The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Courtier

Statement from the Royal Court:
'Princess Madeleine registers as a Swedish resident
Princess Madeleine and Princess Leonore register as Swedish residents.
As previously announced, the family has now left New York and are living in Stockholm.

This also means that the birth of Princess Madeleine's second child, which is due this summer, is expected to take place in Sweden.'
http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/...758cf40b7.html
So I guess this means theyll be moving permanently to Sweden, and I suppose to Stockholm
Article from expressen
https://translate.googleusercontent....gakHelN1mOUTdg

'It was in March 2012 as Princess Madeleine chose to do the unexpected decision to print from Sweden - emigrate and settle in the United States. It is almost three years ago and Expressen can now reveal documents showing that the princess since 3 February, last Tuesday, was written back in Sweden.
- Madeleine personally visited the Swedish Tax Agency and met with a caseworker. When you want to enroll again in Sweden requires that you personally arrive at the Tax Office, says Tobias Wijk, business developer at registration at the Tax Agency.
On application to the Swedish Tax Agency also shows that even her husband Chris O'Neill, or Christopher Paul O'Neill that Madeleine has written on the document, also want to immigrate to Sweden. Even her daughter Princess Leonore is also included in the application and the question "what is your intention to stay in Sweden?" responds Madeleine: "Settlements".
- When this kind of application it says in the Population Registration Act to the length of stay in Sweden must be at least one year. In all cases the intention explains Tobias Wijk Swedish Tax Agency.
"Couple's intention"
Princess Madeleine seems to have the ambition to now stay in Sweden for more than a year under the title "My stay in Sweden", Princess ticked the option "I'll stay in Sweden" and written "permanent". She could also have chosen to time specify their stay, but choose right "permanent".
- Yes, it seems to be the couple's intention, in that they have chosen that option in its application, says Tobias Wijk.
- This is a fairly simple process. Nothing complicated, explains Tobias Wijk.
Royal Court CIO Margaret Thorgren:
- It is true that Princess Madeleine is registered in Sweden since 3 February.
Why?
- Because you must be registered where they live.
How long she stays in Sweden?
- Now and in the future, Stockholm is the base for the family.
Will she give birth in Stockholm?
- Princess planning to give birth to her second child in Sweden, confirms Margaret Thorgren.
Which hospital?
- It is not yet decided.'

Well at least the media can't say that they felt pressure to move Stockholm due to the recent criticism (re interviews) since she went to the tax authorities on the 3rd, the day after the visit to Gavle and a day before the person from the radio station spoke about his disappointment at the lack of interviews

Old 02-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Right. I expect more criticism then? Madeleine and Chris can't never win in the media's book. IMO that' a right choice, at least at the moment

Old 02-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Margareta Thorgren to Aftonbladet
- The family has moved from the United States and the home base is now Stockholm. Therefore, the princess registered in Sweden. You must be registered where you have your principal residence.
Will Chris O'Neill registrate of residence in Sweden?
- The whole family lives in Stockholm and right now it's Princess Madeleine and Princess Leonore written here.
Does Chris O'Neill plan to register here later?
- We must see to the future.
Prinsessan Madeleine flyttar till Sverige Nyheter Aftonbladet
Old 02-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting. Does this have something to do with taxes? I know nothing of how Sweden works.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Interesting. Does this have something to do with taxes? I know nothing of how Sweden works.
I dont think. Some time ago the Princess said that she would move back to Sweden in the near future.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Haha, if they want lower taxes you DON'T write yourself in Sweden. :P
Old 02-06-2015, 01:57 AM
Royal Highness

I'm not really understanding this
She left Sweden and no one was happy about that but now she's back and it seems no one is happy about that either
What am I not understanding ??
Not being rude just really not following

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-06-2015, 02:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I'm not really understanding this
She left Sweden and no one was happy about that but now she's back and it seems no one is happy about that either
What am I not understanding ??
Not being rude just really not following

From the posted articles i don't get that "no-one is happy they move to Sweden"?
Imo it could be a sign that P.Madeleine will take on a few more royal obligations in the future to support her father and sister, and the children will be in the line of succession and that's not bad either.
What the media could jump on is why Chris "will settle later" and i'm sure they can come up with some interesting money/tax related stories around this, but otherwise they'd have nothing to write about
Old 02-06-2015, 02:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
From the posted articles i don't get that "no-one is happy they move to Sweden"?
Imo it could be a sign that P.Madeleine will take on a few more royal obligations in the future to support her father and sister, and the children will be in the line of succession and that's not bad either.
What the media could jump on is why Chris "will settle later" and i'm sure they can come up with some interesting money/tax related stories around this, but otherwise they'd have nothing to write about
I agree. They had already said she will do more engagements. This just cements that. And there is a very, very simple reason why Chris isn't written there yet. Leonore and Madeleine already are Swedish citizens and Chris isn't. Ofc his will take more time because he will have to get a visa.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:56 AM
Royal Highness

Well I hope it isn't for tax reasons and Chris gives them any reason to question it It's a good time to come home with another baby on the way

Old 02-06-2015, 02:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Well I hope it isn't for tax reasons and Chris gives them any reason to question it It's a good time to come home with another baby on the way

My guess is that his process of getting written there is already on the way but that, as I said, he isn't a Swedish citizen and it ofc will take a longer time for him...
Old 02-06-2015, 03:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think its a tricky issue. If Chris registeres, certain people will be on Chris watch to see if Sweden is really his principal residence and not another country. He will have to spend a certain amount of time in Sweden and pay taxes. If he doesnt register, well, he is not fully committed to his family etc.
This whole model of living that they have chosen for themselves is actually inviting critics or people digging. I think Madeleine underestimated what it meant to live away from her family with a small child, everyday life getting either tough or boring, so now she wants back. Chris underestimated the power of media and what it really means to be married to a princess. There is no middle way between full time royal or giving up royal perks without attracting critizism of all kinds or media scrutiny.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Aftonbladet's research:
Princess Madeleine has answered to seven questions from journalists over the past year in connection with official activities.
Here are all the answers Princess Madeleine has given to journalists' questions during the past year in connection with public activities:
The visit in Gävle 2015-02-02:
- Thank you, it feels crazy! (Of pregnant belly)
- It feels great, of course. (Of pregnant belly)
- It is the first of all so fun to be back here in Gästrikland. It has been a fantastic day with many impressions. Many interesting meetings.
- No problem, but can't we take one big picture? It will be easier so. (For the photographers.)
- We'll meet again. (To the press call-up)
- Yes, yes. (When asked if she plans to continue working with Childhood Foundation)
Preference for the organization My Big Day 2015-01-20:
- It was rewarding and interesting to meet Hélène Benno today and get an update on My Big Day and the important work they do to delight seriously ill children.
Princess Madeleine's other statements in connection with the last year's public activities, which have been quoted in the media:
The visit in Gävle 2015-02-02:
- You will be the stars everyone. (For singers in Helges Allstars)
Swedish Academy's official ceremonial meeting 2014-12-20:
- Merry Christmas! (To the spectators at the Stock Exchange)
Global Citizens concert in Central Park, New York 2014-09-27:
- How wonderful to be here with all of you. We in Childhood Foundation believe that every child deserves the right to have a childhood free from sexual abuse and exploitation. I want to introduce you to someone who listens to these children and give them a voice. Welcome my mother Queen Silvia! (To the audience)
Princess Leonore's baptism 2014-06-08:
- I want to thank all who come here to celebrate today. (To the audience after baptism)
- No, my God! (When Princess Leonore got a foal from Gotland inhabitants)
Period of Study 2014-02-05 to 2015-02-05.

Aftonbladet reviewed Madeleine's public appearances in the past year in the media archive Retriever. It turns out that she hasn't given a single interview in connection with these performances.
We also examined how often the three royal children have conducted official activities in the past year, according to the royal calendar. Crown Princess Victoria had eight times the number of program items and Prince Carl Philip four times more activities than Princess Madeleine, who participated in a total of 21 activities.
Even when it comes to activities on American soil Princess Madeleine is not first. Crown Princess Victoria completed three program activities in the United States, Princess Madeleine two.
Prinsessans årsfacit sju svar till reportrar Nyheter Aftonbladet

Margareta Thorgren says that Madeleine has been on a maternity leave and that's why she has so few work events. She has lived in the US, it is obviously harder to make official missions in Sweden. Now the princess is pregnant with her second child, which means that she will naturally have fewer official missions this year. Because she lived in USA, it is hard to give interviews but she gave an interview to "The Year with the Royal Family" and has given an interview about Childhood. About that royal expert Sten Hedman said that Madeleine is shy, Thorgren said that most people can not put themselves in the massive coverage that is around the royal family around the clock. The media image around the princess has had a negative impact. That is why it is so important in Thorgren's role to establish good relations with the media. Thorgren said that if the media and P4 Gävleborg had asked for an interview before Madeleine went to Gävle, maybe it could have been arranged.
Aftonbladet asks; On June 10, 2014 - almost 8 months ago - Aftonbladet reporter Kerstin Weigl made a serious request to get an interview with Princess Madeleine. We have repeatedly encountered and not yet received a response to the inquiry - why not?
- We get incredible number of requests. We answer queries and take them continuously. This inquiry from Aftonbladet, we see as at the stock, which means that we know that Aftonbladet and many more are interested in interviewing Princess Madeleine. But once again the princess was on maternity leave and lived abroad with the time zone difference. That is one reason that there has not been some interviews.
We would like to ask some questions to Princess Madeleine today. Is there any possibility to it?
- Today has been a great deal of work for the information department to handle. I will handle your inquiry when I have dealt with today's media affairs. Many of your colleagues have done interview requests.
Hovet Hon har varit mammaledig Nyheter Aftonbladet

Thorgren must have quite a headache, maybe she realises only now that they are doing a lousy work at the court. They should themselves have reserved time to Madeleine's trip to Gävle and offer time for the reporters to interview Madeleine. And the answer to Aftonbladet's request for an interview is very bad. They have had 8 months to answer to it. Aftonbladet's reporter had surely gone to USA to interview Madeleine.
The press in Sweden got used to that Victoria worked after Estelle's birth although she was on a maternity leave in about 60 events until February 2013, maybe they thought that Madeleine would work more, but she has done only 21. Charlotte Brandin from Childhood said to Svensk Damtidning in November that Madeleine hasn't worked much for Childhood after Leonore's birth, since "one has to have time to be a mother".
It is also interesting that Aftonbladet has done this article, they write quite little about the royal family nowadays, unlike Expressen.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think its a tricky issue. If Chris registeres, certain people will be on Chris watch to see if Sweden is really his principal residence and not another country. He will have to spend a certain amount of time in Sweden and pay taxes. If he doesnt register, well, he is not fully committed to his family etc.
This whole model of living that they have chosen for themselves is actually inviting critics or people digging. I think Madeleine underestimated what it meant to live away from her family with a small child, everyday life getting either tough or boring, so now she wants back. Chris underestimated the power of media and what it really means to be married to a princess. There is no middle way between full time royal or giving up royal perks without attracting critizism of all kinds or media scrutiny.

I understand it more now what you say makes sense to me I do hope it works out well for them.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
And there is a very, very simple reason why Chris isn't written there yet. Leonore and Madeleine already are Swedish citizens and Chris isn't. Ofc his will take more time because he will have to get a visa.
EU citizens (Chris O'Neill is a British citizen) can move to Sweden without a visa or residence permit.
EU citizens and long-term residents - Swedish Migration Board [NS4 version]
Old 02-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Courtier

According to aftonbladet Chris is also registered
'Chris O'Neill written in Sweden
"Shall settle here permanently"
In yesterday announced the court that Princess Madeleine and her daughter Leonore is now registered in Sweden.
Now confirms Tax Board that although Madeleine's husband Chris O'Neill is written in the country since last Tuesday.
- They have indicated that they will settle here permanently, says Tobias Wijk Swedish Tax Agency.
Royal Court CIO Margaret Thorgren announced yesterday that the Princesses Madeleine and Leonore are now registered in Sweden.
- The whole family lives in Stockholm and right now it's Princess Madeleine and Princess Leonore written here, 'said Margaret Thorgren to Aftonbladet on Thursday.
Notification of move
Now you can Aftonbladet tell you that even Madeleine's husband Chris O'Neill is written in Sweden.
- We got a complaint about moving to Sweden on all three as at 3 February. I can confirm that Chris is also registered since 3 February. They have indicated that they will settle here permanently, says Tobias Wijk, business developer in the Tax population.
Madden met with administrators
He says that at least Princess Madeleine personally met an administrator at the Swedish Tax Agency.
- It's personal appearance that apply in these cases, says Tobias Wijk.'
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article20277703.ab
Old 02-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
EU citizens (Chris O'Neill is a British citizen) can move to Sweden without a visa or residence permit.

Well that just knocks all the other theory's out the door

Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It is correct that with a british passport you can live without visa etc within EU. Its a different matter with taxes, I believe Chris has dual citizenship so he will have to pay taxes in America and now in Sweden.
I think Madeleine's family will be under scrutiny now, where is Chris, what does he do, if he is there people will ask what does he do, if not, the marriage is bad etc etc.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Really, even living there permanently? (I know nothing about this...) And any ways I think he will get a swedish citizenship.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Really, even living there permanently? (I know nothing about this...) And any ways I think he will get a swedish citizenship.
i don't think so. he declined a title, and for a title he would have needed the swedish citizenship. if he now becomes a swede, people will ask why he didnt accept the citizenship in the first place. and why he still does not want a title despite becoming a swede now.
i don't think he will change his citizenship. he can live in sweden forever with a european passport.

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess leonore, princess madeleine