King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 1: November 2002-June 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexandria  Posted: Nov 25th, 2003 - 9:17 am
Has Carl Phillip ever spoken publicly about wanting to be the King of Sweden, to succeed his father rather than his sister?
imo, something of such a public answer could only come about when Victoria has been long in the reigning saddle, or she has passed away, or after Carl Phillip has renounced his succession rights and flounced out of Sweden in a snit.

How much royal dutities will Carl Phillip perform in the future?
Probably as much as Princess Lilian or Fru Magnusson do now.

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 25th, 2003 - 9:53 am
Probably as much as Princess Lilian or Fru Magnusson do now.
Who is Fru Magnusson?

... So not very much royal duties to perform for Carl Phillip in the future ... But he will get all the nice perks, benefits and priviliges of being a Prince without all the hard work and time that a Crown Prince would have to do. Sort of like Prince Harry's role to Prince William. Well, if I were Carl Phillip, I could live with that arrangement! Who would want to be King in light of that?! ;)

Who is Fru Magnusson?
That´s Princess Christiana, the king´s sister. since she got married she´s called Princess Christina, Mrs Magnusson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah! Thank you Helen88. I more often hear of her being referred to as Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnusson. I was a little bit thrown by the Fru ... but I had I been in a better state of mind I should've been able to piece that Frau in German is Mrs. and thus very close to Fru in Swedish!

I couldn't quite comprehend the recent threads, but here is another article on it:

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article158322.ece

NEWS IN ENGLISH
SWEDEN:
Victoria's father does not want her as queen

Tilrettelagt av Carin Pettersson 25.11.03 10:59

It is 23 years since the constitution was changed, but Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden is still not comfortable with the law change that makes his oldest daughter the next regent of Sweden.

“It’s strange,” said Carl Gustav in an interview on Swedish television Sunday.

Prince Carl Philip was born as the Swedish Crown Prince in 1979, but the Swedish government changed the constitution in 1980, making the oldest child inherit the throne. Suddenly Victoria became the Crown princess, and Carl Philip was degraded to prince.

The King of Sweden apparently still has a hard time with accepting the change.

“I think it’s simple, a constitution that works in retroactive force is strange.”

The King of Sweden has always been against the law change. In 1980 Carl Gustav said the following, according to the paper Vestmanland:

“I would prefer that my son Carl Philip is my successor, and I’m sure that the majority of the Swedish people would prefer to have a king on the throne.”

The Swedish court was Monday very specific when it stressed that the Kings comments do not mean that he is displeased with Crown Princess Victoria or the job she does.

The statements from the King were not at all appreciated by Swedish politicians. Gudrun Schyman, the Liberal Parties former leader, said the King’s statements is another argument to why Sweden should abolish the monarchy, and she said that she thinks it is horrible if the King questions a democratic decision.

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 25th, 2003 - 11:16 pm

“I would prefer that my son Carl Philip is my successor, and I’m sure that the majority of the Swedish people would prefer to have a king on the throne.”
I think the king should make a CLEAR statement now. Because of his statement in the early eighties, all people seem to think now, that his current statement (about the retroactive law) still means, that he thinks that women (and that would mean "Victoria"-who is a woman ;) ) are not capable to take over the throne.

I wonder who taught him to be a "male chauvinist pig" ?

Alternately, is this part of the scheme to abolish the monarchy for a monarchy, and what's CG's role / reward in this regard ?

Originally posted by Lena@Nov 26th, 2003 - 4:41 pm
...And now Aftonbladet reports that Marianne Bernadotte (the lady in the photo and widow of Sigvard) isn´t invited to Queen Silvia´s birthday party. IMO she has the same status as princess Lilian, and I bet she (Lilian) is invited....
In my opinion she does not have the same status as princess Lilian! Today of course prince/count Sigvard wouldn´t have to give up his title to marry a commoner, but when he did, that was the way, and Sigvard knew that!
Prince Bertil made the self-sacrificing act to wait until 1976 to marry the commoner Lilian, when it was alright to marry a commoner.
Prince Bertil has been "working" for the swedish people all his life when the R.F. was really small, and Sigvard hasn´t. Of course that is because he wasn´t a prince any more so he maybe wasn´t "allowed".
Right or not, this matter of getting the title back or not, the countess Marianne Bernadotte isn´t close to the family ( obviously) so why should she then get an invitation? Do you invite people in your family who you quarrel with, and even sue you?
And then there is the matter of the tiara, maybe it would have been more wise for the King to have given it back to the Count, to soothe the wounds/scars... :unsure:

You made very good points, Alva.
But there are a few things that make me feel more with Sigvard and Marianne.
First point: The king is married with a commoner, so he´s the last one, who can judge over another member of the family, who married a commoner. That are kind of double standards.
Second point: It seems as if the title would have meant a lot to Sigvard, and Roger, who wrote on the Scandinavian Royals message board (and who is IMO a reliable source) knows Marianne Bernadotte and she told him, that Sigvards last wish was to meet the king and the Queen in peace in his last hours, the king refused him that wish. But he attended the funeral AND he arranged a family lunch, BUT Marianne wasn´t invited.
Third point: You said, that usually people don´t invite family members, which they don´t like to family celebrations. But why has the king attended the funeral?
Yes, I know it´s sadly (or maybe it´s a luck, and helps to keep "modern" civilization) a common thing, that people are "mourning" other people, which they didn´t like during their life time, just for the "public". They are attending funerals and are talking with other guests about their "great wonderful auntie" ("Oh, she was suuuucccchhh a lovely person, with such a warmth in her heart...blablabla)...

"and that would mean "Victoria"-who is a woman"

And what a woman!

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 25th, 2003 - 8:16 pm

What a gufus of a king and an insensitive goof as well!

However, in support of the king's sentiments, (although I'm absolutely in support of the first born becoming the next queen or king regardless of gender), it does seem that making this ruling retroactive is interfering a little too closely within the family dynamics.

I had always assumed this was the king's idea in the first place. I can understand his displeasure if his opinion on this matter was ignored at the time. But still it is poor form for him to express his displeasure about this sensitive issue, after the fact.

"But still it is poor form for him to express his displeasure about this sensitive issue, after the fact. "

Yes, that's what I said. Why bring it up now?

Copyright Imagine Scandinavia - Stockholm, Sverige. Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf of Sweden attending the Music Academy in Stockholm, Sweden tonight.

Attachments

• 01_Queen_Silvia_2.jpg
    01_Queen_Silvia_2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 215
I'm all for equal rights, but I do find it a little odd that the King's wish that his son should succeed him was ignored (which it appears it was).

Surely, the King should have the final say in who succeeds him? Perhaps Victoria has expressed reservations to him about becoming the Queen?

Originally posted by Binny@Dec 2nd, 2003 - 3:42 am
I'm all for equal rights, but I do find it a little odd that the King's wish that his son should succeed him was ignored (which it appears it was).

Surely, the King should have the final say in who succeeds him? Perhaps Victoria has expressed reservations to him about becoming the Queen?
He made these comments in 1980 -- 23 years ago. And a retroactive law *is* a little wierd. I have no doubt that he thinks Victoria is very capable.

The change in succession was part of larger parliamentaryand constitutional reforms which began in the early 1970s. And that is why the law was made retroactive. The old salic law was held to be anachronistic with Sweden's modern values. Moreover, in the early 1970s, both the monarchy (as an institution) and the King were not as popular as they are today (he was perceived as an incompetent playboy). The change was a way of traumatizing the institution &shedding light on how (allegedly) anachronistic it was. Monarchies represent tradition and stability. Changing the succession law was
(from what I know) seen as a step in making the monarchy less
relavent (tradition wise) and moving closer to a republican system.
I know it sounds like an odd way of doing it, but if you think
about, it makes sense.

their income then fortune... swedish crowns...
---

Attachments

• lj.jpg
    lj.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 232
Why don´t the King and the queen get anything? :unsure:

Interesting that Madeleine has an own income and pay taxes. Aftonbladet wrote that she is the first royal ever to get a real paycheck from a job...

Yes, you're right and the King's feelings on the subject have been known from the beginning. I, for one, have been quite critical(despite being a democrat) of Parliament having critical says in the business of royalty. Take for example the Dutch parliament but that's for another forum. I don't know about the second part. I can't say. Anybody who has this on their horizon will feel apprehensive about it. The responsibilities alone. However, she has carried herself quite well. She has gone into the wading pool as they say and one day she will be ready to dive off of the board gracefully. Maybe I'm biased but Swedes will be proud to have her as their queen one day.

Sorry. I made this post in between Binny and Sean's but it didn't work. And I didn't check it because I went to sleep! So this is in response to Binny's comments.

Why are there two numbers on that table? :blink:

Originally posted by Helen88@Dec 2nd, 2003 - 2:47 pm
Why are there two numbers on that table? :blink:
No 1 their earnings by work last year?
No 2 the total value of all the things they posess?

Yes, that's right, Mixer. No need to doubt yourself.

51600 SEK/7.5= 6800 US dollars. Poor Emma indeed. But I don't suppose she doesn't but all of the things she needs:

"Carl darling. will you go to the store and pick up some (name of feminine hygiene product) and a loaf of bread?"

That being said, you can go a lot further in Sweden with that amount of money that you can here.

Originally posted by Dennism@Dec 2nd, 2003 - 5:34 pm

That being said, you can go a lot further in Sweden with that amount of money that you can here.
When I was in Sweden I would say:

Sweden is extraordinary expensive.
At least from my point of view!

Hasn´t Emma a more or less rich daddy, who pays for her? I remember that I´ve read something like that. I believe he has an advertising agency.
And that with the fortune is really strange. I bet Daniel, Emma and Jonas have saving books, shares...but that´s not recorded (in the list)

Imagine Scandinavia, Stockholm, Sverige. Queen Silvia, with friends, came walking to the Cathedral concert on Wednesday night. The walk was about 200 meters from the Royal Palace. Seen here: The Queen arriving at the Cathedral's north entrance, that faces the Royal Palace

Attachments

• SW_sylvia_501.jpg
    SW_sylvia_501.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 193
I would not have though Carl would have more money than Victoria... is it because he is a male and she is a female??

I think the reason why Carl Philip has more money than Victoria is that when she becomes Queen she will have the money that "goes along with it", the "apanage". But I dont think Carl Philip and Madeleine will get as much money, if any?!, as Victoria, so thats probably why they have more money than her right now

That's probably true, Yennie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom