King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 1: November 2002-June 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, thanks!!

In that previous picture Silvia looks very sweet...

Originally posted by kittencrews@Dec 3rd, 2003 - 11:32 pm
I would not have though Carl would have more money than Victoria... is it because he is a male and she is a female??
I got thinking: the heritage from prince Bertil??? Of course Princess Lilian got her legal part of the money, but I was wondering about that Prince C-P maybe got like a house and even some money, could that be an explanation? :unsure:

Ibl - Göteborg Kungen Var Prisutdelare Av Utmärkelsen Svensk Kvalitet 2003 Priset Gick Till Läkargruppen I örebro Och Agria Försäkringar Här Peter Seger örebro

Ibl - Göteborg Kungen Var Prisutdelare Av Utmärkelsen Svensk Kvalitet 2003 Priset Gick Till Läkargruppen I örebro Och Agria Försäkringar Här Anders Mellberg Och Hans Jonsson Agria

Ibl - Göteborg Kungen Var Prisutdelare Av Utmärkelsen Svensk Kvalitet 2003 Priset Gick Till Läkargruppen I örebro Och Agria Försäkringar Här Anders Mellberg Och Hans Jonsson Agria

Ibl - Göteborg Kungen Var Prisutdelare Av Utmärkelsen Svensk Kvalitet 2003 Priset Gick Till Läkargruppen I örebro Och Agria Försäkringar

Ibl - Göteborg Kungen Var Prisutdelare Av Utmärkelsen Svensk Kvalitet 2003 Priset Gick Till Läkargruppen I örebro Och Agria Försäkringar

Attachments

• 200.jpg
    200.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 201.jpg
    201.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 182
  • SW_carl_gustav_503.jpg
    SW_carl_gustav_503.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 178
  • SW_carl_gustav_503a.jpg
    SW_carl_gustav_503a.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 194
  • SW_carl_gustav_503b.jpg
    SW_carl_gustav_503b.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 188
Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking that the recent controversy about the King and his successor .....

Yennie .... is there a new law coming (down the pike) about a retro-active change to the RF ?

I am inclined to believe that I would be fussed too, if the law is changed which would change my past.

To take it - this scenario of retro-active changers - to the extreme, consider the following example of if the law were changed tomorrow, that states that since 1985, Queen Sylvia is the "Head of State" ... how would you feel about it ???????

"To take it - this scenario of retro-active changers - to the extreme, consider the following example of if the law were changed tomorrow, that states that since 1985, Queen Sylvia is the "Head of State" ... how would you feel about it ???????"

Long Live the Queen!

Nice photos from tonight.

could you deliver on the nice photo's of tonight (Dec. 15)?

Here I go again. Good practice:

Queen Silvia has saved the monarchy(Good start)

In two days time, Queen Silvia will be turning 60 years old. Few queens have ever been as popular as her and hardly 1 of the 71 queens Sweden has had since the day that Eric Segersälls in the 9th century(900 tal) started the Swedish monarchy, but she is still is in the upper echelon of queens as the most royal of queens since the beginning despite her not being born a royal.(Something like that). There were only(just, merely) two such before her and they were Karin Månsdotter ( 1550-1612) married to Erik XIV and Désirée Clary (1777-1860) married to Karl XIV Johan.(stupid service used the other meaning of gift; poison! Wait a minute. I thought she married Oskar 1) Just 21 of the queens have been Swedish women, the large majority(majoriteten!) have come from abroad with the most(20) coming from German principalities.

The history of the Swedish queens is dramatic, often mournful, and sometimes a bloody history as well. We know few of the early queens and in certain cases the man didn't say her name or let it be known and many became myths and some of the medieval queens became(lost) up to and including the local saint, Elin of Skövde, the tempestous(from the wind) daughter from Västergötland who according to tradition was married to king Inge in her youth. She was called Saint Helena. Coming home after a pilgrimage from Rome, she was murdered.(Helig dynga!) Inge then married another pious woman. who also travelled to Rome, came home and died whereupon she became the local saint Ragnhild of Tälje (1075-1117).

After all of this, Inge got tired of religious women(such a man) and got married to the tempestous Norwegian called Ulfhild Håkansdotter( 1095-1148). who showed herself to be a really dangerous woman!, a murderess by poison, and the intriguing spouse that Shakespeared measured(sized up, wrote about) and obviously without the smallest ambition to travel to Rome.(Technically, that doesn't make sense. So she wasn't religious. Still Rome had a lot of power. Anyway.) According to the crown or chronology of events, she was stupid or short after the wedding she received her man and killed(!!!) the same king(! or the swimming king!) and his older brother Filip. In time, Inge(must have been the Lappish king then) died too(Died down. Odd. I saw that coming), after he had consumed the "wicked drink"(Good grief). Then she married the Danish King Niels Svendsson and he was also stupid(and maybe short) and thereafter he died under obscure circumstances whereupon she married for the 3rd time. This time was with a new Swede, King Sverker who gave her a son who became Karl Sverkersson.(Sverker's son. Really original). From this time forward, she had a bad conscience(Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!) and probably managed herself(to get a hold of), founded Alvastra monastery and later founded Nydala monastery. She died in 1148 with few regrets?

The destiny of the queen? has been a heavy burden for many a young girl of political and dynastic cause(reason,) to be sent up to Sweden, to a country they have never seen, to a husband they have never seen, and to speak a language they have never heard. So they come to Sweden and they must forget their homeland, and must never meet again any of their relatives. She ends the task as soon as possible so that the man will gladly get several sons! so that the order of succession is secured.(Foda. Food?) Up to the 19th century, it was unusual for the queen and her husband to meet prior to her coming to Sweden. She was easily very rich, beautiul and sensible but not too wise as to be unwise or wiser than the king? In any case, it was a mark or noticeable.

Many queens were quite young. Flippa of England was only 13 when she married King Erik from Pommern. 15 year old queens was somewhat normal not only in medieval times but later as well. Gustav Vasa was a toothless, drooling 15 year old teenager when he married Katarina Stenbock who was 16. Karin Månsdotter was 15 when Erik XIV either fell into her clutches or fought tooth and nail for her. Johan III, himself a sickly man, became an old man after he took Gunilla Bielke (1568-1597) for his wife.(I'm sure there's a compliment in there somewhere) When she was 15 like past queens and queens-to-be(blivande a something to be), Queen Josefina (1807-1876 appealed to the future king, Oscar 1.

Then when in the year 1976, the German Miss(Fraulein, if you will) Silvia Sommerlath married life-happy(happy-go-lucky) King Carl Gustav, the monarchy was weak. This was a radical shift in policy.(Blew the winds of policy?) The royal court operated by and large as others did what they wanted to do as in the days of the past kings. Risking a very great part, the Royal house became a Nordic version of the House of Windsor with all of its scandals. In this case, we have had a republic already for 20 years or so. Queen Silvia showed(guided) herself(to be) the most goal-oriented(ambitious but in a nice way) and ambitious(O, well) women with her smile and her breezy charisma in the half-dead life of the Swedish monarchy.(She blew new life into it). Her energy made the royal family become a royal house for
"Sweden in our time"(Sweden for now).

It has been announced that King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia will pay state visits to Vietnam and Brunei in February 2004.

They have been invited by President Tran Duc Luong to visit in Vietnam 2-7 Feb and will go to Hanoi, Hué and Ho Chi Minh City.
Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei has invited the royal couple to visit Bandar Seri Begawan and the national park in Temburon 7-9 Feb.

My hat off to Sylvia.

It would be nice if some-one could do a comparative study between (on one hand) Sylvia, Carl Gustaf's mother and grandmother and (on the other hand) the common touch to the populace. Perhaps there is a review out there ?

Dennism  Posted on Dec 26th, 2003 - 9:54 pm
It has been announced that King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia will pay state visits ... 2004.
Too bad, its not a high priority for them to visit BC. I could show them all the 'best kept secrets' skiing venues.
- let's leave Whistler for 'high snobiety'.
- there is ____ Alpine for good downhill.
- ____ Star for a lot of 'wagon trails'.
- ____ Mountain to test your mettle.
- ____ for powder.
- a couple of others .... but I will reveal those to CG and S. :)

(Imagine Scandinavia) Queen Silvia of Sweden showed her great interest in flowers today when she opened a conference in the town of Enköping in Sweden, "Dutch perennials." She also was the first guest speaker, talking about a visit she paid some years ago together with queen Beatrix of Holland to the beautiful gardens of Enköping. Other prominent guests at the conference were the Dutch ambassador to Sweden, Rudolf S. Bekink and the Governor of the county, Anders Björk. 350 people took part in the conference. The day chosen for the conference coincided with "The day of the Tulip," celebrated each year on January 15.

(Imagine Scandinavia) Queen Silvia of Sweden showed her great interest in flowers today when she opened a conference in the town of Enköping in Sweden, "Dutch perennials." She also was the first guest speaker, talking about a visit she paid some years ago together with queen Beatrix of Holland to the beautiful gardens of Enköping. Other prominent guests at the conference were the Dutch ambassador to Sweden, Rudolf S. Bekink and the Governor of the county, Anders Björk. 350 people took part in the conference. The day chosen for the conference coincided with "The day of the Tulip," celebrated each year on January 15.

Attachments

• sylvia_1.jpg
    sylvia_1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 243
  • sylvia_2.jpg
    sylvia_2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 258
  • sylvia_3.jpg
    sylvia_3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 229
  • sylvia_4.jpg
    sylvia_4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 227
I can´t help, but in the newest pics Silvia looks much older...maybe some wrinkles grew, exactly on the day, on which she became 60 :p ( Or Victoria said "mummy, Daniel and me, we are engaged...what would that be in swedish..."Mamma, Daniel och jag/mej, vi är förlovad"??)

What a sharp scarf Silvia is wearing. I like it.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 15th, 2004 - 7:22 pm
What a sharp scarf Silvia is wearing. I like it.
Victoria has (had?) a similar one...

Attachments

• scarve.jpeg
    scarve.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 220
Yes, it would appear to be the same one or at least very similar. It looks "royal" if that means any sense.

Victoria borrows her mom's jewellery, why not the other type of accessories? It makes sense, the Queen can't wear them all at the same time.
Well, ok, in theory she could, but she'd look really funny :)

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Jan 15th, 2004 - 8:20 pm

Well, ok, in theory she could, but she'd look really funny :)
That would be modern art then :) ;)
And it would be interesting, if Victoria would lend her mother accessoires and dresses/clothes of her ;)

Or the Nobel gown from 2003. That would be interesting.

18 Feb 2004

World Cup Ski Sprinting Around the Royal Palace

This day Old Town strollers can expect something different - a World Cup ski sprint race around the Royal Palace. With its unique location right in a capital city, this event is a high point in international sprinting.

The competition is in classic style and the course is 1100 meters long(3600 feet).Three thousand cubic meters of snow will be applied to the track. Prizes will be awarded by Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf.

Skidor.com:

According to the police, the event has drawn approximately 30,000 visitors to the Royal Palace Sprint. The last two races in Stockholm outside of the Royal Palace have been won by Norwegians in the men's finals. This time the pressure is on the Swedish sprint team to show their claws just like the royal Swedish lions placed outside of the Palace.

from colourpress.com
Swedish newspapers ask Carl Gustaf to resign

Swedish newspapers criticized the swedish king in up to now unseen extent for his unbalanced praise of the Sultan of Brunei.

"The end of the monarchy", says swedish newspaper Expressen today
Expressen

"National storm after royal scandal", says swedish newspaper Kvaells Posten (evening post) today
Kvaells Posten

"The king praises the dictator", says swedish newspaper Expressen today
Expressen

"Royal swedish jealousy", says swedish newspaper Expressen today
Expressen

Oh yes, this discussion...I´ve thought the whole afternoon if I should post it or not... it just makes me angry...I hate it when politicians AND tabloids discuss such peanuts, as if it would be the most important question of the world (the half Aftonbladet-page is full of it)...it´s one thing to discuss Madeleine´s new style with passion in a tabloid, but to cry everytime "abolish the monarchy", when the king is saying something inappropriate , ridicule the king-the head of the state!... I know, how the swedish constitution works-no political power for the king...but is it really so bad, when the king tell us his opinion...he was guest of the sultan and not the Aftonbladet-reporters...
Ok, sometimes it seems as if Carl Gustaf wants to provoke a little bit, or as if he wouldn´t sometimes think enough about the questions in interviews...so maybe a good PR-advisor would help him...but there´s no need to make such a fuss...especially as long as the average reader of Aftonbladet/Expressen even doesn´t know, where Brunai is...and the politicans should just do their work, and shouldn´t just talk nonsense all the time...

Originally posted by Lena@Feb 10th, 2004 - 11:32 am
Oh yes, this discussion...I´ve thought the whole afternoon if I should post it or not... it just makes me angry...I hate it when politicians AND tabloids discuss such peanuts, as if it would be the most important question of the world (the half Aftonbladet-page is full of it)...it´s one thing to discuss Madeleine´s new style with passion in a tabloid, but to cry everytime "abolish the monarchy", when the king is saying something inappropriate , ridicule the king-the head of the state!... I know, how the swedish constitution works-no political power for the king...but is it really so bad, when the king tell us his opinion...he was guest of the sultan and not the Aftonbladet-reporters...
Ok, sometimes it seems as if Carl Gustaf wants to provoke a little bit, or as if he wouldn´t sometimes think enough about the questions in interviews...so maybe a good PR-advisor would help him...but there´s no need to make such a fuss...especially as long as the average reader of Aftonbladet/Expressen even doesn´t know, where Brunai is...and the politicans should just do their work, and shouldn´t just talk nonsense all the time...
Good grief. It's called being a good guest. You give praiseful words to your hosts. And besides, those papers are rags and I'm getting tired of them saying such stuff. Get over it. Tabloidy writings.

I to want to say that I think that it´s blown out of all proportions right now. But you´re not totally right when you say that it´s just the tabloids that saying this again, and that make me a little bit worried. :(

The thing is that EVERY newspaper and TV news in sweden right now is discussing wheather the king should resign or not, and not just the usually tabloids... The republicans is using this very well and the fact is that almost all of political sweden want´s to abolish the monarchy and they now got a good reason for doing that. They do not have the whole people behind them, but the supporters of a republic has grown bigger the latest years.

I really hopes that our wonderful royal family pulls through this and survives but I´m not at all sure that it will be so. :wacko:

Point 1: You're usually polite to the host. Sometimes it might be a good thing to downplay it a little, but this trip was made to improve relations between the countries.
Point 2: Doesn't the cabinet have to approve of his state-visits? Or at least suggest places? I'm not sure.

Or the swedish newspapers and Tv-stations bored...is it too cold in Sweden right now, so that nothing happens?!? This is sooo ridiculous!
Is it really that way, that the people in Sweden don´t stand behind the monarchy anymore? Most of the polls, that I´ve seen in the last years, showed great support for the monarchy!
And it´s clear, that the politicians are for a republic!...not matter which republic-model they would choose, the federal president ALWAYS represents the interests of a PARTY...even though it´s often claimed in republics that he/she would be neutral...

Revolution in Sweden? Forget the Velvet Revolution. It will be more like the Pillow revolution. Those crazy republicans. They're bored no doubt. Bored politicians. Dangerous. Bored TV people. Even more dangerous. Same thing here. It's what the TV networks call "Sweeps" month where they have "major" guest stars on the sitcoms or the local news shows have in-depth reports on stuff like "School girl by day. Hooker by night." and other like matters. Wait till Spring comes around. No, wait. That may be awhile. Well, they'll go onto something else. Maybe Norway will do something funny and all the Swedes will laugh about it and people will calm down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom