The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I wonder how Chris is handling being away from NYC. It's a huge sea-change to suddenly be confined to Sweden. Not that Sweden isn't beautiful and charming, but NYC is a special place, and 'once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker.' IMO. Can't be easy for him would be my guess.
Idk how he's finding living in Stockholm, I suppose you'd have to ask him to know exactly....but he did say in an interview after the wedding that he thinks it's absurd how the media labels him as an American, he said although he spent 10 years in NY, he always identified himself as a European, more precisely as English.... I suppose that the biggest change in living in Stockholm is the huge interest although it seems to me that there were more parazzi photos taken of them in NY than in Stockholm

Old 04-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

He is not really a New Yorker, is he? He was born in Londen, did spend his children years in the UK and his teenage years in Switzerland. He only came to New York when he started his studies at the Columbia Business School after his university.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Has already been any video of him speaking Swedish?
Old 04-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I remember in an interview to Hello magazine after their wedding Chris revealed it is quite difficult for him to learn Swedish. I thought differently, because he speaks German, but maybe it is not so easy for him to master a new language and he could be quite shy while speaking it.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I've also heard that about Chris and Swedish. In Aret Med Kungafamiljen, he was speaking to the press in English and Madeleine also spoke in English to him (but in Swedish to the press). When Leonore was born, he also spoke to the press in English and I think the vicar spoke to him in English at his and Madeleine's wedding, but spoke to Madeleine in Swedish.

It's nice that Madeleine and Chris are able to live normal lives in Sweden (well, as normal as possible for a royal). I can imagine that once the wedding is over and the hype in the country surrounding it will die down, Carl Philip and Sofia will also manage to live a relatively normal life in Sweden.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
Idk how he's finding living in Stockholm, I suppose you'd have to ask him to know exactly....but he did say in an interview after the wedding that he thinks it's absurd how the media labels him as an American, he said although he spent 10 years in NY, he always identified himself as a European, more precisely as English.... I suppose that the biggest change in living in Stockholm is the huge interest although it seems to me that there were more parazzi photos taken of them in NY than in Stockholm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
He is not really a New Yorker, is he? He was born in Londen, did spend his children years in the UK and his teenage years in Switzerland. He only came to New York when he started his studies at the Columbia Business School after his university.
Thank you both for all this. Good to know. So he may be more fine with it all than I was thinking. I found myself being concerned for him.

As for asking him about his feelings, Baron Brockdorf, I will do so the next time I bump into Chris and Madeleine at a cocktail party. Silly me.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I remember in an interview to Hello magazine after their wedding Chris revealed it is quite difficult for him to learn Swedish. I thought differently, because he speaks German, but maybe it is not so easy for him to master a new language and he could be quite shy while speaking it.

I remember reading an interview with them after they were first married. They said that in the privacy of their home they speak German to one another, which I thought was interesting. I wonder what Leonore's primary language will be....German, Swedish or English?

He has a lovely harmonious voice with an elegant British accent.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I remember reading an interview with them after they were first married. They said that in the privacy of their home they speak German to one another, which I thought was interesting. I wonder what Leonore's primary language will be....German, Swedish or English?

He has a lovely harmonious voice with an elegant British accent.

That's not what they said. They speak English together, but said in the interview that they sometimes speak German if they are in public places and do not want anyone to overhear.
Both their mothers are native German speakers, so I think both speak German from their mother tongue.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-13-2015, 04:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I wonder how Chris is handling being away from NYC. It's a huge sea-change to suddenly be confined to Sweden. Not that Sweden isn't beautiful and charming, but NYC is a special place, and 'once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker.' IMO. Can't be easy for him would be my guess.
Perhaps he has discovered there is, indeed, a life beyond NY!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissRoyal View Post
That's not what they said. They speak English together, but said in the interview that they sometimes speak German if they are in public places and do not want anyone to overhear.
Both their mothers are native German speakers, so I think both speak German from their mother tongue.
Interesting, I know that Madeleine and her siblings should be able to speak german, but I've never heard any of them say a word in german in public. Perhaps someone have a video clip of that? Should be interesting!

(On a sidenote, I've heard Victoria speak some french - that's the only language beside english that I've heard from anyone in the royal family, besides the Queen).
Old 04-13-2015, 06:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Interesting, I know that Madeleine and her siblings should be able to speak german, but I've never heard any of them say a word in german in public. Perhaps someone have a video clip of that? Should be interesting!
According to the court's speech archive Victoria held a speech in german at hers and Daniel's trip to Germany in January 2014. But there isn't a video about that. There was a video of her another speech t that trip at ZDF mediathek, where she spoke partly german, but they have taken that video away.
Here is a part of that speech, starts at 1.37.
http://www.centertv.de/mediathek/kro...n_duesseldorf/

Victoria with a few words in German at her birthday in Solliden in 2012.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:02 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Ive seen footage of Victoria speaking German and its not good, she definitely did not grow up with it as mother tongue. Its something that Silvia has admitted in interviews, that her children were not raised biligual in German. I don't think Madeleines german is any better, she might understand and speak it a bit but she won't be fluent.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen writes that Madeleine and Chris are now doing everything to get their apartment in Manhattan rented and have taken a number of steps:
They have let the apartment decorated totally different, dumped rent, hired Silvia's friend (Lena Kaplan) as a realtor and on Sunday there is an open house for everyone interested to rent the apartment. The rent is now 6500 USD.
You have to registrate to see the whole article
Rena rama drömlyan _ Leva & bo _ Expressen

The new photos of the apartment, the interior decoration is totally different than before
132 East 65th Street - Upper East Side | Stribling & Associates

Photos at the previous rental adds of the apartment
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Old 04-19-2015, 07:30 AM
Aristocracy

I already liked the apt before it was redecorated, maybe they just needed the furniture back in Sweden and had it redecorated for that purpose?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 04-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissRoyal View Post
I already liked the apt before it was redecorated, maybe they just needed the furniture back in Sweden and had it redecorated for that purpose?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Since they have never lived in this apartment, I doubt that. To me the apartment looks much better now without the peace mark cushions etc. Besides, it costs to bring furniture from USA to Sweden. Maybe they just felt that something had to be done because no one has wanted to rent the apartment during these four months.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Is it usual for that kind of appartments to come fully furnished in the US? One would think that people who rent for such a price would want to decorate it to their own taste.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen tells, that Madeleine, Chris and Leonore have spent the last days in London. They have stayed at Eva O'Neill's apartment. Expressen met Chris, who told that everything is well with them. Madeleine has been shopping baby clothes, it is more her thing. They are happy when there is only some months to the birth.
Chris_ Shopping är mer Maddes grej _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation
Old 04-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

When were these photos taken? I wonder if Madeleine bought blue or pink clothes
Old 04-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

And if they announce baby's gender before birth.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Did they announce gender before Leonore's birth? I don't remember.

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess leonore, princess madeleine