General News about Madeleine, Chris, and Leonore, Part 1: April 2014 - June 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the swedish media continues to bash Chris because he is no fairytail prince, keeps a distance, he doesnt court/suck up to the press unlike other members of the SRF (I am not naming names not to derail this thread), he often looks scruffy/grumpy and has a hard time to remain calm/has a temper so people wouldn't put other issues eg like this tax evasion issue past him. Because as media you always need somebody to bash because boredom doesnt sell magazines. Media usually doesnt touch the born royals, Daniel is the CP consort and a smoothie, there is only Chris left who fits the job description for the guy to bash very well.

Fully agree. I just hope that if this continues, it wouid not put damaging pressure on the couple.
In fact in my opinion Chris remains so far mysterious, and he tries to maintain that...yes the guy to bash on.
Next round probably when he new/future career is revealed, so far quite mysterious no? I cannot imagine his future path is simply to be the husband of the princess.

I think the swedish media continues to bash Chris because he is no fairytail prince, keeps a distance, he doesnt court/suck up to the press unlike other members of the SRF (I am not naming names not to derail this thread), he often looks scruffy/grumpy and has a hard time to remain calm/has a temper so people wouldn't put other issues eg like this tax evasion issue past him. Because as media you always need somebody to bash because boredom doesnt sell magazines. Media usually doesnt touch the born royals, Daniel is the CP consort and a smoothie, there is only Chris left who fits the job description for the guy to bash very well.

I agree that they bash Chris, he's an easy target for a variety of reasons. In this case, however, I don't fault them for reporting on the fact there was a tax case against him - although as I've said, this does not make him a demon.

So the tax year was 2010...I knew the year didn't make sense. still not that bad IMO. Yes it should have been paid but it could be a variety of different reasons why it wasn't paid [disputing the tax for example].

Chris should take this as another lesson learned. The tabloids will make something out of nothing, the truth means nothing to them, and people who dont know him but don't like him or his wife, will believe anything without even knowing the facts...just because its been reported as the truth.

:previous: I'm sure a man in his position has an accountant take care of the "details" tax bills, etc. and, to be honest, this is not a big deal or it wouldn't have been if he hadn't married Princess Madeleine.

He is also an easy mark because he is easily stirred to "righteous anger" by the media, but Royalty usually works, for good or ill, on the old "never complain, never explain". Poor Chris wants to 'set things right', still not understanding that right or wrong don't apply to he and Maddy.

Chris, in particular, has a big red bullseye on him.

On the cover of Expressen
They own Chris's debt
A company in Texas bought it
The property can be seized
http://w.cdn-expressen.se/images/d4/af/d4af308cb968407389f134812002a109/502@70.jpg

The article
The director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren, said on Thursday that both property tax debts were fixed.
But it is denied by the authorities in case of holiday home in Florida. The Real estate tax for 2014 was paid on Thursday - the day Expressen's disclosure and Thorgren's statement, according to documents Expressen taken note of.
But the tax for 2013 - 32 405,36 USD, close to 270 000 SEK - remains unpaid.
Since the tax was not paid on due date, March 31 2014, the so called Certificate to the debt was sold to the company Dana H Cook Family Partnership, based in Houston, Texas, which engages in such transactions. A process that is common in USA for unpaid taxes, it brings in money to the authorities without having to wait.
The property owner, Chris O'Neill by now Bahama Beach Holdings, is forced to pay interest to the owner of the certificate - Dana H Cook Family Partnership - for up to two years after it is issued.
If the debt is still not paid then the tax office in Palm Beach starts a process of repossession of the property.
A homeowner may at any time during the two years pay off the debt and get rid of the interest margin and the lagged tax.
- You do that to us, and then we replace the owner of the certificate, said a representative of the tax authority in Palm Beach.
It has not happened in this case, but it can be confirmed that the tax for 2014 was paid on Thursday - more than two months before the final payment date 31 March. Expressen has sought the court and Chris for further comment without success.
Det är företaget som äger Chris husskuld Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Magnus Alselind, the managing editor of Expressen at his blog
Journalism around the royal family's is narrative that affects many readers. Some do not care at all, but there are at least 127 million reasons to look after the Head of State obligations (so big was the apanage last year).
Royal Court's new director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren has worked to open up communication about the royal family, but it would be fair that the head of state in more detail would tell what Princess Madeleine's husband does in his companies, to what he invests money and what interests he has.
Chris himself does not have the slightest interest in that the Swedish people should take note of that information. Madeleine should be able to give him some tips. When I was a correspondent in London (2001-03) and Princess was unhappy with media coverage of her studying time there, she simply ignored the court's press department and called herself to me on the phone, sorted out a few things in a way constructive conversation.
127 miljoner skäl till att vi granskar Kungahuset NYHETSBLOGGEN
Translation

I agree that the press know they can push Chris's buttons.

Magnus Alselind, the managing editor of Expressen at his blog
Journalism around the royal family's is narrative that affects many readers. Some do not care at all, but there are at least 127 million reasons to look after the Head of State obligations (so big was the apanage last year).
Royal Court's new director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren has worked to open up communication about the royal family, but it would be fair that the head of state in more detail would tell what Princess Madeleine's husband does in his companies, to what he invests money and what interests he has.
Chris himself does not have the slightest interest in that the Swedish people should take note of that information. Madeleine should be able to give him some tips. When I was a correspondent in London (2001-03) and Princess was unhappy with media coverage of her studying time there, she simply ignored the court's press department and called herself to me on the phone, sorted out a few things in a way constructive conversation.
127 miljoner skäl till att vi granskar Kungahuset NYHETSBLOGGEN
Translation

I don't quite agree. Chris is not Sweden's head of state; King Carl Gustaf is. In fact, Chris is not even a prince of Sweden or an official member of the royal family. He doesn't have any official role in Sweden and doesn't get money AFAIK from the Swedish taxpayers. Why should his private investments be a public matter ? None of us as private citizens have to publicize how we invest our money or tell the press where our money is invested unless we become state officials or run for public office.

I don't quite agree. Chris is not Sweden's head of state; King Carl Gustaf is. In fact, Chris is not even a prince of Sweden or an official member of the royal family. He doesn't have any official role in Sweden and doesn't get money AFAIK from the Swedish taxpayers. Why should his private investments be a public matter ? None of us as private citizens have to publicize how we invest our money or tell the press where our money is invested unless we become state officials or run for public office.

I tend to agree, however the Swedish population looks at the royal family as a whole, and the population has generally a high level of demand regarding the exemplarity of their Kings or présidents, etc (there are exceptions in some countries...) They must be whiter than snow!

Chris probably has the same perception as Mbruno, but not the Swedish population, which is among the most demanding ones regarding fairness, transparancy, equal treatment etc, and by now a fairly limited support to its monarchy.

I still wonder where the information comes from : by chance good personal contacts??, alternatively it must represent a huge investigation work and/or "buying" information, which are quite costly for a minor importance affair, in the absence of a running court case.
It is the second time that Chris is a target : there had already been criticism on alleged involvement in tax haven activities in his former position, which he happened to leave shortly after.

It seems that there has been a meeting at the court due this small crisis, Chris has given interviews to both Expressen and Aftonbladet.

Parts of the very long interview in Expressen
Chris:
- All has been settled. And by that I mean that everything has been paid. It may take time for them to be regulated. I think it is 7 to 10 days for the tax collector in Palm Beach to regulate and remove the unpaid balance. Just because you can't see it does not mean that it is not fixed.
According to the authorities in Palm Beach 2014 taxes were paid on Thursday. But the former debt has not been paid. Why not?
- As soon as this became known to me, I have seen that everything is settled.
But this sum was paid then obviously too late because the requirement has been taken over by another company?
- Compliant.
And this situation has been caused by a late payment?
- Absolutely, yes. It is an unconscious mistake. It is a family house and we have advisers who manage several things about the companies included in the ownership structure. If I let them do everything the costs would be higher than the amounts we are talking about here. So that is why I am involved myself. And in this case it has simply passed me by. There has been so much for me during the past year and I simply ... this was forgotten. I must thank Bunte because they made me aware of this.
The property in Florida is then not only owned by you?
- I have a minority stake.
Is Princess Madeleine ...
- No, she has no ownership regarding this.
How would you describe the situation you are in?
- To talk about my personal finances is never fun but I understand that it is part of the situation I'm in and I'm willing to explain the interpretations I think are false.
Are your businesses doing good?
- Some yes, others go a little slowly.
Do you have other debts than those we have heard about over the last few days?
- I have a rather modest share of loans for investment.
Do you look after the payment of your taxes yourself or have someone do it for you?
- Of course I do. I have an accountant firm that my family has used for thirty years. But to have someone who handles your tax does not mean that your liability is less or that you protect yourself from the errors that can occur, absolutely not. It's up to you to double-check their work.
Have you had similar issues with US tax authorities before?
- No, not with tax authorities. But if I have had late payments? Yes, the one who is aware of the tax collectors in Palm Beach would discover that I have been late a few times with payments, there are in fact two occasions during the last seven years. I have hundreds of other things for me and I work sometimes hundred hours a week and travel a lot. One can only say that there are no other reason except that I should improve my way of managing the household economy a bit.
You have not previously been so interested in talking about your business. Can you tell us a bit more about what it is you do?
- I have some investments in private companies primarily in USA. Some are technology companies, others have the energy to do, natural gas. I am also involved in a payment system, which is already established in USA. But because of lack of competitiveness not in Europe. We hope that we can change that. That's about it, I am prepared to say. I am in a rather unique position where I want to try to continue to be private yet not be. It is difficult to balance.
Did Princess Madeleine know about these debts?
- No, and Palm Beach is the only "debt". But no. When I read Bunte's article it was the first time I realized that we owed money for Palm Beach and it was also the first time she heard it.
And she has not known the tax for the apartment in New York either?
- No, I pay all the bills. I am entirely responsible for all payments, she lets me do it and it's my fault. No one else's.
Chris also tells that his identity was stolen.
Chris Alla pengar har lämnat mitt konto Nyheter Expressen
Translation

To Aftonbladet:
- It is I, and I alone, who is responsible for paying all the bills and property taxes. I take full responsibility for the late payment of property tax.
Chris and Madeleine are currently residing in Stockholm. But Chris O'Neill says:
- It is probably only temporary.
How does it affect your business, that you are moving to Europe?
- I have many business interests in Europe. I will continue to travel a lot, but the distances are shorter now.
How has marriage with Princess Madeleine affected your business.
- The constant attention from European media has not had a positive effect, for obvious reasons.
When Chris is asked about if he discussed about the media information about his tax liabilities with his father-in-law the king, he answers:
- Yes, of course I have spoken to the king about it. I have a good contact with my father-in-law.
What the king had to say, Chris O'Neill does not answer.
Chris O'Neill talar ut Tar fullt ansvar Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Hmmm, it seems that the SRF have learnt a thing or two from the media debacle in the UK and have gone "full disclosure" in an attempt to clear the air. Only time will tell if the media are willing to stop gnawing on that bone.

It seems that there has been a meeting at the court due this small crisis, Chris has given interviews to both Expressen and Aftonbladet.

Parts of the very long interview in Expressen
Chris:
- All has been settled. And by that I mean that everything has been paid. It may take time for them to be regulated. I think it is 7 to 10 days for the tax collector in Palm Beach to regulate and remove the unpaid balance. Just because you can't see it does not mean that it is not fixed.
According to the authorities in Palm Beach 2014 taxes were paid on Thursday. But the former debt has not been paid. Why not?
- As soon as this became known to me, I have seen that everything is settled.
But this sum was paid then obviously too late because the requirement has been taken over by another company?
- Compliant.
…...

I find it hard to believe that a business man like Chris who has professional help to file his taxes would simply "forget" to pay them as he claims.

Anyway, I see two newsworthy statements in this interview. First, Chris admitted for the first time that some of his businesses are "going a bit slowly", which means he may be having financial troubles after all. Second, he said that living in Sweden is only "temporary", In other words, hopes that Madeleine may become a full-time working royal are premature and doubts over Leonore's and her future sibling's succession rights still linger in the horizon.

IMHO, Chris looks increasingly like a liability to the SRF.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we have to remember that Chris' taxes are likely more complex than ours. If he runs a number of businesses in different countries as well as having homes and other liabilities around the world then its not as simple as making one payment or filling in one form. think about how many famous people either celebrities or buisnessmen and women have had issues with paying taxes in the past.
I'm not saying its right I'm just saying its easier to see why there might have been problems. That being said once Chris married into the Swedish RF he should have double and tripled checked his responsibilities as it was pretty obvious any issues would be found by the press. Hopefully he will put measures in place to make sure it can't happen again.

In regards to his businesses 'going slow' I'm sure its not something to worry about, I don't think we'll see Chris and Maddie being broke and living with parents anytime soon.

Chris is defo in a tenuous position now. His vest is not as white as it was supposed to be. The media will continue to dig and his businesses will probably provide enough fodder. Then we have the situation where they will live, Sweden, probably not, but Leonore needs to live in Sweden to remain in the line ... lots of things to write and speculate about. Chris should have learned a lesson or two from other family members who get positive press despite a lot of fodder available but not being used.

The house in florida was his mother's isn't that correct? He could be covering for her. It may be a family house which is rented out and owned by all and he is the one to pay all the bills or make sure they are paid, some of the other owners may be totally inept. and, Just because you have people work for you doesn't mean they are perfect or don't make mistakes! However, I have a feeling he tries to do too much himself.
Let Madde pay the bills!

The house in florida was his mother's isn't that correct? He could be covering for her. It may be a family house which is rented out and owned by all and he is the one to pay all the bills or make sure they are paid, some of the other owners may be totally inept. and, Just because you have people work for you doesn't mean they are perfect or don't make mistakes! However, I have a feeling he tries to do too much himself.
Let Madde pay the bills!

The house in Florida is owned by Chris's company Bahama Beach Holdings LLC. He is the manager at the company. Bahama Beach Holdings bought the house in 2008.
http://www.pbcgov.com/papa/Asps/PropertyDetail/PropertyDetail.aspx?parcel=50434310020000012
Detail by Officer/Registered Agent Name

Chris said at his interview that he has a minority stake of the house.

In addition to Bahama Beach Holdings LLC, Chris is involved at least in these companies. The swedish press has been written about these.
Wilton Partners Palm Beach, LLC
http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/Co...istNameOrder=ONEILLCHRISTOPHER F0500000719918
Wilton Payments LLC
http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/Co...istNameOrder=ONEILLCHRISTOPHER F0500000719918
Belgravia Investments LLC
And in Great Britain with his brother-in-law John Henry d'Abo, Wilton Payments Limited
http://companycheck.co.uk/company/05099271/WILTON-PAYMENTS-LIMITED/group-structure#shareholders

Last edited:
At The Scandinavian Royals Message Board
London Evening Standard states at the property section that Madeleine was seen viewing properties in London's Belgravia district, where her mother-in-law lives.
The Scandinavian Royals Message Board: Princess Madeleine considering a move to London?

Stoppa pressarna tells about Madeleine's friend, model Caroline Winberg, who is also pregnant and lives now in London. So since the babies will be born very close to each other, they could become friends, since it is thought that Madeleine and Chris will move to London. Madeleine, Caroline and Sofi Fahrman spent quite a lot of time together in New York. Caroline was invited to Madeleine's and Chris's wedding.
Prinsessan Madeleine och supermodellen Caroline Winberg får jämngamla bebisar Stoppa Pressarna

Last edited:
Welcome to London, the european capital of celebrities and paparazzi. I am sure Chris will enjoy the stay :innocent:

Chris is defo in a tenuous position now. His vest is not as white as it was supposed to be. The media will continue to dig and his businesses will probably provide enough fodder. Then we have the situation where they will live, Sweden, probably not, but Leonore needs to live in Sweden to remain in the line ... lots of things to write and speculate about. Chris should have learned a lesson or two from other family members who get positive press despite a lot of fodder available but not being used.
The property taxes are nothing in the grand scheme of things, they were paid, albeit paid late, and there's an end to it. Such things do do not tinge his vest grey, except in the eyes of the tabloids.

Welcome to London, the european capital of celebrities and paparazzi. I am sure Chris will enjoy the stay :innocent:

Yes, I'm sure too. Now when they have visited London sometimes, they have not had the paparazzi following them. But if/when they move to London and the press knows where they live, the situation is totally different.

The property taxes are nothing in the grand scheme of things, they were paid, albeit paid late, and there's an end to it. Such things do do not tinge his vest grey, except in the eyes of the tabloids.

But the "common people" write in Svensk Damtidning's comments and elsewhere, that it seems that Chris doesn't have money anymore and the king must pay his taxes, hopefully not from the apanage. And that Madeleine had to make a visit to Gävle to get some money from the apanage.
And about Chris's tax debts, they were told to be 350000 SEK. Now Expressen wrote that Chris has a watch which may be worth over 500000 SEK. It makes his tax debt episode look like he is arrogant and like many wealthy people, thinks that he can manage of everything. How does is sound to a common Swede, who tries to get along with a salary, which is much less?
Everything affects to everything, and the state of the monarchy isn't as good and stable as many years ago.

Statement from the Royal Court:
'Princess Madeleine registers as a Swedish resident
Princess Madeleine and Princess Leonore register as Swedish residents.
As previously announced, the family has now left New York and are living in Stockholm.

This also means that the birth of Princess Madeleine's second child, which is due this summer, is expected to take place in Sweden.'
http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt...wedishresident.5.3e595e0914acd6758cf40b7.html
So I guess this means theyll be moving permanently to Sweden, and I suppose to Stockholm
Article from expressen
https://translate.googleusercontent...erige/&usg=ALkJrhjq_nQaUfh4vgBPgakHelN1mOUTdg

'It was in March 2012 as Princess Madeleine chose to do the unexpected decision to print from Sweden - emigrate and settle in the United States. It is almost three years ago and Expressen can now reveal documents showing that the princess since 3 February, last Tuesday, was written back in Sweden.
- Madeleine personally visited the Swedish Tax Agency and met with a caseworker. When you want to enroll again in Sweden requires that you personally arrive at the Tax Office, says Tobias Wijk, business developer at registration at the Tax Agency.
On application to the Swedish Tax Agency also shows that even her husband Chris O'Neill, or Christopher Paul O'Neill that Madeleine has written on the document, also want to immigrate to Sweden. Even her daughter Princess Leonore is also included in the application and the question "what is your intention to stay in Sweden?" responds Madeleine: "Settlements".
- When this kind of application it says in the Population Registration Act to the length of stay in Sweden must be at least one year. In all cases the intention explains Tobias Wijk Swedish Tax Agency.
"Couple's intention"
Princess Madeleine seems to have the ambition to now stay in Sweden for more than a year under the title "My stay in Sweden", Princess ticked the option "I'll stay in Sweden" and written "permanent". She could also have chosen to time specify their stay, but choose right "permanent".
- Yes, it seems to be the couple's intention, in that they have chosen that option in its application, says Tobias Wijk.
- This is a fairly simple process. Nothing complicated, explains Tobias Wijk.
Royal Court CIO Margaret Thorgren:
- It is true that Princess Madeleine is registered in Sweden since 3 February.
Why?
- Because you must be registered where they live.
How long she stays in Sweden?
- Now and in the future, Stockholm is the base for the family.
Will she give birth in Stockholm?
- Princess planning to give birth to her second child in Sweden, confirms Margaret Thorgren.
Which hospital?
- It is not yet decided.'

Well at least the media can't say that they felt pressure to move Stockholm due to the recent criticism (re interviews) since she went to the tax authorities on the 3rd, the day after the visit to Gavle and a day before the person from the radio station spoke about his disappointment at the lack of interviews

Last edited:
Right. I expect more criticism then? Madeleine and Chris can't never win in the media's book. IMO that' a right choice, at least at the moment

Margareta Thorgren to Aftonbladet
- The family has moved from the United States and the home base is now Stockholm. Therefore, the princess registered in Sweden. You must be registered where you have your principal residence.
Will Chris O'Neill registrate of residence in Sweden?
- The whole family lives in Stockholm and right now it's Princess Madeleine and Princess Leonore written here.
Does Chris O'Neill plan to register here later?
- We must see to the future.
Prinsessan Madeleine flyttar till Sverige Nyheter Aftonbladet

Interesting. Does this have something to do with taxes? I know nothing of how Sweden works.

Interesting. Does this have something to do with taxes? I know nothing of how Sweden works.

I dont think. Some time ago the Princess said that she would move back to Sweden in the near future.

I'm not really understanding this
She left Sweden and no one was happy about that but now she's back and it seems no one is happy about that either
What am I not understanding ??
Not being rude just really not following

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I'm not really understanding this
She left Sweden and no one was happy about that but now she's back and it seems no one is happy about that either
What am I not understanding ??
Not being rude just really not following

From the posted articles i don't get that "no-one is happy they move to Sweden"?
Imo it could be a sign that P.Madeleine will take on a few more royal obligations in the future to support her father and sister, and the children will be in the line of succession and that's not bad either.
What the media could jump on is why Chris "will settle later" and i'm sure they can come up with some interesting money/tax related stories around this, but otherwise they'd have nothing to write about ;)

From the posted articles i don't get that "no-one is happy they move to Sweden"?
Imo it could be a sign that P.Madeleine will take on a few more royal obligations in the future to support her father and sister, and the children will be in the line of succession and that's not bad either.
What the media could jump on is why Chris "will settle later" and i'm sure they can come up with some interesting money/tax related stories around this, but otherwise they'd have nothing to write about ;)
I agree. They had already said she will do more engagements. This just cements that. And there is a very, very simple reason why Chris isn't written there yet. Leonore and Madeleine already are Swedish citizens and Chris isn't. Ofc his will take more time because he will have to get a visa.

Well I hope it isn't for tax reasons and Chris gives them any reason to question it It's a good time to come home with another baby on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom