The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 04:19 AM
Aristocracy

I can well immagine that Hult wanted the extra attention of the media, and he probably has the power to make sure his name is in the press as often as it was. 'Cause, honestly, after the first time who of us needed to know what the name of the yacht owner was? But then that it is the problem of the press, not the couple. How much would it have costed to do a similarily discreet trip? I do not see the problem, is what I want to say. Other royals do and have done the same. Princess Diana was out on lovely yachts with different people. And swedens royal family does not have to do Hult a favor for taking on his offer, he already had the benefit.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:37 AM
Aristocracy

I agree with you. Many members of Royals Family benefits from their rich friends and vice-versa. And I think all this affair is more imoral than illegal.
Somebody made a complaint and more than sure the Prosecutors will say that they did not broke the law. End of affair.
But... their image had suffered .
In my country the news that Princess Victoria of Sweden is accused of corruption was on TV all day. More than her wedding in the wedding day.
What I want to say (and I end this subject) is they have to be two times careful and cautious with their acts for their sake and their people's sake.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Nobility

I think it is a stupid affair. It is logical that royals have many rich friends and that they will not give them something cheap as a wedding gift.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Serene Highness

If I was not a blogger on this blog, I never would have heard about this. This story has not been on the news in the United States. I haven't seen it on any of the news channels either.

It looks like no matter what this couple did, someone in Sweden or elsewhere would find fault with them or question them. Sad isn't it.

When the Prosecutor says that they did nothing wrong, those accusers should make a public apology to them. Perhaps they should be charged with filing false accusations or slandering the couple (I would think filing false accusations against royalty would be a very serious offense, punishable by law).
Old 08-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Article in Gala:
Prinzessin Victoria + Prinz Daniel: Daniel ist ihr Trumpf - Story auf Gala.de
Old 08-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Aristocracy

I don't even think it is immoral to have wealthy friends and accept gifts from them. What's the difference between any other wedding gift and this one? Mind you, the man owns the plane and yacht anyway, and he will also anyway have to have a crew at his disposal. The royal couple does not retain any wealth from the gift, but an expericence. Again, it was not that V&D forced the media to repeat again and again who owned the yacht and plane. So, if anyone it is the newspapers who are to blame. Maybe they also got a gift from Mr. Hult?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
If I was not a blogger on this blog, I never would have heard about this. This story has not been on the news in the United States. I haven't seen it on any of the news channels either.
You are correct, American media is not covering because it is a non-story. Heavens, you would not expect a multi-millionaire to give his country's future queen a toaster for a wedding gift! This was quite proper given his wealth -- actually it probably didn't cost him all that much extra. It was his personal property operated by his employees. Silly trouble making story.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Aristocracy

No sighting of the newlyweds this week-end?
I was hoping we would see them before the planned event next week in Orebro.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:31 AM
Courtier

I am somewhat two folded on this story. On the one hand I do understand that rich or royal people do have friends who play in their own league and who would come up with expensive presents for certain occasions like weddings, birthdays and so forth. This is something normal for them where I would not see any harm. But on the other hand I do believe that especially when you are a resprentative of a state you need to be careful what you accept as presents from certain people. You can't accept everything as it would sometimes give the impression to the public that you are corrupt. I would have expected that the Royal House did some research in advance before Victoria and Daniel accepted the gifts. At least this is what big companies normally do in such cases. As said you have to be careful what you accept from other people when the whole country is watching you.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Nobility

The difficulty for royalty is the security aspect. Staying on a private yacht, with the ower's own staff, is much easier to police and there are less likely to be 'leaks' to the media. And those who say that it did not cost Hult much more to put his property to Victoria's and Daniel's use are probably quite correct. Also, even people with not that much money will offer their home or holiday home/timeshare to good friends. You will also sometimes lend your car to a good friend. This is just on a slightly higher scale than most of us are used to, but it is the same principle.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by altagrace View Post
No sighting of the newlyweds this week-end?
I was hoping we would see them before the planned event next week in Orebro.
I guess they have had a strong turn off by all this crazy stuff.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Aristocracy

Probably not, Elisheva, because they are too in love to read dreary newspapers
And than there's always the lovelife of the little brother to discuss... So they might not care about it much.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Aristocracy

It must affect them somehow I would guess. Landing from cloud number 9 on the concrete floor of the republicans. It might not have been news in the USA or Canada, it certainly was in Europe all over the TV. I think they are being treated unfairly. I hope their debut as a married couple next Saturday will give them a boost.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisheva View Post
It must affect them somehow I would guess. Landing from cloud number 9 on the concrete floor of the republicans. It might not have been news in the USA or Canada, it certainly was in Europe all over the TV. I think they are being treated unfairly. I hope their debut as a married couple next Saturday will give them a boost.
I was in Sweden by the time it came out and I haven't even notice it being big news there, if it would be all over TV and newspapers I'd have noticed it earlier then when I came back home.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

This entire thing is ridiculous.
They're blowing this situation out of proportion.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
I was in Sweden by the time it came out and I haven't even notice it being big news there, if it would be all over TV and newspapers I'd have noticed it earlier then when I came back home.
Well, it was big news in Germany, Holland and Belgium, both in papers and on TV. In Holland it was even in the 8 o'clock news and extensively discussed in a talk show. On ZDF in Germany it was also shown.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisheva View Post
Well, it was big news in Germany, Holland and Belgium, both in papers and on TV. In Holland it was even in the 8 o'clock news and extensively discussed in a talk show. On ZDF in Germany it was also shown.
It seems that Holland and Germany must have thought it was a big scandal in Sweden. It was reported on the evening news one day and in the tabloids the next day and then nothing more
Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Heir Apparent

This is all fodder for people who would like to do away with the monarchy. It's out there, and it's ugly.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Aristocracy

Aw no, it is only one more cheap story to print for the increasingly underpayed and understaffed journalists who in the small hours of the night try to get a newspaper together with the bits and pieces of information they find in the internet. Which is why it has come out big in countrys like Holland, Belgium and Germany, but not in Sweden itsself. The swedes probably know that nobody cares. Actually they would have more reason to worry about the loss of Haga park and the cost of renovation the castle.
The names Viktoria and Daniel sell, and if there is nothing else to write about them, any crumb of a scandal will do. No Royalist will become Republican because of it. It is just hot wind, I think.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria and Daniel will be present at the Presentation of the 2010 Polar Music Prize in Stockholm Concert Hall with the King and the Queen, they have been added to the royal calendar at this event.
Royal Diary - Sveriges Kungahus

Closed Thread