King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 2: June 2004 - April 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen pics of Their Majesties in Slovenia?There are no photos in Getty Images.

great pics...but so few!..? I really can't understand why there hasn't been taken any more pics than theese..!..the press usually follows the couple whereever they go?!!! :shock: :blink: ;) thanks for posting the pics anyway... ;) great...

I could imagine that there more photos will appear later (e.g. IBL is always a little bit slow)

I´ve to say that Queen Silvia looks highly elegant in these new pictures. That´s it, how a Queen has to look.

Realy very nice pictures from the Kungaparet in Slovenien. Unfortunately I found not another pictures from 1st or 2nd day. By Polfoto (royalty)I don't found these pictures. In which rubric do you found these?

ursulajohanna  Posted: Jun 17th, 2004 - 3:30 am

... Unfortunately I found not another pictures from 1st or 2nd day. By Polfoto (royalty)I don't found these pictures. In which rubric do you found these?
I think the media has come (before me) to the same conclusion I have
.... CG's showing every indication (as I recall he did last year around this time) that the summer vacation can't come soon enough.

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 16th, 2004 - 6:48 pm
That´s it, how a Queen has to look.
As always.

Here you have a goood link: http://www.up-rs.si/eng/ See this and then choose PHOTO GALLERY, some nice photos are there. Queen Silvia looks beautiful and elegant as always. I love her :heart: !!!

Originally posted by greg@Jun 18th, 2004 - 6:37 am
Here you have a goood link: http://www.up-rs.si/eng/ See this and then choose PHOTO GALLERY, some nice photos are there. Queen Silvia looks beautiful and elegant as always. I love her :heart: !!!
Very nice pictures. Many thanks for the link of the website.
The queen and the king look very happy. ;)

Hm, happy..I´m not sure if I can agree on that. He isn´t smiling in one single picture of the link above. Yes, he probably can´t wait to be on summer vacation and to do the things he really likes (boating, Oldtimer-Rallyes, home improvement/do it yourself, gardening, running...). It was a tough first half of the year for him...firstly "brunai-gate", then the headlines about his relationship to Daniel Westling, then the story, that he drove far to fast on the motorway, increasing Anti-monarchy-opinions...

I agree. Silvia looks great in that blue gown. A true beauty.

Lena  Posted: Jun 18th, 2004 - 8:09 am

He isn´t smiling in one single picture of the link above .... It was a tough first half of the year for him...firstly "brunai-gate", then the headlines about his relationship to Daniel Westling, then the story, that he drove far to fast on the motorway
Maybe if you went to Sweden to console him, Lena ? :flower:

" Daniel Westling...increasing Anti-monarchy-opinions.."

Makes sense to me. Sorry. I can´t be diplomatic all of the time. Sometimes the green-eyed monster rears its ugly head.

Where is this quote from?
It´s from me (one site before)...or better expressed the words are from me...I´ve written it in a completely different context. And I haven´t meant it a bit the way Dennis interpreted it :p
The only thing which could here (IMO) damage the monarchy is the part of these Expressen-articles, in which is CLAIMED (don´t believe it´s true) that the king doesn´t like Daniel, because he´s uneducated. So it SEEMS to SOME people as if the king would be an arrogant snooty-nosed little upstart!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. A little bit of editing from myself but Lena does make a good point though. All of the stupid news from the press has not made for a terribly first half of the year. This could explain for his less than sunny demeanor sometimes.

From German Yahoo on 21 June:

Königin Silvia besucht Berlin

Berlin (dpa) - Das schwedische Königspaar hat heute Berlin besucht. Die Reise sei aber privat und werde nicht offiziell begleitet, teilte die Polizei mit. Wo Königin Silvia und ihr Mann Carl XVI. Gustaf wohnen, wurde nicht bekannt. Die gebürtige Heidelbergerin ist öfter in Deutschland zu Gast, in Berlin wohnt ihr Bruder. Zur Anreise aus Schweden soll das Königspaar einen blauen Ferrari benutzt haben, wie die Boulevardzeitung «B.Z.» schreibt.

I have heard that Their Majesties King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia of Sweden will visit Iceland this autumn.Is it right?

Yes, I believe The King is going on a State Visit to Iceland this fall. I don't know the dates though, but they'll be public in due time.

Windsorfan  Posted: Jun 22nd, 2004 - 1:50 am

I have heard that Their Majesties King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia of Sweden will visit Iceland this autumn.Is it right?
You coulc check out the Iceland Government webpage in this regard !

Can someone translate this? please & thanks :flower:

Die BZ hatte es als erste gemeldet - keiner wollte es glauben! Gestern die Anfahrt royal: König Carl Gustaf von Schweden, 58, kam mit seinem blauen Ferrari 456 auf Kurzbesuch in die Hauptstadt. Statt in einer luxuriösen Suite residierten er und Königin Silvia, 60, ganz bescheiden: In einem Doppelzimmer im 4-Sterne-Residenzhotel Henriette (Neue Rossstraße in Mitte). Die Übernachtung kostet dort 175 Euro. Auch die Graffitis vor dem Hotel bereiteten dem Royal keine schlaflose Nacht. Schließlich wurde sein Flitzer stets von Bodyguards bewacht. Gleich vier Männer begleiteten ihn auf seinem Spree-Besuch. Im Volvo S80 T6 (272 PS, 250 km/h) waren sie ihrem König nach Berlin hinterher gejagt.

Der hatte es auch an der Spree ganz eilig: Carl Gustaf und Silvia kamen erst um 21.30 Uhr an, sausten dann gleich zum Abendessen bei Silvias Bruder Jörg Sommerlath, 63, nach Charlottenburg. Der war auch beim Frühstück am Dienstag auf dem Hotel-Zimmer dabei. Doch Punkt neun Uhr packte Carl Gustaf schon seine Sporttaschen in den Kofferraum, und Silvia nahm auf dem Beifahrersitz Platz. BZ-Reporter Alexander Stilcken verriet der König: "Ich bin gern in Berlin, habe hier viele Freunde." Über die Potsdamer Straße ging es dann auf den Stadtring und die Autobahn Richtung Leipzig. Ziel der Autoreise: St. Maxime bei St. Tropez. Übrigens: Hinterm Steuer ist Carl Gustaf ein Gentleman. Die Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzungen hielt er auf seinem Weg aus der Stadt peinlichst genau ein...

Oh, the article is not very special...Carl Gustaf just told the reporter that now all his three children are engaged :p
Just kidding, here is the (fast done) translation.

The BZ has reported it firstly-nobody wanted it to believe. Yesterday the "arrival Royal": king Carl Gustaf of Sweden, 58, came with his blue Ferrari 456 for a short visit to the capital. Instead of a luxury-suite he and Queen Silvia, 60, stayed totally modest: In a double room in the 4-star-residence-hotel Henriette (new "Ross-street" in Mitte->part of Berlin). The overnight stay costs there 175 Euro. Even the Graffitis in front of the hotel didn´t cause the Royal a sleepless night. Because his "runabout" was guarded of his bodyguards all the time. Even 4 men accompanied him to his visit at the Spree (Spree is a river in Berlin). In a Volvo S80 T6 (272 HP, 250 km/h) they followed the king to Berlin.

He (the king) was in hurry at the Spree as well: Carl Gustaf and Silvia arrived at 21:30, scooted/hurried to a dinner at (the place of) Silvia´s brother Jörg Sommerlath, 63, in Charlottenburg (another part of Berlin). This one was also present at the breakfast on Tuesday in the hotel room.
Dot nine Carl Gustaf already packed his sport-bags in the trunk and Silvia took place at/on the front passenger's seat . The king told BZ-reporter Alexander Stilcken: "I like it to be in Berlin, have a lot of friends here". Over the Potsdamer street it/he went to the Stadtring ( ring of streets around the city) and then on the motorway in right to Leipzig. Destination of the journey: St. Maxime in the near of St. Tropez. BTW: Behind the steering-wheel Carl Gustaf is a gentleman. He observed the speed limits on his way out of the town meticulously.

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 23rd, 2004 - 12:19 pm
BTW: Behind the steering-wheel Carl Gustaf is a gentleman. He observed the speed limits on his way out of the town meticulously.
in the inner city as a non german he had to go to the next police station to pay his fine, cash!
With nice police pics and so on. I think he knew that. And as a German police man might not know him he would have some fun. Beeing temporalily arrested for speeding and that in Germany. That would be to much for the press in Sweden!

Thanks Lena!

when do you think we´ll hear this, now THAT would be some article!
Carl Gustaf just told the reporter that now all his three children are engaged

Originally posted by Yennie@Jun 23rd, 2004 - 8:11 pm
Thanks Lena!

when do you think we´ll hear this, now THAT would be some article!
Carl Gustaf just told the reporter that now all his three children are engaged
The whole young Bernadotte-bunch? Hm, not before 2010, I think.

A serious question:
- is this the first time that CG drives outside of Sweden?

mixer2002de  Posted: Jun 23rd, 2004 - 10:37 am

in the inner city as a non german he had to go to the next police station to pay his fine, cash!
With nice police pics and so on. I think he knew that. And as a German police man might not know him he would have some fun. Beeing temporalily arrested for speeding and that in Germany. That would be to much for the press in Sweden!
When I got my fine, I was informed of photo-radar. Surely CG didn't want that embarrassment.

Here´s an article about the King´s adventures out on the Autobahn. Another interesting tidbit of info. They like German meatballs with red wine. Yummy:

"Fartkungen" lätt på gasen på Autobahn :p

Kungen gasade på genom Tyskland i sin blå Ferrari.
Den tyska pressen upptäckte honom och försökte följa efter - men kungen körde så sakta att reportrarna tröttnade.
Det svenska kungahuset är mycket populärt i Tyskland. De tyska reportrarna som läst om kungens framfart på de svenska vägarna ville kolla om han skulle slå nytt hastighetsrekord på Autobahn.
Det gjorde han inte. Kungen körde försiktigt.
- Han hölls sig strikt efter fartbegränsningen, säger tidningen BZ:s reporter Alexander Stilcken.
Kungen och Silvia passar på att bil- semestra i Europa på väg till sitt hus i Saint Tropez på Franska rivieran.

Fyra säkerhetsvakter
Kungaparet har fyra säkerhetsvakter med sig på resan. De får nöja sig med att köra Volvo S80 T6 med 272 hästkrafter och en toppfart på - i dessa sammanhang - beskedliga 250 kilometer i timmen.
I måndags kväll kom kungen och Silvia till Berlin. När de är i stan på officiella besök bor de alltid på Adlon. Men den här gången nöjde de sig med ett rum för 1 750 kronor per natt på hotell Henriette i Östberlin. Det relativt nya fyrstjärniga hotellet ligger på sidogatan Neue Rosstrasse i stadsdelen Mitte.

Tyska köttbullar
Efter att kungaparet checkat in vid 22-tiden blev de hämtade av Silvias bror, diplomaten Jörg Sommerlath, 63.
Sällskapet fortsatte kvällen på krogen "Zur Letzten Instanz". Silvia och kungen åt en stadig middag med tyska köttbullar, öl och rödvin. Jörg nöjde sig med kålrullader.
Följande morgon blev Ferrarin framkörd prick klockan nio. Silvia och kungen bar själva ner sina väskor och fortsatte resan söderut - i lagenliga 120 km/h

King

Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom