The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
Ok...I am perplexed about some things. During KH's marriage she wasn't that close to her kids was she? It seems she was pretty content on having them attend boarding school and her doing her duties. Maybe I am wrong, but why does she want to be close to her kids now?
well i think she loves her children very much everytime and not because of KH's dead.
and i think they always wanted the best education for their children.i think she was and is always missing them.

Old 04-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Radhai

some women don't have the 'mommy gene'. there are some women who can get on the floor and play with the kids, read bedtime stories, bake cupcakes and instill good discipline. and then there are others who think these things are best left to the professionals.

maybe qnoor is one of the 'professional' type. no reason screwing up the kiddos because you are personally not very maternal.

just an idea.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Royal Highness

Yeah. you all are most likely right. I am glad that they have some place to go, be fed, do their laundry, get burped and sent back out into the real world (that was not her exact quote, but one gets the jist).
Old 04-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Serene Highness

The Difficulties of Being Noor

I was talking to someone who gave a very good explanation for Noor's complex relationships with her children and, perhaps, Hussein's children from earlier marriages. She had/has very complicated relationships with her own parents and had a challenging upbringing, to say the least. Her father was very much on the career fast-track throughout his life and doesn't seem like he was all that devoted to his family--so there was a lot of moving around, no sense of permanency, and he eventually left his wife for another woman. Her mother seems like she had to bottle a lot of her own frustrations and showed her anger by getting upset over rather trivial things like Noor's fascination with her Arab roots over her Swedish ones. Noor was the one who revealed that in an interview in VF and in her book. Najeeb Halaby, by her account, was a driven man and drove his own children--particularly his eldest, Noor--incessantly. Her "fascination with her Arab roots" may have stemmed, in part, from her desire to please him. This constant need to please is very hard. Interestingly enough, both of our "American royals," Grace and Noor, had fathers whose favor they couldn't seem to win, both as children and as adults. Both came from what can only be described as cold, judgemental and sometimes harsh families.

I'm not a psychologist but those dynamics would have to make it hard to trust and bond normally with kids, spouses, friends, anyone.....as you feel you can never be fully yourself because, deep down, you've been brought up to believe nothing you do is good enough resulting in a constant struggle for acceptance. That may explain why she won't speak her mind on matters like her son's being passed over in the succession. Yes, it's good politics but it was, it had to have been hurtful. I wish she would have said just that much to Larry King the other night. "It had to have hurt?" he asked her. Why not simply say "yes." That's a normal personal emotion people can empathize with. But to admit such a thing was not acceptable with her parents--and therefore would not be something she would allow herself to say--or maybe even feel. She's very adept at distancing herself from troubling emotions.

At an age when many women report they are satisfied with their lives, she doesn't appear to be all that happy in hers. She crafted a life in Jordan and I think she could not have envisioned it coming to an end and what would happen when it did end. Of all her homes, she said her happiest times were in Aqaba. She has lost that home. I think she genuinely wanted to help people in Jordan. The degree to which she can do that has been stifled--whether out of wilingness to step aside and give King Abdullah and Queen Rania center stage or because she feels unwelcome. In the beginning, she tried to reach out to King Hussein's children from his other marriages and was repeatedly snubbed by some of them. That had to have been a blow to someone who describes herself as an "idealist" and came into the marriage believing she could pull everyone together and "be a real family". You can only offer yourself up so many times if it results in feelings of rejection. It says something--to me--that Prince Feisal, who I respect greatly as he seems a very kind man, maintains contact with her and participated in her book. Abir, as well. Both seem to have their heads on straight and would not want to have much to do with her if she were a monster.

She is beautiful, poised, possesses exquisite manners, is diplomatically savvy and yet seemingly lacks the skills needed to be a close mother and friend. Her close friend, Marion Freeman is quoted as saying "she's played the role [of Queen] for so long, in many ways she has become the role." Now that that role has been set aside, from where do you draw your identity? I respect her so much--for many reasons. I wish she would find greater personal happiness and closer bonds with her children would be the logical choice. Her ability to do so, given all she was taught as a child, makes that difficult, if not impossible. So she keeps her whirlwind schedule, traveling constantly and putting on a good face because she wants to or because she doesn't know what else to do?

Has anyone heard if Suzanne Finstad's biography of Noor will be coming out soon? She's a good writer and, while empathetic toward Noor, would present a factual account. It was intriguing to hear her speak of Noor's reaction to her husband's infatuation or whatever it was with the journalist before he was diagnosed with cancer: "She was clearly struggling but somehow managed to hold her head high publicly. One on one, the pain she was holding inside was evident. Her words were not as carefully put and she seemed dazed, bewildered and wounded." I hope that book will be published. I suspect it was set aside when Noor wrote her own book--but it may still see the light of day. If it's as well-researched as Finstad's book on Natalie Wood, it would be an excellent read on Noor.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
I was talking to someone who gave a very good explanation for Noor's complex relationships with her children and, perhaps, Hussein's children from earlier marriages. She had/has very complicated relationships with her own parents and had a challenging upbringing, to say the least. Her father was very much on the career fast-track throughout his life and doesn't seem like he was all that devoted to his family--so there was a lot of moving around, no sense of permanency, and he eventually left his wife for another woman. Her mother seems like she had to bottle a lot of her own frustrations and showed her anger by getting upset over rather trivial things like Noor's fascination with her Arab roots over her Swedish ones. Noor was the one who revealed that in an interview in VF and in her book. Najeeb Halaby, by her account, was a driven man and drove his own children--particularly his eldest, Noor--incessantly. Her "fascination with her Arab roots" may have stemmed, in part, from her desire to please him. This constant need to please is very hard. Interestingly enough, both of our "American royals," Grace and Noor, had fathers whose favor they couldn't seem to win, both as children and as adults. Both came from what can only be described as cold, judgemental and sometimes harsh families.

I'm not a psychologist but those dynamics would have to make it hard to trust and bond normally with kids, spouses, friends, anyone.....as you feel you can never be fully yourself because, deep down, you've been brought up to believe nothing you do is good enough resulting in a constant struggle for acceptance. That may explain why she won't speak her mind on matters like her son's being passed over in the succession. Yes, it's good politics but it was, it had to have been hurtful. I wish she would have said just that much to Larry King the other night. "It had to have hurt?" he asked her. Why not simply say "yes." That's a normal personal emotion people can empathize with. But to admit such a thing was not acceptable with her parents--and therefore would not be something she would allow herself to say--or maybe even feel. She's very adept at distancing herself from troubling emotions.

At an age when many women report they are satisfied with their lives, she doesn't appear to be all that happy in hers. She crafted a life in Jordan and I think she could not have envisioned it coming to an end and what would happen when it did end. Of all her homes, she said her happiest times were in Aqaba. She has lost that home. I think she genuinely wanted to help people in Jordan. The degree to which she can do that has been stifled--whether out of wilingness to step aside and give King Abdullah and Queen Rania center stage or because she feels unwelcome. In the beginning, she tried to reach out to King Hussein's children from his other marriages and was repeatedly snubbed by some of them. That had to have been a blow to someone who describes herself as an "idealist" and came into the marriage believing she could pull everyone together and "be a real family". You can only offer yourself up so many times if it results in feelings of rejection. It says something--to me--that Prince Feisal, who I respect greatly as he seems a very kind man, maintains contact with her and participated in her book. Abir, as well. Both seem to have their heads on straight and would not want to have much to do with her if she were a monster.

She is beautiful, poised, possesses exquisite manners, is diplomatically savvy and yet seemingly lacks the skills needed to be a close mother and friend. Her close friend, Marion Freeman is quoted as saying "she's played the role [of Queen] for so long, in many ways she has become the role." Now that that role has been set aside, from where do you draw your identity? I respect her so much--for many reasons. I wish she would find greater personal happiness and closer bonds with her children would be the logical choice. Her ability to do so, given all she was taught as a child, makes that difficult, if not impossible. So she keeps her whirlwind schedule, traveling constantly and putting on a good face because she wants to or because she doesn't know what else to do?

Has anyone heard if Suzanne Finstad's biography of Noor will be coming out soon? She's a good writer and, while empathetic toward Noor, would present a factual account. It was intriguing to hear her speak of Noor's reaction to her husband's infatuation or whatever it was with the journalist before he was diagnosed with cancer: "She was clearly struggling but somehow managed to hold her head high publicly. One on one, the pain she was holding inside was evident. Her words were not as carefully put and she seemed dazed, bewildered and wounded." I hope that book will be published. I suspect it was set aside when Noor wrote her own book--but it may still see the light of day. If it's as well-researched as Finstad's book on Natalie Wood, it would be an excellent read on Noor.

:(
yes thats my opinion too about noor!
i think the same,surely we dont know.
but i think she had a hard and sad life and tried to make a happy family.i really think shes a sensitive and lovely woman.and i hope so too that she will feel better with the time. :)
Old 04-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Serene Highness

2nd Shot of Noor with Meg Ryan

Noor being photographed by Meg Ryan from "Glamour."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noorinsf20.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	126639  
Old 04-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
She had/has very complicated relationships with her own parents and had a challenging upbringing, to say the least. Najeeb Halaby, by her account, was a driven man and drove his own children--particularly his eldest, Noor--incessantly.
I concur with much of what you say, MS. I think what it comes down to for QN is that it's difficult for her to give to her own children what she herself was not given. How can anyone give away something that was never given to her in the first place?

Quote:
She's very adept at distancing herself from troubling emotions.
Agree. And the corollary to this is that she's also good at creating the illusion that all is well when, clearly, it is not.

Quote:
She crafted a life in Jordan and I think she could not have envisioned it coming to an end and what would happen when it did end.
But this I find odd. She came into her position through marriage and so, it seems to me, she could've easily predicted she would lose it when her marriage ended. KH was 16 years older than her. I think most women in that position would've given a lot of thought to what they would do with themselves in the event of a long widowhood.

Quote:
I wish she would find greater personal happiness and closer bonds with her children would be the logical choice. Her ability to do so, given all she was taught as a child, makes that difficult, if not impossible. So she keeps her whirlwind schedule, traveling constantly and putting on a good face because she wants to or because she doesn't know what else to do?
Personally, I think she maintains a heavy travel schedule in part because it allows her to feel busy and productive without really having to deal with the people in her life on a deep, meaningful level. I've seen her a couple times in recent months, and both times she looked bone weary. She had on her game face, but her eyes looked dead. I don't think she's a happy, fulfilled woman, but I hope I'm wrong about that. :(
Old 04-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Royal Highness

Thaniks for your analysis maryshawn. I guess it is good that she travels alot in order to spread her message. But I wish that she would find as much pleasure (if she doesn't) in just relaxing and enjoying life. That is productive too. But maybe she feels if she does that than she won't feel important anymore.

How do others (particularly in the JRF) feel about PFaisal being nice to QN? He nad PAlia and also PGhida and Talal are very nice to her.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness

Noor: Life After Hussein

You are so right about it being important to just relax and enjoy yourself! More people should realize the value of it. Some people, Noor perhaps being one of them, rely on incessant activity as they can't bear to have downtime and the resultant quiet. Too painful to be alone with one's thoughts.

I wanted to clarify the point about Noor not being ready or prepared for life after KH. Perhaps she thought she was but the life she'd envisioned didn't turn out as she'd imagined. Reality seldom lives up to the expectations of fantasies. She also told an interviewer right after his death she'd imagined they would have another 15 or 20 years together. I'm not in her head but I took that at face value and went on to extrapolate on my own that by that time Hamzah would have been mature enough and suitably prepared to be King. That would make Noor Queen Mother--a far more advantageous position to be in. She would have been 60-ish and the path might have seemed a lot clearer as, for one thing, her role would have been more firmly entrenched in Jordan. She's kind of at the "awkward age" with many productive years ahead of her and I would think she is asking herself about what she is going to do with her time and talents. That seems to be the big dilemma for her. Eventually, the book tour will come to an end--and then what?

I credit a lot of the weariness others and I see in her lately to signs of some internal struggle regarding what to do with the next chapter of her life--particularly since the first ones revolved around trying to please others--her father, her husband, her new country,..... What does a Queen in name only do for an encore? She might take a page from Jacqueline Kennedy's book and return to a private life engaged in the activities she'd learned in college and surrounded by one's children. I thought one author's description of Mrs. Kennedy's last 20 years was wonderful--and relevant: Jackie struggled to recapture her old life with all the power and glory, only to discover that the key to her happiness lay where she least expected to find it--in the simple pleasures of family, friendship, work and nature."
Old 04-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Aristocracy

Wink

Mary, QN looks a very lonely woman, I think she learnt during the 21 years she lived in Jordan as a Queen, not to disclose her real feelings to media and to ppl outside of the RF- have u heard KA when he dismissed Hamzah or Ham's reply to KA, they all seem to have an obsessive fear that anything, even the slightest and less important thing about their Family, could be disclosed to media or to ppl outside their Family ,- I think QN is trying not to upset KA more than he is already, at least he looks quite mad at her and at Hamzah- she doesn't want to stir any more trouble and to lead KA to the decision that nor she nor her kids can visit Jordan anymore- well, that's what I think, I may be wrong, of course......:) :)
Old 04-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Aristocracy

Question

I often read Queen Nur, so I assumed her name was pronounced like that, now I heard she is called Q Noor, with a long vowel, is that what she's called in US, while she's called Nur in Jordan ?
Old 04-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Nobility

She's Noor in both Jordan and the USA, Nur is a misspelling just like Hashem and Hamzeh...if you check out her book she spells her name as Noor and similarly if you check out her website the spelling is Noor...hope that clears it up.

-Eliza
Old 04-17-2005, 02:31 AM
Royal Highness

Actually in arabic it is Nur. There is no o or oo. But I guess it is easier to spell it Noor.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:39 AM
Nobility

Actually Reina there is oo that's the letter "waw":

check out this website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_alphabet

if you scroll down to where the arabic letters are it's the second to last letter and when it is in between two other letters it gives a long "oo" and queen noor uses this letter in her name.

-Eliza
Old 04-17-2005, 03:11 AM
Royal Highness

Yeah...it has the pronunciation, but not the letter. So in arabic it is spelled Nur.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Nobility

yes actually Reina there is a wya to spell QN's name that woul give the letters n o o r but usually that extra letter is not written because it is implied that the arabs will know it is there, here is how QN's name would be spelt with that extra letter

نوُر

Eliza-
Old 04-17-2005, 04:57 AM
Serene Highness

Time to start a new thread! Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread, with comments and photos. The new thread for Queen Noor can be found here: Queen Noor News Thread II