Queen Noor- News Thread III

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with those who say P. Hamzah has always had a rather serious demeanor. I think it is his personality and also perhaps the way he feels he should best comport himself as a member of the JRF. I have looked at photos of him and read his comments and those made about him by KA and don't think he feels or is being made to feel uncomfortable in Jordan. I think he takes his responsibilities very seriously and that is not a bad thing. I recently heard he accompanied his sister, Princess Raiyah, to university and made sure she was properly settled in; kind of a fatherly thing to do for a younger sister and that impressed me. Certainly, I wish KH had not been so adamant and public about a seeming favoritism toward Hamzah as it must have hurt some of his siblings. It's a good point, however, that Hamzah was set aside as CP at an early enough age he has many opportunities to do other things. He's young. He has his entire life before him. I think he will be a credit to his country and his family and I also believe there is enough to do so he will be given many chances to make substantive contributions within Jordan. I find him a likeable individual who is very dignified. He certainly strikes me as someone who is evolving into a man one can count on and turn to for support, as evidenced by his bringing Raiyah to university and making sure she was settled in properly. I find both Hamzah and his wife very gracious individuals.

Surely, Queen Noor was shock and upset when KA surprisingly stripped his bro's crown prince title..It created a rift on their relationship but I think everybody has moved on now..I think its better that Hamzah has been informed by this early rather than finding out later on lets say 10-15 years from now that he's gonna be stripped by the title,its more hurting..The moment he was named as crown prince,I had doubts on it..I had a feeling that history will repeat itself-the king stripping his bro the crown prince title and making his eldest son as the heir..King Hussein wanted his son to be his heir and so is King Abdullah..

maryshawn said:
I agree with those who say P. Hamzah has always had a rather serious demeanor. I think it is his personality and also perhaps the way he feels he should best comport himself as a member of the JRF. I have looked at photos of him and read his comments and those made about him by KA and don't think he feels or is being made to feel uncomfortable in Jordan. I think he takes his responsibilities very seriously and that is not a bad thing. I recently heard he accompanied his sister, Princess Raiyah, to university and made sure she was properly settled in; kind of a fatherly thing to do for a younger sister and that impressed me. Certainly, I wish KH had not been so adamant and public about a seeming favoritism toward Hamzah as it must have hurt some of his siblings. It's a good point, however, that Hamzah was set aside as CP at an early enough age he has many opportunities to do other things. He's young. He has his entire life before him. I think he will be a credit to his country and his family and I also believe there is enough to do so he will be given many chances to make substantive contributions within Jordan. I find him a likeable individual who is very dignified. He certainly strikes me as someone who is evolving into a man one can count on and turn to for support, as evidenced by his bringing Raiyah to university and making sure she was settled in properly. I find both Hamzah and his wife very gracious individuals.

I strongly agree with you , Couldn't have said that better. Thank you.

maryshawn said:
I recently heard he accompanied his sister, Princess Raiyah, to university and made sure she was properly settled in; kind of a fatherly thing to do for a younger sister and that impressed me. .

It is strange how history repeats itself. I remember hearing that Prince Hassan was the one who took his younger sister into university, and settled her in. I wondered at the time where her mother, Queen Zein was, and I also wonder now, where Queen Noor was !

I didn't know that about Prince Hassan.....but I have to admit I am really puzzled why Queen Noor didn't take her daughter to university. Kudos to Hassan and now Hamzah for their sensitivity and kindness--but what the heck is going on with these mothers who abdicate such responsibilities for their children to others? It's not as if QN has more to do than Hamzah. I hate to say it but sometimes it seems the male members of the JRF take a greater interest in the well-being of the next generation than the women. I don't understand.......
shelley said:
It is strange how history repeats itself. I remember hearing that Prince Hassan was the one who took his younger sister into university, and settled her in. I wondered at the time where her mother, Queen Zein was, and I also wonder now, where Queen Noor was !

maryshawn said:
I didn't know that about Prince Hassan.....but I have to admit I am really puzzled why Queen Noor didn't take her daughter to university. Kudos to Hassan and now Hamzah for their sensitivity and kindness--but what the heck is going on with these mothers who abdicate such responsibilities for their children to others? It's not as if QN has more to do than Hamzah. I hate to say it but sometimes it seems the male members of the JRF take a greater interest in the well-being of the next generation than the women. I don't understand.......

is there any article about that she didnt do?
maybe she did and hamza was with her - but they only wrote hamza did it?
i always believe in the good of human beings.
i hope you are not right :eek:

closesttoheaven said:
is there any article about that she didnt do?
maybe she did and hamza was with her - but they only wrote hamza did it?
i always believe in the good of human beings.
i hope you are not right :eek:

LOL I didn't read about the whole story and I am amazed how some members read stuff ,we in Jordan never hear of

lil Monkey said:
LOL I didn't read about the whole story and I am amazed how some members read stuff ,we in Jordan never hear of

good - i searched on google and didnt find anything about.i cannot imagine that it really was this way.
or i hope it wasnt that way :D

WHat's the big deal about her not dropping her 20-something year old daughter off (if i'm not mistaken about her age). My brother dropped me off of college b/f my first year. I think that is better than having a possibly emotional mother dropping you off and possibly nagging you. I really don't see the big deal.

Well, this is going well. How about any mention of QN's being in Jordan to celebrate the 20th anniversary of her Foundation? I believe it was covered in Petra but wondered what the festivities consisted of beyond the meeting I saw her attending with a gathering of women who have presumably benefitted from the NHF. Was KHF established around the same time or before or after his death? I would assume, as King, he might have had a Foundation of his own.

maryshawn said:
Was KHF established around the same time or before or after his death? I would assume, as King, he might have had a Foundation of his own.
It was established after his death.

Ah, yes, wasn't there a rather big book published to raise funds and celebrate his life about a year after his death or sooner? I thought it was being promoted on the KHF forum as a fundraiser. Anyone read it?

maryshawn said:
Ah, yes, wasn't there a rather big book published to raise funds and celebrate his life about a year after his death or sooner? I thought it was being promoted on the KHF forum as a fundraiser. Anyone read it?
I've seen it in Jordan at the Jordan Design and Trade Centre (QN's foundation's shop) and in five-star hotel gift shops. It runs around JD75, as I recall. It is primarily a picture book, so there's not much to read. And I don't know whether it raised much money for his foundation. It seemed more a tribute to his life and a vanity project than a major money maker.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Some more pictures from the ACC on July 24
From Abaca, Polfoto, and Fotomarktplatz

Is the guy in the pictures Ricky Martin? 'Cause he sure looks like him!

Mahoogie said:
Surely, Queen Noor was shock and upset when KA surprisingly stripped his bro's crown prince title..It created a rift on their relationship but I think everybody has moved on now..I think its better that Hamzah has been informed by this early rather than finding out later on lets say 10-15 years from now that he's gonna be stripped by the title,its more hurting..The moment he was named as crown prince,I had doubts on it..I had a feeling that history will repeat itself-the king stripping his bro the crown prince title and making his eldest son as the heir..King Hussein wanted his son to be his heir and so is King Abdullah..

I agree with you, unfortunately for him PH could never have remained CP while KA has his own son's. I'm sure that all the family have moved on since then.

Of course though its only natural that QN wanted her son 2b CP.

Queen Noor is a naturally tall woman, she towers everyone especially members of the JRF.However, though she's tall, is the Queen still fond of wearing high-heeled shoes?.Is she as tall as Princess Diana?..Diana's height is 5'10", just wondering if she shares the same height as Queen Noor or if Princess Diana is a lot taller or shorter than QN..

Mahoogie said:
Queen Noor is a naturally tall woman, she towers everyone especially members of the JRF.However, though she's tall, is the Queen still fond of wearing high-heeled shoes?.Is she as tall as Princess Diana?..Diana's height is 5'10", just wondering if she shares the same height as Queen Noor or if Princess Diana is a lot taller or shorter than QN..

as far as I know :D :D :D she is 5'8 and most of the time she wears high-heels - or very often....
but i think its possible to find out if shes taller or smaller than princess diana.compare some pictures with charles and diana - and noor and charles.... ;)

Amina said:
I agree with you, unfortunately for him PH could never have remained CP while KA has his own son's. I'm sure that all the family have moved on since then.

Of course though its only natural that QN wanted her son 2b CP.

well, yes, but I can't understand Hamzah's plans, is he getting back to Harvard, where is he now ? where is Hashim ?what do they , the 2 bros ,mean to do in the future ? work in J army, maybe ?

Where is QN these days? She was supposed to be at a bike ride in Aspen a few weekends ago but appeared to be in Amman to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the NHF instead.

I get the feeling she's still struggling with the what to do with the rest of your life as a former Queen whose husband was the ruler--thus, giving her power and influence......

I don't know if she's been asked but she hasn't been interviewed lately, as far as I can tell. The only times I've read about her recently she's been in Amman or Aspen.

maryshawn said:
Where is QN these days? She was supposed to be at a bike ride in Aspen a few weekends ago but appeared to be in Amman to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the NHF instead.

I get the feeling she's still struggling with the what to do with the rest of your life as a former Queen whose husband was the ruler--thus, giving her power and influence......

I don't know if she's been asked but she hasn't been interviewed lately, as far as I can tell. The only times I've read about her recently she's been in Amman or Aspen.

she had some UN meeting weeks ago and dont know anymore.

any news or pix about her?!:confused:

maryshawn said:

I think that a lot of the times the events Q.Noor is involved in may not receive much media attention, like the event in Aspen. I saw some pictures from another event in the US on wireimage but that site isnt accessible to the public.
While she might find her new role difficult she has had more than 6 years to get accustomed to it. I do think that she is quite busy. Aside from the causes she is involved in, Noor also appears frequently at social events in the US. We just dont see the pictures all the time.

Queen Noor speaks in Akron on Tuesday

AKRON: Queen Noor of Jordan will speak at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall.

Her talk is part of the University of Akron Forum Series and is sponsored by the Dorothy Garrett Martin Memorial Delta Gamma Lectureship on Values and Ethics.

Queen Noor was born Lisa Najeeb Halaby to an Arab-American family and married King Hussein of Jordan in 1978. She is chairwoman of the King Hussein Foundation, established in 1999 after the king's death to continue his legacy and humanitarian efforts. She is involved in international organizations to advance development, democracy and peace.

Tickets are $8 each or $4 with UA identification. For tickets, call the E.J. Thomas ticket office at 330-972-7570.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/news/local/states/ohio/counties/stark_county/12899803.htm

It's been so long since I've seen a photo of her I was wondering. Thanks for letting us all know more.

Question. QN trained as an architect and urban planner and did some work--though mainly on her homes--in Jordan. She may have been involved in some urban planning in the smaller cities in Jordan; I thought I'd read as much but can't be 100% sure. In a land where earthquakes occur and can cause serious, horrific damage and loss of life, a reasonable thought might be to use her skills to advise those in the ME, including Jordan, on how to build towns/cities/buildings which will withstand earthquakes. It would "marry," so to speak her interests in her field of study and her love for the ME. Any thoughts?
~*~Humera~*~ said:
I think that a lot of the times the events Q.Noor is involved in may not receive much media attention, like the event in Aspen. I saw some pictures from another event in the US on wireimage but that site isnt accessible to the public.
While she might find her new role difficult she has had more than 6 years to get accustomed to it. I do think that she is quite busy. Aside from the causes she is involved in, Noor also appears frequently at social events in the US. We just dont see the pictures all the time.

UA gets royal treatment

Queen Noor of Jordan shares her story and theory for peace

by Maggie McKinley
Staff Reporter

Queen Noor of Jordan was a guest speaker at E.J.Thomas Hall Tuesday night as part of the Akron Forum Series. Noor said she wants to shed the fairy tale image and promote her method for creating peace.

She may be royalty, but her agenda is a bit heavier than eating crumpets at tea parties. Queen Noor of Jordan made this clear as she spoke at E.J. Thomas Hall Tuesday night. Noor's speech was part of the University of Akron Forum Series. Her speech was sponsored by the Dorothy Garret Martin Memorial Delta Gamma Lectureship on Values and Ethics.

http://www.buchtelite.com/2005/1020/news_02.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
"What unites us is much greater than what we are divided by."

QN said much the same when discussing terrorism when she stated on Larry King "the terrorists have much more in common with one another than they do with the rest of us."

I am curious about what she is paid for these talks and where the fees go--to her foundations? Does she ever do work/talks gratis?

maryshawn said:
Question. QN trained as an architect and urban planner and did some work--though mainly on her homes--in Jordan. She may have been involved in some urban planning in the smaller cities in Jordan; I thought I'd read as much but can't be 100% sure. In a land where earthquakes occur and can cause serious, horrific damage and loss of life, a reasonable thought might be to use her skills to advise those in the ME, including Jordan, on how to build towns/cities/buildings which will withstand earthquakes. It would "marry," so to speak her interests in her field of study and her love for the ME. Any thoughts?

It occured to me that Queen Noor could do a lot to help out with these recent disasters. She has had such a low profile lately and hasn't really done anything of substance this year. Take Bill Clinton, for example, he's helping out in the reconstruction following the tsunami, Katrina, and now he has offered to help with the earthquake in Pakistan.
If Q. Noor feels like she's lacking direction lately, she can turn such disasters, horrible as they may be, into an opportunity. Or if not that, then choose something else.
A few years ago she visited Afghan refugees in Pakistan and met with officials to discuss their plight. But then there was no follow up visit.
Instead of random visits here and there she should take on a cause and stick with it, like she did with landmines. Im not sure if all the speeches she's been doing lately are a substitute for being hands on and personally involved.

I agree totally. But the key is "follow through" and what bothers me is the lack of it--whether we're talking about her visit to the Afghan refugees in Pakistan, the landmines campaign or any of the other "causes" she has embraced, and dropped. It seems she doesn't know quite what to do with herself and yet there is a whole world around her filled with people trying to cope with great tragedy..... and she could indeed make contributions in the form of visiting these places and helping using her profile, contacts and background as Queen and urban planner/architect.
~*~Humera~*~ said:
It occured to me that Queen Noor could do a lot to help out with these recent disasters. She has had such a low profile lately and hasn't really done anything of substance this year. Take Bill Clinton, for example, he's helping out in the reconstruction following the tsunami, Katrina, and now he has offered to help with the earthquake in Pakistan.
If Q. Noor feels like she's lacking direction lately, she can turn such disasters, horrible as they may be, into an opportunity. Or if not that, then choose something else.
A few years ago she visited Afghan refugees in Pakistan and met with officials to discuss their plight. But then there was no follow up visit.
Instead of random visits here and there she should take on a cause and stick with it, like she did with landmines. Im not sure if all the speeches she's been doing lately are a substitute for being hands on and personally involved.

maryshawn said:
I agree totally. But the key is "follow through" and what bothers me is the lack of it--whether we're talking about her visit to the Afghan refugees in Pakistan, the landmines campaign or any of the other "causes" she has embraced, and dropped. It seems she doesn't know quite what to do with herself and yet there is a whole world around her filled with people trying to cope with great tragedy..... and she could indeed make contributions in the form of visiting these places and helping using her profile, contacts and background as Queen and urban planner/architect.

maybe she changed things
she often said she doesnt have any time always moving around and working and she cant stop because of feeling responsible.
maybe she finished some work or stopped some work to have more freetime now.
she was her whole life travelling working and so on....maybe she spends more time with the family and friends now?!
i think if it is this way - she has the right for!
she always worked hard - and i think - shes still working and so on - but we dont hear about?!:confused:

Oh, she's definitely earned her free time or time to spend relaxing or with her family. She worked hard as Queen; she worked hard before that in Iran and Jordan. If she's taking advantage of that and is enjoying herself, that's great. I find her very hard to read though. I don't know if she's fully come to grips with her role as Queen, but really in name only. Her book gave her a focus and the tours to promote it kept her busy. But this is a woman who said she "panicked when she saw all the blank spots in her diary of official activities" in the 80s when the riots were occuring in Jordan. So there's a part of me which feels she needs to feel needed. So now how best to utilize her time and talents to feel professionally and personally satisfied? Her almost listless approach to her foundation, the KHF, and her website makes me wonder how focused and satisfied she is now. But I could be wrong; perhaps she likes her life just as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom