King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 3: April - October 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HMQueenElizabethII said:
Thanks you so much,Dennism for this picture of the Queen visits Vietnamese students,my country:) .Thanksss you lotss...Dennism, many thanks for posting the nice pic from the meeting, its lovely.

You´re welcome. It´s a sweet photo and thank you GrandDuchess for the other photo from the same event.

Yesterday, Thursday 26 May, the King opened the new Gärstadverket (a heat and power plant) in Östergötland County. Pictures from various local papers:

Attachments

• Gärstadverket 26 maj 2005_2.jpg
    Gärstadverket 26 maj 2005_2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Gärstadverket 26 maj 2005_3.jpg
    Gärstadverket 26 maj 2005_3.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 253
  • Gärstadverket 26 maj 2005_4.jpg
    Gärstadverket 26 maj 2005_4.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Gärstadverket 26 maj 2005_1.jpg
    Gärstadverket 26 maj 2005_1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 199
Thank you GrandDuchess for the pics of Calle, the builder ;)

This past Wednesday 25 May, the King honoured the Swedish Wetland Fund’s 10th Anniversary by visiting his own estate Stenhammar as well as Öster Malma and their wetlands, all on the West Coast. Pictures from Eskilstunakuriren. For those of you who read Swedish, there's a very nice and informative article here

Attachments

• Våtmarksfonden 25 maj 2005_1.jpg
    Våtmarksfonden 25 maj 2005_1.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 311
  • Våtmarksfonden 25 maj 2005_2.jpg
    Våtmarksfonden 25 maj 2005_2.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 344
  • Våtmarksfonden 25 maj 2005_3.jpg
    Våtmarksfonden 25 maj 2005_3.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 275
  • Våtmarksfonden 25 maj 2005_4.jpg
    Våtmarksfonden 25 maj 2005_4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 207
GrandDuchess said:
This past Wednesday 25 May, the King honoured the Swedish Wetland Fund’s 10th Anniversary by visiting his own estate Stenhammar as well as Öster Malma and their wetlands, all on the West Coast. Pictures from Eskilstunakuriren. For those of you who read Swedish, there's a very nice and informative article here

Thanks for the photos today, GrandDuchess. He´s got that funny look again in the third photo. He seems like he is up to again. Anyway, put the King into the wild and he is at his best and most relaxed.

Stenhammar as well as Öster Malma and their wetlands, all on the West Coast
hmm, exactly where is that? Isn´t Stenhammar close to Flen, on the east coast? Well, actually its not on the coast, but in the central parts of Sweden but closer to the east.
Or perhaps is it a different place? I´m confused :)

Yennie said:
hmm, exactly where is that? Isn´t Stenhammar close to Flen, on the east coast? Well, actually its not on the coast, but in the central parts of Sweden but closer to the east.
Or perhaps is it a different place? I´m confused :)

Yes Yennie you´re right it is Flen in Sörmland 110 km south-west of Stockholm

I was just wondering what the King and Queen marriage is like, are there rumours of affairs or divorce,was it an arranged marriage

Well...it was definitly NOT an arranged marriage! There have been rumours of affairs, but surely they weren't true, since they were created by german newspapers, mainly. The royal couple have sued german newspapers exactly for creating rumours like that, about affairs, a divorce and so on. This, I think, shows that they are plain tired of false rumours, because they really are happy together! Queen Silvia has also said that they are very happily married. So anyway, I hope this answers your question!? Otherwise, just have a look at some photos in here, and then I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about when I clame that they are happily married :)

hey thanks for that i never really knew much about them or their marriage so that was great.

Although the king and queen are said to have a very happy marriage, there are very few photos of them being close in public. does anyone know of any? or are they a little prudish?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure actually, but I think they think that is something that it's something very private...Don't know...but it's annoying that there aren't any more photos of them being close..that's true!!...:)

yeah i agree, obviously they have to be professional at state functions but sometimes it would be nice to see some form of closeness.

loving silvia and carl gustaf said:
The royal couple have sued german newspapers exactly for creating rumours like that, about affairs, a divorce and so on.

Rightfully so. Creating rumours about people is a very hurtful thing.

At yesterday, 14th June 2005, the president of Chile visit Stockholm. The King and queen give a Lunch for him. Did everywhere see pictures from the meeting in the palace?

Well Chilenian wine shall be quite good. Maybe he brought some along would be a nice gift :)

ursulajohanna said:
At yesterday, 14th June 2005, the president of Chile visit Stockholm. The King and queen give a Lunch for him. Did everywhere see pictures from the meeting in the palace?

From my experience I can say, that the chances aren´t too big to get any pics, when the meeting took place in the castle. Obviously Scanpix and the royalcourt haven´t the pics by now, so I doubt we will ever see pics of this meeting :confused:

so the royal courts new pic policy is not to hand out any pics at all? Shame on them and shame on Etws successor

mixer2002de said:
so the royal courts new pic policy is not to hand out any pics at all? Shame on them and shame on Etws successor

Sometimes I wonder, if you read mysterious "ghost-posts", when you read actually mine. ;)
I haven´t said something like that. I´ve just meant, that the chances are simply not to high to get to see pics from the castle.
IMO the reason is, that such pics are considered as "less interesting" and so less photographers show up. And I guess such a lunch is also considered as a more "intimate meeting" and as meeting, where details are planned, so cameras aren´t welcome...

Haha I think pics would be interesting. Esp as there are no interesting news right now! Like Crown Princess is unmarried and expecting or Maddes car got stolen (including cam with private pics) or CPs dog got a heart attack or made wee wee in the park.

Article from the local with parts from an interview with the queen to AFP (whatever/whoever this is):

Queen Silvia praises Swedes' generosity

Queen Silvia, who was born in Germany, raised in Brazil and joined the Swedish royal family three decades ago, quickly won the hearts of the Swedish people especially with her tireless work on behalf of children.

"The Swedish people have been very sweet to me, and very warm. It has been very easy to feel at home," Silvia said in an interview with AFP.

Silvia was born a commoner in the southern German city Heidelberg in 1943, moved with her German father and Brazilian mother to Sao Paulo, Brazil, four years later, before returning to her native country in 1957.

She later trained as an interpreter and worked as chief hostess at the organization committee for the 1972 summer Olympics in Munich, where she met Crown Prince Carl Gustaf of Sweden.

The couple were married on June 19, 1976, making her Swedish queen.

In a first indication that she would be a hit in her new Swedish homeland, world-famous Swedish pop band ABBA wrote and premiered the song "Dancing Queen" for the event.

The arrival of Silvia gave the Swedish monarchy's reputation a great boost. But soon curiosity about the dazzlingly exotic foreigner gave way to respect, especially for her commitment to the welfare and rights of children, which has gone down well in this nation fiercely protective of its young generation.

In 1999, she founded the World Childhood Foundation, which supports projects against sexual abuse among others, and has worked on behalf of the handicapped, which earned her the German prize "Deutsche Kulturpreis" in 1990.

Silvia is also on the board of the international Mentor Foundation, which fights against drug abuse.

Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf have been praised for being close to their people in difficult times, such as during last December's Asian tsunami during which 543 Swedes died or went missing.

The royal couple's approval ratings surged following the disaster, when Carl Gustaf declared that he wished, "like the kings in the fairytales" that he could bring about a happy ending. "But I am just like you... We are all just humans without clear answers".

In the interview, Queen Silvia remembered that "nobody was prepared for this. You couldn't reach anybody. At first we were told five or six people had died and 500 were missing."

"And then the news came, like an avalanche. I still get goosepimples when I think about it. It was happening so far away, and there were so many. It was so hard to get information, which was terrible for the families".

The royal couple, who went to Thailand in February to honour the dead and thank the Thai people for their support, was also praised for that initiative.

And Silvia returned the compliment, saying the Swedes "have always been very generous, and they continued throughout these difficulties".

This confirmed the view that Silvia had of Sweden since childhood. Her father, Walther Sommerlath, who ran the Brazilian subsidiary of Swedish company Uddeholm when Silvia was a child, "always spoke of this 'correct and well-organized country'", she said.

Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf have three children, Crown Princess Victoria, Princess Madeleine and Prince Carl Philip.

Asked whether royal wedding bells will soon toll for Victoria, 27, and her boyfriend, Daniel Westling, Silvia replied:

"Of course as parents, we want the happiness of our children. But everything is written in the stars".

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=1623&PHPSESSID=2544e59d079ca35c4e1e735230b67023

TO GO WITH AFP STORY "Sweden's Queen Silvia on crusade against child abuse" Queen Silvia of Sweden poses during an interview with AFP in Stockholm 08 June 2005. Sexual abuse and trafficking of children are overwhelming problems worldwide, says Sweden's Queen Silvia, whose World Childhood Foundation has been helping victims of sexual violence since 1999

Attachments

• AFPLIFESTYLE-SWEDEN-FRANCE-.jpg
    AFPLIFESTYLE-SWEDEN-FRANCE-.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 630
Other part of the interview (about her foundation and child abuse):

Child abuse is getting worse - Silvia

Sexual abuse and trafficking of children are overwhelming problems worldwide, says Sweden's Queen Silvia, whose World Childhood Foundation has been helping victims of sexual violence since 1999.

"Sexual abuse is a global problem, and it's increasing," Silvia told AFP in an interview before a Paris benefit concert for her foundation.

"It's a taboo subject. It's a delicate question. But if you don't talk about it, then the children will continue suffering," she said in her office in the royal palace in central Stockholm.

Silvia, who has long worked for charity, created the foundation after repeatedly meeting with abused children during her travels.

"There came a point when I asked myself: What can I do, personally, to help these children?" she says.

She started by becoming the patron in 1996, in Sweden, of the first World Congress Against Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children, which she calls "a very important step", coming shortly after the Dutroux pedophile scandal that shook Belgium.

"One of the good things about being queen is that you have the possibility to help and perhaps even change things for the better," she says.

The second conference, in 2001, took place in Yokohama, giving "Japan a leading role".

The World Childhood Foundation, founded in 1999, is established in Sweden, Germany, Brazil and the US. It does not run programmes itself, but supports 76 projects in 15 countries.

"We are the facilitators and I'm the mother," smiles Silvia.

The funds come from the 14 co-founders including DaimlerChrysler and SAP, and including major Swedish partners like Volvo, ICA and Vattenfall, which can enter into partnerships with the foundation.

It also relies on events like the June 19 benefit concert in Paris with the Orchestre National de France which is conductor Kurt Masur's "gift to the foundation".

Among the projects supported by the foundation are an adolescent centre in Sao Paolo, a child support centre in Estonia, a child health centre in Cape Town and a support structure for 600 juvenile inmates in a Saint Petersburg prison.

In a "babushka brigade" project in Moscow, it has helped bring abused children, homeless mothers and lonely older women together in a day care centre where they help, and learn from, each other.

Young mothers who grew up in orphanages and suffered sexual abuse often find it difficult to give their own children the love they need. "They are quite tough, and often socially and emotionally handicapped," Silvia says. "We help them to be good mothers."

In a project in Brazil, a group of girls got help to open a shop selling candles, soap and small decorated handbags, including with the accounting.

"We don't just rescue the girls, we also help them shape their future, so they don't have to prostitute themselves," she says.

Being a queen of one of the world's richest countries is no obstacle when relating to some of the least-privileged citizens of poor countries, she says.

"The children don't see me that way. They see me as a person who wants to help," she says.

The foundation has a tiny structure, employing just four to five staff each in Stockholm, New York and Brazil, but has started making a difference, Silvia says.

"There are many lights at the end of the tunnel. Many governments have changed laws to protect their children, like Japan and Australia, " she says.

But there are ever new dangers lurking, such as the Internet.

"The Internet is a wonderful thing, but it can also be a tool for the abuse of children. When your child is in front of the computer your child is in danger of being contacted by a paedophile," she says.

German-born Silvia, who became queen of Sweden when she married King Carl Gustaf in 1976, says the respectful attitude with which Swedes treat their children had reinforced her commitment.

"You treat children as a little human beings, with their own rights," she says.

(AFP)

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=1622

HMQueenElizabethII said:
TO GO WITH AFP STORY "Sweden's Queen Silvia on crusade against child abuse" Queen Silvia of Sweden poses during an interview with AFP in Stockholm 08 June 2005. Sexual abuse and trafficking of children are overwhelming problems worldwide, says Sweden's Queen Silvia, whose World Childhood Foundation has been helping victims of sexual violence since 1999

Thanks for this photo. Our classy queen in a vibrant red.

irishchick said:
Any news from the couple for their wedding anniversary on sunday?

The queen will be in Paris for a concert and for a gala of/for the world childhood foundation...so probably their wedding day won´t be celebrated. Maybe next year...then they will be 30 years married (can´t believe, that the silver wedding was already 4 years ago)...but I guess the king´s 60th birthday will be celebrated bigger...and when there would be the wedding, which Lena is predicting since 2003 (for every summer again ;) ), then not much "space" is left for a special celebration...

Picture of the king yesterday at the 11th international symposium on society and resource management in Östersund. Royalcourt.se

Attachments

• call.jpg
    call.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
where did the king live before he became king
did he have a apartment at the royal castle only

Last Friday, June 17th, HM The King attended the closedown ceremony for the Östersund Garrison in Jämtland County. The regiment of Jämtland was in December 2004 ordered to close all of its departments by 31 August 2006, and last Friday they held a solemn day to mark the close down of a regiment full of Swedish history. A lot of people from the public came, as well as family and relatives of the militaries of the regiment – and the King himself was one of the speakers, along with the County Governor and a representative of the Defence. The regiment was founded in 1646 on the direct orders of Queen Christina, who gave it the order of protecting the country’s western border.

Pictures from the Defence:

Attachments

• nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_1.jpg
    nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 202
  • nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_2.jpg
    nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 206
  • nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_3.jpg
    nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 241
  • nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_4.jpg
    nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_4.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 189
  • nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_5.jpg
    nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_5.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 189
  • nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_6.jpg
    nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_6.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 185
  • nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_7.jpg
    nedläggning Östersunds garnison 21 jun 2005_7.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 174
Josefine said:
where did the king live before he became king
did he have a apartment at the royal castle only
I think he had an apartment at Stockholm Palace... and when he studied at the university in Uppsala, he shared an apartment with a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom