The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
It has been announced that King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia will pay state visits to Vietnam and Brunei in February 2004.

They have been invited by President Tran Duc Luong to visit in Vietnam 2-7 Feb and will go to Hanoi, Hué and Ho Chi Minh City.
Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei has invited the royal couple to visit Bandar Seri Begawan and the national park in Temburon 7-9 Feb.

Old 12-27-2003, 03:38 AM
Royal Highness

My hat off to Sylvia.

It would be nice if some-one could do a comparative study between (on one hand) Sylvia, Carl Gustaf's mother and grandmother and (on the other hand) the common touch to the populace. Perhaps there is a review out there ?

Quote:
Dennism  Posted on Dec 26th, 2003 - 9:54 pm
It has been announced that King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia will pay state visits ... 2004.
Too bad, its not a high priority for them to visit BC. I could show them all the 'best kept secrets' skiing venues.
- let's leave Whistler for 'high snobiety'.
- there is ____ Alpine for good downhill.
- ____ Star for a lot of 'wagon trails'.
- ____ Mountain to test your mettle.
- ____ for powder.
- a couple of others .... but I will reveal those to CG and S. :)

Old 01-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

(Imagine Scandinavia) Queen Silvia of Sweden showed her great interest in flowers today when she opened a conference in the town of Enköping in Sweden, "Dutch perennials." She also was the first guest speaker, talking about a visit she paid some years ago together with queen Beatrix of Holland to the beautiful gardens of Enköping. Other prominent guests at the conference were the Dutch ambassador to Sweden, Rudolf S. Bekink and the Governor of the county, Anders Björk. 350 people took part in the conference. The day chosen for the conference coincided with "The day of the Tulip," celebrated each year on January 15.

(Imagine Scandinavia) Queen Silvia of Sweden showed her great interest in flowers today when she opened a conference in the town of Enköping in Sweden, "Dutch perennials." She also was the first guest speaker, talking about a visit she paid some years ago together with queen Beatrix of Holland to the beautiful gardens of Enköping. Other prominent guests at the conference were the Dutch ambassador to Sweden, Rudolf S. Bekink and the Governor of the county, Anders Björk. 350 people took part in the conference. The day chosen for the conference coincided with "The day of the Tulip," celebrated each year on January 15.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sylvia_1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	35738   Click image for larger version

Name:	sylvia_2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	35739   Click image for larger version

Name:	sylvia_3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	35740   Click image for larger version

Name:	sylvia_4.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	35741  

Old 01-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I can´t help, but in the newest pics Silvia looks much older...maybe some wrinkles grew, exactly on the day, on which she became 60 :P ( Or Victoria said "mummy, Daniel and me, we are engaged...what would that be in swedish..."Mamma, Daniel och jag/mej, vi är förlovad"??)
Old 01-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Majesty

What a sharp scarf Silvia is wearing. I like it.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 15th, 2004 - 7:22 pm
What a sharp scarf Silvia is wearing. I like it.
Victoria has (had?) a similar one...
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Majesty

Yes, it would appear to be the same one or at least very similar. It looks "royal" if that means any sense.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Courtier

Victoria borrows her mom's jewellery, why not the other type of accessories? It makes sense, the Queen can't wear them all at the same time.
Well, ok, in theory she could, but she'd look really funny :)
Old 01-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Fireweaver@Jan 15th, 2004 - 8:20 pm

Well, ok, in theory she could, but she'd look really funny :)
That would be modern art then :)
And it would be interesting, if Victoria would lend her mother accessoires and dresses/clothes of her
Old 01-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Courtier

Ooh, picture Her Majesty in that pretty red dress Victoria wore recently!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Majesty

Or the Nobel gown from 2003. That would be interesting.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Majesty

18 Feb 2004

World Cup Ski Sprinting Around the Royal Palace

This day Old Town strollers can expect something different - a World Cup ski sprint race around the Royal Palace. With its unique location right in a capital city, this event is a high point in international sprinting.

The competition is in classic style and the course is 1100 meters long(3600 feet).Three thousand cubic meters of snow will be applied to the track. Prizes will be awarded by Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf.

Skidor.com:

According to the police, the event has drawn approximately 30,000 visitors to the Royal Palace Sprint. The last two races in Stockholm outside of the Royal Palace have been won by Norwegians in the men's finals. This time the pressure is on the Swedish sprint team to show their claws just like the royal Swedish lions placed outside of the Palace.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Courtier

from colourpress.com
Swedish newspapers ask Carl Gustaf to resign

Swedish newspapers criticized the swedish king in up to now unseen extent for his unbalanced praise of the Sultan of Brunei.

"The end of the monarchy", says swedish newspaper Expressen today
Expressen

"National storm after royal scandal", says swedish newspaper Kvaells Posten (evening post) today
Kvaells Posten

"The king praises the dictator", says swedish newspaper Expressen today
Expressen

"Royal swedish jealousy", says swedish newspaper Expressen today
Expressen
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 02-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh yes, this discussion...I´ve thought the whole afternoon if I should post it or not... it just makes me angry...I hate it when politicians AND tabloids discuss such peanuts, as if it would be the most important question of the world (the half Aftonbladet-page is full of it)...it´s one thing to discuss Madeleine´s new style with passion in a tabloid, but to cry everytime "abolish the monarchy", when the king is saying something inappropriate , ridicule the king-the head of the state!... I know, how the swedish constitution works-no political power for the king...but is it really so bad, when the king tell us his opinion...he was guest of the sultan and not the Aftonbladet-reporters...
Ok, sometimes it seems as if Carl Gustaf wants to provoke a little bit, or as if he wouldn´t sometimes think enough about the questions in interviews...so maybe a good PR-advisor would help him...but there´s no need to make such a fuss...especially as long as the average reader of Aftonbladet/Expressen even doesn´t know, where Brunai is...and the politicans should just do their work, and shouldn´t just talk nonsense all the time...
Old 02-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Feb 10th, 2004 - 11:32 am
Oh yes, this discussion...I´ve thought the whole afternoon if I should post it or not... it just makes me angry...I hate it when politicians AND tabloids discuss such peanuts, as if it would be the most important question of the world (the half Aftonbladet-page is full of it)...it´s one thing to discuss Madeleine´s new style with passion in a tabloid, but to cry everytime "abolish the monarchy", when the king is saying something inappropriate , ridicule the king-the head of the state!... I know, how the swedish constitution works-no political power for the king...but is it really so bad, when the king tell us his opinion...he was guest of the sultan and not the Aftonbladet-reporters...
Ok, sometimes it seems as if Carl Gustaf wants to provoke a little bit, or as if he wouldn´t sometimes think enough about the questions in interviews...so maybe a good PR-advisor would help him...but there´s no need to make such a fuss...especially as long as the average reader of Aftonbladet/Expressen even doesn´t know, where Brunai is...and the politicans should just do their work, and shouldn´t just talk nonsense all the time...
Good grief. It's called being a good guest. You give praiseful words to your hosts. And besides, those papers are rags and I'm getting tired of them saying such stuff. Get over it. Tabloidy writings.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Courtier

I to want to say that I think that it´s blown out of all proportions right now. But you´re not totally right when you say that it´s just the tabloids that saying this again, and that make me a little bit worried. :(

The thing is that EVERY newspaper and TV news in sweden right now is discussing wheather the king should resign or not, and not just the usually tabloids... The republicans is using this very well and the fact is that almost all of political sweden want´s to abolish the monarchy and they now got a good reason for doing that. They do not have the whole people behind them, but the supporters of a republic has grown bigger the latest years.

I really hopes that our wonderful royal family pulls through this and survives but I´m not at all sure that it will be so.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Point 1: You're usually polite to the host. Sometimes it might be a good thing to downplay it a little, but this trip was made to improve relations between the countries.
Point 2: Doesn't the cabinet have to approve of his state-visits? Or at least suggest places? I'm not sure.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Or the swedish newspapers and Tv-stations bored...is it too cold in Sweden right now, so that nothing happens?!? This is sooo ridiculous!
Is it really that way, that the people in Sweden don´t stand behind the monarchy anymore? Most of the polls, that I´ve seen in the last years, showed great support for the monarchy!
And it´s clear, that the politicians are for a republic!...not matter which republic-model they would choose, the federal president ALWAYS represents the interests of a PARTY...even though it´s often claimed in republics that he/she would be neutral...
Old 02-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Majesty

Revolution in Sweden? Forget the Velvet Revolution. It will be more like the Pillow revolution. Those crazy republicans. They're bored no doubt. Bored politicians. Dangerous. Bored TV people. Even more dangerous. Same thing here. It's what the TV networks call "Sweeps" month where they have "major" guest stars on the sitcoms or the local news shows have in-depth reports on stuff like "School girl by day. Hooker by night." and other like matters. Wait till Spring comes around. No, wait. That may be awhile. Well, they'll go onto something else. Maybe Norway will do something funny and all the Swedes will laugh about it and people will calm down again.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

What exactly did the King say that is causing such an outrage in Sweden?

Closed Thread

Tags
carl gustav, current events, king carl xvi gustav, queen silvia, silvia