King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 4: Oct 2005 - July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you purple_platinum and mandyy for the photos. I agree with Dennism in saying this photo is great: http://img127.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=71423_2434530.jpg And I also love this photo: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230270&d=1140970962 It looks really pretty with the snow falling. I tell you what, a lot of these photos could have some really good captions attached to them. In this one it looks like he's devising a battle plan and telling Carl Philip. Hmm, maybe not.

Dennism said:
I like the one where he is having his photo taken. That's Anna Svärd who was on the gold-medal curling team on the left.

http://img146.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=71439_2434632.jpg
I love this photo too.

I personally rank the curling gold very high. The last stone was so exciting and absolutely horrifying. I had to go and cook coffee as Anette Norberg prepared herself, I was so nervous.

I'm also very happy for Anna Carin Olofsson. So cool to be able to make these shots with only one missed one. One thing that struck me with the medal ceremony was the fact that the Germans (Wilhelm and Disl) looked so happy like they were saying 'we're all the winners'.

(Sometimes runners-up look like real losers).

The King also hugged the German medalists.

It says in an article today that Anna Svärd and Anna Karin Olofsson were childhood friends, they grew up in the same street in a smalltown called Sveg.

Expressen today tells us that the Government contacted the King yesterday to inform him of the situation and what is going to take place concerning the discovery of the deadly bird flu virus H5N1 in Sweden this past week. On Friday, Government officials will hold a briefing for the King. He received the first information on Tuesday.

The King’s staff is also closely following the developments, taking part of all reports that come from the (now restricted) area where the virus has been discovered.
- The King is very interested in what’s now happening, the Marshall of The Realm, Ingemar Eliasson, commented to Expressen.

Yesterday morning the Marshal of The Realm informed the King on the latest developments. But already a month ago, after the bird flu virus was found on the German island of Rügen, the King ordered his Chief of Staff, Frank Rosenius, to monitor this issue.
- Rosenius is our contact man towards the authorities and now has some well worked channels, says the Marshal of The Realm.

The King is one of the key figures who will receive the vaccine Tamiflu if the virus would spread from human to human. According to Expressen, the medicine is already kept in store for the King.
- We rely on the Physician-in-ordinary to the King. He has this responsibility, says the Marshall of The Realm.

A visit to Oskarshamn, the city where the H5N1 virus was discovered this week, is not on the agenda for the King at this present time.
- Since it’s a restricted area it hasn’t been on the table. It would be highly unsuitable to visit the place right now, says the Marshal of The Realm.

http://expressen.se/index.jsp?a=537360

Im so glad to see that the king and prince were able to have a good time with each other, a little "father-son bonding".

Has there been any deaths related to the bird flu, how was it found?

Yesterday the King went on a whole day visit to two municipalities in the Västra Götaland County.

Tibro – the furniture-making centre of Sweden, the “wood country”

This municipality is the hub of furniture making in Sweden, there are between 70 and 80 furniture making companies there, bringing new thinking and traditions on to the future.

Pictures by the municipality of Tibro's website:

snickart15sa.jpg

After welcoming speeches by the County Governor (to the left) and the municipality leader (yellow tie) the first stop on the visit to Tibro was to Snickarteatern (the Carpentry Theatre) were the entourage had coffee, enjoyed a piece from the play “Pinocchio” and got a historic presentation of the municipality as a furniture centre.

ire18uf.jpg

The next stop was to the company Ire Möbel (Ire Furniture) where the King received this chair, “Viper”, as a gift

city18qs.jpg

Then they went on to City Möbler (City Furniture) where the King followed the production chain and learn how Gustavian pieces of furniture are produced

offecct18vo.jpg

The last company visit in Tibro went to Offecct

lunch13ue.jpg

The visit to Tibro was ended with a luncheon at Offecct, where the King sat in the “Metro chair” which Princess Madeleine has contributed to the design of (the chair is designed by Thomas Sandell, a famous Swedish architect, but Princess Madeleine contributed to the design when she interned at his firm a few years ago)

060302hmktibro280233tomasharry.jpg

(this picture is from the Royal Court's website)

Karlsborg - "Sweden's reserve capital"

In the afternoon, the King went on to visit the neighbouring municipality of Karlsborg which advertises itself as “Sweden’s reserve capital” as it’s the home of the mighty and impressive Karlsborg Fortress which was once a key in Sweden’s defence, and the planned refuge of the Royal Family and Government in case of war or worrying times.

The visit begun with a presentation of the municipality in a historic and present view, after which the King and his entourage went on to visit the site where ambulance drivers and police dogs.

Pictures by the municipality of Karlsborg's website:

robby86 said:
Has there been any deaths related to the bird flu, how was it found?

No only some birds. They found some dead birds on the ground and run tests of them, and the authorothies has been on high alert since they found the virus in Germany. It´s still a very small outbreak of the virus

If the virus starts to spread from human to human, then we have a problem. But as long as it stays the way it is today its almost impossible for a "normal" person to get it. Unless you have close contact with dead or infected animals, and I dont think many swedes have that, its a small risk of getting it

Were there any pictures from the closing Ceremony with the King and CP

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia skiing today in Granada (Spain)
Face to Face

Last edited:
Thanks for the lovely pictures of the queen and king in Granada!

Adry said:
King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia skiing today in Granada (Spain)
Face to Face

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, how nice to see them skiing togehter again! Its been a while :)

I would like to thank you, too, Adry, for posting the nice pics. It is good to see the Queen again after the tragic death of her brother.
Hope they will enjoy their stay in Spain!

from wireimage :

Swedish Royals on Skiing Holiday at the Sierra Nevada Ski Station - March 7, 2006
March 8, 2006 - Sierra Nevada Ski Station
Granada, Spain

How exciting they went to Tibro.
I just got a new kitchen which is manufactured in Tibro.

Nice pictures from Spain.

In Aftonbladet they mention this week the King and Silvia are in Sierra Nevada. It says Silvia is taking some rest to mourn her late brother.

Sierra Nevada is a ski resort in the south of Spain. You can see over to Morocco on a bright day. Perfect for skiing and tanning !!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,789875,00.html

Last edited:
And some pictures of the King and Queen in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Spain, from Stella Pictures via Expressen

Purple platinum, thanks for the nice pictures from skiing holiday in Spain.

But I hope we will see next week more pictures of the queen from official events!

ursulajohanna said:
Purple platinum, thanks for the nice pictures from skiing holiday in Spain.

But I hope we will see next week more pictures of the queen from official events!
my pleasure, ursulajohanna. i hope we see the Queen as well, as soon as she recovered from her mourning period..

http://www.hola.com/abonados/casasreales/2006/03/10/reyes-suecia/?auth=yes

Carl Gustav and Silvia of Sweden have spent four days in Sierra Nevada. Although many people have wanted to see in this "winter escape" an introduction to a key celebration (in June the couple turns thirty years of marriage) the Queen has denied it. These are merely four days of rest, in company of friends.

Independently of the reason (others aim that they are concentrating energies to celebrate by the sixtieth birthday of the Monarch, in April), the fact is thatis that it was possible to be seen them happy and very smiling, with a group of friends, enjoying the snow and the zone.

The King’s sixtieth birthday guest has not been revealed yet, but Government and Chiefs of State, legislators and outstanding businessmen, along with the citizens, will probably be all gathered in Stockholm. In 1996, when the Monarch turned fifty years old, more than ten thousand people wanted to personally congratulate the King and went to the outside of Palace to show their affection to him. According to Nina Eldh, for this occasion, at least the same number of people is expected. The celebrations of the birthday will begin with a religious service in the cathedral of the Swedish capital, followed by a change of the guard in the palace and a lunch in the Town Hall of Stockholm. At night, the Kings will attend a concert in the throne’s hall of the Palace, followed by a gala dinner.

Then, in June, the thirtieth wedding anniversary of the Monarchs will fill again the streets of Stockholm with joy. On this occasion, the Royal Palace will lodge a peculiar exhibition showing all the gala dresses so far worn by Queen Silvia, at the ceremonies of the Nobel Prize. It will be a total of twenty-nine gowns, since the Queen wasn’t able to attend the most important acts of this Scandinavian kingdom in 1980, due to health problems.

Attachments

• suecia1a.jpg
    suecia1a.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 217
  • suecia3a.jpg
    suecia3a.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 210
The Kings of Sweden visit the Alhambra of Granada

Carlos Gustavo and Silvia of Sweden continues their days of rest in Granada. The monarchs are in our country of vacations, altogether are going to spend four days, of which they have skied in Sierra Nevada and also they have visited east Saturday the granadina Alhambra. King Gustavo next to their wife Reina Silvia crossed the stays and gardens of the Palace, among them the Patio of the Lions, as we see in the image.

from terra

Attachments

• 720798414a696g.jpg
    720798414a696g.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 720798414ae04g.jpg
    720798414ae04g.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Kings in Casa de Sacromonte, Granada

from seeger

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 237
fanletizia, thanks for posting the nice picture from the king and queen in Granada.

I hope they have a beautiful end of there holiday by wine at saturday evening!

Here are two pictures from the article that the magazine Gringo had about the Queen a while ago. They are both scanned by me and taken by Gringo's editorial photographer.

Last edited:
Summary of an Aftonbladet article today...

The King asks for larger funding allocations from the State

In preparations for the coming ”spring budget” that will be presented by the Government in April, the Royal Court have sent in their documentation to The Ministry of Finance before the settlement of their funding allocations in the coming budgets.

For next year, the Royal Court is asking for 12 million SEK more than in the previous budget, from the present 97,5 million SEK to 109,6 million SEK, and then following increases in the coming budgets.

The Royal Court is asking for more money for various reasons, one major issue being their wish to increase the security at the Royal Palace, a total of 4,7 million SEK is asked for in order to install a “security arch” of the same type one can find at airports, which would register any metal objects and eventual guns or other weapons that visitors could carry.
- It doesn’t have to be shooting weapons, it could be knives and other things, says Super Intendent Bengt Telland to Aftonbladet.

Another increasing post in the Royal Court’s budget is the cost of Crown Princess Victoria. In the documentation they write: “The Crown Princess’ increasing commitments in the duties of the Head of State brings increased costs for planning, office service, transports, security, information etc”.

- With this we want to show that the costs are rising, says the Marshal of The Realm.

The Royal Court is asking for the following sums for funding allocations from the State in the coming years:

2007: 109 618 000 million SEK
2008: 110 842 000 million SEK
2009: 113 616 000 million SEK

(*1 million SEK = 125 675,51 USD and 105 025,47 EUR)

# The full article (in Swedish) can be found here.

GrandDuchess said:
Here are two pictures from the article that the magazine Gringo had about the Queen a while ago. They are both scanned by me and taken by Gringo's editorial photographer.

those photos are awful! especially the first one... not flattering at all :)

the queen can look amazingly beautiful, but this time... not so much

but thanks for posting them!

The Queen will serve as the official protector of the 19th European Athletics Championships 2006 to be held in Gothenburg 6-13 August. I hope we will get to see some members of the Royal Family there to watch the competitions!

The Queen is Honorary Chairman of The Swedish Athletic Association.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom