General News about Madeleine, Chris, and Leonore, Part 1: April 2014 - June 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how Chris is handling being away from NYC. :sad: It's a huge sea-change to suddenly be confined to Sweden. Not that Sweden isn't beautiful and charming, but NYC is a special place, and 'once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker.' IMO. Can't be easy for him would be my guess.

Idk how he's finding living in Stockholm, I suppose you'd have to ask him to know exactly....but he did say in an interview after the wedding that he thinks it's absurd how the media labels him as an American, he said although he spent 10 years in NY, he always identified himself as a European, more precisely as English.... I suppose that the biggest change in living in Stockholm is the huge interest although it seems to me that there were more parazzi photos taken of them in NY than in Stockholm

He is not really a New Yorker, is he? He was born in Londen, did spend his children years in the UK and his teenage years in Switzerland. He only came to New York when he started his studies at the Columbia Business School after his university.

Has already been any video of him speaking Swedish?

I remember in an interview to Hello magazine after their wedding Chris revealed it is quite difficult for him to learn Swedish. I thought differently, because he speaks German, but maybe it is not so easy for him to master a new language and he could be quite shy while speaking it.

:previous: I've also heard that about Chris and Swedish. In Aret Med Kungafamiljen, he was speaking to the press in English and Madeleine also spoke in English to him (but in Swedish to the press). When Leonore was born, he also spoke to the press in English and I think the vicar spoke to him in English at his and Madeleine's wedding, but spoke to Madeleine in Swedish.

It's nice that Madeleine and Chris are able to live normal lives in Sweden (well, as normal as possible for a royal). I can imagine that once the wedding is over and the hype in the country surrounding it will die down, Carl Philip and Sofia will also manage to live a relatively normal life in Sweden.

Idk how he's finding living in Stockholm, I suppose you'd have to ask him to know exactly....but he did say in an interview after the wedding that he thinks it's absurd how the media labels him as an American, he said although he spent 10 years in NY, he always identified himself as a European, more precisely as English.... I suppose that the biggest change in living in Stockholm is the huge interest although it seems to me that there were more parazzi photos taken of them in NY than in Stockholm

He is not really a New Yorker, is he? He was born in Londen, did spend his children years in the UK and his teenage years in Switzerland. He only came to New York when he started his studies at the Columbia Business School after his university.

Thank you both for all this. :flowers: Good to know. So he may be more fine with it all than I was thinking. I found myself being concerned for him. ;)

As for asking him about his feelings, Baron Brockdorf, I will do so the next time I bump into Chris and Madeleine at a cocktail party. Silly me. :p

I remember in an interview to Hello magazine after their wedding Chris revealed it is quite difficult for him to learn Swedish. I thought differently, because he speaks German, but maybe it is not so easy for him to master a new language and he could be quite shy while speaking it.

I remember reading an interview with them after they were first married. They said that in the privacy of their home they speak German to one another, which I thought was interesting. I wonder what Leonore's primary language will be....German, Swedish or English?

He has a lovely harmonious voice with an elegant British accent.

I remember reading an interview with them after they were first married. They said that in the privacy of their home they speak German to one another, which I thought was interesting. I wonder what Leonore's primary language will be....German, Swedish or English?

He has a lovely harmonious voice with an elegant British accent.

That's not what they said. They speak English together, but said in the interview that they sometimes speak German if they are in public places and do not want anyone to overhear.
Both their mothers are native German speakers, so I think both speak German from their mother tongue.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I wonder how Chris is handling being away from NYC. :sad: It's a huge sea-change to suddenly be confined to Sweden. Not that Sweden isn't beautiful and charming, but NYC is a special place, and 'once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker.' IMO. Can't be easy for him would be my guess.

Perhaps he has discovered there is, indeed, a life beyond NY!

That's not what they said. They speak English together, but said in the interview that they sometimes speak German if they are in public places and do not want anyone to overhear.
Both their mothers are native German speakers, so I think both speak German from their mother tongue.

Interesting, I know that Madeleine and her siblings should be able to speak german, but I've never heard any of them say a word in german in public. Perhaps someone have a video clip of that? Should be interesting!

(On a sidenote, I've heard Victoria speak some french - that's the only language beside english that I've heard from anyone in the royal family, besides the Queen).

Interesting, I know that Madeleine and her siblings should be able to speak german, but I've never heard any of them say a word in german in public. Perhaps someone have a video clip of that? Should be interesting!

According to the court's speech archive Victoria held a speech in german at hers and Daniel's trip to Germany in January 2014. But there isn't a video about that. There was a video of her another speech t that trip at ZDF mediathek, where she spoke partly german, but they have taken that video away.
Here is a part of that speech, starts at 1.37.
http://www.centertv.de/mediathek/kronprinzessin_victoria_in_duesseldorf/

Victoria with a few words in German at her birthday in Solliden in 2012.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5WDUCD84yc

Last edited:
Ive seen footage of Victoria speaking German and its not good, she definitely did not grow up with it as mother tongue. Its something that Silvia has admitted in interviews, that her children were not raised biligual in German. I don't think Madeleines german is any better, she might understand and speak it a bit but she won't be fluent.

Expressen writes that Madeleine and Chris are now doing everything to get their apartment in Manhattan rented and have taken a number of steps:
They have let the apartment decorated totally different, dumped rent, hired Silvia's friend (Lena Kaplan) as a realtor and on Sunday there is an open house for everyone interested to rent the apartment. The rent is now 6500 USD.
You have to registrate to see the whole article
Rena rama drömlyan _ Leva & bo _ Expressen

The new photos of the apartment, the interior decoration is totally different than before
132 East 65th Street - Upper East Side | Stribling & Associates

Photos at the previous rental adds of the apartment
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Last edited:
I already liked the apt before it was redecorated, maybe they just needed the furniture back in Sweden and had it redecorated for that purpose?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

I already liked the apt before it was redecorated, maybe they just needed the furniture back in Sweden and had it redecorated for that purpose?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Since they have never lived in this apartment, I doubt that. To me the apartment looks much better now without the peace mark cushions etc. Besides, it costs to bring furniture from USA to Sweden. Maybe they just felt that something had to be done because no one has wanted to rent the apartment during these four months.

Last edited:
Is it usual for that kind of appartments to come fully furnished in the US? One would think that people who rent for such a price would want to decorate it to their own taste.

Expressen tells, that Madeleine, Chris and Leonore have spent the last days in London. They have stayed at Eva O'Neill's apartment. Expressen met Chris, who told that everything is well with them. Madeleine has been shopping baby clothes, it is more her thing. They are happy when there is only some months to the birth.
Chris_ Shopping är mer Maddes grej _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

:previous: When were these photos taken? I wonder if Madeleine bought blue or pink clothes:whistling:

And if they announce baby's gender before birth.

Did they announce gender before Leonore's birth? I don't remember.

Did they announce gender before Leonore's birth? I don't remember.
The press found out Madeleine had registered to a baby site online and had written she was expecting a girl. Later on Madeleine confirmed it.

But this time she was careful not to let it slip or reveal the gender in any possible way:flowers:

The apartment is listed with one of the best real estate firms in NYC. It is in an extremely sought after location. What is wrong with it is that it is only on the second floor which is not desirable in NYC as it is so noisy. The agent surely knows what similar apartments rent for furnished or unfurnished in the building and the asking price is simply a formality. They will probably deduct about $1000 a month for un furnished

Will her second child be born in Sweden?

I've noticed that Madeleine and Chris have started bring Leonore on "official" trips, very similar to how Estelle often accompanies Victoria and Daniel. I wonder if this is just their similar parenting styles, or if it's the Swedish Court's wish for the next generation to be active members of the royal family from the start so that it won't seem as daunting when they get older.

I've noticed that Madeleine and Chris have started bring Leonore on "official" trips, very similar to how Estelle often accompanies Victoria and Daniel. I wonder if this is just their similar parenting styles, or if it's the Swedish Court's wish for the next generation to be active members of the royal family from the start so that it won't seem as daunting when they get older.

We don't know that. I think that Leonore was taken to meet the Pope because Chris is catholic. That was a special event. And of course Leonore attended a big family celebration, her grandfather's birthday.

Svensk Damtidning:
Princess Madeleine and her husband Chris have got problems. No one wants to rent their luxurious two-room apartment in New York.
Madeleine och Chris dumpar hyran – ingen vill bo i lägenheten _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Just wondering if the baby is due BEFORE or AFTER her brother's wedding?

Close call. The pregnancy was announced on the 19'th of december. I don't have kids myself, and I'm not good at pregnancy math, but if we assume that she was around 12 weeks at that time then the baby should perhaps be born late june?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom