Children for Victoria and Daniel?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping they wait a couple of years so that Daniel has time to become accustomed to his role, etc.

Should the firstborn be female, I'd like to see the name of any previous queen regnant of Sweden so that she could reign as SomeName II. I am aware that Ulrika Eleonora may be considered "out-dated", but what's wrong with Kristina, Victoria, or Margareta? IMO, Ulrika Eleonora II, Kristina II, Victoria II and Margareta II would all be more interesting than some "original" name which has no historic value or significance.

Victoria's parents didn't wait for their one year anniversary before conceiving a baby. They married in June 1976 and in January 1977 the pregnancy was announced, so why should it be different for Victoria and Daniel?

I also want to say something on the family name thingy... The Swedish Royal Family doesn't use a surname, but as Daniel has one to begin with they had to do something so they added Bernadotte to his full name, making Westling a middle name. It's clear that Bernadotte is considered the surname of the Swedish Royal Family. And as females have succession rights they also have the right to pass on their last name to their children, meaning that Victoria's and Daniel's children will have the right to use "Bernadotte" as their last name if there is ever need for one.

Someone pointed out that some female members of the Swedish Royal Family took on their husband's surname... That's true but there is one big difference: they didn't have succession rights to begin with! Let's take Princess Margaretha as an example: she didn't have succession rights to begin with so when she married a non-noble Swede she became Princess Margarethe, Fru Ambler. This is not the case with Victoria and also for Madeleine, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same sollution is going to aply for Madeleine's future husband.

As for names: let's wait for the announcement of the pregnancy and then discuss names!

If their first born heir is FEMALE = Ulrika Eleonora (homage to the last reigning queen prior to Victoria)

Or if their first born heir is MALE = Erik (to many "Carl's" in that family)

If there are twins, then the first born would be heir to the throne. Since Victoria is in her early 30's, she probably will have her first child before she's 35 years old. That's my guess.

I really can't see anyone royal or not waiting till they are in their 40's to have children. This is why a lot of women who wait too long end up having difficulty having children. There a big difference between having a child in your mid 20's and mid-30's. Since I don't have children, I can't speak for myself. However, some women I know who had children during the different decades said in their 30's, they were tired and it was more physically demanding on their bodies than it was when they were younger. It's also more difficult to become pregnant as a woman ages.

well there's always Johan, Philip, Bertil or Arthur for boy's names. I'd imagine Alice would be, if not the first name for a daughter, then one of her names for Silvia's mother. Then maybe Amalie or Josephine (after Madeleine), Ingrid would probably be a middle name (it seems to be a very popular name for the Scandinavian royal families - Queen Ingrid was very beloved!), and maybe Renate.

Well, whatever association goes with the name, Adolf, it's still a family name so it might pop up somewhere.

That's true, but if memory serves it was a family name before Hitler's rise to power. It more than likely had wonderful connotations but now.....not so much. Parents need to be a little more cognizant of the names they give their kids, and how those kids will be viewed BECAUSE of the names.

While I don't think their child will be teased or picked on or anything like that, people will question the reasoning behind using the name, even if it's historical. I mean, Bertha could be an historical name....but would you really name your daughter that?

That's true, but if memory serves it was a family name before Hitler's rise to power. It more than likely had wonderful connotations but now.....not so much. Parents need to be a little more cognizant of the names they give their kids, and how those kids will be viewed BECAUSE of the names.

While I don't think their child will be teased or picked on or anything like that, people will question the reasoning behind using the name, even if it's historical. I mean, Bertha could be an historical name....but would you really name your daughter that?
Adolph is an old swedish name and sorry, Hitler does not come to mind when a Swede hears that name not anymore than Charles immediately remind us in the US about Manson.

Names go in and out of popularity. Who would have thought Abigail would become popular again?

Adolph is an old swedish name and sorry, Hitler does not come to mind when a Swede hears that name not anymore than Charles immediately remind us in the US about Manson.

Names go in and out of popularity. Who would have thought Abigail would become popular again?

But while Sweden has no public "we-adore-Charles-Manson"-group, it has a widely known aggressive Neonazi group.
Those and many posters on Flashback would have a great day, if the little heir would be named Adolf.
Further the biggest market for "Royal glory made in Sweden" is Germany and both, the king´s grandfather and the father of the queen were members of the NSDAP.
Diplomacy doesn´t "allow" this name. Not yet. Some "survivors" are still alive - and some of those also live in Sweden.
In other words I´d bet 100.000 SEK this name won´t be chosen. ;)

My bet is on Oscar (very popular at the moment and IMO the couple has a weakness for "mainstream"), Gustaf or Carl + a relatively "new" name in the family, which would though fit Royalty (like Philip in "Carl Philip")

For a girl I´d say Christina/Kristina. It´s one of Ewa Westling´s names, it´s the name of beloved aunt Princess Christina and of a Swedish Queen of course.

I would love it they picked the name Erik for their son (if they have one). It's an old Swedish king name and there hasn't been any king Eriks for a long while. For a girl, I'd love them to pick Kristina.

Adolph is an old swedish name and sorry, Hitler does not come to mind when a Swede hears that name not anymore than Charles immediately remind us in the US about Manson....
But Adolf has always goes together with Gustav for Swedish Royalty.

So if male it will be: Gustav, Carl or Carl something (. I think it ios time for a Gustav and since he would have a uneven number it should not be Adolf intead just Gustav*.

If female, it will not be Ulrika Eleonora since thats the only unsucessfull Queen Regant we hade. Pretty much anything else could be possibel, my bet is on Margareta [Margaret in english]

(flirting with the current Queen of Denmark, and honouring the most succesfful rulingh Queen in Scandinavian history- and quiet possible the most sucessfull Scandinavian ruler of all time)

*Swedish kings with the nmame Gustav or Gustaf:
Gustav
Gustav II Adolf
Gustav III
Gustav IV Adolf
Gustav V
Gustav VI Adolf
They tried to get a Gustav VII Adolf but he died when he was still a crownprince :( (the current Kings father, so I hope they don't try that again)

Last edited:
Margaretha is also the King's grandmother, correct?

Margaretha is also the King's grandmother, correct?

Yes, Margaret of Connaught was his grandmother (he had though never met her, as she was dying 26 years before his birth)
I guess therefore Margrethe was an obvious choice for Ingrid (honoring her late mother, but also Danish history)

I´d be though surprised, if Victoria and Daniel would choose it. Just a feeling.

I think the name Amanda is pretty. I also like the names of Alexandria. I like the name Victoria. Perhaps the Crown Princess could name her child if it is a girl Victoria. Since Kings have been named after their fathers, why couldn't Crown Princess Victoria if she has a daughter name her after her. If she had a son she could name him Victor. If she had twins (a boy and a girl) she could name them Victor and Victoria. I must admit though Victor doesn't sound very royal. Victoria does. If her firstborn is a girl and she names her Victoria, then it will be the first time in history that a female heir to the throne has named her child after her.

It took them 8 years to finally walk down the aisle, I doubt very seriously she'll be having a baby within the next year.
I think that if they weren't royal or if they had been able to decide for themselves, they would have gotten married ages ago. Wasn't it partly due to Daniel's illness, prince school, suitability to be a part of royal family and all that kind of things that they had to wait this long to be married? I believe that they will try for a baby as soon as possible, because they aren't that young anymore and both love children and it is nearly a tradition to make a baby straight away. ;)

I saw an article in a newspaper that talked about how different countries or culture view marriage and courtship. It was said that in Scandinavia people in general don't rush into marriage. They have a long period of courtship (several years) before they walk down the aisle. They generally don't have quick marriages like they do in the United States. In the United States a couple could go to Las Vegas and get married that day almost. In Scadinavia people would think you were nuts to do such a thing especially if you only knew each other less than a year or for a brief period.

Because the royal couple has been together for a long time, it is much more likely that they will have a happy marriage than someone who knew each other less than a year.

I think that if they weren't royal or if they had been able to decide for themselves, they would have gotten married ages ago. Wasn't it partly due to Daniel's illness, prince school, suitability to be a part of royal family and all that kind of things that they had to wait this long to be married? I believe that they will try for a baby as soon as possible, because they aren't that young anymore and both love children and it is nearly a tradition to make a baby straight away. ;)

No, I think they just didn't want to get married until they felt like they were damn good and ready. Which is how it should be, royal or otherwise. You get married when you and your partner thinks you're ready -- not a moment before. As for their ages.....there's nothing keeping them from waiting a while before starting a family, neither of them are in their 50s, you know.

No, I think they just didn't want to get married until they felt like they were damn good and ready. Which is how it should be, royal or otherwise. You get married when you and your partner thinks you're ready -- not a moment before. As for their ages.....there's nothing keeping them from waiting a while before starting a family, neither of them are in their 50s, you know.

Quite right. :flowers:
I rushed royal marriage, is worse than a rushed non-royal marriage.

As much as I like the name Carl, Victoria's father and brother share that name. Perhaps a name like Daniel Gustaf if she has a boy.

I've noticed that in a lot of royal families, the same first names and middle names are used over and over again. Must be very interesting at a family gathering when a family member calls out someone's name, several people turn around. This I can speak from experience. I share my grandmother name.

I would guess that first names or royals are used over and over again as a matter of tradition because I've never seen any royal edict or any law that said that royals could only name their children from a list of approved names.

As much as I like the name Carl, Victoria's father and brother share that name. Perhaps a name like Daniel Gustaf if she has a boy.
Daniel I Gustaf of Sweden. I bet approval of Moparchy would drop almost liek a stone :)

I've noticed that in a lot of royal families, the same first names and middle names are used over and over again. Must be very interesting at a family gathering when a family member calls out someone's name, several people turn around. This I can speak from experience. I share my grandmother name.
Not really a problem royalty get pet names used by close realitves and friends very early. If I recall right Queen Margreth of Denmark used one (Putte?) for Count Carl Johan Bernadotte (her mothers brother) during the recent wedding in Sweden.

In the first six months of 2011, I expect I'm happy news.
I think a baby boy ...

CP Victoria is such a modern, head-strong woman (and this is a good thing). I think she has "a lot on her plate" (as the common phrase goes) with her duties and helping Prince Daniel adjust to his new role. Besides, mid-thirties is not the end of fertility! She can wait a couple of years if she chooses. Most doctors agree that it's only around age 40 that women should worry. I hope she waits a bit, but I doubt it. I think there will be a late 2011 or early/mid 2012 baby for the handsome couple.

Having a summer-long honeymoon, I wouldn't be surprised if Victoria was pregnant when they returned. But you never know! I think some time next year there will be an announcement if not birth. Hopefully they don't run into problems conceiving.

I love royal babies! :)

I hope they have a child next year (purely because I want to see cute baby pictures!). I also noticed that the King included a not-so-subtle hint for grandchildren in his wedding speech:

'I wish that you also one day will be able to experience such happiness that we feel today.'

:D

I have watched the speach given by Olle Westling and after the speach Victora hugs him. THEN i got the impression of the following: She said something to him that made him stir a bit, then i think he said Är du? (you are?) and then the second hug. I translated that into that she alread was pregnant. But back to the issue of the name.

Lowest odds are Carl or Gustav, but there is also pretty low odds on Oscar(we had 2 kings named Oscar) and Erik. Olof will not play well with many in the people that had a grudge against Olof Palme.

If its a girl then everything is up in the air since there is so many queennames in the swedish history but only 2 ruling queens.

I have watched the speach given by Olle Westling and after the speach Victora hugs him. THEN i got the impression of the following: She said something to him that made him stir a bit, then i think he said Är du? (you are?) and then the second hug. I translated that into that she alread was pregnant. But back to the issue of the name.

Lowest odds are Carl or Gustav, but there is also pretty low odds on Oscar(we had 2 kings named Oscar) and Erik. Olof will not play well with many in the people that had a grudge against Olof Palme.

If its a girl then everything is up in the air since there is so many queennames in the swedish history but only 2 ruling queens.

If she was pregnant at the wedding, then they did a marvellous job with dyed water ;)

I´d guess his violent death more than 20 years ago, was sweeping all grudge against Olof Palme away.
At least it´s a name a lot easier to give than Adolf IMO.
But it´s not very modern and the couple seems a bit "mainstream", my bet is on Oscar and boy.
They look like "boy parents" IMO. ;)

I hope it's a boy as I prefer it when it is a male heir to the throne. I don't mind it being a girl when it's only girls who have been born but if a boy and girl child appears I think the male should take precedence. I don't know why I feel like that but I just do and I hope they don't change things in Britain or Spain. BTW I'm only 34, just in case you all think I'm in my 80's.

I hope it's a boy as I prefer it when it is a male heir to the throne. I don't mind it being a girl when it's only girls who have been born but if a boy and girl child appears I think the male should take precedence. I don't know why I feel like that but I just do and I hope they don't change things in Britain or Spain. BTW I'm only 34, just in case you all think I'm in my 80's.

Ironic then, that you are posting on a board for CP Victoria, a woman whose position is exactly what you disdain. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I just think this is an odd place to mention it.:whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom