The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Apr 18th, 2004 - 7:31 am
som i årtionden granskats från topp till tå när det gäller allt från klänning och smycken till frisyrer.-for this sentence I need your help...no idea, how I should translate it.
- [/b]
The sentence says that the queen " who for decades is looked upon from head to toe, including everything from dress and jewelry to hairstyle" and so on. Hope this makes more sense?

Louise

Old 04-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The sentence says that the queen " who for decades is looked upon from head to toe, including everything from dress and jewelry to hairstyle" and so on. Hope this makes more sense?

Louise [/b]
Yes, this way it makes sense...thank you very much for your help, Louise :flower:

Old 04-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone here know on which Day Her Majesty the Queen will be on Good Morning america?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Good question. I am thinking Friday. The schedule I saw is rather sketchy for that day.
But I have not heard what day yet. Probably Thursday or Friday.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by timtonruben359@Apr 19th, 2004 - 8:22 pm
Does anyone here know on which Day Her Majesty the Queen will be on Good Morning america?
My understanding is that it will be either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. The Queen is scheduled to arrive in New York on Wednesday for a UNICEF function. If you check the ABC website they post the schedule of guests and topics of the next day's show. So on Tuesday you could see if the Queen is schedule to be on.

(If you find out, please keep the rest of us in the loop&#33
Old 04-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Courtier

I was just wondering, was Queen Silvia royalty before she married the King?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by cd_1@Apr 21st, 2004 - 1:11 pm
I was just wondering, was Queen Silvia royalty before she married the King?
No she was not!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Royal Highness

For any of those that have a chance to watch, Queen Silvia interview on Good Morning America is airing this morning. On th east coast, it should be on in the next 45 minutes or so. :)
Old 04-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Majesty

Silvia was indeed on this morning on GMA. At the top of the 8 o´clock hour, they introduced the stories for the hour and they mentioned her and they showed a little clip. She was receiving flowers from a little girl during the ceremony on her birthday in the courtyard. She was on after the half hour break. And as often is the case, they showed the guest just sitting or standing there and they do not know the camera is on them so they have this funny grin on their face and Silvia was no exception. The nerve of them.

Anyway, they showed her and they said that she will talk about her country and her mission of mercy for the children of the world. Then one of the hosts, Charlie Gibson, notes that there is a queen in the studio and a queen in the harbor, the Queen Mary 2. So after the news she was on:

Diane Sawyer: We`re joined now by Her Majesty the Queen of Sweden who has a very powerful purpose she`s here to talk about. But of course we first heard the romantic story of the handsome young man looking through binoculars allegedly at an organizer and interpreter of the Olympics and decided that she was the woman whom he wanted for his queen. She joins us now and she has won the heart of Sweden. Not only her husband but her immensely impressive children have done so. And Her Majesty Queen Silvia joins us.

Silvia. Thank you very much.

Diane. Is that a true story? He looked through the binoculars?

Silvia. He did. From two meters. The distance.

Diane. And you did not speak Swedish at the time?(comments to yourself, people)

Silvia. No. Of course not .

Diane. That`s the power of romance. You were telling me. Tell me some of your favorite places in the country. If we go there, what must we see? And you were telling me about a birthday party that you had at the Ice Hotel.

Silvia. Yes. It`s true.

Diane. You slept on the floor.

Silvia. On the ice.

Diane. On the ice! And here you are at the birthday party(same footage as before) And they had an orchestra for you. And here we are inside(footage of the hotel). It is all ice. It melts in the spring.

Silvia. Exactly. It is melting now and will be rebuilt in November again

Diane. And you said that they had a special treat for you. An orchestra of instruments made of ice.

Silvia. Made of ice. A cello, drums, and it was beautiful. A fantastic experience. So please do come.

Diane. Thank you. I was angling for an invitation. I think we have some footage here. It is the organ of ice

Silvia. Isn`t beautiful?

Diane. Yes and here we have the flute of ice. That must be hard on the lips for the person playing that. Well, it is an extremely beautiful country. But I want to talk about why you are here and what you have spent so much of your time on. It`s called the World Childhood Foundation. It is for children who are the victims of abuse all over the world.

Silvia. Yes. We are focusing on Sexual abuse. Children, teenagers and young mothers. and girls at risk. And so it started many years ago in 1996. We had the first World Congress in Stockholm and this convinced me to do something myself and to create awareness of this problem.

Diane. And this problem stretches the world. Every hemisphere. On both sides of the equator.

Silvia. Yes, we have projects in Brazil, South Afrca, Thailand, Germany and the United States.

Diane. And when people say to you "What can be done?" What is the most important thing to do? Is it different in each country? Or is it same when you confront a child who has gone through this?

Silvia. The problems are slightly different in different countres. For example in Brazil, we deal with a lot of sexual abuse. Meanwhile, in Russia, we have problems with trafficking which is becoming a bigger problem around the world. Unicef is talking about 1.2 million children. So this problem is accelerating terribly.

Diane. And you were saying to me that you hear the statistic and you hear it in the abstract but everyone needs to listen to one child sit and talk about the reality of being abused in Thailand.

Silvia. Thailand, Brazil. All over the world. It`s terrible. You listen to them and you hear about how pass through and how difficult the problems are. But then you are amazed how a child getting the right support and the right help and a new self-esteem can go on with their lives and believe in the future. But they still have this experience inside of them. They will always have it. This type of abuse really destroys the personality of a child and so I am trying to give them the childhood; it`s worth a name and they are really longing for it

Diane. And in some cases, places to live? And give them support to rethink what they have gone through and go on with their lives?

Silvia. Yes, we identify the projects and organizations that are doing a good job and we give them the support, financial support, to go on with even more children. At the moment, we have 17 projects in 14 different countries.

Diane. Yes, you can find out more about it on our website. But I can not let you leave just yet. We have a few more pictures for all of us who dream about going to Sweden. Thank you, your majesty.

And they showed the family being photographed before the concert for her birthday this past December. Then they showed the King and Queen walking up the stairs and reaching the top before the concert itself.

She wore that light brown blazer and skirt. And had the white long scarf on. I forget what it is called but it was worn across the front.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Commoner

I saw the interview almost by accident today since I don't normally watch TV. I was in the waiting room of an auto repair shop. They had Good Morning America on the TV and guess who appears, Queen Silvia. Unfortunately the interview was too short, and I wish they discussed more. She seemed very pleasant, and I was surprised by her soft-spokenness. They showed some nice film clips of the family and the ice hotel.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you so much Dennis for posting the information on the interview on "Good Morning America", you are the best! :flower: It gave all of us non-Americans, who can’t see the show, an idea of how it was and everything. Now I can only hope for a small clip somewhere.

Here are two links to UNICEF’s website, where you can read more on the launch of the Code of Conduct for the tourism industry. You can see two pictures and one short video with a sequence of The Queen during her speech. I have not found any more pictures, but if anyone does, please post them.

Unicef 1

Unicef 2
Old 04-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone have pics of Queen Silvia's hats?She has so little hat.She always appears without hats????
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 04-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Translation from article in Aftonbladet 23 April.

Ericsson – a bargain for The King!
The King is richer. He has made 20 million SEK on the Ericsson share’s rise on the stock market. Even so, he is 104 million SEK poorer than three years ago.

At the turn of 2000/2001, The King had 15 different blocks of shares in Swedish companies. They were then worth 212 million SEK. Today The King’s shares are worth 108 million SEK. This after The King chose to double his holdings in Ericsson when their share was at 3,80 SEK. Today the share has risen to 24,30 SEK and the worth of The King’s holdings from 4 million SEK to about 25 SEK. This according to today’s Dagens Industri.

The total worth of all The King’s shares are today 108 million SEK. Three years ago the worth was 212 million SEK. Bengt Telland, superintendent at the Royal Court say to Dagens Industri about the Ericsson share’s rise:
- I guess you can see it as comfort after all these downfall years.

The King’s shares today (in million SEK):
Astra Zeneca 56,7
Ericsson 25,6
Atlas Copco 7,7
SEB6 1
Skanska 4,4
Drott/Fabege 2,7
ABB 2,0
Investor 1,7
Skandia 0,8
Scania 0,5
Saab 0,1

Sum: 108, 3 million

Source: Dagens Industri

(SEK = Swedish Crowns)
Old 04-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Heir Apparent

So I've tried really hard to find any pictures or information on The Queen's visit to New York, but apart from the above postings from Unicef, it's been really hard to find anything. These pictures are from today's papers, but the articles were really BAD (not even articles, I don't know what to call them) and not worth posting. If someone else finds anything, please post it!

The Queen 1

The Queen 2
Old 04-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandDuchess@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 3:04 pm
Thank you so much Dennis for posting the information on the interview on "Good Morning America", you are the best! :flower: It gave all of us non-Americans, who can’t see the show, an idea of how it was and everything. Now I can only hope for a small clip somewhere.

You are welcome. It was a pleasant interview but I would have preferred someone else other than Diane to do it though.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Courtier

Loosing nearly 10 Million €, wow, I would be really pissed. Now I know why he looks so angry on some pics.

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandDuchess@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 6:17 am
Translation from article in Aftonbladet 23 April.

Ericsson – a bargain for The King!
And whats about the rest of the family?
Old 04-24-2004, 03:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
GrandDuchess  Posted: Apr 23rd, 2004 - 6:17 am

At the turn of 2000/2001, The King had 15 different blocks of shares in Swedish companies.
I suppose he can only invest in Swedish stocks to demonstrate his patriotism.
I wonder if Saab is aerospace (or cars which is owned by GM)?
Old 04-24-2004, 06:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@Apr 24th, 2004 - 1:56 am
I suppose he can only invest in Swedish stocks to demonstrate his patriotism.
If this were correct, I would not have any shares at all.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Majesty

I doubt it has to be only Swedish stocks. I mean all of the stocks there are well-known. A lot of people have them. The king suffers with the people as it were. Or celebrates when the stocks do well. A problem would be if he decided to buy 10,000 shares of a company with 50 employees. That would be suspicious.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennism@Apr 24th, 2004 - 8:24 am
A problem would be if he decided to buy 10,000 shares of a company with 50 employees. That would be suspicious.
Why would that be a problem, be suspicious?
If he would become main shareholder he would be allowed to say whats going on.

I think it would be strange if he bought a majority of shares of Mr Westlings Gym.
And then using his position as main shareholder to fire him.

Well I think he would/might not stand in a good light if he owned:

- shares of a blue movie production company
- shares of a (American) prison building company
- shares of a sex toy/magazine distributor
- shares of a corporate raider (when they raid and destroy a swedish company, so that a lot of Swedes would loose their job and it would be a bargain for him)

but on the other hand side you could make a lot of money with these shares.

Tags
carl gustav, current events, king carl xvi gustav, queen silvia, silvia