Against the Sexual Exploitation of Children opening ceremony in Rio de Janeiro, Tuesday, Nov. 25.
Daylife
Queen Silvia talks with Brazilian First Lady Marisa Leticia da Silva.
Daylife
Queen Silvia with the president of Brazil, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
Daylife
Day 2: Wednesday, Nov. 26
Imprensa
Old 11-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

My goodness. What a busy calendar the Queen had this month! Rio, London, New York .........She looks splendid in these photos. Who made that red dress she was wearing in New York? She seems to like it a lot.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Silvia has a busy schedule at the moment, and during the congress in Brazil as well; it's a shame that it doesn't attract more media attention in Europe, as it presents a very serious and important topic.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I suppose it does attract attention in Sweden (though I can't read the Swedish press), so I guess that will do. Continental royals seldom attract attention outside their own country, unless they have some private scandals.
Isn't the RF friends with the Persson family (of H&M) btw?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unfortunately, it does not attract much attention in the Swedish press. Queen Silvia is quite popular in Brazil, but that’s not the point here. She lends her voice to an international congress of 3000 participants from 114 countries.
The Swedish minister for social affairs is member of her delegation, and it’s the topic itself which would deserve more recognition. It's not a European Royal matter where some pic in a gossip mag "will do".
An interesting article about the congress here:

“Global shame as children tell of sexploitation”
http://www.bangkokpost.com/281108_News/28Nov2008_news22.php

Old 11-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Boris, I have to agree with Marengo. Serious missions may get a corner in page 4 or 5 but the scandals sell. Queen Siliva as I am sure you remember was pursued relentlessly when she first became Queen then the noise died down. She has been working all those years against child abuse and human trafficing and we only see bits and pieces in the news.
Still once you find out who designed that red gown please pass the information along. It is a stunning outfit.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, but the problem isnīt just, that the press isnīt interested. Of course it is part of the problem, and who had followed the Swedish press for longer may have noted, that they had lost in quality year by year by year since the "internet revolution" They just copy things and mainly follow starlets out of "Farmer seeks wife" and similiar productions.

But itīs also obvious, that the court isnīt interested in promotion at the moment. I guess partly, that is because child abuse, trafficing...thatīs an politicial issue.
Further in Sweden Silvia is supposed to be the regal Queen, and not the charity lady, who would accept a BAMBI and who would shake hands with Miss Teen USA. Itīs obvious, that she prefers herself most of all as charity lady with connections
But I guess apart from her preferences, it wouldnīt be bad, if she would show more "presence" in Sweden also.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Lena I have been following Q Silvia since she was still at the Olympics of 1976. At the beginning it was a frenzy when she went from a mere mortal to a Queen in one morning. Then it was while everyone was expecting an announcement, the birth of the babies and then little by little others came on the scene, a bit more flamboyant or newsworthy and she was sort of faded in the background.
I would have loved it, if her work is spoken about as much as other Queens' work. Perhaps not on every magazine cover but once in a while to laud her for her efforts and achievements.
I understand she will be 65 this December and perhaps she herself is getting a bit tired or wants to pass the torch to her children. Still.......it is nostalgia of the good old times I guess.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, and I guess thatīs the normal way. Firstly you are the best thing, since sliced bread...and later not more than some dry piece of bread starting to get covered with mold
Even Victoria is slowly affected by that (though it might be an in-between thing in her case)
IMO she isnīt the least covered of the Queen consorts. Iīd say the interest around Paola is even smaller.

Maybe things would change a little with grandchildren (here we go again ) Maybe she would then self feel more at home in Sweden again.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

While far from being really popular (no European monarchy apeart from the British is), as far as the US are concerned Queen Silvia is much better known than Queen Consorts like Paola and Sonja, for example.
The Swedish community in the Us is quite active, in the course of the years Silvia has appeared a few times on shows like ‘Good Morning, America’ promoting her charities, and the fact that ‘People Magazine’ put her on their list of ‘The 50 most beautiful people in the world’ about ten years ago also signaled that the public actually knows who she is.
I’d say it might be a conscious choice that she is acting more high profile on an international level than in Sweden. While King Carl Gustaf has managed to achieve a better image during the past few years, he was universally regarded as totally bland before, constantly outshone by the Queen who ‘saved the monarchy’ image-wise in the first place, back in the late 1970s.
I can imagine that carving out her niche abroad rather than at home is connected to her (or the Royal Court’s…) wish not to diminish her husband’s standing by comparison.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I can imagine that carving out her niche abroad rather than at home is connected to her (or the Royal Court’s…) wish not to diminish her husband’s standing by comparison.
Might be, that this is part of her decisions.
But such noble attitude as only reason? You have seen the dresses, her hanging out with the who-is-who of the German and US-American society.
Surely hub might be in her mind, surely the poor children, she is helping also, but only that...naaaa
Old 11-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, I'm perfectly sure that besides all honorable motives and real achievements in her humanitarian work, Queen Silvia does not only love the glitz & glam but has always been a very ambitious lady too...
...and needs an outlet for this kind of personality. Just traveling around Swedish provinces in tradional costume garb won't always do.

Tags
current events, king carl gustav, king carl xvi gustav, queen silvia, silvia