King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 2: June 2004 - April 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Article from DN about the Royal couple in Obersdorf:
http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=672&a=383800&previousRenderType=8

Questions to the king:
The king wasn´t too disappointed about the swedish effort
-This was tough (good) like always, but one has hoped for one place better though

The king has missed Tuesday´s sprint, but it wasn´t the rain of medals, which has started (put speed on) the king´s plan to go?
-No, no, this here was planned a long time ago

Sprint and relay race in sprint are quite ok, but 50 miles is the only "distance for kings" (in the sense of "top event")?
-Of course

Are you serious
-Yes. The strongest wins. But as watcher I thought the relay race sprint was quite good.

A german journalist wondered what the king thought about bavarian bread, something that his wife likes very much
-I´m reducing weight. I don´t eat bread. But I like bavarian veal sausages and beer, of course

Attachments

• DN2.jpg
    DN2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Dn1.jpg
    Dn1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 202
"veal sausages and beer, of course" and a diet lol. I am bavarian this just does not work!

mixer2002de said:
"veal sausages and beer, of course" and a diet lol. I am bavarian this just does not work!

:D :D Thought the same...this must be an own created very excentric diet. When you eat only sausages and drink beer you surely lose weight.

I just saw your PM, Lena.. I think your translation is good! Its a weird text even in swedish, but I think one can understand the context now!

GrandDuchess said:
The King and Queen attending the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships
Hardly a picture I would have expected to see !

A Norwegian flag in front of the Swedish Royals ... where is the good in that?
- hardly favours Sweden!

Attachments

• Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_4.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 162
Lena said:
:D :D Thought the same...this must be an own created very excentric diet. When you eat only sausages and drink beer you surely lose weight.

Must be the Bavarian version of the Atkins Diet...

Yennie said:
I just saw your PM, Lena.. I think your translation is good! Its a weird text even in swedish, but I think one can understand the context now!

Thank you...one question is left: Here are swedish miles meant? So it´s 50 kilometers?

Expressen has today a little bit more details about the slimming king. Erik Lallerstedt, a friend of him and owner of a restaurant has written a book about his own created diet: http://www.adlibris.se/shop/product.asp?isbn=9153425421&mscssid=EBDA44JLUNFQ9JV311WQQLXN12H13MVD
Basic of the diet is to be careful with sugar, bread, butter and cheese and to train daily (would explain the kings ergometer in the cellar). Except that you can eat everything, so you don´t have to avoid delicatessen.
It´s said the king has gotten this book for Christmas (I would kill my family and friends, when they would give me a diet book for Christmas!)

Article in Expressen:
http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=247731

Yes, its probably swedish miles, so 10 kilometers = 1 mil(e)

Haha, does the King really need to diet?! I think he is very slim for a, almost, 60 year old man! And is beer and sausages really working :D

Video-clip about an little interview between queen Silvia and sport reporter Gerd "Rubi" Rubenbauer. It´s in german, so if you want to hear the queen speaking german, I would recommend to watch it.
Silvia said among other things, that she likes cross country skiing, but is really bad in it. Her children, esp. prince Carl Philip and princess Madeleine are much better.
Further she said, that she keeps the fingers of her one hand crossed for the swedish team and the ones of the other hand for the german team. Silvia praised the good organisation of this championships. She said, that she and her husband often "bring the sun with them" (Gerd asked her if she has brought the sun with her, because it was the first sunny day) and she said finally, that she hopes for apple strudel for tea time and for bavarian veal sausages for the evening.

http://www.br-online.de/cgi-bin/ravi.pl?v=video/&g2=1&f=sf-20050225-rubi-und-silvia_g.rm

bäh you eat veal sausages in the morning befor eleven otherwise they are not that good anymore...

mixer2002de said:
bäh you eat veal sausages in the morning befor eleven otherwise they are not that good anymore...

The bavarian reporter said the same (Silvia said she knows, but she will "sin" this day). So it seems bavarians have an clear opinion on that. But I don´t get it. When you make the sausages later, I would say they still taste the same, as if you have made them at 5am (and have eaten them in the noon)

http://www.hotel-exquisit.de/
Thats the hotel where they stay in Oberstdorf. They also have some flash oversight of the panorama. And if you find their bar presentation you can have a virtual guide through the bar where the "Royals" can enjoy the evening in a vip lounge.

Lena said:
The bavarian reporter said the same (Silvia said she knows, but she will "sin" this day). So it seems bavarians have an clear opinion on that. But I don´t get it. When you make the sausages later, I would say they still taste the same, as if you have made them at 5am (and have eaten them in the noon)

Well the butcher makes them in the morning. As it is a lot of work. This sausage has a lot of ingridients that get quickly quite bad. E.g. animal blood is used to make them. In former times you could not keep them for a very long time. Nowaydays there a two types of quality grades. The ones you can still eat in the evening, the others which cannot be kept that long. Of course the first one qualify for EU standards for keeping and storing of and can be kept much longer and are mostly sold as its easier. The 2nd class has to be consumed within 6 hours which makes them more expensive, but a hell better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few more pics of the King and Queen attending the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships in the end of February, from Fotomarktplatz:

Attachments

• Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_18.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_18.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_19.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_19.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 256
  • Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_20.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_20.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_21.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_21.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_22.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_22.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 189
In September, Their Majesties will visit Norway.Do they have any plans for another Official or State Visit yet?

The Swedish king & queen will visit Norway 10-11 june to mark 100 years since the union between Sweden & Norway where ended. The norweigian king & queen will make the same trip to sweden 1-2 september.

Here are even a few more pics of the King and Queen attending the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships in the end of February, from Over and Contrastphoto:

Attachments

• Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_28.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_28.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_30.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_30.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_29.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_29.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_27.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_27.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 192
  • Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_26.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_26.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_25.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_25.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_24.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_24.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 223
  • Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_23.jpg
    Skid WM 25 Feb 2005_23.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 242
Yesterday, Friday 11 March, the King visited a military regiment in Jämtland. He had a hectic schedule that aimed to meet his wishes of following all of the education and activities carried out at the regiment. During the visit, the King got to try a machine gun, a sniper gun and a shell riffle, as well as driving some sort of combat vehicle. The King also met with a group who are currently doing their military service at the regiment.

I’m sure this was a very exciting, interesting and also perhaps a bit of a nostalgic visit for the King, who did some of his basic military education at this regiment, and was the Duke of Jämtland before he became King.

Pictures from the Defence:

Attachments

• I 5 Jämtland 11 mars 2005_1.jpg
    I 5 Jämtland 11 mars 2005_1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 134
  • I 5 Jämtland 11 mars 2005_2.jpg
    I 5 Jämtland 11 mars 2005_2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 147
  • I 5 Jämtland 11 mars 2005_3.jpg
    I 5 Jämtland 11 mars 2005_3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 142
  • I 5 Jämtland 11 mars 2005_4.jpg
    I 5 Jämtland 11 mars 2005_4.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 180
  • I 5 Jämtland 11 mars 2005_5.jpg
    I 5 Jämtland 11 mars 2005_5.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 159
Tomorrow The King and the Queen will visit Kenya.

Does The Queen has lady-in-waiting?Anybody know that?

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Does The Queen has lady-in-waiting?Anybody know that?
Yes, she has two ladies-in-waiting - they are Christina von Schwerin and Louise Törneman.

The head of The Queen's Household is also another close staff of hers, and she used to be a lady-in-waiting as well before she was appointed to her new position (now she is the "boss" of the ladies-in-waitings too). She is Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke, and her title is the Lady of the Court.

any pictures from the couple's state visit to Kenya?

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Do you have any pics of them going with The Queen on visits?
Nope, sorry... :( I will keep an eye out for them in the future though, but I can't find any at the moment...

agisele said:
any pictures from the couple's state visit to Kenya?
It's not a state visit - it's just a (semi) official trip to visit the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and some other things as well perhaps... No pictures yet.

PS. Great signature! :)

I've looked everywhere but haven't found any pictures - except one from an article at UNEP's website... Here is the pic and article, from the official website of the United Nations Environmental Programme:

InsertImage.asp

UN-Swedish Cooperation Crowned by Visit of the Royal Couple to UN Nairobi HQ

Nairobi, 16 March 2005 - An active commitment to the United Nations (UN) has been a corner-stone of Sweden’s foreign policy. Sweden has been active within a broad spectrum of the UN's fields of operations including peace and security, disarmament, environmental protection, and human rights.

Today, His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden, and Her Majesty Queen Silvia, paid an official visit to the United Nations Offices at Nairobi (UNON) that aims to further consolidate ongoing cooperation between Sweden and the international organization, with special emphasis on relations with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and UN-HABITAT. The King and Queen were received at the UN headquarters in Nairobi by UNON Director-General/UNEP Executive Director, Mr. Klaus Toepfer and UN-HABITAT Executive Director, Mrs. Anna Tibaijuka.

Following the signature of the honourary guest book, Their Majesties participated in a tree planting ceremony at the UN compound, where they planted an indigenous Kenyan tree - Ocotea usambarensi. Following meetings with a number of UN officials, the royal couple visited the UNEP supported Nature and Sports Camp for youth in Langata – a pilot project associating sport and the environment.

It is worth mentioning that Sweden continues to play a crucial role in the advancement of the work of UNEP, with consistent high-level contributions to the Environment Fund and support to various UNEP programmes. Noteworthy is the long-term agreement signed between the government of Sweden and UNEP, during the last Governing Council's 23rd Session in Nairobi, securing an additional US$3.9 million contribution to UNEP's priority programme areas in 2005.

UNEP- Swedish Cooperation

Sweden hosts the US$13.2 million UNEP-led, GEF- financed initiative - the Global International Waters Assessment (GIWA) project in collaboration with the University of Kalmar which played a significant role in strengthening the scientific capability of GIWA. The establishment of “The Swedish water house” – an initiative by the Swedish Government – and GIWA´s active participation has also contributed to the strengthening of the programme. The GIWA assessment is a baseline for activities for the development of environmental improvements in the world’s water bodies.

Sweden has been active in advancing the cause of women in environmental decision making and natural resource management. The Swedish government provided substantive and financial support for the organization of UNEP’s First Global Women’s Assembly on the Environment, held in Nairobi in October 2004. It also spearheaded the development of a UNEP Governing Council decision on gender equality in the field of the environment, adopted at the 23rd session of the GC/GMEF.

UNEP and UNDP are working in partnership with Sweden and other European counterparts on the Environment and Security initiative. The Initiative started its work in Central Asia and South Eastern Europe. It identified environmental problems with potential security (conflict; tensions) risks through stakeholder consultations, and analysed the socio-economic circumstances around the “hot spots”. Major problem areas were identified related to water scarcity; hazardous waste; the risks and impact of mining practices; and cross-border biodiversity loss. Cross-cutting activities include awareness-raising of environment-security risks and hotspots, in particular through working with and supporting the mass media and through institutionalizing local access to relevant environmental information.

In the field of chemicals, Sweden has signed, ratified and provided funding for the Rotterdam Convention on hazardous chemicals and pesticides in international trade and the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants. It has also been an avid supporter of the Basel Convention on Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal.

Global Mercury Assessment – (GC Decision 21/5 and 22/4 V) - Sweden has welcomed the work done by UNEP in Global Mercury Assessment, considering the establishment of the mercury programme as a big step forward and actively providing financial and technical support to the programme.

Sweden is the lead for the Arctic Council Action Program (ACAP) Project on the Reduction/Elimination of Emissions of Dioxins and Furans with focus on the Arctic and northern regions impacting the Arctic.

An agreement was forged between the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) and UNEP on the Capacity Building Programme for Least Developed Countries on Trade, Environment and Development. The agreement provides a unique and flexible framework to implement a coordinated and comprehensive set of highly participatory activities in cooperation with UNCTAD - including thematic research, country projects, training and policy dialogue - to respond to these capacity building needs.

In the field of Production and Consumption - SIDA is supporting UNEP’s Project on Greenhouse gas Emission reduction in Industries in Asia-Pacific (GERIAP). Sweden is also actively supporting UNEP's work on the ten year framework on Sustainable Consumption and Production.

Various agreements were signed with SIDA to support Global Coordination of the Regional Seas Programme and implement activities in the following regions: the Caribbean, East Asia Seas, East, West & Central Africa, and the North East Pacific.

i saw this on the news they almust forced the queen to dance

Great video. Thanks for posting it. Good to see the king and queen dancing. Everybody is having a fun time too.

Pictures of the King and Queen on their visit to Kenya this week, pictured here with different UN and also Kenyan officials, as well as people from the Swedish delegation. The pics are from the Royal Court, but taken by the Swedish Embassy in Nairobi.

Attachments

• Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_1.jpg
    Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_2.jpg
    Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 210
  • Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_3.jpg
    Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_4.jpg
    Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_4.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_5.jpg
    Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_5.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 176
  • Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_6.jpg
    Kungaparet Kenya mars 2005_6.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 182
Thank you for the pictures, GrandDuchess. It seems the Royal family is confronted with "wild" animals this week.

GrandDuchess said:
It's not a state visit - it's just a (semi) official trip to visit the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and some other things as well perhaps... No pictures yet.

PS. Great signature! :)

sorry, must have misinterpreted the purpose of their trip.

and thanks for the compliment. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom