King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 4: Oct 2005 - July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
King Carl XVI Gustaf, left, receives Bulgarian Prime Minister Sergei Stanishev, right, at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden, on Tuesday Dec. 6, 2005. Stanishev is on an official visit to Sweden.

from polfoto

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 293
Today the King visited the Defence's international exercise "Viking 05" at the Life Guards in Kungsängen and the Regiment of Uppland in Enköping. "Viking 05" is a multi national exercise aiming at practicing the leadership of peacekeeping operations. 2 000 officers from 25 countries are taking part.

1: Colonel Reiter August from Austria, reporting on the civilian co-operation during the exercise, talking to the King. Picture by Andreas Karlsson from the Defence’s picture agency, 2: the King. Picture by Carina Wrangberth from the Life Guards, 3: the King together with General Anders Lindström. Picture by Carina Wrangberth from the Life Guards, 4: the King with Mr Johan Goossens from Canada, picture by Carina Wrangberth from the Life Guards, 5: the King together with the Commander of the Uppland Regiment, Colonel Mats Blom. Picture by Ulf K Rask from the Defence’s picture agency

Attachments

• Viking 05, 9 December 2005, Andreas Karlsson FBB.jpg
    Viking 05, 9 December 2005, Andreas Karlsson FBB.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 307
  • Viking 05, 9 December 2005, Carina Wrangberth, LG.jpg
    Viking 05, 9 December 2005, Carina Wrangberth, LG.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Viking 05, 9 December 2005, LG Carina Wrangberth2.jpg
    Viking 05, 9 December 2005, LG Carina Wrangberth2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 279
  • Viking 05, 9 December 2005, LG Carina Wrangberth3.jpg
    Viking 05, 9 December 2005, LG Carina Wrangberth3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 376
  • Viking 05, 9 December 2005, Ulf K Rask, FBB.jpg
    Viking 05, 9 December 2005, Ulf K Rask, FBB.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Translation of a press release from the Royal Court:

9 December 2005

H.M. The King expresses sorrow after the notice that another Swedish soldier has passed following injuries from the attack in Afghanistan

It is with deep sorrow that I have received the notice that another Swedish soldier has passed following the injuries caught after the attack on 25 November in Afghanistan, during his service in the international peacekeeping force ISAF.

Mine and my family’s thoughts go to the family.

CARL GUSTAF.

http://www.royalcourt.se/ovrigt/pressrum/pressmeddelande/5.396c7107359daaf480007784.html

Yesterday the King was in Dalarna County to award the "Swedish Quality" prize to the company Stora Enso Fors, which is Stora Enso's mill near Avesta.

Picture one is by Dalarnas Tidningar, the rest are by Johnny Fredborg and Dalademokraten.

Attachments

• Svensk Kvalitet 2005, Stora Enso Fors, 16 dec 2005.jpg
    Svensk Kvalitet 2005, Stora Enso Fors, 16 dec 2005.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 343
  • Svensk Kvalitet 2005, Stora Enso Fors, 16 dec 2005_2.jpg
    Svensk Kvalitet 2005, Stora Enso Fors, 16 dec 2005_2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 237
  • Svensk Kvalitet 2005, Stora Enso Fors, 16 dec 2005_3.jpg
    Svensk Kvalitet 2005, Stora Enso Fors, 16 dec 2005_3.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Svensk Kvalitet 2005, Stora Enso Fors, 16 dec 2005_4.jpg
    Svensk Kvalitet 2005, Stora Enso Fors, 16 dec 2005_4.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 267
Do you know whether the king award the "kungs medalj" to Biathletin Magdalena Forsberg at the last years? Do you see pictures from the event?

The Queen is on the cover of the swedish magazine Gringo. The headline is: Swedens number one wog... interesting choice of word I must say. Very effective...

photo from aftonbladet

Attachments

• gringo.jpg
    gringo.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 295
I'm confused about the wog thing too - In Australia we use it as a (mainly) derogatory term towards Greek people. But I thought Silvia was from Argentiana?

Do the Swedes use it as a term for foreigners? Is it derogatory at all? :confused:

I did a google search, thinking I would come up with nothing as I don't know Swedish but I found this (both in English) :

http://www.svartskalle.com/

http://www.svartskalle.org

So it appears that 'svartskalle' is a term for foreigners/intergration. It doesn't appear to be derogatory or racist or anything - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Today I learnt something new about Swedes :)

Last edited by a moderator:
trippc said:
I did a google search, thinking I would come up with nothing as I don't know Swedish but I found this (both in English) :

http://www.svartskalle.com/

http://www.svartskalle.org

So it appears that 'svartskalle' is a term for foreigners/intergration. It doesn't appear to be derogatory or racist or anything - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Today I learnt something new about Swedes :)
I looked it up on www.ne.se and when I searched for "svartskalle" the word wog came up.
But I had never heard that word before.
In swedish the word "svartskalle" (direct translation= black head) is a negative and racist word. But, it can also be used in the opposite way, like it was in the article, in a more "power" way...

if you know what I mean :)

Yennie said:
I looked it up on www.ne.se and when I searched for "svartskalle" the word wog came up.
But I had never heard that word before.
In swedish the word "svartskalle" (direct translation= black head) is a negative and racist word. But, it can also be used in the opposite way, like it was in the article, in a more "power" way...

if you know what I mean :)

So would the word be more commonly used in a negative way? I find this really interesting, that a word can have 2 very emotive, but totally different, meanings. So, have 'foreigners' and pro-multiculturalist people taken a negative word (that is used against people) and turned it into their catch phrase?

And obviously it would be very unusual for a magazine to have the word on their front cover, let alone use it towards the Queen? So they are just calling her majesty a foreigner, not a derogatory term? Or is it more like, she is pro-multiculturalism?

So, have 'foreigners' and pro-multiculturalist people taken a negative word (that is used against people) and turned it into their catch phrase?
exactly! I think the same thing has happend with some words about homosexuals, that before was negative but has now been "taken over" by themself and therefore its no longer a negative word

I think the words svartskalle in swedish and ****** in english can be compared....?

About Silvia, she is in fact a "svartskalle", and if she hadn´t been queen I´m sure she would have had to put up with negative and racist remarks like that. The sad reality of today

Yennie, thanks for the cover picture from Gringo-magazine. Is this an old picture? The queen has "short" hair, and the jacket has she wear at 2003.

When and by which event did the picture made, do you know?

trippc said:
And obviously it would be very unusual for a magazine to have the word on their front cover, let alone use it towards the Queen? So they are just calling her majesty a foreigner, not a derogatory term? Or is it more like, she is pro-multiculturalism?
Well the magazine Gringo is not your normal glossy magazine - it was started by Zanyar Adami, an immigrant, who wanted to give a voice to those who aren't always heard in the traditional media. Gringo has become a huge success in a very short time, and they just keep expanding. The founder and owner of the company that runs Gringo, Zanyar Adami, won the prize as "the renewer of the year" at the annual "Great Journalist Prize" gala. The magazine's catchphrase is "Sweden's most Swedish magazine, jao", hence their turn to bringing up issues which aren't really given room in the normal media.

Gringo is using the word "svartskalle" as a positive, power word. Just as many young immigrants do today; they have taken the word away from racists and turned it into their own word, and now they've kinda changed the meaning of it for themselves. But the word still exists in the negative way, but not in the same extent it used too.

I think it's a great and very unusual turn they take in putting the Queen on the cover (and I guess she's granted them an interview too since she's on the cover) and labelling her as "svartskalle" in the positive way. This will give another kick at racists.

the word "svartskalle" is very negative... whenever a swede or a "nordic" looking person use it...we cant use it without being labeled as racists at the very same second...i cant think of many swedes i know who'd actually use it..its one of those words we swedish/nordic looking ppl just wont use...(unless they actually are racists..) but when immigrants use it..its a powerword..i guess its a bit like "black" or "******" in america...

I'm not black, but I can't stand the use of the word ******, but a lot of the African American rappers are using it in their lyrics now, so I guess svartskalle is being used in a similar way.

Thanks for all the information!

And Happy Birthday Queen Silvia!:D

Today the King held his traditional Christmas speech, broadcasted from the Royal Palace of Stockholm. As there is no official English version of the speech, here it is translated by me:

His Majesty The King’s Christmas Speech 2005

jultal200533mv.jpg

Picture by Johan Ljungström/Swedish Radio

Dear Swedes, at home and abroad

At this time of year, many of us think about the year that has passed – what has happened, what we have done and what we have not had the time to do. For my own part, it often strikes me how much unexpected things happens, both in the little and big world; things which none could predict.

Despite this, we put down a lot of work in trying to predict what will happen, especially when it comes to economics, politics, climate- and development issues. And of course it is important that we plan as best we can to meet the future, at the same time as we must accept that we know near to nothing about tomorrow.

Last year, after mine and my family’s visit to the Drottningholm Palace Chapel on Christmas Day, I as usual had the opportunity to send You a Christmas wish via radio. My words, with a wish for a good and happy future, now, afterwards, seem empty and hollow. Because already then, far out in the Indian Ocean, an earthquake had started the fatal flood which would batter all possibilities for a bright future for hundreds of thousands of people.

Boxing Day last year, the day when so many lives where taken before the intended time, when houses, homes and great areas of nature where destroyed. Not following any (wicked) deed, but following the forces of nature, over which we people have no power.

One year has passed, but we never forget the catastrophe that took place on the other side of the globe and which came to affect also our country so hard.

It is my devout hope that all of Your whom are having a difficult time, will feel hope in an existence where You find it possible to live and be, an existence which can also offer some amount of joy and harmony. We are many whom are with you in your thoughts and prayers.

During the year, nature catastrophes have continued to happen in a peculiar way in our immediate surroundings and far away in the world. Human lives have been lost and great damages to both property and nature have followed in the tracks of the catastrophes. The economic losses have been extensive.

In our own country, the winter storm Gudrun came and destroyed and devastated large areas, especially in southern Sweden.

In the USA, the hurricane Katrina brought along that New Orleans and large areas there around were brought under water, with many deaths and severe environment damages as the consequence.

As the world had not seen enough of misery this year, just months ago Pakistan and India were struck hard by an earthquake that killed and mutilated thousands of people. In endless mountains, many people now live without protection during severe conditions of winter cold.

But in the midst of misery and chaos, there is after all rays of hope, important to put attention to and take note on.

Such a ray of light, I feel, have been the reports about the negotiations about the climate issue in Montreal. All governments of the world have met to try to find a common view at how the damaging carbon dioxide is to be decreased. Even if not all countries stand behind the so-called Kyoto protocol, most countries agreed on continuing the talks on how to continue. The insight that we all inhabit the same planet and are dependent on each other is becoming clearer. The most important part from the government’s negotiations in Montreal, I believe is the increased faith in each other’s good intentions, which we have been able to read about. It gives hope for the future.

Another ray of light during this dark year has been the evident way in which many people in our country volunteered to help in connection with the tsunami – both here at home and especially in Thailand. This was enormously gratifying. The horrendous catastrophe triggered a generosity which was outstanding. I would warmly like to than all of You whom in an unselfish way was there and helped in many different ways. It has warmed my heart, and with pride and joy I once again establish that values such as solidarity and care for others is a part of the foundation which our country is based on. A foundation which stands steadily also in times woe and sorrow.

But brotherliness is not at all something unique for our country. The Queen and I, as well as the Crown Princess, have during the year visited several countries where the development creates faith in the future, thanks to individual’s commitment and taking of responsibility.

We have visited the vast Australia and taken part of the enterprising attitude and creative force which people show in this part of the world. We have been in Kenya, and the Crown Princess both in Bangladesh and China, three very different countries which are all characterized by its history and culture. I have been in India and visited companies within the IT sector. It contributes with improvements to many areas in this vast land with the world’s second largest population.

What is especially satisfactory is to see all the Swedes in companies and voluntary organisations which are active around the world. The consideration for others, which became so evident in connection with the tsunami, is for many an important driving force in the daily work. To be able to help others around our world is a benefit.

This is what I want to especially remember when I think of the past year. They are bright and important pieces of the memory cavalcade.

The scouting movement and the founding values, which its work is built on, already as young gave me many positive insights. In the scouting groups it is expressed with the words “a scout feels responsibility for themselves and others”. These words have meant a lot to me and my view of the human being throughout the years. I have been a scout for 50 years, and this is something that The Swedish Guide and Scout Association have wanted to manifest. My proposal has been that we should lift out the education to raking responsibility and leadership which the scouting movement gives, to try to stimulate more young men and women to take a leading responsibility in the business life, public life and voluntary society life. It is my hope that this will be given attention, which will further strengthen the weight and importance of a good leadership.

Values based on respect and care for our fellow human beings must be brought on to future generations. Let us infuse hope in our youths, and give them confidence in the future. We must make them dare to commit to an education, a profession, on themselves but also on fellow human beings who need help and support.

Let us all light a candle and spread warmth, both real and figurative. To reach out a hand, remember near and dear, but also other fellow human beings who are going through a hard time, are lonely, sick or need help, are important. We can all light a candle in the darkness.

With this in mind I want to wish You all a continuous good holiday and a fortunate year 2006. I know that my whole family joins me in this greeting.

To hear the speech (in Swedish), go here and click on "hör kungens tal" in red under the picture..

A larger version of the picture, from Johan Ljungström/Swedish Radio.

Attachments

• Jultal 2005.jpg
    Jultal 2005.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
GrandDuchess said:
Today the King held his traditional Christmas speech, broadcasted from the Royal Palace of Stockholm. As there is no official English version of the speech, here it is translated by me:

A very good speech, as usual from the King. I'm happy that he brought up the issue of global warming. Thank you for the translation, Grand Duchess. The paragraph that starts out with "Let us all light a candle and spread warmth" reminds me of the phrase of Robert F.Kennedy that it is indeed better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

Thanks for the translation of the King's speech GrandDuchess.

Is the King an environmentalist? His speech strikes me as coming from someone who is very concerned about the effects of nature and preservation of our natural spaces and ecoculture.

I was very impressed by how his speech touched on Hurricane Katrina -- were many Swedes affected by this devastation? If not, it seems very considerate that the King would touch on something that was so far removed from the lives of his citizens. What a good King he is!

Alexandria said:

Is the King an environmentalist? His speech strikes me as coming from someone who is very concerned about the effects of nature and preservation of our natural spaces and ecoculture.

I was very impressed by how his speech touched on Hurricane Katrina -- were many Swedes affected by this devastation? If not, it seems very considerate that the King would touch on something that was so far removed from the lives of his citizens. What a good King he is!
The King is indeed a great environmentalist and deeply involved in these kind of issues. It is one of his foremost passions in life. Since 1998, the King is Chairman of the Swedish branch of the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), and has his own environment competition in his name ("The King Carl Gustaf Environmental Competition"), as well as a big international environmental symposium in Sweden - "The Royal Colloqium".

Quite recently one could notice how passionate the King is for environmental isses when he answered a question in an interview he granted Metro on 21 December (my translation of the full interview can be read here)
The King likes to hunt and be in the nature. But why is the nature so fun, really?
- I can’t say that the nature is especially funny. It is incredible graceful and a sensitive being. It would be wrong to say that it’s fun. If we meet the nature in the right way and with gentleness, it will give back in its own way. And if we don’t treat it well, it can’t give back in the right way. Both when it comes to agriculture and forestry, it’s important that we have a mutual relationship to the nature. We see what has happened when it comes to the climate changes. It is how we treat Mother Earth that we now get to pay for. Despite that I’m not worried, and one shouldn’t be, because there is a chance to turn around the trend we are in. The human being is a wise being who can master this. But sometimes one wonder how we people are created when one sees how they can act towards each other… In that regard we’re not really learning. We must always be open and observant to what is happening and try to help each other.
I don't think that many Swedes were affected by the hurricane Katrina, of course a few Swedes living over there were, but not in any greater number. But it was something really devastating, and the Swedes were very concerned over the disaster, it really got emotions running I think...

I must also say that I was very impressed by the King's speech, this year's Christmas speech was his best so far I would say, at least of those that I've heard.

Last edited:
It was a very good speech. He touched on many issues even ones that didnt affect sweden. It was very nice. Is it only broadcast on the radios and not on the TV?

Princejonnhy25 said:
It was a very good speech. He touched on many issues even ones that didnt affect sweden. It was very nice. Is it only broadcast on the radios and not on the TV?
Yes, unfortunately it's only broadcasted on national radio and not on television. It's too bad really, I'd love to watch it on television on Christmas Day, and I'm sure it could become a great tradition in many families. I think they only do it on radio because that's just how it always has been, a tradition...

I have always seen a copy of QEII's Christmas Speeches in the newspapers but I have not seen any of the other speeches until I joined this forum. It is interesting to print and read all of them. Although this year I don't detect a "theme" among all the speeches, last year quite a few of them talked about the issue of tolerating immigrants which made me wonder if they ever discuss ideas that need reinforcement by royalty within each country. I really enjoy reading all of them to gain some understanding of what the issues are from where they "stand".

Alexandria said:

I believe he wasn't talking about Katrina but about the tsunami that destroyed a large part of Thailand, Sweden was the country with the most casualties (apart from Thailand itself of course) and I think the King wanted to remember them a year from the tragedy

crisiñaki said:
I believe he wasn't talking about Katrina but about the tsunami that destroyed a large part of Thailand, Sweden was the country with the most casualties (apart from Thailand itself of course) and I think the King wanted to remember them a year from the tragedy

Yes, you are right. The tsunami had a devastating effect on the Swedish psyche this past year. Politicians were criticized and many people were affected by it either personally or from a national standpoint. Sweden had the biggest lost of any country outside of the area and because of its small population, the effect was even greater.

Last year, after mine and my family’s visit to the Drottningholm Palace Chapel on Christmas Day, I as usual had the opportunity to send You a Christmas wish via radio. My words, with a wish for a good and happy future, now, afterwards, seem empty and hollow. Because already then, far out in the Indian Ocean, an earthquake had started the fatal flood which would batter all possibilities for a bright future for hundreds of thousands of people.
Boxing Day last year, the day when so many lives where taken before the intended time, when houses, homes and great areas of nature where destroyed. Not following any (wicked) deed, but following the forces of nature, over which we people have no power.
One year has passed, but we never forget the catastrophe that took place on the other side of the globe and which came to affect also our country so hard.
It is my devout hope that all of Your whom are having a difficult time, will feel hope in an existence where You find it possible to life and be, an existence which can also offer some amount of joy and harmony. We are many whom are with you in your thoughts and prayers.

i like this part of the King's speech.
i think he did a great speech, touching some core issues.

purple_platinum said:
i like this part of the King's speech.
i think he did a great speech, touching some core issues.
Yes, indeed. It was the right speech for the time and the situation. Bravo to the King!:)

I think the king meant that even though Swedes weren't hurt or killed in Hurricane Katrina or the Earthquakes in India or Pakistan but watching this disaster happen to others, it affects you in an emotional sense maybe not in the Physical sense, to see people dying or injuried in such an event is very sad and emotional even if your not been physically affected by it. Even the greatest leader of the world can feel sadness in a tragical event occuring to others.

The London bombings, the War in Iraq, the war in Afghanstan, earthquakes, hurricanes, seeing things like this can make a grown man cry and feel for thoses people who are in those areas or who have lost loved ones.

But great Speech and sometimes i wish Kings or Queens should acutally rule a country than a President or Prime Minister. For their Voice to make a difference in what is happening around the world and in their own country.

crisiñaki said:
The emphasis was on the tsunami yes, but he also mentioned the hurricane Katrina, the storm Gudrun in Sweden and the earthquake in Pakistan. All of which have touched the hearts and made the emotions run high of the Swedish people.

NJRedDevils said:
But great Speech and sometimes i wish Kings or Queens should acutally rule a country than a President or Prime Minister. For their Voice to make a difference in what is happening around the world and in their own country.

A voice that is void of politics and having such things even considered would indeed be the best thing in a time of crisis or a time of mourning to bring a nation together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom