The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 AM
Serene Highness

I do NOT want to start a political discussion here, but I only wanted to express, how WONDERFUL it is from CP Victoria to attend this event and to decide by herself to show support for the gay community - and the gigantic applause is more than well deserved.

Great step from a great Crown Princess! Wow.
BYe Bine

Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Great appearance!

Here's an additional article:

** svenskdam.se: Victoria överraskade på gala i natt ** translation **

Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
I do NOT want to start a political discussion here, but I only wanted to express, how WONDERFUL it is from CP Victoria to attend this event and to decide by herself to show support for the gay community - and the gigantic applause is more than well deserved.

BYe Bine

I completely agree. Well done Victoria!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I do NOT want to start a plolitical discussion here, but I only wanted to express, how WONDERFUL it is from CP Victoria to attend this event and to decide by herself to show support for the gay community - and the gigantic applause is more than well deserved.

BYe Bine
Agreed! Wonderful gesture by a wonderful Crown Princess!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Another photogallery

Prinsessa Victoria Gaygaalassa | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:

BYe Bine
I agree! It was about time!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Serene Highness

I think, the norwegian crownprince-couple made the pioneer work, maybe so got the CP Victoria more courage for it...
Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortimo View Post
I think, the norwegian crownprince-couple made the pioneer work, maybe so got the CP Victoria more courage for it...
Whatever & whomever.It happened,and that is what counts!
Absolutely fantastic that Royals of their stature chime in and make sincere statements like this,being an example to all.
Kjaere Victoria,Mange Takk.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

i wish i could understand what she says when the chaos starts again!

*edit* i read it in the article and i was able to understand!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

[QUOTE=Bine221;1513455]I do NOT want to start a political discussion here, but I only wanted to express, how WONDERFUL it is from CP Victoria to attend this event and to decide by herself to show support for the gay community - and the gigantic applause is more than well deserved.

Yes, we could say courageous from her, I wonder whether this was discussed in the royal family or with the government, before she expessed herself?!

however she was not taking undue risks, since "Same-sex marriage in Sweden has been legal since 1 May 2009, following the adoption of a new, gender-neutral law on marriage by the Swedish parliament on 1 April 2009, making Sweden the seventh country in the world to open marriage to same sex couples nationwide. Existing registered partnerships will remain in force, and can be converted to a marriage if the parties so desire, either through a written application or through a formal ceremony. "(wikipedia).

However my personal views are to respect gays, without offering them excessive emphasis.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2 View Post

Yes, we could say courageous from her, I wonder whether this was discussed in the royal family or with the government, before she expessed herself?!
Prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt handed out the prize "Gay of the Year" in 2010.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2 View Post
Yes, we could say courageous from her, I wonder whether this was discussed in the royal family or with the government, before she expessed herself?
There is nothing politically controversial with a royal attending the QX gay gala, a couple of politicians have got the prize "Straight person of the year" since the beginning of the gala, as well as the bishop of Stockholm and the police chief of Stockholm getting that prize, and with the exception of the Christian Democratic party and the right-wing Sweden Democrats there are no political opposition against gays having the same rights as straights. I'm more surprised that it has taken this long for a member of the royal family to attend the gala.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria is hailed by Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt, who said to Aftonbladet that he remembers what a great atmosphere and community was at Gaygalan when he shared the prize in 2010. He thinks it is fun and meaningful that the Crown Princess chose to hand out the prize this year.
Reinfeldt is not the only politician who was impressed by the royal family initiatives. The secretary general of the Social Democrats, Carin Jämtin says that it is good that the Crown Princess shows that the royal family represents the values of modern Sweden.
Even the Swedish Republican Association comments on Victoria's statement, the Secretary General Magnus Simonsson says that he truly believes that her commitment is genuine. But her decision is not controversial in 2013. When royals express such obvious they are described as heroes. But it's nothing remarkable, it is rather strange that they have not supported the movement in the past.
Reinfeldt hyllar Victoria efter succén på Gaygalan Nyheter Aftonbladet
Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Here's another gallery of the gala:

** pp: Princesse Victoria : Elégance et émotion avec Jonas Gardell, 'l'Homo de l'année' **
Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria won everyone's heart at GayGalan
Victoria vann allas hjärtan på gaygalan Nöje Expressen Nöje Nöjesnyheter Musiknyheter Filmnyheter
Translation

Beautiful, Victoria!
Vackert, Victoria! Ledare Expressen
Translation
Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

TV4 sent GayGalan yesterday evening on TV, here's a clip of Victoria delivering the prize.
Kronprinsessan Victoria delar ut pris för Årets homo till Jonas Gardell - TV4 Play
Old 02-10-2013, 04:10 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I rally admire royals who take up causes that may be deemed "unsafe"; it takes guts and resolution.
Good on Victoria for advocating the rights of all of her people.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a pictured article about it:

** svenskdam.se: Kronprinsessan Victoria tog emot på slottet ** translation **

** svenskdam.se: Kronprinsessan i Mayla **

** lehtikuva.fi gallery: Victoria emännöi Marokon parlamentin puhemiehen vierailua kuninkaanlinnassa **

** pp gallery: Princesse Victoria : Petite bouffée de politique avant l'anniversaire d'Estelle **

Tags
crown princess victoria