The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:07 AM
Nobility

It is interesting that Bunte, a foreign publication, broke this story. Did the Swedish media perhaps withhold it in deference to the royal family?

As regards media reporting of royals' financial affairs, which was discussed recently, I think this demonstrates that it is not a thing of the past.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Maybe Chris isn't as rich as people think. He quit his job and maybe his family doesnt pay everything for him. Madde is high maintenance. Chris is a private person, still, if he doesnt look after his stuff, he can expect to read about it in the papers.

What I don't understand is that the court comments on his matters, at all.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Maybe Chris isn't as rich as people think. He quit his job and maybe his family doesnt pay everything for him. Madde is high maintenance. Chris is a private person, still, if he doesnt look after his stuff, he can expect to read about it in the papers.

What I don't understand is that the court comments on his matters, at all.
The swedish media and royal experts have all today highlighted that Chris is a very wealthy man who has made a lot of money with his businesses. So in Sweden it is generally thought that he has a lot of money. The court commented the tax-case with a no-comment because they have earlier told that Madeleine is a co-owner of the apartment, which taxes haven't been paid.
Maybe Chris isn't that rich which is thought in Sweden. At least he has a lot of very rich friends/business associates who were invited to the wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It is interesting that Bunte, a foreign publication, broke this story. Did the Swedish media perhaps withhold it in deference to the royal family?
Like I said today, Bunte investigates Chris because they are angry that Chris made a case of them publishing the honeymoon photos. They have written negative articles of him before. It is interesting to see if there will be more things to come out about Chris and his businessess, by Bunte or the swedish press.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe there's a reason why Chris and Madde have suddenly moved to Sweden?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

exactly, don't assume that he is rich. He may have rich friends, mother and wife and is trying to keep up and is in over his head. Are we sure of this info, are tax liens public info?
I truly doubt he just didn't think he just didn't want to pay, more like buying time.
Agree what was stupid was thinking he could sue bunte and not get burned later. They have to admit they need help, he is out of his league.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Courtier

Ok so it seems like the reports aren't entirely true, Chirs has made statement via the Royal Court
Kommentar från Christopher O’Neill - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

“I strictly observe all tax obligations. All property taxes owed by entities related to me are in the process of being settled. On 14th January 2015, the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance agreed to cancel a tax warrant, after accepting that an error had been made. The information quoted in the newspapers today regarding this matter is therefore no longer valid.”
Old 01-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

And why does Chris so often gets to these messes?
He put Madeleine to his companies, even though it is not right with the court policy. He corrected it after he was caught.
And now this mess. So he is obviously now paying the taxes he hasn't done before.
How he can be a succesfull businessman if he always gets to trouble?
What next?

Malin Roos at her chronicle in Expressen
As if we did not have a bad idea about Princess Madeleine's husband before.
Why did Chris O'Neill pulled on repeated tax liabilities?
Two years ago, wrote newspaper Aftonbladet that the princess husband's companies based in tax havens in the Caribbean and North American Delaware, making the transparency of his private purse minimal.
Expressen said Jan. 2 that Princess Madeleine and Chris actually had two luxury apartments in the same building in New York, according to documents Expressen taken note of. A larger home they rented - and a smaller, private apartment valued at around 16 million.
How is Chris O'Neill's economic situation? Why he doesn't pay his debts?
I mean, you go and marry a Swedish princess, who also throughout her foreign sojourn (whole life by the way) have had to live with and defend the questions and criticism about money, luxury living in opulence and an apanage who pays the piper, so it seems naive to believe that:
A: These documents would not arrive.
B: That it would not mean a precarious potatoes for Madeleine and the royal family.
Now if Chris O'Neill and Princess Madeleine have left Manhattan to be complacent in Stockholm, Sweden with the hope to be able to live as anonymous and inconspicuous family life as it ever goes as royalty, so of course a good start, would be to pay their bills.
Det hela kan tolkas världsfrånvänt Malin Roos Expressen
Translation
Old 01-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Administrator

I am sorry but this story [if one would like to call it] makes no sense whatsoever.

First of all, I am not sure how it works in the rest of the world but in the US, any person or business can get someone to prepare and file their taxes. If Chris is as wealthy as one assumes, I can assure you he is not doing either his personal or business taxes. That being said, both parties [the preparer and the individual] need to sign the taxes, and if someone else is preparing on your behalf you understand that you acknowledge that you are responsible for whatever is in the document.

Secondly, anyone who has filed their taxes knows that the regulations and regulations as well as the forms are not that easy to understand. For example, try filing a 1040 or 1040A with all the appropriate schedules. I have filed as an outside sales representative, a real estate agent and the owner as a small business. They are a nightmare. I had to pay someone to assist me with my taxes.

Thirdly, there have been MANY cases where famous and not so famous individuals have used deductions or tax shelters that they thought were perfectly legal when they filed only to get notification years later that these deductions/tax shelters were not legal. Thus one can find themselves owing money as well as penalties for taxes that you thought were acceptable. In addition, in Chris world, one would also assume that he would have a business manager who is personally paying his bills. I don't think Chris sits down every other pay week to budget his checkbook.

Fourth, the year makes no sense. The couple was married in 2013, so legitimately he could have added her to the company and they could have filed jointly as a married couple. but based on what Cristina of Spain is going thru you would think the couple would decided to keep her distanced from his business but whatever. That being said, any 2013 income and business would have been filed by the 2014 deadline in March. He could have legitimately asked for an extension that would have taken him to August 2014. Here it is January 2015, and the government [or the press] is branding him as a tax cheat Sorry, that makes no sense. The government would have sent him letters for at least six months or a year [if not longer] asking him to pay up before he is listed on the site as a tax delinquent. And seizing funds/assets is something that would be applicable to all citizens and not just Chris.

I am glad Chris has addressed and resolved this issue but to me, this was a mountain made out of a moehill. Simply put, those who don't care for Madeline and by extension her husband, are getting a couple of facts together and instead of doing some investigating, are just publishing tabloid like headlines.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I am sorry but this story [if one would like to call it] makes no sense whatsoever.

First of all, I am not sure how it works in the rest of the world but in the US, any person or business can get someone to prepare and file their taxes. If Chris is as wealthy as one assumes, I can assure you he is not doing either his personal or business taxes. That being said, both parties [the preparer and the individual] need to sign the taxes, and if someone else is preparing on your behalf you understand that you acknowledge that you are responsible for whatever is in the document.

Secondly, anyone who has filed their taxes knows that the regulations and regulations as well as the forms are not that easy to understand. For example, try filing a 1040 or 1040A with all the appropriate schedules. I have filed as an outside sales representative, a real estate agent and the owner as a small business. They are a nightmare. I had to pay someone to assist me with my taxes.

Thirdly, there have been MANY cases where famous and not so famous individuals have used deductions or tax shelters that they thought were perfectly legal when they filed only to get notification years later that these deductions/tax shelters were not legal. Thus one can find themselves owing money as well as penalties for taxes that you thought were acceptable. In addition, in Chris world, one would also assume that he would have a business manager who is personally paying his bills. I don't think Chris sits down every other pay week to budget his checkbook.

Fourth, the year makes no sense. The couple was married in 2013, so legitimately he could have added her to the company and they could have filed jointly as a married couple. but based on what Cristina of Spain is going thru you would think the couple would decided to keep her distanced from his business but whatever. That being said, any 2013 income and business would have been filed by the 2014 deadline in March. He could have legitimately asked for an extension that would have taken him to August 2014. Here it is January 2015, and the government [or the press] is branding him as a tax cheat Sorry, that makes no sense. The government would have sent him letters for at least six months or a year [if not longer] asking him to pay up before he is listed on the site as a tax delinquent. And seizing funds/assets is something that would be applicable to all citizens and not just Chris.

I am glad Chris has addressed and resolved this issue but to me, this was a mountain made out of a moehill. Simply put, those who don't care for Madeline and by extension her husband, are getting a couple of facts together and instead of doing some investigating, are just publishing tabloid like headlines.
I did not read your whole post, Zonk (a little late for me) - but I think you are thinking about income taxes. Chris (and his shell LLC's) owe property taxes.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 PM
Majesty

Wouldn't that be "Chris (and his shell LLC's) owe property taxes".

For the not so financially inclined, could you elucidate on what consititutes Chris's "Shell LLC's"?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I did not read your whole post, Zonk (a little late for me) - but I think you are thinking about income taxes. Chris (and his shell LLC's) owe property taxes.
OKay....if property taxes for an LLC are like property taxes for a homeowner, than they would be paid out of your escrow account via your mortgage. Most banks that hold a lien against the property would require you to have such an escrow.

Now it could be possible that the escrow account was short, and Chris owed the money because not enough funds were set aside during the year to pay the taxes. But that doesn't diminish the time frame, the state of New York would not be harassing him for 2013 taxes, that would have been filed in 2014, the first month of January of 2015. Maybe these are taxes from 2012, which would have been filed in 2013 and that's why this is coming out.

If Chris didn't have a lien that would be another story. When I had an LLC, it was just another form for my 1040 when I filed taxes.

ETA; is anyone familiar with New York, property taxes and/or commercial property? In MD, you receive a bill or a statement for your personal property taxes twice a year. This statement is also sent to your mortgage company if the account is set up for the bank to pay the bill. If Chris has a business manager, who might have other clients, I can easily see how this was missed.

Either way, its good that he has cleared the matter.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Wouldn't that be "Chris (and his shell LLC's) owe property taxes".

For the not so financially inclined, could you elucidate on what consititutes Chris's "Shell LLC's"?
I am not suggesting they are not valid LLC's (corporations), I just think he, like most, created them for financial advantages, hence the term "shell."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
OKay....if property taxes for an LLC are like property taxes for a homeowner, than they would be paid out of your escrow account via your mortgage. Most banks that hold a lien against the property would require you to have such an escrow.

Now it could be possible that the escrow account was short, and Chris owed the money because not enough funds were set aside during the year to pay the taxes. But that doesn't diminish the time frame, the state of New York would not be harassing him for 2013 taxes, that would have been filed in 2014, the first month of January of 2015. Maybe these are taxes from 2012, which would have been filed in 2013 and that's why this is coming out.

If Chris didn't have a lien that would be another story. When I had an LLC, it was just another form for my 1040 when I filed taxes.
I read all this quickly about Chris, I don't think he has any mortgages on the properties, at least not the NY ones.

I just find the timing funny of the tax warrant and now the move to Sweden.

I don't think he's purposely evading taxes, BTW. Either he is not that wealthy, as has been suggested, or someone screwed up. I'm wondering if it is not the former.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:40 AM
Aristocracy

My opinion on this mess:

Chris is not a royal, does not want to be one but is for sure acting like one by not being careful with paying his tax liabilities.

I do not think he is poor or does not have the money, I rather think he is careless and did not pay attention (or does not have a punctual bookkeeper).

It is just not very good behavior of any citizen (nor for a public figure, like Chris, married to a royal) to not pay taxes. He must have gotten several reminders already. His answer that he is 'in the process of settling' is not good enough for me, he should just take care of his taxes.

That being said, is this a reason to bash Chris in the media? Not to me, although of course the Swedes love this kind of news items.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-23-2015, 04:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think the swedish media continues to bash Chris because he is no fairytail prince, keeps a distance, he doesnt court/suck up to the press unlike other members of the SRF (I am not naming names not to derail this thread), he often looks scruffy/grumpy and has a hard time to remain calm/has a temper so people wouldn't put other issues eg like this tax evasion issue past him. Because as media you always need somebody to bash because boredom doesnt sell magazines. Media usually doesnt touch the born royals, Daniel is the CP consort and a smoothie, there is only Chris left who fits the job description for the guy to bash very well.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:43 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Although the amount is substantial enough for most, I am sure it is peanuts to most investment bankers. I think they mainly bash him because he is a foreigner, and because Madeleine has been living in NYC and not in Stockholm. Before the marriage the lala-land writers of these gossip rags were somewhat xenophobic, always emphasizing how Madeleine was living the high life in NYC - a rather aspirational place-to-be for many. Also he doesn't play their tune, he doesn't talk to the press etc., unlike others.

Since these Swedish gossip rags usually make up most what they write to suit their agenda, I do not put much trust in this story. And indeed, their agenda has been one of negativity towards this couple as this couple does not seem to be too cooperative towards the gossip magazines. Neither does it fit the cinderella/pretty woman-fairytale that sells magazines.

They should be happy that he has his own life, makes his own money and has been very succesful in doing so & has not been freeloading on his wife. I hope that his lawyers are looking into the possibility of putting these rags and their cinderella-writers up for a lawsuit as such stories can harm his business.

Funny that the press calls it a 'scandal' while the amount disputed is 43000 dollars. You would think from the headline that she embazzled several million:
http://www.thelocal.se/20150122/prin...sa-tax-scandal

Chris issued the following statement:
Quote:
I strictly observe all tax obligations. All property taxes owed by entities related to me are in the process of being settled. On 14th January 2015, the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance agreed to cancel a tax warrant, after accepting that an error had been made. The information quoted in the newspapers today regarding this matter is therefore no longer valid.
An error by the tax department and no scandal at all. Now, let's see how the Swedish press will spin it...
Old 01-23-2015, 06:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Although the amount is substantial enough for most, I am sure it is peanuts to most investment bankers. I think they mainly bash him because he is a foreigner, and because Madeleine has been living in NYC and not in Stockholm. Before the marriage the lala-land writers of these gossip rags were somewhat xenophobic, always emphasizing how Madeleine was living the high life in NYC - a rather aspirational place-to-be for many. Also he doesn't play their tune, he doesn't talk to the press etc., unlike others.

Since these Swedish gossip rags usually make up most what they write to suit their agenda, I do not put much trust in this story. And indeed, their agenda has been one of negativity towards this couple as this couple does not seem to be too cooperative towards the gossip magazines. Neither does it fit the cinderella/pretty woman-fairytale that sells magazines.

They should be happy that he has his own life, makes his own money and has been very succesful in doing so & has not been freeloading on his wife. I hope that his lawyers are looking into the possibility of putting these rags and their cinderella-writers up for a lawsuit as such stories can harm his business.

Funny that the press calls it a 'scandal' while the amount disputed is 43000 dollars. You would think from the headline that she embazzled several million:
Princess Madeleine linked to US tax scandal - The Local

Chris issued the following statement:

An error by the tax department and no scandal at all. Now, let's see how the Swedish press will spin it...
I don't know what "error" the NY tax department made, but, if the taxes are "in the process of being settled", it is clear that they haven't been paid yet and, therefore, are overdue. Maybe Chris was (legally) trying to evade taxation and the tax department had a different interpretation on the tax exemptions he believed he was entitled to.

It may not be a "scandal", but, in any case, it doesn't look good for Chris.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

It is good that he is paying his taxes. I just hope that the king demanded from Chris that from now on everything in his businesses etc. must be in perfect order. The royal family doesn't need news like this anymore.

Chris O'Neill Jetzt spricht er über den Steuer-Skandal! BUNTE.de
Old 01-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Aristocracy

I do not think it is likely he is broke. He is too smart for that, and does not seem a very big spender (besides the watches and probably having an expensive wife).

If there were a situation where he just could not pay his taxes, I am sure the SRF would cover to at least avoid the scandal. I think this is just a case of pure ignorance.

The liability on the house is still open: New York State Department of State. If I were Expressen I would check from time to time if it has been settled. If so, this website will be updates by the NY state tax dept.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Royal Highness

Hope this was just a slip up
I wish for them to be a happy loving family without scandals

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-23-2015, 08:31 AM
Nobility

To my understanding, Mr. O'Neill's phrase "error had been made" implies an error made by himself or his accountant.

Concerning the timeline: Bunte reports three different tax liabilities; the warrant from New York State only concerns unpaid income tax from 2010.

Quote:
It makes the other hand, the third tax liability against Chris O'Neill is directed at him personally. It is a private tax debt that has made New York State - authority responsible for local income tax - proceeded legally against the princess' husband.

According to documents Bunte taken note of, which is also confirmed by Expressen, Chris O'Neill, an unpaid taxes from 2010, which remained for over four years.

These are equivalent to over 65 000 SEK.

New York State has, therefore, December 8, 2014, issued a "warrant".

"A warrant is a judgment that makes an individual's financial assets to a lien. It allows us to seize assets and appropriating income ", informs the tax authority spokesman Geoffrey Gloak in an email to Expressen.

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess leonore, princess madeleine