The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP
I am not suprised that she's keeping the sex a secret!
Or they've decided not to find out. I can't wait till the baby arrives!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Or they've decided not to find out. I can't wait till the baby arrives!
Daniel has said twice that they haven┤t wanted to find out the sex of their child. First he said it in Wilmington in USA and then in Stockholm two weeks ago.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Crown Princess Victoria has received the four Christmas trees for the Royal Palace today, December 15:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Kronprinsessan tog emot granar ** translation **
Old 12-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Crown Princess Victoria has received the four Christmas trees for the Royal Palace today, December 15:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Kronprinsessan tog emot granar ** translation **
Are they joking with those trees? I guess if you're into the Charlie Brown look they're OK, but hardly what I would expect for a Royal Palace.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Bigger version of the photo of Victoria and the trees
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...85854996_n.jpg
Old 12-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Are they joking with those trees? I guess if you're into the Charlie Brown look they're OK, but hardly what I would expect for a Royal Palace.
Perhaps the Swedes know how they like to celebrate christmas including the size of the trees according to their traditions (including the placement of the trees). Comments like the one above shows such a lack of understanding that americans do not set the standard for other cultures and traditions.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought the trees looked festive~ Victoria looks so happy!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

The trees are normally given outside, but obviously Victoria preferred inside.They look like a very good size to me. About the size:
Carl Philip with the trees last year, they were of different sizes like this year too.
Prins Carl Philip tog emot granar - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
Old 12-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:

An example of a typical comment out of the American over-commercial society. Christmas is first and foremost a Christian religious holiday. Not the celebration of greed modern society has created. OK, I'm off my soapbox now.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Now you all have piqued my interest...my original post was partially tongue-in-cheek, but I have to admit ... I am an American born and raised, and I would never set out to obtain a Christmas tree that looks anything like those presented to CP Victoria this year.

Cultural bias, it must be...I have traveled in Europe but not at the holidays so I have no point of reference there. My own Christmas tree is an 8 foot noble fir that comes out of the box and is set up every year the weekend after Thanksgiving. It does look practically perfect in every way.

Do most Europeans get live/real Christmas trees? Do you not care if they look scrawny? These questions are posed with all sincerity; of course I know the real meaning of Christmas and the quality of the tree does not figure into it. I consider myself an open-minded person but apparently not with regard to this subject! Thank you and sorry to steer a current events thread a bit off topic.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Those Christmas trees which Victoria received are very similar to those I have had in my home.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Now you all have piqued my interest...my original post was partially tongue-in-cheek, but I have to admit ... I am an American born and raised, and I would never set out to obtain a Christmas tree that looks anything like those presented to CP Victoria this year.

Cultural bias, it must be...I have traveled in Europe but not at the holidays so I have no point of reference there. My own Christmas tree is an 8 foot noble fir that comes out of the box and is set up every year the weekend after Thanksgiving. It does look practically perfect in every way.

Do most Europeans get live/real Christmas trees? Do you not care if they look scrawny? These questions are posed with all sincerity; of course I know the real meaning of Christmas and the quality of the tree does not figure into it. I consider myself an open-minded person but apparently not with regard to this subject! Thank you and sorry to steer a current events thread a bit off topic.
I cut our fresh trees in the forest and they are not the groomed and perfectly manicured tree lot tree. And an artificial tree will never be displayed in my home.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:48 AM
Commoner

It doesn't matter if the christmas tree is a bit asymmetric or thin, the point is that it is a symbol of life and it's continuity, so an artificial, plastic tree won't do. And it does not have the lovely scent of a fresch-cut fir, so real one it must be!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Royal Highness

The trees look good to me. A good tree needs a nice structure on top and needs to have a certain and regular distance between the branches from bottom to top (a bit like a house with regular floors) so when decorated the branches form a perfect and regular display for the decoration. Everything else depends on the place you want to display the tree. I for example have a corner where the tree is perfectly displayed and lighted but because it's just a corner I need a different, slimmer tree than our neighbors who present their tree as the centerpiece of their living room.

It depends when you buy your tree. Some people buy it at the beginning of advent and get rid of it after the 6th of January, others like my family buys it the day before christmas eve and freshly cut, so it lasts till the 2rd of February (Candlemas) which is the ancient catholic date to remove the tree. In former times when the living room was only used and heated for special occassions it was easy to keep the tree fresh for the six weeks from christmas to canlemas, but nowadays you need a very fresh tree and still it's difficult to keep the tree "going"...
Old 12-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I would. Why shouldn't I? They don't look scrawny to me but tree-y. Not perfectly created like a fake tree but like a real living thing. With cuts and bruises and flaws that shows that it's not a perfectly designed thing (in this case: tree). And don't forget the smell you won't have with a fake tree. I couldn't imagine a christmas tree in my living room that doesn't smell one bit like a tree should. Unthinkable!

I think when it comes to christmas trees there's really a difference between Europe and USA. I've two email pals (some Chicago suburb and New York City), my husband has relatives somewhere in Florida and my best friend has relatives somewhere near San Diego (and also somewhere in Canada). So I have a got real life knowledge and not just cinema/TV knowledge. Every single one of the aformentioned people have fake trees. Most of them with tiny, colourful, blinking lights on it. They also say most of their friends, relatives, collegues, etc have fake trees. And it's perfectly normal over there to have fakes.

In europe on the other hand, especially in Germany, you would be a very tiny minority if you would have a fake tree. Most people here have real trees that range from really big down to tiny potted mini-trees. The biggest question here in Germany is every year whether to go for real or fake candles. I think it's splitted 50/50 here. Or 60/40 in favor for the fake candles.

Personally I couldn't imagine a christmas without a nice caucasian fir, real candles christmas songs singing and a delicious meal (incl. the perfect, yummy bread dumplings my dad only makes on christmas) in my parents house (on 24.12.) and the to-die-for beef olives (on 25.12.) selfmade from my mother-in-law. That's my perfect german christmas.

And to come back to the topic at hand: I still think those swedish trees are nice. They're real, they've character and they're "born" and "raised" in sweden which is perfect for a tree for the royal palace. And what I like most is CP Victoria with her radiant smile and clothes that suit her current circumstance. Not like those noble price dresses (the blue and the white one) that made her rounder and fatter than she really is right now. Sorry, but I really didn't like those dresses on her. At least not in this circumstances. This one is way better.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Gentry

Ruthieviews

No mention of the fact that the trees were of the same size assortment last year. It appears that the family has requested trees of different sizes. A small one for their private quarters, a very large one for the entry, a medium one for the dining room, and perhaps a slightly smaller one for a reception room. They obviously asked for this assortment of sizes because they match those presented last year. I prefer the sweet smell of fresh trees and love the fact that they are not "perfect."
Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

I found these photos of Victoria at the Royal Academy of Music's festive gathering, 28th November.
http://www.dt.se/image_processor/1.4...g?maxWidth=650
http://www.lulea.se/images/18.369cf8...stipendie1.jpg
http://www.lulea.se/images/18.369cf8...stipendie2.jpg
Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Serene Highness

Do we see CP Vistoria again during/or after Christmas? Or is she in "maternity leave" already?
BYe Bine
Old 12-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
Do we see CP Vistoria again during/or after Christmas? Or is she in "maternity leave" already?
BYe Bine
Normally the swedish royal family have a long holiday during Christmas time, so I suppose that we don┤t see Victoria then. The court hasn┤t announced anything about a maternity leave.
The calendars of the members of the royal family are empty next year, only one event for the king on March. Maybe the calendar is updated only at the beginning of January. Then we will see, if Victoria is on her maternity leave.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Crown Princess Victoria visited the Astrid Lindgren Children's hospital in Solna today, January 19,
2012. Astrid Lindgren Children's Hospital in Solna and Children's Hospital in Huddinge have merged
into one pediatric hospital within the organisation of Karolinska University Hospital.

** ppe gallery ** lehtikuva.fi gallery ** danapress/belga gallery **

** aftonbladet.se video: Victoria kommer till barnsjukhuset **

** purepeople: La princesse Victoria tout sourire Ó l'h˘pital, Ó quelques semaines d'accoucher **

Tags
crown princess victoria