The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was a very good speech. He touched on many issues even ones that didnt affect sweden. It was very nice. Is it only broadcast on the radios and not on the TV?

Old 12-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
It was a very good speech. He touched on many issues even ones that didnt affect sweden. It was very nice. Is it only broadcast on the radios and not on the TV?
Yes, unfortunately it's only broadcasted on national radio and not on television. It's too bad really, I'd love to watch it on television on Christmas Day, and I'm sure it could become a great tradition in many families. I think they only do it on radio because that's just how it always has been, a tradition...

Old 12-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Serene Highness

I have always seen a copy of QEII's Christmas Speeches in the newspapers but I have not seen any of the other speeches until I joined this forum. It is interesting to print and read all of them. Although this year I don't detect a "theme" among all the speeches, last year quite a few of them talked about the issue of tolerating immigrants which made me wonder if they ever discuss ideas that need reinforcement by royalty within each country. I really enjoy reading all of them to gain some understanding of what the issues are from where they "stand".
Old 12-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Thanks for the translation of the King's speech GrandDuchess.

Is the King an environmentalist? His speech strikes me as coming from someone who is very concerned about the effects of nature and preservation of our natural spaces and ecoculture.

I was very impressed by how his speech touched on Hurricane Katrina -- were many Swedes affected by this devastation? If not, it seems very considerate that the King would touch on something that was so far removed from the lives of his citizens. What a good King he is!
I believe he wasn't talking about Katrina but about the tsunami that destroyed a large part of Thailand, Sweden was the country with the most casualties (apart from Thailand itself of course) and I think the King wanted to remember them a year from the tragedy
Old 12-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
I believe he wasn't talking about Katrina but about the tsunami that destroyed a large part of Thailand, Sweden was the country with the most casualties (apart from Thailand itself of course) and I think the King wanted to remember them a year from the tragedy
Yes, you are right. The tsunami had a devastating effect on the Swedish psyche this past year. Politicians were criticized and many people were affected by it either personally or from a national standpoint. Sweden had the biggest lost of any country outside of the area and because of its small population, the effect was even greater.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Last year, after mine and my family’s visit to the Drottningholm Palace Chapel on Christmas Day, I as usual had the opportunity to send You a Christmas wish via radio. My words, with a wish for a good and happy future, now, afterwards, seem empty and hollow. Because already then, far out in the Indian Ocean, an earthquake had started the fatal flood which would batter all possibilities for a bright future for hundreds of thousands of people.
Boxing Day last year, the day when so many lives where taken before the intended time, when houses, homes and great areas of nature where destroyed. Not following any (wicked) deed, but following the forces of nature, over which we people have no power.
One year has passed, but we never forget the catastrophe that took place on the other side of the globe and which came to affect also our country so hard.
It is my devout hope that all of Your whom are having a difficult time, will feel hope in an existence where You find it possible to life and be, an existence which can also offer some amount of joy and harmony. We are many whom are with you in your thoughts and prayers.
i like this part of the King's speech.
i think he did a great speech, touching some core issues.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum
i like this part of the King's speech.
i think he did a great speech, touching some core issues.
Yes, indeed. It was the right speech for the time and the situation. Bravo to the King!:)
Old 12-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Aristocracy

I think the king meant that even though Swedes weren't hurt or killed in Hurricane Katrina or the Earthquakes in India or Pakistan but watching this disaster happen to others, it affects you in an emotional sense maybe not in the Physical sense, to see people dying or injuried in such an event is very sad and emotional even if your not been physically affected by it. Even the greatest leader of the world can feel sadness in a tragical event occuring to others.

The London bombings, the War in Iraq, the war in Afghanstan, earthquakes, hurricanes, seeing things like this can make a grown man cry and feel for thoses people who are in those areas or who have lost loved ones.

But great Speech and sometimes i wish Kings or Queens should acutally rule a country than a President or Prime Minister. For their Voice to make a difference in what is happening around the world and in their own country.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
The emphasis was on the tsunami yes, but he also mentioned the hurricane Katrina, the storm Gudrun in Sweden and the earthquake in Pakistan. All of which have touched the hearts and made the emotions run high of the Swedish people.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRedDevils
But great Speech and sometimes i wish Kings or Queens should acutally rule a country than a President or Prime Minister. For their Voice to make a difference in what is happening around the world and in their own country.
A voice that is void of politics and having such things even considered would indeed be the best thing in a time of crisis or a time of mourning to bring a nation together.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Heir Apparent

My translaton of a press release from the Royal Court:

11 January 2006

Statement by H.M. The King after the notice of Birgit Nilsson’s passing

With Birgit Nilsson’s passing, Sweden has lost one of its greatest artists. The one who has had the benefit of experiencing her both on stage and in private will never forget it, not the least her warm sense of humour. Thanks to innumerable recordings, her songs are also kept for the world after her.

It is with great gratitude we remember her and her song.

CARL GUSTAF

My comment: I was personally very saddened to hear of her passing. Though I’m a generation to young to have experienced her in her golden years, La Nilsson (as she’s called in the opera world) has always touched my heart with her singing and her warm personality. I loved her voice, and she was such an incredible opera singer on stage – she really reached out to everyone, even me who has only seen her on TV. Last year I also saw an old TV interview with her from the 1960’s I think it was, and her personality was so vibrant and warm, everyone just had to love her. La Nilsson held the honorary "title" of Court Singer.

Sweden has lost a national treasure. May she rest in peace.

The picture is scanned from an old issue of Expressen
Old 01-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRedDevils
I couldn't agree more.

When I see the Swedish prime minister on TV with his pompous style I usually think of him as a majesty in his own little kingdom.

His Pompous Majesty Göran Persson could be replaced ANY DAY by Carl Gustaf or Victoria. Or at least some key duties could be trusted with the monarch instead of a politician.

There's too much prestige and disagreeing among politicians. Someone ought to ''spank'' them from time to time, remind them that they are elected because people trust them to deal with big issues.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneborn
I couldn't agree more.

When I see the Swedish prime minister on TV with his pompous style I usually think of him as a majesty in his own little kingdom.

His Pompous Majesty Göran Persson could be replaced ANY DAY by Carl Gustaf or Victoria. Or at least some key duties could be trusted with the monarch instead of a politician.

There's too much prestige and disagreeing among politicians. Someone ought to ''spank'' them from time to time, remind them that they are elected because people trust them to deal with big issues.
His Majesty, king Göran...sounds wonderful. His heavy pompous body in a coat of ermine, a crown padded with velvet, and a lackey serving him permanently cheese snacks...I can see it

I think you have to change some words "Garl Gustaf and Victoria could be replaced ANY DAY by Göran Persson". It wouldn´t be a big step from a prime minister to a president (similar to the systems in France or the USA)
And when you talk about competence, I also don´t see the king or the crown princess as politicians. For that it takes more than to smile a little and to say "I love children & animals"...to take children and animals as example for political work:When you want to protect animals, you have to punish the ppl, who produce cheap food & products by taking advantage of animals. Through that the prizes go up and ppl will complain. When you want to do something for the education & health of children you have to take the money from anywhere else and then you make minus points at the groups, where you have taken money from. When a catastrophe happens you are as politican the boo-man, because you haven´t tried to avoid it by investing money. When a catastrophe happens, you are as Royal the star, because you seem to share their feelings.
Lately I spotted this poll on TV4 (The question: who should be the first female prime minister) I thought immediately: Do the Swedes, who participated in this poll have an IQ of 75?? Victoria in the second place, while other women, who really deal with politics are far back. Do these ppl really think, Victoria could be the highest ranked politician in Sweden?? Victoria, who shows no substance in interviews and who has learnt to talk about sugar things and the ideal world. Victoria would not manage* it and Sweden would lose a term in office to an experiment. The political world is hard and not fun, you can hardly always win. Yes, a lot of the politicians think about their own interests and are ppl, who really need attention. But at least you have ones, who do the job. Yes, a democracy is unfair, but it is the fairest way of governing.

*When she would do it alone. With the right advisors also actors can do political work.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dropper omstridt opera
Det svenske kongeparet sa først ja, men ombestemte seg etter samtaler med Olof Palmes familie.........
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/ko...cle1197458.ece

Can someone help translate this article? Thx
Old 01-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyy
Dropper omstridt opera
Det svenske kongeparet sa først ja, men ombestemte seg etter samtaler med Olof Palmes familie.........
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/ko...cle1197458.ece

Can someone help translate this article? Thx
Its about that the royal couple first said yes to attend the opera "Maskeradbalen" by Verdi at the Malmö Opera but later changed their minds after hearing that they changed the person who will be murdered, from king Gustav III to the prime minister (= refering to swedish primeminister Olof Palme who was murdered in Stockholm 1986)

The royal court talked to the Palme family and after that they decided to pull out of the concert, because of a "change of plans"
Old 01-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

From Expatica:

German expat named Sweden's 'top immigrant'

STOCKHOLM - German-born Queen Silvia has been named number one immigrant in Sweden, a Swedish-language magazine written and produced mainly by second generation immigrants said Tuesday.

Queen Silvia was asked if she felt Swedish, and said she did. "It is like when you are expecting another child. Your expectations are high and you wonder if there is room enough to love the child as much. When you have the third child it shows that you can love that too, and that is how I feel about Brazil, Germany and Sweden."

Full story here.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
I think you have to change some words "Garl Gustaf and Victoria could be replaced ANY DAY by Göran Persson". It wouldn´t be a big step from a prime minister to a president (similar to the systems in France or the USA)
And when you talk about competence, I also don´t see the king or the crown princess as politicians. For that it takes more than to smile a little and to say "I love children & animals"...to take children and animals as example for political work:When you want to protect animals, you have to punish the ppl, who produce cheap food & products by taking advantage of animals. Through that the prizes go up and ppl will complain. When you want to do something for the education & health of children you have to take the money from anywhere else and then you make minus points at the groups, where you have taken money from. When a catastrophe happens you are as politican the boo-man, because you haven´t tried to avoid it by investing money. When a catastrophe happens, you are as Royal the star, because you seem to share their feelings.
Lately I spotted this poll on TV4 (The question: who should be the first female prime minister) I thought immediately: Do the Swedes, who participated in this poll have an IQ of 75?? Victoria in the second place, while other women, who really deal with politics are far back. Do these ppl really think, Victoria could be the highest ranked politician in Sweden?? Victoria, who shows no substance in interviews and who has learnt to talk about sugar things and the ideal world. Victoria would not manage* it and Sweden would lose a term in office to an experiment. The political world is hard and not fun, you can hardly always win. Yes, a lot of the politicians think about their own interests and are ppl, who really need attention. But at least you have ones, who do the job. Yes, a democracy is unfair, but it is the fairest way of governing.

*When she would do it alone. With the right advisors also actors can do political work.
Read my lips; :p
His Pompous Majesty Göran Persson could never, NEVER, never replace the King or Victoria.

If the Swedish people think so highly of Victoria's political skills it says more about the current state of politics in Sweden than it says about Victoria.

Swedish politics these days (after Olof Palme, Carl Bildt and Ingvar Carlsson) are too much about personal prestige and power hunger and the only people who survive in this circus are those who never use their conscience and have a teflon memory. What happened to make the world a better place and working to make conditions easier for fellow citizens

Personally, I don't think I would think of Victoria as a prime minister, maybe as president, but I suppose she came in second (who was no# 1 ??) because she is considered to stand above personal prestige and power hunger and she has personal integrity and her way of talking levels with the people.

Besides I don't think Victoria herself aspires for the prime minister job.

But - it doesn't take a physic to realise that Mr. Persson absolutely drooooowls to get the president job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
His Majesty, king Göran...sounds wonderful. His heavy pompous body in a coat of ermine, a crown padded with velvet, and a lackey serving him permanently cheese snacks...I can see it
Oh, I'm sure it's not just YOUR dream. I can so easily imagine when Göran and his precious Anita ''rehearse'' this when they're spending their weekends at their countryside mansion. (Why do you think he's so fat anyway )
Old 01-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneborn
Oh, I'm sure it's not just YOUR dream. I can so easily imagine when Göran and his precious Anita ''rehearse'' this when they're spending their weekends at their countryside mansion. (Why do you think he's so fat anyway )
lol! yeah i think he'd enjoy being king very much and would take to the luxury with great ease.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If the Swedish people think so highly of Victoria's political skills it says more about the current state of politics in Sweden than it says about Victoria.

Swedish politics these days (after Olof Palme, Carl Bildt and Ingvar Carlsson) are too much about personal prestige and power hunger and the only people who survive in this circus are those who never use their conscience and have a teflon memory. What happened to make the world a better place and working to make conditions easier for fellow citizens
I think it´s funny, how Sweden is always shown as an example for peace, wealth, social justice, a well balanced household, job market, school system, pension scheme etc. pp. in politicial discussions here. But who nags? The Swedes. When I´ve learnt one thing from watching the Swedish Royal family and therefore also the Swedes, then it is, that no ppl can nag like Swedes (one would mean, I´m a born Swede )
The politicans are power-hungry, so what. As long as things run, don´t complain.
This better world thing is something for the dustbin. Woolgathering of some ppl, who have changed their opinions today. This doesn´t mean, that one should not try it. But you will never get the whole thing done. Not as long as you work with human beings and as long as you govern human beings.

Quote:
Personally, I don't think I would think of Victoria as a prime minister, maybe as president, but I suppose she came in second (who was no# 1 ??) becau se she is considered to stand above personal prestige and power hunger and she has personal integrity and her way of talking levels with the people.
Margot Wallström...working far away for this abstract something called EU
Well, how should Vickan be power-hungry? She got a place as head of state promised with the first cry, she did
I think things would be a lot more different, when they would take her all money, privileges and the title away. I´m pretty sure, the other day a person called "Victoria Bernadotte" would try to get into the EU or UN One can see that quite good with all the exile-Royals...they never seem to accept, that their glory days are over.

Quote:

(Why do you think he's so fat anyway )
Because he loves cheese snacks and does a nap or two in between He said that in an interview. It was nearly as interesting as his long and broad descriptions of the pain in his hips ( I had to think at once of Victoria and her long and broad description about her dyslexia...here we go again Swedes=nags :p )
Old 01-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Aristocracy

Lena > I think you are a little disturbed with the thought of our future Queen Victoria and princely consort Daniel Westling, am I right ??

Just as I am with His Pompous Majesty Göran Persson

I'm not sure if we're allowed to have a political discussion here so for now I think we better leave it there, okay

Tags
carl gustav, current events, king carl xvi gustav, queen silvia, silvia