King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 4: Oct 2005 - July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lena said:
I´m surprised, that Yennie-picture-queen doesn´t know, how to make screenshots. But I should have explained it consequently in english & german. So it´s only confusing :eek:
ah, now I get it :) Thanks!
no never done it. I am a picture queen but no technical queen (not technical at all :rolleyes: )

Great news! Ekerlids publishing house will bring out an interview book to the king´s 60th birthday. It´s written of Herman Lindquist (Josefine has posted once something out of his column in Aftonbladet. His column is mainly about historical events). He said, that he has set his focus on the young king. But has also not avoided questions affecting the nearer past (e.g. Brunai-gate)ETW acts again as Co-author. Victoria and Silvia were interviewed as well.
I remember, that I talked a few days ago with GrandDuchess and we both agreed, that such a book would be great. And here it is (will come) :D

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,726715,00.html

Longer summary of the Aftonbladet article today:

Just in time for the King’s 60th birthday next year, the famous and popular Swedish historian Herman Lindqvist has written a book (biography) about King Carl XVI Gustaf. The title will be “Carl XVI Gustaf – conversations with the times” and will be published by Ekerlids in time for the birthday.

The publishers are surprised that the news of the new book has not leaker out sooner, Bertil Ekerlid at the publishing house says that after all the author has been seen at the palace a lot lately. He is also very pleased with the book, according to him; the author has written the books in a very vivid way and with a personal touch.

The book contains several “news”.

To get information and backgrounds to the book, the author Herman Lindqvist and the King have had twelve long conversations that has taken place at the Royal Palace of Stockholm, in which the King has contributed his very personal views and experiences in life.

This is the first time the King will tell about how it was to become the world’s youngest King and in the book he says that he didn’t feel mature enough when he ascended the throne at age 27. In the book, the King also reveals that he took long walks together with his sister Princess Christina in 1973, before his accession to the throne. Together they made a strategy for the future – the King came to the throne in a politically turbulent time, and in the book he tells how hard it was to always be the youngest – younger than all the ministers for example.

The King also tells about his four year low key relationship with Silvia, which the author describes as a long hide and seek time – for example the future Queen even took the measure of wearing a wig in order not to be discovered.

Herman Lindqvist, the author, has also interviewed the Queen and the Crown Princess, which are a complement to the interviews with the King. He has had no restrictions in his work, there has been no censorship from the Royal Court – he has for example discussed the famous “Brunei scandal” together with the King. Also Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, now Court Marshall for the Crown Princess’ Household, has written a few chapters. She writes about the King’s constitutional role and makes personal reflections of her 29 years working for the King. She says that the King doesn’t come to his right in short articles, and that this is the first time he has really been interviewed in a very deep way. She hopes that it will show that he is a more multi facetted person than what is known to the public.

Author Herman Lindqvist says that he thinks the King is very humoristic and open hearted, and that he has reached an age and maturity in which he can openly discuss his role.

The original & full article (in Swedish) can be found here.

Pictures from the article:

NYHETER-09s12-KRONING-271_368.jpg

1973, ascending the throne

NYHETER-09s12-STUDENT-148_368.jpg

1996, Victoria's graduation

NYHETER-09s12-SILVIA-770_368.jpg

1975, with Silvia in Berlin

NYHETER-09s12-FAMILY-561_368.jpg

1985, with the family

NYHETER-09s12-PORSCHE-941_368.jpg

1973, with Silvia in his Porshe

NYHETER-09s12-BROLLOP-422_368.jpg

1976, the wedding

NYHETER-09s12-HERMAN-213_368.jpg

1997, Herman Lindqvist (the author of the book) receives a medal

NYHETER-09s12-ROCKING-954_368.jpg

2004, at a concert (at the Palace's Court Yard)

NYHETER-09s12-NISSAR-760_368.jpg

2001 (2005 written by Aftonbladet), as "rumpnissar"

Last edited:
That with the rumpnissar was actually in summer 2001 to Madeleine´s graduation party. Strange, that they have thought, it´s from this year. One should mean Aftonbladet´s "memory" is better...

GrandDuchess said:
This is the first time the King will tell about how it was to become the world’s youngest King and in the book he says that he didn’t feel mature enough when he ascended the throne at age 17.

at age 27 ;)

Lena said:
Great news! Ekerlids publishing house will bring out an interview book to the king´s 60th birthday. It´s written of Herman Lindquist (Josefine has posted once something out of his column in Aftonbladet. His column is mainly about historical events). He said, that he has set his focus on the young king. But has also not avoided questions affecting the nearer past (e.g. Brunai-gate)ETW acts again as Co-author. Victoria and Silvia were interviewed as well.
I remember, that I talked a few days ago with GrandDuchess and we both agreed, that such a book would be great. And here it is (will come) :D

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,726715,00.html
Its great that they are writing a new book, but I must say I´m a bit disapointed with the choice of writer. Imo Herman Lindquist is to "stuck in the history" and focus to much on the past. For example in the documentary from Victorias 18th birthday, there was so much about the royal family of the 1700 and old queens and kings. History is important, yes but sometimes it is "over the top"

Yennie said:
Its great that they are writing a new book, but I must say I´m a bit disapointed with the choice of writer. Imo Herman Lindquist is to "stuck in the history" and focus to much on the past. For example in the documentary from Victorias 18th birthday, there was so much about the royal family of the 1700 and old queens and kings. History is important, yes but sometimes it is "over the top"

The guy in the documentary to her 18th birthday was Herman Lindquist? :confused: For me the amount of history in the show was ok. After all Victoria was just around 18 and hasn´t done much in her life until then. To her 30th birthday SVT could make a documentary of 24 hours "ponytailing for the crown" ;)
And I think in this book Herman Lindquist can´t go too far into the past. I only hope that Mr. Lindquist doesn´t go too much into politics. I would love to see a private side of the king and talking about politics always went some kind of "unfortunate" for the king. :rolleyes:

PRINCE KHALED OF SAUDI ARABIA VISITS SWEDEN. HERE TOGETHER WITH KING CARL XVI GUSTAF OF SWEDEN IN THE ROYAL CASTLE IN STOCKHOLM

From brunopress

Attachments

• ste_prince_khale_373768.jpg
    ste_prince_khale_373768.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 365
  • ste_prince_khale_373745.jpg
    ste_prince_khale_373745.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 615
  • ste_prince_khale_373769.jpg
    ste_prince_khale_373769.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 401
At the moment, His Majesty is in India on a Royal Technology Mission together with The Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences. The King usually leads the academy's delegation, consisting of representatives from the Swedish busines life and higher education, on these trips around the world. This time the destination is India. The idea with the Royal Technology Missions is to create new contacts that can lead to an extended idea- and business exchange.

Pictures from the Royal Court's website.

Attachments

• RTM1.JPG
    RTM1.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,878
  • RTM2.JPG
    RTM2.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,911
  • RTM3.JPG
    RTM3.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,867
GrandDuchess said:
At the moment, His Majesty is in India on a Royal Technology Mission together with The Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences. The King usually leads the academy's delegation, consisting of representatives from the Swedish busines life and higher education, on these trips around the world. This time the destination is India. The idea with the Royal Technology Missions is to create new contacts that can lead to an extended idea- and business exchange.

Pictures from the Royal Court's website.
Do you know where in India?

The King with President of India

from anp

Attachments

• 3221044.jpg
    3221044.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 272
Polfoto 24-11-2005 Indian President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, left, speaks with Royal Technology Mission (RTM) members as King of Sweden Carl XVI Gustav, right, looks on at the Presidential palace, in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Nov. 24, 2005. The king, who is leading 48 member RTM has interacted with many Indian and Swedish companies, universities and institutions.

Attachments

• AP478784_guest.jpg
    AP478784_guest.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 269
The King's trip to India during the whole last week, leading the Royal Technology Mission, has come to an end this past weekend. The Royal Court's website tells us that it was a good trip and very successful in creating new connections and contacts between the two countries. Among the visits they went on in India were to the IT company WIPRO, the Indian Institute of Science, Dhruva Interactive in Bangalore, Astra-Zeneca in Bangalore, Volvo in Bangalore, Evalueserve in New Delhi, Ericsson in New Delhi and CII – The Confederation of Indian Industry. The King also visited the President of India together with the delegation, and attended a lecture by the recipient of the Stockholm Water Prize 2005, Ms. Sunita Narain, leader of the Centre for Science and Environment.

Pictures by the Royal Court, from their website:

2: The delegation of the Royal Technology Mission together with the President of India, 3: The King at a lecture by the recipient of the Stockholm Water Prize 2005, Ms. Sunita Narain, leader of the Centre for Science and Environment.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 294
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 291
GrandDuchess said:
The King's trip to India during the whole last week, leading the Royal Technology Mission, has come to an end this past weekend. The Royal Court's website tells us that it was a good trip and very successful in creating new connections and contacts between the two countries

Not to be cynical but would the royal court ever label a trip "not successful":p
I see the King is right back to work almost every day this week, obiously HE does not need two and a half weeks to recover from a trip to Asia.

And why is there still no new website:confused: I though the King would get a new one this autumn and looking at the weather its more like winter now. Only the spanish website has a more amaturish design than this one. Im afraid I have to high hopes for this and the Norwegian website and that I will be disappointed when they are finally updated.

Translation of a press release from the Royal Court

26 November 2005

Statement by H.M. The King after the notice of the attack on Swedish soldiers in Afghanistan

It is with great sorrow that I have received the notice that one Swedish soldier has fallen and another three have been injured during their service in the international peacekeeping force, ISAF, in Afghanistan.

Mine and my family’s thoughts go to the families.

CARL GUSTAF

http://www.royalcourt.se/aktuellt/p...ddelandearkiv/5.396c7107359daaf480005399.html

Last edited:
From Imagine :

November 29, 2005
Töckfors, Sweden
King Carl Gustaf of Sweden opening a new shopping Center
in Toeckfors Vaermaland Sweden today.
Swedish singer Carola also attended the opening.

King Carl Gustav recived new ambassadors: Lettland, Tanzania, Island and Poland.

from royalcourt

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 292
Queen Silvia today attended a seminar at CMM - Center for Molecular Medicin - at Karloniska University Hospital

from imagine

Attachments

• 31.jpeg
    31.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 272
  • 37.jpeg
    37.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 185
  • 36.jpeg
    36.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 263
  • 35.jpeg
    35.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 33.jpeg
    33.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 32.jpeg
    32.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 34.jpeg
    34.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 334
  • 38.jpeg
    38.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 286
  • 39.jpeg
    39.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 191
  • 40.jpeg
    40.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
From imagine, set 2

Attachments

• 41.jpeg
    41.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 314
  • 42.jpeg
    42.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 251
Thank you fanletizia for posting the IS-pictures.
I wonder, if the Queen and Crown Princess have a cold...since they both wore very similar scarves.
And I wonder, how much the Queen is really into such seminars. I would be red-hot getting such a special tuition (then again the Royal family probably can´t go into depths in all fields, which is somehow a pity)

fanletizia, thanks for posting the nice pictures from the queen at Karolinska Institut.

To all: No pictures from monday - Gala Kungl.Musikakademie? And no pictures from yesterday - NAITO priset - at Grand Hotel???

Summary of an Expressen article:

Yesterday, Sunday 4 December, the King inaugurated the new stables for the horses of the Life Guards. The over 100 years old stables have been renovated for over 40 million Swedish crowns, and is now a facility of top class for the horses. They get over ten square metres to live on per box, and the water is delivered through automatic stainless steel automats, the food place is shielded off for maximum rest during the eating times, and the floor is a special concrete floor which minimizes the risk to trip. The walls are covered with an African wood, and can take being kicked at by the horses. The new ventilation is good, and the grooms can shovel the stuff from cleaning the boxes into a small door where it is automatically taken out to a container.

- If I had been a horse I would've thought it was great to live here, the King commented to Expressen.

For the full & original article (in Swedish) go here.

The first picture is by Roger Vikström via Expressen, the rest are from the Life Guards' website.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 209
  • Roger Vikström, Expressen.jpg
    Roger Vikström, Expressen.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 273
Today his Majesty the King received the Prime Minister of Bulgaria, Mr Sergey Stanislev, in an audience at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. The Prime Minister of Bulgaria is in Stockholm as a part of the process to enter his country into the European Union, therefore EU and bilateral issues were on the agenda for his talks with the Swedish Prime Minister, Göran Persson, earlier in the day.

Picture by the Royal Court.

Attachments

• Kgl Hovstaterna.JPG
    Kgl Hovstaterna.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 275
from getty images

BERLIN - DECEMBER 6: Queen Silvia of Sweden (L) and Franz Beckenbauer attend a photocall at the Adlon Hotel December 6, 2005 in Berlin, Germany. Queen Silvia, who is also head of the World Childhood Foundation, is in Berlin to attend a summit hosted by the Federation of German Tourist Economy ahead of the FIFA World Cup soccer tournament next year in Germany.

Attachments

• 56344493.jpg
    56344493.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 251
  • 56344581.jpg
    56344581.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 56344582.jpg
    56344582.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 271
  • 56344583.jpg
    56344583.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 236
Here are a few more pictures from the event mentioned in the previous post, where Queen Silvia and the President of the Organising Committee of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, Franz Beckenbauer, kicked off a "World Cup Friendliness Campaign" in Berlin, Germany, today 6 December.

Queen Silvia is in Germany to attend this event as well as giving a speech about the World Childhood Foundation at the Federation of German Tourist Economy's summit.

Picture one is by AP, picture two by Bild and picture three by DPA.

Attachments

• AP.jpg
    AP.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Bild.jpg
    Bild.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 207
  • DPA, szon.de.jpg
    DPA, szon.de.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 316
Ah, the Queen meets the Emperor (=Kaiser, as Franz Beckenbauer is called) ;)
In the Scanpix-pic I thought this is a pic of Silvia and Carl Gustaf. Mr. Beckenbauer doesn´t have just physicial similarities to the king, he also tends to speak like him :D
Thank you for the photos, purple_platinum and GrandDuchess.

Summary & translation of a press release by the Royal Court, 7 December 2005

A press release by the Royal Court today announces that the King has decided that Prince Eugen’s Medal (for prominent artistic accomplishment) for 2005 will be awarded too the following:

- Olle Ohlsson, silversmith, Sweden
- Åke Pallarp, painter, Sweden
- Gert Wingårdh, architect, Sweden
- A K Dolven, painter, Norway
- Olafur Eliasson, sculptor, Denmark

The awarding of the Prince Eugen Medal will take place at Prince Eugen’s Waldemarsudde on Royal Djurgården in Stockholm on Friday. The decision of the conferral of the medals took place earlier this season, on the Eugen Day on 5 November.

The press release (in Swedish) can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom