King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 4: Oct 2005 - July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My translaton of a press release from the Royal Court:

11 January 2006

Statement by H.M. The King after the notice of Birgit Nilsson’s passing

With Birgit Nilsson’s passing, Sweden has lost one of its greatest artists. The one who has had the benefit of experiencing her both on stage and in private will never forget it, not the least her warm sense of humour. Thanks to innumerable recordings, her songs are also kept for the world after her.

It is with great gratitude we remember her and her song.

CARL GUSTAF

My comment: I was personally very saddened to hear of her passing. Though I’m a generation to young to have experienced her in her golden years, La Nilsson (as she’s called in the opera world) has always touched my heart with her singing and her warm personality. I loved her voice, and she was such an incredible opera singer on stage – she really reached out to everyone, even me who has only seen her on TV. Last year I also saw an old TV interview with her from the 1960’s I think it was, and her personality was so vibrant and warm, everyone just had to love her. La Nilsson held the honorary "title" of Court Singer.

Sweden has lost a national treasure. May she rest in peace.

birgit446qh.jpg

The picture is scanned from an old issue of Expressen

NJRedDevils said:
But great Speech and sometimes i wish Kings or Queens should acutally rule a country than a President or Prime Minister. For their Voice to make a difference in what is happening around the world and in their own country.
I couldn't agree more.

When I see the Swedish prime minister on TV with his pompous style I usually think of him as a majesty in his own little kingdom.

His Pompous Majesty Göran Persson could be replaced ANY DAY by Carl Gustaf or Victoria. Or at least some key duties could be trusted with the monarch instead of a politician.

There's too much prestige and disagreeing among politicians. Someone ought to ''spank'' them from time to time, remind them that they are elected because people trust them to deal with big issues.

Daneborn said:
I couldn't agree more.

When I see the Swedish prime minister on TV with his pompous style I usually think of him as a majesty in his own little kingdom.

His Pompous Majesty Göran Persson could be replaced ANY DAY by Carl Gustaf or Victoria. Or at least some key duties could be trusted with the monarch instead of a politician.

There's too much prestige and disagreeing among politicians. Someone ought to ''spank'' them from time to time, remind them that they are elected because people trust them to deal with big issues.

His Majesty, king Göran...sounds wonderful. His heavy pompous body in a coat of ermine, a crown padded with velvet, and a lackey serving him permanently cheese snacks...I can see it ;)

I think you have to change some words "Garl Gustaf and Victoria could be replaced ANY DAY by Göran Persson". It wouldn´t be a big step from a prime minister to a president (similar to the systems in France or the USA)
And when you talk about competence, I also don´t see the king or the crown princess as politicians. For that it takes more than to smile a little and to say "I love children & animals"...to take children and animals as example for political work:When you want to protect animals, you have to punish the ppl, who produce cheap food & products by taking advantage of animals. Through that the prizes go up and ppl will complain. When you want to do something for the education & health of children you have to take the money from anywhere else and then you make minus points at the groups, where you have taken money from. When a catastrophe happens you are as politican the boo-man, because you haven´t tried to avoid it by investing money. When a catastrophe happens, you are as Royal the star, because you seem to share their feelings.
Lately I spotted this poll on TV4 (The question: who should be the first female prime minister) I thought immediately: Do the Swedes, who participated in this poll have an IQ of 75?? Victoria in the second place, while other women, who really deal with politics are far back. Do these ppl really think, Victoria could be the highest ranked politician in Sweden?? Victoria, who shows no substance in interviews and who has learnt to talk about sugar things and the ideal world. Victoria would not manage* it and Sweden would lose a term in office to an experiment. The political world is hard and not fun, you can hardly always win. Yes, a lot of the politicians think about their own interests and are ppl, who really need attention. But at least you have ones, who do the job. Yes, a democracy is unfair, but it is the fairest way of governing.

*When she would do it alone. With the right advisors also actors can do political work.

Last edited:
mandyy said:
Dropper omstridt opera
Det svenske kongeparet sa først ja, men ombestemte seg etter samtaler med Olof Palmes familie.........
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1197458.ece

Can someone help translate this article? Thx
Its about that the royal couple first said yes to attend the opera "Maskeradbalen" by Verdi at the Malmö Opera but later changed their minds after hearing that they changed the person who will be murdered, from king Gustav III to the prime minister (= refering to swedish primeminister Olof Palme who was murdered in Stockholm 1986)

The royal court talked to the Palme family and after that they decided to pull out of the concert, because of a "change of plans"

Last edited:
From Expatica:

German expat named Sweden's 'top immigrant'

STOCKHOLM - German-born Queen Silvia has been named number one immigrant in Sweden, a Swedish-language magazine written and produced mainly by second generation immigrants said Tuesday.

Queen Silvia was asked if she felt Swedish, and said she did. "It is like when you are expecting another child. Your expectations are high and you wonder if there is room enough to love the child as much. When you have the third child it shows that you can love that too, and that is how I feel about Brazil, Germany and Sweden."

Full story here.

Lena said:
I think you have to change some words "Garl Gustaf and Victoria could be replaced ANY DAY by Göran Persson". It wouldn´t be a big step from a prime minister to a president (similar to the systems in France or the USA)
And when you talk about competence, I also don´t see the king or the crown princess as politicians. For that it takes more than to smile a little and to say "I love children & animals"...to take children and animals as example for political work:When you want to protect animals, you have to punish the ppl, who produce cheap food & products by taking advantage of animals. Through that the prizes go up and ppl will complain. When you want to do something for the education & health of children you have to take the money from anywhere else and then you make minus points at the groups, where you have taken money from. When a catastrophe happens you are as politican the boo-man, because you haven´t tried to avoid it by investing money. When a catastrophe happens, you are as Royal the star, because you seem to share their feelings.
Lately I spotted this poll on TV4 (The question: who should be the first female prime minister) I thought immediately: Do the Swedes, who participated in this poll have an IQ of 75?? Victoria in the second place, while other women, who really deal with politics are far back. Do these ppl really think, Victoria could be the highest ranked politician in Sweden?? Victoria, who shows no substance in interviews and who has learnt to talk about sugar things and the ideal world. Victoria would not manage* it and Sweden would lose a term in office to an experiment. The political world is hard and not fun, you can hardly always win. Yes, a lot of the politicians think about their own interests and are ppl, who really need attention. But at least you have ones, who do the job. Yes, a democracy is unfair, but it is the fairest way of governing.

*When she would do it alone. With the right advisors also actors can do political work.
Read my lips; :p
His Pompous Majesty Göran Persson could never, NEVER, never replace the King or Victoria.

If the Swedish people think so highly of Victoria's political skills it says more about the current state of politics in Sweden than it says about Victoria.

Swedish politics these days (after Olof Palme, Carl Bildt and Ingvar Carlsson) are too much about personal prestige and power hunger and the only people who survive in this circus are those who never use their conscience and have a teflon memory. What happened to make the world a better place and working to make conditions easier for fellow citizens :confused:

Personally, I don't think I would think of Victoria as a prime minister, maybe as president, but I suppose she came in second (who was no# 1 ??) because she is considered to stand above personal prestige and power hunger and she has personal integrity and her way of talking levels with the people.

Besides I don't think Victoria herself aspires for the prime minister job.

But - it doesn't take a physic to realise that Mr. Persson absolutely drooooowls to get the president job.

Lena said:
His Majesty, king Göran...sounds wonderful. His heavy pompous body in a coat of ermine, a crown padded with velvet, and a lackey serving him permanently cheese snacks...I can see it ;)
Oh, I'm sure it's not just YOUR dream. I can so easily imagine when Göran and his precious Anita ''rehearse'' this when they're spending their weekends at their countryside mansion. (Why do you think he's so fat anyway :D :D :D )

Daneborn said:
Oh, I'm sure it's not just YOUR dream. I can so easily imagine when Göran and his precious Anita ''rehearse'' this when they're spending their weekends at their countryside mansion. (Why do you think he's so fat anyway :D :D :D )

lol! yeah i think he'd enjoy being king very much and would take to the luxury with great ease.

If the Swedish people think so highly of Victoria's political skills it says more about the current state of politics in Sweden than it says about Victoria.

Swedish politics these days (after Olof Palme, Carl Bildt and Ingvar Carlsson) are too much about personal prestige and power hunger and the only people who survive in this circus are those who never use their conscience and have a teflon memory. What happened to make the world a better place and working to make conditions easier for fellow citizens :confused:
I think it´s funny, how Sweden is always shown as an example for peace, wealth, social justice, a well balanced household, job market, school system, pension scheme etc. pp. in politicial discussions here. But who nags? The Swedes. When I´ve learnt one thing from watching the Swedish Royal family and therefore also the Swedes, then it is, that no ppl can nag like Swedes (one would mean, I´m a born Swede ;) )
The politicans are power-hungry, so what. As long as things run, don´t complain.
This better world thing is something for the dustbin. Woolgathering of some ppl, who have changed their opinions today. This doesn´t mean, that one should not try it. But you will never get the whole thing done. Not as long as you work with human beings and as long as you govern human beings.

Personally, I don't think I would think of Victoria as a prime minister, maybe as president, but I suppose she came in second (who was no# 1 ??) becau se she is considered to stand above personal prestige and power hunger and she has personal integrity and her way of talking levels with the people.

Margot Wallström...working far away for this abstract something called EU :D
Well, how should Vickan be power-hungry? She got a place as head of state promised with the first cry, she did ;)
I think things would be a lot more different, when they would take her all money, privileges and the title away. I´m pretty sure, the other day a person called "Victoria Bernadotte" would try to get into the EU or UN ;) One can see that quite good with all the exile-Royals...they never seem to accept, that their glory days are over.

(Why do you think he's so fat anyway )

:D Because he loves cheese snacks and does a nap or two in between ;) He said that in an interview. It was nearly as interesting as his long and broad descriptions of the pain in his hips ( I had to think at once of Victoria and her long and broad description about her dyslexia...here we go again Swedes=nags :rolleyes: :p ;) )

Lena > I think you are a little disturbed with the thought of our future Queen Victoria and princely consort Daniel Westling, am I right ??

Just as I am with His Pompous Majesty Göran Persson :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if we're allowed to have a political discussion here :confused: so for now I think we better leave it there, okay ;)

Daneborn said:
Lena > I think you are a little disturbed with the thought of our future Queen Victoria and princely consort Daniel Westling, am I right ??

Just as I am with His Pompous Majesty Göran Persson :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if we're allowed to have a political discussion here :confused: so for now I think we better leave it there, okay ;)

Yes, let´s leave it now.
Nope, not disturbed with Daniel Westling...I learn to like him. But the year 2005 was Victoria-wise not the very "best" :rolleyes: I think it´s getting ridiculous with Victoria biting at the press, talking about throne over love etc. So I rather would want a wedding with Daniel at once. A smitten Victoria could make some points at me.

what are the Plans for the Kings 60th birthday this year?...I hope they do what the Queen of Denmark did and have a Gala dinner with alot of other Royals if so it would be good to see Queen Elizabeth attend (although I highly doubt it)

Huddo said:
what are the Plans for the Kings 60th birthday this year?...I hope they do what the Queen of Denmark did and have a Gala dinner with alot of other Royals if so it would be good to see Queen Elizabeth attend (although I highly doubt it)
Yah.it'd be really good to see if Queen Elizabeth II be there, but we not sure, we just have to wait and see, as Her Majesty reaches her 80's i'm not sure if she plans to travels more, but it's not nice to send only Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall.

Queen Silvia in Greece

Athens, GREECE: Queen Silvia of Sweden leaves the Zappeion conference Hall in Athens after attending a round table against the trafficking of human beings 23 January 2006.
(from getty)

Attachments

• 56650626.jpg
    56650626.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 56650604.jpg
    56650604.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 56650624.jpg
    56650624.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 183
Queen Silvia of Sweden leave the Zappeion conference Hall in Athens after attending a round table against the trafficking of human beings 23 January 2006.

#1-4: ANP
#5: HELLO magazine

Attachments

• 2331726.jpg
    2331726.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 2331736.jpg
    2331736.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 173
  • 2331762.jpg
    2331762.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 155
  • 2331766.jpg
    2331766.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 176
  • queensilviapic.jpg
    queensilviapic.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 222
Thank you so much for finding these pictures! The Queen looks great - beautiful, happy, relaxed and in a good mood it seems!

She's in Athens to attend The Suzanne Mubarak Women's International Peace Movement's round table talks about trafficking.

Very nice to see the Queen out and about.

The King got an award today:

Kungen får pris av Situation Stockholm

Publicerad 24 januari 2006 - 18:54
Uppdaterad 24 januari 2006 - 18:55

Kungen har enhälligt blivit vald till 2006 års mottagare av Situation Sthlms nyinstiftade pris Bängkäppen. Prismotiveringen lyder: Kung Carl Gustaf Bernadotte tilldelas Situation Sthlms pris Årets Bängkäpp 2006 för att han har 608 rum i centrala Stockholm, som han inte bor i. Att göra kungen till mottagare av Situation Sthlms första Bängkäpp är en viktig humanitär och demokratisk signal till både hovet och övriga medborgare, säger juryns ordförande, tillika tidningens chefredaktör Ulf Stolt.

My translation:
The homeless people in Stockholm has through their magazine Situation Stockholm (which they sell to earn a little cash, my comment) unanimously awarded King Carl Gustaf Bernadotte with this years ''wooden stick'' award. He gets the prize for having 608 rooms in central Stockholm and not using one single of them to live in. To make the King the receiver of this year's prize is a democratic signal to the court and all citizens, says the chairman of the jury, also the editor the magazine, Ulf Stolt.

So, what do they expect the King to do :rolleyes: Open up the castle to 608 homeless people ?? Somehow I suspect it wouldn't even solve these people's problems .... They ought to get a job like everyone else, it's the perfect way to pay one's bills instead of wandering around in the underground trains.

Daneborn said:
Very nice to see the Queen out and about.

The King got an award today:

Kungen får pris av Situation Stockholm

Publicerad 24 januari 2006 - 18:54
Uppdaterad 24 januari 2006 - 18:55

Kungen har enhälligt blivit vald till 2006 års mottagare av Situation Sthlms nyinstiftade pris Bängkäppen. Prismotiveringen lyder: Kung Carl Gustaf Bernadotte tilldelas Situation Sthlms pris Årets Bängkäpp 2006 för att han har 608 rum i centrala Stockholm, som han inte bor i. Att göra kungen till mottagare av Situation Sthlms första Bängkäpp är en viktig humanitär och demokratisk signal till både hovet och övriga medborgare, säger juryns ordförande, tillika tidningens chefredaktör Ulf Stolt.

My translation:
The homeless people in Stockholm has through their magazine Situation Stockholm (which they sell to earn a little cash, my comment) unanimously awarded King Carl Gustaf Bernadotte with this years ''wooden stick'' award. He gets the prize for having 608 rooms in central Stockholm and not using one single of them to live in. To make the King the receiver of this year's prize is a democratic signal to the court and all citizens, says the chairman of the jury, also the editor the magazine, Ulf Stolt.

So, what do they expect the King to do :rolleyes: Open up the castle to 608 homeless people ?? Somehow I suspect it wouldn't even solve these people's problems .... They ought to get a job like everyone else, it's the perfect way to pay one's bills instead of wandering around in the underground trains.

Agreed. The thing is, that most homeless ppl can´t accept help...out of pride or because the next day, they are are too drunken or druggy to remember, what they wanted to do the other day. To say "here you have an apartment" hardly works and is only a superficial solution. But maybe this magazine hopes for some positive attention and thoughtful ppl through such an award. If it works...dunno.

Athens, GREECE: Queen Silvia of Sweden leaves the Zappeion conference Hall in Athens after attending a round table against the trafficking of human beings 23 January 2006.
from corbis

I have heard reports of King Carl Gustav's alleged mistresses does anyone know anything about the King being unfaithful and is it true?

As far as I know it's just rumours made up by tabloids who want to fill empty posters with sensational news. Since these people got a very limited sense of imagination they've so far only matched the King with already famous women (so the reader knows both counterparts and think it's exciting 'news').

(In my opinion it would be more 'real' if he had an affair with someone actually working at one of the castles.)

Some of Carl Gustaf's friends have gotten younger wives, I believe that's the reason why some media started speculating.

But there's never been any evidence and no mistress has ever come forth with her story.

England's national soccer team manager Swedish Sven-Goran Eriksson (R), receives the King's Medal of the Twelwth Order with Deep Blue Ribbons from Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf (L), at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden, Tuesday 31 January 2006. Partly hidden by the king is Queen Silvia.

from anp

Attachments

• 2351276.jpg
    2351276.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 217
fanletizia said:
England's national soccer team manager Swedish Sven-Goran Eriksson (R), receives the King's Medal of the Twelwth Order with Deep Blue Ribbons from Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf (L), at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden, Tuesday 31 January 2006. Partly hidden by the king is Queen Silvia.

from anp
:eek: :eek: :eek:

What a scandal.

With his questionnable lifestyle Sven-Göran Eriksson has done nothing but harm to Sweden and it's reputation.

I'm truly ashamed someone like Svennis-Penis gets a medal from the King.

I had higher thoughts about the King :(

"Svennis"

It was decided for more than one year ago (spring 2005) that Sven-Göran Eriksson ("Svennis") should be honoured with av medal from Sweden and that he, as a the famous and capable team manager he is, should receive it from the the hands of HM the King. But "Svennis" was unable to attend the cermony last year, so he got the medal this year instead. And one must remember that "Svennis", was selected to receive the medal for his reputation as a soccer team manager, not as a private person. I, myself, can think about quite a few persons in many countrys who never would have had medals from their countries if it only have been a question about their private lifes, including even Royal persons in different countrys.

Tuesday 31/1

> T.M. The King & Queen
Awarding of H.M. The King’s Medal
The Royal Palace of Stockholm

(from goff photos)

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 241
Thank you!

Thank you very much, purple platinum, for posting the great pics from the King and Queen from yesterday.
I thought we would only get to see the one picture with the Queen in the background. So I was really disappointed. :(
Now I am glad that I can see what the Queen wore.
By the way: She looks lovely like always. :)

Thank you for posting those lovely pictures, purple_platinum! Svenska Dagbladet has a webb TV clip also, click here to see it.

"Svennis" and Nancy Dell´Olio at the Royal Palace of Stockholm. Picture by Henrik Montgomery via Aftonbladet.

1: Professor Ann-Christine Bylund receives H.M. The King's Medal in the 12th size with the Ribbon of the Order of the Seraphim. Picture from Claes Göran Carlsson via the Royal Court's website, 2: Sven "Svennis" Göran Eriksson receives his medal from the King, picture by Henrik Montgomery via Aftonbladet

Attachments

• Medalj.JPG
    Medalj.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 184
  • NYHETER-01s15-15svennis1-108_368.jpg
    NYHETER-01s15-15svennis1-108_368.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
This year does not only mark the King's 60th birthday, but also the 30th wedding anniversary of the King and Queen! On 19 June, Silvia has been Queen of Sweden for 30 years, and this will be marked with a special exhibition.

On 19 May, the Queen herself will open an exhibition showing all of her Nobel dresses as well as the wedding dress at the White Sea in the Royal Palace of Stockholm. To complement the dress exhibition, pictures taken by photographer Charles Hammarsten will show Her Majesty in the dresses at the time she wore them.

Apart from the dress exhibition, there will also be one part dedicated to showing the Queen's everyday work and her many committments. The exhibition is planned to close on 31 August, but can be extended if the public demands so (visitor frequency).

# Information from an article by Dagens Nyheter today, the article can be found here (in Swedish).

Thursday 3/2

> H.M. The Queen
Opening speech at the conference “A better dementia care”
The Norra Latin School, Stockholm

(from royalcourt.se)

Attachments

• silvia.jpg
    silvia.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 208
GrandDuchess said:
On 19 May, the Queen herself will open an exhibition showing all of her Nobel dresses as well as the wedding dress at the White Sea in the Royal Palace of Stockholm. To complement the dress exhibition, pictures taken by photographer Charles Hammarsten will show Her Majesty in the dresses at the time she wore them.
I think that this is a wonderful idea, and I will certainly visit the exhibition to see all her lovely dresses in real life, I would love if they also displayed the jewels she has worn particually the tiaras:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom