The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Aristocracy

The corruption angle would be plausible if Victoria was in a position to exercice real influence. But what power does she have really? If she could award big contracts, make big nominations etc. i could buy it but in a constitutional monarchy what power can she exercise realistically?

It souds like there are not enough news around the world to write about; some journalists are bored and have nothing better to do.
This story is not journalism,it is non-sense.
This is something to occupy the newspaper until other important news come up like Carl Philip latest conquest...

Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Serene Highness

To me that's like a slap in the face to them. They come back from their honeymoon and are told charges may be filled against them for bribery. Who filed these complaints against them in the first place? People that dislike royalty? Or someone that has a bone to pick with one of them them or wants to get at them for some reason? Someone whose jealous of them or jealous of the fact that they are happy together. Whoever did this should be ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES. It all sounds political to me.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Aristocracy

It was on prime time news in Holland. On 2 channels. It's too absurd for words. Welcome home, dear V&D.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Aristocracy

It's also in Dutch newspapers, practically all of them. Note: not in the tabloid section but under "foreign".

AD Buitenland - 'Kroonprinses Zweden is corrupt' (503842)

I guess this is for Daniel a good first lesson for self control and anger management.

Gimme a break guys, get a life and start writing about more important things.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Serene Highness

I doubt anything will come of it. Why did no-one make an issue of it the whole time they were away? It looks like it's been planned to 'coincide' with their return to me..
Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Aristocracy

Ok. Even I like Victoria, this a serios problem and question for her.
If somebody is working in Public Administration, to take money from an business man is bribe. It's not important if it's a gift for honeymoon.
So... maybe for the Royal Family there is another rules but they might have a better explanation for all of this than the tycoon is a friend of the family.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaE View Post
if somebody is working in Public Administration, to take money from an business man is bribe.

It is only a bribe IF the recipient is expected to or can give something back: some favour, service or similar. The question remains to be proven: what "favour" or service can Victoria repay? she doesn't have any "power"

If this is deemed to be a bribe, then V&D will have to return all wedding gifts from friends, even the ones they received from government. Looking in the future, therotically, this means they will never accept a dinner invitation again etc. Where is the limit?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Aristocracy

Yes ...I think you are right . It's too much to say is bribe. But to receive such an expensive "gift" it's very controversial. He is a businesman and the Royal Family have a lot of influence. We have something called "influence peddling".
I don't say SRF was bad intended, but their staff should know better.
Victoria and Daniel are in an unfortunate position and it's a shame.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Aristocracy

Six o'clock news reports it and I am watching RTL Boulevard now. It is all over the news in Holland now. Many people think it is much ado about nothing. Alexander and Maxima stayed in Freddy Heineken's villa in St. Moritz during their honeymoon. Royals have influential friends and present that comes along with it. I guess the republicans try to ruin their party.
Give it up!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Prosecutors are to consider whether Crown Princess Victoria and her husband Prince Daniel accepted bribes after a tycoon paid for the couple’s luxury honeymoon.
Princess accused of taking honeymoon bribe - The Local
Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoepfchen1988 View Post
This is a very complicated operation. Arlanda is not far away from Drottningholm and you can't ban every airplane from flying over Drottningholm, only for a party. Just imagine what would happen if they ban flying over Drottningholm every time they have a private party there.
If Jennifer Lopez was able to do it for her wedding and she's not a head of state surely the Royal Family could. I'm not saying ban all air traffic but paparazzi helicopters intruding their private party!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisheva View Post
Six o'clock news reports it and I am watching RTL Boulevard now. It is all over the news in Holland now. Many people think it is much ado about nothing. Alexander and Maxima stayed in Freddy Heineken's villa in St. Moritz during their honeymoon. Royals have influential friends and present that comes along with it. I guess the republicans try to ruin their party.
Give it up!
Well, it is 'komkommertijd'. They really have nothing else to talk about at the moment.
I do feel for V&D, what a depressing ending to their honeymoon.
I hope that it passes quickly. There doesn't seem to be a real problem, except what the media makes of it.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness

Webster's dictionary defines bribe. 1. "anything especially money given or promoised to induce a person to do something illegal or wrong." It is not illegal to take a honeymoon nor is it illegal for royalty to use a friend's yacht or planes. Is their a law on the books in Sweden regarding this? I seriously doubt that there is. CP Victoria and Prince Daniel have done nothing illegal or wrong in this case.

Someone has in it for them (for what reason I don't know). They must be very unhappy people or have nothing better to do with themselves. Perhaps they are jealous of the couple because they have something that they seriously lack.

2. "anything given or promised to induct a person to do something against his or her wishes". It's doubtful that this friend forced them to use his yacht or planes or forced them to do anything against their will. He would be in jail if he did.

I guess someone needed a story as the story about CP Carl Phillip is starting to get old.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaE View Post
Ok. Even I like Victoria, this a serios problem and question for her.
If somebody is working in Public Administration, to take money from an business man is bribe. It's not important if it's a gift for honeymoon.
So... maybe for the Royal Family there is another rules but they might have a better explanation for all of this than the tycoon is a friend of the family.
Nonsense.The man is a friend and if someone loves to start nagging on any given issue then he better pick something else.
Victoria has done nothing wrong,it's just the plebs without an extra buck ,and in this case the editor of a
so-called "republican paper",who gets jealous and vicious towards the Prince and Princess without any
legal ground.The editor of that so-called republican paper should be dragged to Court for libel but that
would give him too much exposure not worth the guy.Friends do what friends do and it's nobodies darn business.At all.
This is just a gross case of nitpicking and nothing else.The editors should be slammed silly by the decent press.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisheva View Post
It was on prime time news in Holland. On 2 channels. It's too absurd for words. Welcome home, dear V&D.
That means nothing.There's more on prime time here then anyone can deem healthy as we know.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Aristocracy

In Sweden this discussion doesn't seem to be so much up anymore. Or does someone have another opinion?
My photos of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel in their official visit to Finland on 1-2 of November, 2010: Photos from Lahti and Photos from Helsinki.Check out also my royalty postcard collection.
I never thought Prince William would be faster than me to get married - but he is!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Aristocracy

Just three complaints were made? Geeez...the powers that be must have alot of time on their hands if they feel it necessary to create all this brouhaha from just three snippy people. Have the complainants been named? If not that is typical behavior of those that try to stir up trouble and sneak off when the fighting breaks out. It's obvious this is a Republican stunt from those who are in a snit because Victoria and Daniel's wedding has generated a great deal of good will for the Monarchy. Snippy, self indulgent, self centered, immature people will go as low as possible to besmirch someone's good name for revenge and to further their own vainglorious cause. They generally tend to do that when they see their influence slipping. They can't do it honestly and forthrightly, therefore they go by dirty underhanded ways to undercut the other party. Their basic platform may be honorable in it's stance, but when they stoop to such underhanded dealings, then they renounce any respect they would have gotten otherwise.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJenni View Post
In Sweden this discussion doesn't seem to be so much up anymore. Or does someone have another opinion?
Media discovered that even antiroyals came out in support of the couple so its not newsworthy anymore
Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Commoner

Stockholm - Sweden's anti-corruption unit has received six complaints into "improper" wedding gifts received by Princess Victoria and her husband on their recent honeymoon, the unit told the German Press Agency dpa on Wednesday.

The princess, 33, and her husband, 36-year-old Daniel Westling, a former fitness instructor and entrepreneur, flew to French Polynesia on a private jet and then took a week-long cruise on a yacht after their June wedding.

Both the jet and the yacht are owned by Bertil Hult, founder of the EF language schools company.

The anti-corruption unit said that several of the complaints had referred to reports in the tabloid newspaper Aftonbladet, which estimated that the cost of renting a private jet or yacht was several million kronor (hundreds of thousands of dollars).

The complainants had said that acceptance of such gifts was improper and could be regarded as a bribe.

The unit said that no decision as to a possible investigation into the complaints had yet been made.

"It was a private trip and a wedding gift from an old friend of the royal family," the royal palace told dpa, declining further comment.

The newly-weds recently returned to Sweden but have no official engagements until August 21, when the country celebrates the 200th anniversary of the election of French marshal Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte as heir to the Swedish throne.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Aristocracy

It's too absurd for words. Royals have of course rich and influential people among their friends. What would a billionaire friend have given for a present instead? A salt and pepper set? Gimme a break!

Closed Thread