King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 1: November 2002-June 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Alexandria@Oct 10th, 2003 - 11:50 pm
At times like these I wish I had been more conscientious in dating my magazing clippings! I would say that the picture was taken within the last 5 years - after 1999.

Maybe some can shed better light on this ... The article was in HELLO! magazine in which the Queen was interviewed about the progress of her World Childhood Foundation. The article says that Victoria is presently 23, Carl Philip 21 and Madeline 18.

Bah, I forgot to quote. Anyway, the interview was in 2000. I have the article somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Silvia gives a prize to a german doctor at an allergy research center in Uppsala. www.polfoto.dk
1#

2#

3#

4#

Attachments

• sil1.jpeg
    sil1.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 254
  • sil2.jpeg
    sil2.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 173
  • sil3.jpeg
    sil3.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 181
  • sil5.jpeg
    sil5.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 184
www.ibl.se - Besök på Pharmacia DiagnosticsAB angående allergiåret. Drottning Silvia och VD Magnus Lundberg

www.ibl.se - Besök på Pharmacia DiagnosticsAB angående allergiåret. Drottning Silvia får en allergimolekyl i glas av VD Magnus Lundberg

www.ibl.se - Besök på Pharmacia Diagnostics AB angående allergiåret. Dr Gesine Hansen mottager PhARF award (Pharmacia Allergy Research Foundation) av drottning Silvia

www.ibl.se - Besök på Pharmacia Diagnostics AB angående allergiåret. Dr Gesine Hansen mottager PhARF award (Pharmacia Allergy Research Foundation) av drottning Silvia

www.ibl.se - Besök på Pharmacia Diagnostics AB angående allergiåret. Drottning Silvia med allergimolekyl i glas

www.ibl.se - Besök på Pharmacia Diagnostics AB angående allergiåret. Drottning Silvia talar med Dr Gesine Hansen framför blodanalysmaskinen

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 993
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 900
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 890
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 865
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 955
  • 1e.jpg
    1e.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 960
An allergy molecule in a glass?...I wonder what the mean by that. An allergy molcelue is so tiny, that you can´t see it, and actually allergy-causing particles are everywhere in the air (of course it differs from people to people what causes allergies on them). But maybe this is just a model :unsure:

Polfoto 30-10-2003 Den svenske dronning Silvia overrækker en allergiprs til den tyske læge Gensine Hansen ved en ceremoni i Uppsala.

Attachments

• sylvia.jpg
    sylvia.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 276
Is the King Duke of Jämtland as he was when he was a crown prince?

Polfoto 04-11-2003 Drottning Silvia fotograferad på hennes arbetsrum i Kungliga slottet i Stockholm infør hennes 60-årsdag.
www.polfoto.dk

Attachments

• sylvia_1.jpg
    sylvia_1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 291
  • sylvia_1a.jpg
    sylvia_1a.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 233
  • sylvia_1b.jpg
    sylvia_1b.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 226
  • sylvia_1d.jpg
    sylvia_1d.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 238
  • sylvia_1f.jpg
    sylvia_1f.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 220
  • sylvia_1g.jpg
    sylvia_1g.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 261
  • sylvia_1h.jpg
    sylvia_1h.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 232
Alexandria  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 6:49 pm

Polfoto 04-11-2003 Drottning Silvia fotograferad på hennes arbetsrum i Kungliga slottet i Stockholm infør hennes 60-årsdag.

Don't tell me ... Hans Majestaet (King Carl Gustav) will have a similar cushion beside him on his official photograph at age 60 ? :innocent: :flower: :unsure: ;) :rolleyes: :p

Those photos are nice, but those photos aren´t her best. Silvia in my mind "stored" as "almost sixty year old, but not looking like an almost sixty year old" looks in those pictures not sooooo young anymore. I hope we will see more interesting pics in December, when she will really turn sixty. I also hope for "special" family photos (compareable to those, which were made in 2001 for "her" book.)

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 4th, 2003 - 6:55 pm

Don't tell me ... Hans Majestaet (King Carl Gustav) will have a similar cushion beside him on his official photograph at age 60 ? :innocent: :flower: :unsure: ;) :rolleyes: :p
The king has the same cushion, but of course with the words "It ain´t easy being king" on it and not with "Queen" ;)

Lena  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 7:44 pm
Alexandria  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 6:57 pm
Those photos are nice, but those photos aren´t her best. Silvia in my mind "stored" as "almost sixty year old, but not looking like an almost sixty year old" looks in those pictures not sooooo young anymore. I hope we will see more interesting pics in December, when she will really turn sixty. I also hope for "special" family photos (compareable to those, which were made in 2001 for "her" book.)
I agree. The standing shots look horrendous ... they should have dumped them and not even given them out. The seated shots are marginally better .... I was tempted to post earlier (and chickened out until some braver soul came along :innocent: ) that she is not smiling with her eyes here {try it, cover her mouth with your hand and see how she looks then} ...
Like, is she stressed out, children giving her a hard time, hope its not health?

But I thought these where the "of age 60 " photo's ?
So, what occasion is this ?
Her book ?

Lena, you don't provide answers .. you provoke more queries :) !!!

Lena  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 7:48 pm

The king has the same cushion, but of course with the words "It ain´t easy being king" on it
oh .. how come the same wording, him being ..so to say .. the ruler, and not his lovely wife ?

Also, you figure they have a cushion only with the english version ?

Dennism  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 8:15 pm

Royal cooler is .... chic.
And ... I never noticed before, in the national colours too !!!

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 4th, 2003 - 8:00 pm

Lena, you don't provide answers .. you provoke more queries :) !!!
With my many side notes I provoke your questions, and then I have to answer it, and so I will soon celebrate my 1000. post-it´s all calculation :p
And of course this is a discussion-board, without questions it would "die"!
The book was written to her 25 years as Queen-jubille, and it´s more or less a photo-book, with some interviews of the Queen.
Well, I think that is just the beginning of some series of pictures to/for her 60. birthday. I guess that there also will be a family picture session.
BTW (I´ve found this, while looking at a swedish bookshop for a photo of the mentioned book) what is the book "David Puma och drottning Silvia" about?!

Picture of the book (from 2001):

Attachments

• silvia.gif
    silvia.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 655
Lena  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 8:43 pm

BTW (I´ve found this, while looking at a swedish bookshop for a photo of the mentioned book) what is the book "David Puma och drottning Silvia" about?!

Picture of the book (from 2001):

Excellent picture !!!
Hardly looks like the Sylvia that I have become accustomed to !!!

Polfoto 05-11-2003. West Tunhem. Sweden's King Carl VXI Gustaf and Prince Carl Philip during Wednesday annual elk hunting in Hunneberg south of Gotenburg.
www.poltofo.dk

Attachments

• gustav_1.jpg
    gustav_1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 167
  • gustav_1a.jpg
    gustav_1a.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 146
  • gustav_1b.jpg
    gustav_1b.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 233
  • gustav_carl_1.jpg
    gustav_carl_1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 159
Alexandria  Posted: Nov 5th, 2003 - 6:44 pm

Polfoto 05-11-2003. West Tunhem. Sweden's King Carl VXI Gustaf and Prince Carl Philip during Wednesday annual elk hunting in Hunneberg south of Gotenburg.

In comparison to (reflective jacket) clothing of hunters in Canada, the King has surprisingly little in the way of garb on that is reflective - one band of orange reflectant on his hat, and nothing else !

And a tie on during hunting ... quite the formal occasion (in Europe). Maybe its reflective as well ??

www.svd.se

there will not be a big party when the queen turns 60
she will spend the birthday with her family
but there will be a ballet the night before and the royal family will attend

Hjälp till utsatta barn när drottningen ska fira

Vad ger man en 60-åring som redan har allt? När drottning Silvia, som fyller 60 år den 23 december, fick frågan vad hon önskar sig till sin födelsedag blev hennes spontana svar: - Tänk om alla goda krafter kunde stödja varandra i arbetet för utsatta barn i Sverige.

Sagt och gjort. Fredagen den 12 december ordnas ett stort seminarium "Barnen - Drottningens hjärtefråga" i Bernadottebiblioteket på Kungliga slottet. 130 inbjudna eldsjälar och representanter från bland annat Rädda barnen, BRIS, Unicef, Röda korset, Kvinnoforum och Fryshuset men också från mindre organisationer som Klassmorfar och Samba, Samarbete för prioritering av barnen, kommer att mötas och utbyta erfarenheter. Goda exempel räcker inte, man måste också hitta samarbetsmodeller, olika sätt att utnyttja varandras kompetenser.
Att barn - inte alla, men alltför för många - känner sig ensamma och svikna, utsatta för mobbning och övergrepp visar statistik och rapporter. På drottningens födelsedagsseminarium kommer några barn att berätta om sina egna erfarenheter. Där finns vuxna "bästingar" som kan vittna om hur de en gång var unga "värstingar". Livet är föränderligt, hopplöshet kan förvandlas till hopp.
Seminariet leds av Annika Dopping och spelas in av TV 4. Ett sammandrag kommer att sändas den 29
december.
Och vad gör drottningen på själva födelsedagen?
Enligt hovets presstjänst kommer hon att fira födelsedagen privat, med familjen. Men kvällen före, måndagen den 22 december ger Kungliga operan en födelsedagsföreställning av Nötknäpparen, med kungafamiljen på hedersplats. Samtliga intäkter av föreställningen kommer att gå till Silviahemmet.

The king has the same cushion, but of course with the words "It ain´t easy being king" on it and not with "Queen
hopefully :p

:eek: 42-and she was 57 on the photo!

57 !!???!!

On that photo, she looks 38 to me.

So, it´s time for the famous sentence, which average looking women say, when they look enviously at pictures of models, actors...AND 57-years-old-Queens, who look like 38: "THAT`S ALL RETOUCHED, THAT´S ALL DONE WITH THE COMPUTER" :p

" So, it´s time for the famous sentence, which average looking women say, when they look enviously at pictures of models, actors...AND 57-years-old-Queens, who look like 38: "THAT`S ALL RETOUCHED, THAT´S ALL DONE WITH THE COMPUTER"

Well, my friend is young and not so average looking but she believes that Silvia is quite good looking.

That was more or less a joke. I´ve never doubt, that she´s beautiful, especially when you consider, that she will become 60 in a few days!

Originally posted by Lena@Nov 9th, 2003 - 7:55 pm
So, it´s time for the famous sentence, which average looking women say, when they look enviously at pictures of models, actors...AND 57-years-old-Queens, who look like 38: "THAT`S ALL RETOUCHED, THAT´S ALL DONE WITH THE COMPUTER" :p
:lol: @ Lena!
Of course, all done with the computer! :lol:
I like that picture very much and I wonder how she manages to look that good, I mean, she has a hard job and raised three children and all... :rolleyes:

Swedish king says his son, not daughter, should take over throne
Mon Nov 24, 6:35 AM

STOCKHOLM (AFP) - Twenty-three years have passed since Sweden adopted a new Succession Act, but King Carl Gustaf XVI is still upset that his eldest child, Princess Victoria, and not his only son will become Sweden's next monarch.

The Swedish Constitution was changed in 1980, giving the eldest child of the royal couple the right to the throne, regardless of gender.

The new law stripped seven-month-old Carl Philip of the title of Crown Prince and made his elder sister Victoria, now 26, heir to the throne.

Victoria is hugely popular in Sweden and is widely viewed as a capable and worthy successor to her father, but the king nonetheless said at the weekend that he was displeased by the change in the law.

Asked by Swedish television whether he still believed the change was wrong, he said:

"Of course. It's simple. A constitutional law that works retroactively, that's odd," he said.

A spokesman for the royal family, Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, stressed that the king was however very pleased with the way Victoria was carrying out her duties as crown princess.

IMO the king is right in the ONE thing, that it´s not fair, that the law was changed retroactive. So they took Carl-Philip´s rights...although as 6-months old baby this was probably not a problem for him...
But I think the king shouldn´t show his disappointment about the fact, that his son isn´t his successor that open.
I´m not 100% sure, if it´s true, but it was often quoted, that he said "A woman isn´t good for this job".
However, I bet his attitude hurts Victoria, who always tries to do her best.

Originally posted by Lena@Nov 24th, 2003 - 10:48 am
IMO the king is right in the ONE thing, that it´s not fair, that the law was changed retroactive. So they took Carl-Philip´s rights...although as 6-months old baby this was probably not a problem for him...
But I think the king shouldn´t show his disappointment about the fact, that his son isn´t his successor that open.
I´m not 100% sure, if it´s true, but it was often quoted, that he said "A woman isn´t good for this job".
However, I bet his attitude hurts Victoria, who always tries to do her best.
Very interesting article, Lena. Thanks for sharing it. And you make some very good points about it, too.

I agree, that I don't think it's right of the King to say publicly that he thinks his son should succeed him rather than his eldest daughter. It would indeed be very hurtful. Even though he says afterwards that he thinks Victoria is doing a good job, it's still a compliment in hindsight. Here is a young woman who has struggled with personal problems, from her anorexia to dyslexia, and who by all accounts is trying her hardest to do a good job and represent her country well, and here is her own father knocking her down.

While I can see from the King's perspective that being a reigning monarch would be much harder on a woman because of say, pregnancy, however, knowing that, the King should try and be more supportive and encouraging of his daughter and her role and responsibilities, not criticize her because of her sex.

The nerve of him! That being said, I thought this was public knowledge from the beginning? Yes, while I agree that Parliament had no reason to change the law. There should not have been a law in the first place. Therefore, it should have been to the eldest born child anyway!

I think the reason why the King feels this way is not being sexiest but rather that he feels bad for Prince Carl Philip being stripped of his titled, granted he was way too young to know what was going on anyways and from what I've read in the past I don't think the Prince minds not being first in line to the throne.

It's a necessary change that all Monarchies have or will make soon. Women are more then capable of doing the "top job" just as well as men. I don't think he meant it as an insult to Princess Victoria. I think it's more likely he is more protective of his daughters, like most fathers are, and worried about the pressure that will be placed upon her shoulders when she becomes Queen.

I guess he's just a traditionalist along the lines of "daughters give you grandchildren, sons take over the family business."

Either way Sweden will not change the law of sucession so he'll just have to deal with it.

That's right. He keeps on making a big deal about it. It's not like Carl Philip knew what was going on at the time. Victoria is my queen! Carl Philip should enjoy the ride like Madeleine is!

I think the rules should be changed ... the decision only being made when the reigning monarch passes away
- at which time it is apparent which of the kids likes it the most,
- who gets on the best with the politicians, and
- who the public favours the most.

In this manner, it becomes a bit of a dog race for all the kids, with no outright favourtism of the oldest child or oldest son.

Good grief. That may turn into the Lion in Winter then. Just kidding. The Bernadottes are nice people.

Originally posted by Dennism@Nov 24th, 2003 - 1:43 pm
Carl Philip should enjoy the ride like Madeleine is!
:p If I were Carl Phillip, I wouldn't want to be King. I'd much prefer to coast on the ride, too!

Has Carl Phillip ever spoken publicly about wanting to be the King of Sweden, to succeed his father rather than his sister? How much royal dutities will Carl Phillip perform in the future? As much as Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and the Earl and Countess of Wessex of Great Britain, or less, like how much the Infantas of Spain do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom