The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Three more pictures of the King and Queen at Queen/Princess Juliana's funeral earlier this year:

Some more random pictures of the King and Queen:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Julianabegravning1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	52989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Julianabegravning2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	52990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Julianabegravning3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	52991   Click image for larger version

Name:	kungaparetoland.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	52992  

Name:	PM of Schleswig-Holstein.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	52993   Click image for larger version

Name:	kungensalut.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	52994  

Old 11-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Some more random pictures of the King and Queen:
thanks, GrandDuchess.

in passing ..... I would say with the liptucks and dyed hair, Silvia is holding her age well.

It would seem that Carl Gustav is not vain, otherwise he would've dyed his hair a long time ago.

Old 11-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Yesterday The King awarded the Prince Eugen Medal at a ceremony at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. The Prince Eugen Medal was institutes in connection with the Prince's 80th birthday in 1945, and is awarded by The King to persons for a great artistic deed. This time The King has decided to give the medal to five people, four of them could attend the medal award ceremony at the Palace.

Here is one of the recipients, the picture is from the Royal Court's website, and taken by Pressens Bild AB:
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Very nice pics of The King and The Queen.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 11-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Silvia was intervied on the radio today and she spoke about womens abuse. Perhaps someone with better english than myself could translate the article but I just wanted to comment on something Silvia said.

She said that "I don´t know anyone that is being abused by thier husband but I read about it in books and magazines.
If I found out that someone I knew was being abused I probably would react, usually I´m not quiet".

Imo thats a very stupid comment. Its not like women that are being abused has it written in their forehead!! It happends in all families and saying that "I dont know anyone" is very dangerous imo. It can be read as "no, among my fine friends and society there´s no such thing".

Silvia om kvinnomisshandel: ”Jag tycker att varje man har ansvar”

Drottning Silvia intervjuades i dag i P4-programmet Efter 3 om sin syn på bland annat kvinnomisshandel.
Reportern frågade henne om hennes åsikt om mäns kollektiva ansvar för kvinnomisshandel.
Silvia undvek att använda ordet kollektivt men svarade att hon anser att varje man har ett ansvar.
Reportern intervjuade henne efter en utbildningsfilm där drottningen närvarade på visningen. Han frågade henne hur man ska stoppa kvinnomisshandeln.
- Om vi diskuterar och talar om det, om vi har det i medvetandet när vi sett en sådan här film, sade drottningen.
Reportern frågade också drottning Silvia om hur hon ser på frågan om att män har ett kollektivt ansvar för kvinnomisshandeln.
- Hm, det kan bli en politisk fråga så nu är jag litet försiktig, sade drottningen.
Hon tänkte efter några sekunder, sedan sa hon:
- Jag tycker att varje man har ansvaret. Man kanske kan tala om kollektivt ansvar men jag tycker att varje enskild individ har ansvar.
Silvia sa sedan att hon inte själv kände någon kvinna som blivit misshandlad.
- Tack och lov. Men jag läser ju om det i böcker och tidningar. Om jag fick veta att någon jag känner blivit utsatt skulle jag nog reagera, jag brukar inte hålla tyst

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhete...562601,00.html
Old 11-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

For those of you who understand a little Swedish, you can listen to the radio interview today with Queen Silvia here. Just click on "Senaste Efter 3 del 1" and "Senaste Efter 3 del 2" on the top right. I don't know in which part of the program the interview with her is because I haven't listened to it yet.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:53 AM
Serene Highness

Who has seen pictures from the King and queen dated 15.11.04:
Attendance at The Royal Swedish Society of Naval Sciences Solemn Gathering at the Vasa Museum and the following Dinner at the restaurant Långa Raden
Skeppsholmen, Stockholm?
Old 11-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

You can see pictures here from this Monday (22nd) when The King awarded Stockholm School of Economic's "Research Prize of the Year”. He also attended the 10th Jubilee Dinner afterwards, no pics from that though.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

November 23, 2004 BRUSSELS, BELGIUM: Queen Silvia attends the concert organised by the European Federation for sexually abused and missing children. The federation gathers child defense associations of 15 European countries organised around Belgian association Child Focus.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	58791   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00130165.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	58792   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00130166.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	58793   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00130167.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	58794  

Name:	pre-SEEGER00130168.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	58795   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00130170.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	58796   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00130171.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	58797  
Old 11-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Great pictures, pdas1201, thanks so much for posting! They all look lovely, and the ever so stylish Queen Silvia as well!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes,Queen Silvia looks very nice.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 11-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

According to Aftonbladet today, The King will become godfather to the newborn son (born yesterday) of his lifetime friend Aje Philipson and his wife Bathina El-Soudi. This is Aje's seventh child, he has six children from his two previous marriages. According to the newspaper, The King has already accepted to become godfather, and is delighted of the news...
Old 12-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Article from Expressen

Summary:
The King out on a hunt for Christmas presents! Sometimes every year, the King moves on the streets of Stockholm like an ordinary man – yesterday was one of those times. Expressen reports that the King, after finishing work at the Palace, went out on the town with his Säpo guards, looking for Christmas presents to the family. The paper’s sources say that he puts a lot of time on finding the right presents to put under the tree every year, and that he loves to look around for them. The source also says that the King gets wish lists from the Queen and his children every year, and that he always follows them – but likes to buy other things too. According to the source, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine have wished for furniture and interior decorating things for their homes. The King therefore headed to the interiour-decorating store R.O.O.M. (love that store!), where he was caught on a pair of white lamps – according to a witness.

http://www.expressen.se/content/1/c6...7/c5bcf9f5.jpg

Kungen på klappjakt

Här blir kungen allas vår tomte. Han var i går och tittade ut julklappar till prinsessan Madeleine och prins Carl Philip.
- Kungen brukar lägga ner mycket tid varje år med att hitta de rätta klapparna att lägga under granen, berättar en källa.

Ibland rör sig kungen på Stockholms gator som en vanlig man - december är en sådan tid.
- Han är helt galen i att köpa julklappar. Kungen älskar att gå omkring och titta efter de bästa julklapparna, berättar en källa.

I går hade kungen efter arbete på slottet under förmiddagen ledig tid på eftermiddagen. Han och ett par Säpo-vakter smet ner till centrala Stockholm för att gå på klappjakt.
- Varje år får kungen en önskelista från barnen och hustrun Silvia. Han brukar försöka följa den, men går också ibland utanför listan, berättar en vän till familjen.

Önskat sig möbler
Carl Philip och Madeleine har i år önskat sig möbler och inredningssaker till sina respektive hem. Kungen valde därför i går att besöka exklusiva inrednings- och möbelbutiken Room på Kungsholmen i Stockholm.
- Han gick omkring och tittade noggrant på en rad saker. Han fastnade speciellt för ett par dyra vita lampor, berättar ett vittne.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Serene Highness

Did you see pictures from "Dagens nyheter award" with queen Silvia at 10.12.04 in the morning by Stockholm slottet? Many thanks for your help in advance.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Declaration by HM The King after the notice of Count Lennart Bernadotte af Wisborg's passing

With great grief and regret, I and my family have received the notice of Count Lennart Bernadotte's passing. His memory lives on through his life work Mainau, where he created a botanical and cultural attraction of the highest standard.

Our thoughts goes to Countess Sonja and family.

CARL GUSTAF
Old 12-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Heir Apparent

The King's Annual Christmas Speech 2004 (my translation):

This year's Christmas speech was recorded in Prince Bertil's apartment at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. Here is my translation of the speech, and a picture from the Royal Court:

Dear Swedes, at home and abroad

I feel great joy when I in this way, once again have the possibility to turn to You all to wish a good holiday.

In our traditions, Christmas is the biggest holiday of the year. It is in a special way the holiday for the family, when we wish to be together with our dear and loved ones. Traditions often become help in caring and maintaining the fellowship to which we all belong. But it is important that this holiday does not shield us in our togetherness with our close ones, but gives us inspiration and courage to reach out a hand to all those who need us. This is also a part of the message of Christmas. My Christmas speech in the radio has ever since the beginning aimed at sending a greeting to all You Swedes, who for a longer of shorter time are situated abroad.

You might be aid workers, UN soldiers, official representatives of our country, students at universities and colleges abroad, young people who give yourself the chance to travel around the world for a period of time to meet other societies and cultures, or Swedes who permanently have settled in other countries for work and family life. I send a warm though and greeting to You and wish You joy and satisfaction in Your various tasks, in which You are also good representatives of our country.

During the past year, I have, together with the Queen, paid for State Visits: to Vietnam and in connection with that to Brunei, to Slovenia and to Iceland.

Only a few decades ago, Vietnam fought a brutal war that left destruction and poverty. Today, an interesting development in many levels is taking place in the country. Sweden was the first country in the western world to establish diplomatic relations with Vietnam. It was in January of 1969. Since then, we have been involved in different aid activities and eventually even trade and cultural exchange with the country.

The State Visit to Slovenia in June was characterised by the country’s entry to the European Union in the beginning of May, when the EU was enlarged by ten new members. This is a development that was impossible to predict a few decades ago. The European Union has ever since the beginning been an important peace project, which we tend to forget today. In the union, democratic countries live together and shape the future of Europe.

The State Visit to Iceland was my third. The first two took place in 1975 and 1987. We have also visited the country many times in other connections. Iceland may be the smallest and the most north situated of our Nordic neighbour countries. But it makes a un-obliterate impression with its grand nature, its now dynamic economic development and its rich cultural heritage. We got to experience all this, as well as the Crown Princess who also took part in the visit, during some interesting days in the beginning of September.

If we continue to look out on the world, there are unfortunately many things that infuse worries. We cannot give up, but must continue the work for resolving conflicts. We must believe that the power of peace and reconciliation is larger than that of the hate and violence.

On our path through life we need a guiding star that points us to the possibilities of good. Wee do not speak widely about our role models or the basic values we have chooses as our guiding principles, but they are there when we need them. It can be rewarding to once and again give them a though, and let one be inspired by them.

The Middle East is often in our thoughts. We feel with the people who live in these countries – people who meet threats every day, who do not see a possibility or open door for chance, and who constantly have to worry for the future of their children. A whole world is waiting for the wise men and women of influence, to dare to come out and speak the language of peace. For them to understand, that in all conflicts where people fight for their right to live in security and dignity – it is important to look at the situation also with different eyes. We wish with all of our hearts that the situation will be improved, and that violence can be turned into peace.

When I think of the year 2004, I remember the many visits I paid together with the Queen, all around our great country. It has been to companies, non-profit organisations, jubilees and conferences. To deepen the Eriksgator (county visits) I made during the first years after my accession to the throne, we every now and then make day visits to municipalities and get a chance to get a follow-up on the development. The meeting with people in local connections in their own environments is exciting, wherever they take place.

I feel, that the Queen and I, through our presence, can bring joy and gratitude to people when they with pride show their home grounds and tell of their traditions and special sights. They often give us back a rich amount of kindness, warmth, affection and confidence. I would like to emphasize how grateful I am for these, for us, so stimulating meetings. We truly have a rich country to feel pride for.

I would also like to express my delight of the fact that Crown Princess Victoria during the past year has become an even more important support for the Queen and me in our many official duties. The Crown Princess is conducting a qualified educational programme, aiming to, in the best way possible, preparing her for the task that will one day be hers. But already at this point, she can help me, and get many expressions of affection and appreciation from the people she meets. I feel pride for her, and I know that she is grateful and looks to the future with confidence.

During the past year, we have celebrated the Royal Palace of Stockholm’s 250-years jubilee. After the devastating palace fire in 1697, it took more than half a century before the new palace was finished and ready to be occupied in 1754. It was the then being royal couple, Adolf Fredrik and Lovisa Ulrika, who got to take it in occupation.

The Royal Palace of Stockholm is a grand building that provides character to the whole of central Stockholm. The Palace holds art treasures of a magnificent kind and carries many historic memories. It belongs to us all. It is therefore my wish that as much as possible, shall be open to interested visitors from far and near.

But the Palace is not only a historic building. It is also a living workplace for the Queen, Crown Princess and me, as well as for our capable employees. We have a joint task to cherish, protect and show the cultural heritage that is here. Tours, exhibitions, concerts and church services every Sunday is a part of what is offered during eleven of the year’s twelve months. During 2004, the Palace has been celebrated in many ways, and I have rejoiced over the large crowds of people that have come. Welcome back!

Sweden is our country, which we love to its foundations. Here, we want to be able to live well. We have a responsibility to protect and preserve it, but also to review what is happening.

Our children are the most precious we have. All of us parents surely want to give our children the best, and I do not mean in material respect. Children need vast amounts of comfort and love, not at least as a counterbalance to the violence that is flushing over us, often in an entertaining purpose. Let us help each other to safeguard them that do not have voices strong enough to speak for themselves.

Sweden is today a multicultural society. You that have come to us from other countries and cultures supply our society with new worth by Your knowledge, experience and traditions – and You have to be met with openness and respect to be able to grow into our society. We can never ever silently accept expressions of racism or hostility. As citizens, we all have obligations towards our fellow beings and towards the society in general. There is an old word in our Christian tradition that I myself happily return to. It has a universal validity and exists in many other cultures with little variations. “All that you want people to do for you, you shall also do for them”. It is not called “the golden rule” for nothing.

Let us try to apply it. Reach out a hand. Take time to listen and give of ourselves. Let us show aprreciation to others, and respect every individual beings right to intergrity. This is my wish for the new year.

And now, from the Queen and my whole family, to You all: a very good continuation of the Christmas and after that a Happy New Year!

*If you understand a little Swedish (or just wanna hear him), you can listen to the speech online, click here and click on "lyssna på Kungens jultal"
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

These perfumes also reverts to the foundation in Sweden and other in Portugal, when you buy these perfumes.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Majesty

what year did silvias parents die and where are they burried
Old 01-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Silvias father Walther Sommerlath died in october 1990 and was buried in Hiedelberg. His wife Alice died in march 1997 and was aslo buried at the cementary in Heidelberg
Old 01-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho
These perfumes also reverts to the foundation in Sweden and other in Portugal, when you buy these perfumes.
What do you mean?

Closed Thread

Tags
carl gustav, current events, king carl xvi gustav, queen silvia, silvia